Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
NYC here as well. I estimate I've saved about $1500 () over the past three years with MoviePass.

I liked it better when it was a niche thing, though. Their attempt to appeal to the masses has resulted in starting a war with AMC and now MoviePass has blocked some of the flagship AMC locations from the app.

Still worth it, tho.
Those AMCs returned to the app a couple months ago.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 PM

Well, that's good to know. Clearly I'm behind the times.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:00 PM

I saw this thread last month and remembered it today when I saw this VICE article: The Guy Who Owns MoviePass Says Losing Money Was the Plan All Along

TL;DR version: it's all about collecting and selling data.

Quote:
But the people at the top of the company insist that everything is fine, that itís not really about the $9.95 a month coming from each subscriber. Rather, itís all about the number of subscribers, a.k.a. the vast compendium of data itís getting with each signup. That allows MoviePass to sell studios info about trends, do predictive analysis on which movies will perform well, and push movies to its subscriber base. Once MoviePass acquires enough users, it says, the whole thing will turn the corner.
Quote:
Take yourself out of thereóyour name, your credit card information, we donít need any of that stuff. What we want to know is what are your viewing habits, and then we can give you a better experience from MoviePass by recommending movies that you would like. What we donít want to do is get into the position where if weíre pushing one of our movies, and you have no interest whatsoever in comedy, we donít want to bug you about it. [The data] gives us viewer habits more than anything, which is extremely critical, we think, for advertising with the studios.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

I read the Vice article and I still don't understand how they're going to make money.

They state that they don't sell the data that they gather and that they don't plan to. So they won't make money that way.

They say that it will help them predict what movies will be successful and then use that data to make their own movies which are guaranteed to be successful. But if they're paying for the tickets for those movies, how would they profit from them?

Can they actually make a profit by getting a percentage of concession sales? I'm dubious.

Is it like gym memberships? Are they counting on the vast majority not actually using their memberships?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I read the Vice article and I still don't understand how they're going to make money.

They state that they don't sell the data that they gather and that they don't plan to. So they won't make money that way.

They say that it will help them predict what movies will be successful and then use that data to make their own movies which are guaranteed to be successful. But if they're paying for the tickets for those movies, how would they profit from them?

Can they actually make a profit by getting a percentage of concession sales? I'm dubious.

Is it like gym memberships? Are they counting on the vast majority not actually using their memberships?
Their plan, so far as I understand, is to build up viewership tastes and habits of such a large portion of theater patrons that they can then demand a share of the theater's take of tickets and concessions.

They have already tipped their hand on that. Their whole business plan is to make theaters pay them. The low low membership fee is a way to build up enough patrons in their arsenal.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

The data gathering motivation is a lie, I think. Or at least a small part of their plan.

Do you know what people actually pay for the components of big data like that? A tiny fraction of a cent per data point. They're gaining a fraction of a cent per movie they pay for, but they're paying $10+ for each data point.

Would ford offer you a free car to see which one you picked because if they gave away 5 million cars that's a lot of data about consumer demand? Would a grocery store let you shop there for free to see what products you buy together? Of course not - the cost of what they're giving away dwarfs the value of the data they're getting back.

So, sure, I'm sure they're trying to put that data to good use, but it's only going to recoup a tiny portion of the money they're losing.

Their plan is to make moviepass big enough that a significant fraction of the moviegoing public, possibly even the majority by ticket sales, are moviepass customers. At that point they can threaten to pull moviepass access from any theaters that don't play ball with them, and the theaters would be devastated given how much of the moviegoing public is doing so through moviepass. That threat lets them extort things like lower ticket prices, profit sharing on concessions, etc. Their plan is strictly to become so big that they can start making demands on the industry that would push them towards being profitable. They need to keep the venture capital money coming in and burning it in the hopes that they reach this tipping point.

But movie theaters see what's going on with this and don't want it. This is why you see movie theaters fighting back against this plan even though they "should" be happy for the extra tickets being purchased at full price. They're going to wait out MoviePass until it runs out of all that venture capital it's burning until it dies. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Could it be a huge money laundry?
Old 06-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Could it be a huge money laundry?
Or. If not that, could Movie Pass be a consortium of theater owners bilking some gullible deep pockets (the venture capitalists) into investing buying millions in movie tickets?
Old 06-16-2018, 01:07 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I thinks it's just money laundering for Isis drug operations. But hey, I'm cool with that as long as I get cheap movie tickets.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

All of those extra ticket sales are a payoff to the theaters for not showing the pee pee video.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:30 AM

I just agreed to an updated privacy policy where I had to agree to let moviepass sell anonymized data, but they've made no secret that their ultimate goal is to get the theaters to share profit. The way they see it, the theaters are profiting from Moviepass because a person who sees more movies is spending more on concessions. Especially since a person seeing a "free" movie on their moviepass account is more likely to get a popcorn. So Moviepass drives more bodies to the concession stand and the theaters share the extra revenue.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I just agreed to an updated privacy policy where I had to agree to let moviepass sell anonymized data, but they've made no secret that their ultimate goal is to get the theaters to share profit. The way they see it, the theaters are profiting from Moviepass because a person who sees more movies is spending more on concessions. Especially since a person seeing a "free" movie on their moviepass account is more likely to get a popcorn. So Moviepass drives more bodies to the concession stand and the theaters share the extra revenue.
MP even sent me an e-mail questionnaire asking about my concession-stand habits. I truthfully answered it had no effect whatsoever. We buy the same stuff as we always have.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I'm still confused by it too. I would think their data would be inadequate at the least. MoviePass only is allowed for buying a ticket for that day, while you're at the theater, and for regular screenings and not 3D or IMax or anything like that. So for some of the movies people most want to see when they first come out, or they want to see in 3D or in whatever fancy screenings they might not use MoviePass, but they might use their MoviePass for movies they are somewhat interested in though not as much. So their data might show that fewer people are interested in The Incredibles 2 compared to what the actual interest is in it, but show that more people are interested in Tag that what the actual interest is.

Also, it's definitely a certain segment of the population that has MoviePass. I go to see at least one movie a month, sometimes many more, I did before I had MoviePass and I'm sure I will continue to even if it goes under, I'm not sure how well the information about my moviegoing habits would help translate to making movies that would attract bigger non-MoviePass owning audiences.

I do occasionally see a suggested movie notification pop up on my phone from MoviePass but I usually swipe it away immediately. Maybe those do encourage people to go see things but I'm skeptical.

I'd read some somewhat conspiracy theory about MoviePass. The idea was you get a lot of people to buy MoviePass, and then they get used to paying $10 a month to go see unlimited movies at the theater. Then when they go under people won't go back to paying at least $10 per movie to go to the theater, it will just seem too expensive now. But they might be willing to pay $10 a month for the new HomeMoviePass, a competitor to Netflix. I'm skeptical of that idea as well, I don't know how well that would work, and it seems like a big gamble, but I don't understand how MoviePass plans on making money so anything is possible I guess.

I've already got my money's worth for a year of MoviePass from when I started last November so any more movies I see with it is gravy. I don't expect it to last forever but I will enjoy it while I can.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Their plan is to make moviepass big enough that a significant fraction of the moviegoing public, possibly even the majority by ticket sales, are moviepass customers. At that point they can threaten to pull moviepass access from any theaters that don't play ball with them, and the theaters would be devastated given how much of the moviegoing public is doing so through moviepass. That threat lets them extort things like lower ticket prices, profit sharing on concessions, etc. Their plan is strictly to become so big that they can start making demands on the industry that would push them towards being profitable. They need to keep the venture capital money coming in and burning it in the hopes that they reach this tipping point.
I'm not sure that makes sense. Assuming Moviepass gets big enough to exert some leverage to get more favorable terms from theaters, the theaters have leverage, too. They are the ones with the product that the Moviepass members ultimately want. Moviepass could say to AMC "share your concession revenue with us or we'll cut your theaters off from our service." AMC says "go ahead." Now Moviepass has to tell its members that they can see as many movies as they want for $10 a month, but not at AMC. That's going to diminish the value of their service, and probably cost them customers.

Sure, I suppose that could be their plan, but they're just trying to cut themselves in as a middleman in a business that has been doing just fine without one.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:17 AM

I just got a push notification on my phone from MoviePass saying "Put FAMILY first this Father's Day: GOTTI is now playing!" So either the company distributing Gotti paid MoviePass to promote their movie, or the data they've gathered on my movie going habits and what movie I would be interested in is drastically incorrect. I'm guessing they were paid to promote it.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:03 PM

They bought a stake in the movie.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Taking the ticket photo is not as troublesome as we had feared it might prove. Their app does make it easy. A minor annoyance at worst. However, we're wondering about getting the tickets mixed up. Sometimes they hand us the ticket/receipt pairing separately, sometimes just all at once. When the latter, we can't be sure which ticket goes with which MP card, and they say they want a photo of the exact ticket used with the MP. No problems yet though.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 AM

AMC has responded with their own program called "A List."

$19.95 a month gets you into three films a week. Once you join the program, you show them your ID and your name gets printed on your ticket. You can see two films in a day and you can see the same film multiple times, but there has to be 2 hours between any two films you see on the same day.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/20/...ist-moviepass/

Last edited by gaffa; 06-20-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
I just got a push notification on my phone from MoviePass saying "Put FAMILY first this Father's Day: GOTTI is now playing!" So either the company distributing Gotti paid MoviePass to promote their movie, or the data they've gathered on my movie going habits and what movie I would be interested in is drastically incorrect. I'm guessing they were paid to promote it.
MP actually owns a good chunk of Gotti. (0% at RT. Initially supposed to open in December but was pulled at the last second due to Travolta's #metoo issues.)

Some boxoffice sites are not happy about MP's funny ticket sale accounting to boost the already weak opening weekend numbers for Gotti.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
They bought a stake in the movie.
But if they're buying people the tickets to go see Gotti, how do they make any money off of it? I think any studio could drive up the number of people who see their movies by mailing out pre-paid tickets for it.

To make any sense out if this, we have to assume they see Gotti as a loss leader. They're not going to make any money off of the people who follow their suggestion and use their app to go see the movie. But they're hoping those people will have a favorable opinion of the movie and encourage other people to go see Gotti or they're hoping people will like the idea of being able to see Gotti for free and will sign up for MoviePass.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 06-20-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I dunno, the critical panning of Gotti seems to have Movie Pass in a slight panic: Gotti Is Undertaking the Most Insane Ad Campaign Weíve Ever Seen.

Apparently, the movie has a 0% from critics, but a rather suspicious 76% from viewers.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post

$19.95 a month gets you into three films a week. Once you join the program, you show them your ID and your name gets printed on your ticket. You can see two films in a day and you can see the same film multiple times, but there has to be 2 hours between any two films you see on the same day.

I am a 100% LOYAL AMC Stubs member and this is perfect for me. I've heard basically 90% "good things" about MoviePass, but I just never trusted a 3rd party to work and be long-lasting. I think this program, from a nationally well-known brand that people trust, will beat the pants off it.

I plan on signing up ASAP
Old 06-20-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Programs like this is the best we can hope for as a long term effect of moviepass. Moviepass itself won't last another year, but it may inspire the industry to think about high volume discounted plans like this, which would be a great option for frequent moviegoers. I hope competitors follow suit.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Apparently, the movie has a 0% from critics, but a rather suspicious 76% from viewers.
No kidding. As of me writing this, the RT page for Gotti lists 7,100 user ratings for it (though it's now down to 67%).

Is 7,100 an abnormally large number of user ratings? Well, look at some other current releases, and how many they've gotten:
Book Club: 1,252
Ocean's 8: 4,901
Incredibles 2: 7,930
Adrift: 908

They want me to believe that nearly as many viewers have submitted reviews of Gotti (in limited release, with IMDB indicating a current U.S. box office take of $1.7 million) as have reviewed Incredibles 2 (at $206 million in the U.S.)? As noted on The Playlist, it seems rather fishy.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
I dunno, the critical panning of Gotti seems to have Movie Pass in a slight panic: Gotti Is Undertaking the Most Insane Ad Campaign Weíve Ever Seen.

I did like the "FYI all these critics now have been labeled suppressive" review.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post

Upthread I described the Cinemark Movie Club, which is their response to MoviePass. It's not as cheap, but it does let me pick my seat in advance, which I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Cinemark already introduced their version of Moviepass. It's called the Cinemark Movie Club and costs $8.99 per month. For that you get one ticket for free and any subsequent tickets also cost $8.99. There is a supplement for premium movies (3D, XD, etc.) but there's no charge for buying tickets in advance on the website (while there is a $1.50 "convenience fee" if you're not a member). My local multiplex is Cinemark so I joined this service.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I am a 100% LOYAL AMC Stubs member and this is perfect for me. I've heard basically 90% "good things" about MoviePass, but I just never trusted a 3rd party to work and be long-lasting. I think this program, from a nationally well-known brand that people trust, will beat the pants off it.
Also have an AMC Stubs account.

My family almost always goes to the show together, four tickets at a time. I am assuming we'd need four separate A List accounts ... as opposed to using one or two accounts to get discounted tickets for the kids or something like that.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Programs like this is the best we can hope for as a long term effect of moviepass. Moviepass itself won't last another year, but it may inspire the industry to think about high volume discounted plans like this, which would be a great option for frequent moviegoers. I hope competitors follow suit.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, two different UK chains have had unlimited programs for £17.90 a month for many years - Cineworld Unlimited and Odeon Limitless. It's obvious the model works.

Here's AMC press release (I assume I can quote in full as it's a press release)

Quote:
LEAWOOD, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- AMC Theatresģ (NYSE:AMC) is excited to announce that beginning Tuesday, June 26 the Company is adding a new tier to its AMC Stubs rewards program: AMC Stubs A-List, which rewards guests with up to three movies per week, along with all the benefits of AMC Stubs Premiere, all for just $19.95 (plus tax) per month. Through AMC Stubs A-List, members can enjoy any available showtime*, any AMC location, any format -- including IMAX at AMC, Dolby Cinema at AMC, RealD 3D, Prime at AMC and BigD. AMC Stubs A-List can be used at the spur of the moment or also can make planning ahead days or weeks in advance possible, as securing tickets is made easy via reservations capabilities on the AMCTheatres.com web site, or on the AMC Theatres smartphone app.

AMC Stubs A-List joins AMC Stubs Insider and AMC Stubs Premiere in AMC’s fast-growing AMC Stubs loyalty program. In addition to seeing up to three movies per week, AMC Stubs A-List members also enjoy all the benefits of AMC Stubs Premiere, including free upgrades on popcorn and soda, free refills on large popcorn, express service at the box office and concession stand, no online ticketing fees and 100 points for every $1 spent for the AMC Stubs A-List monthly fee and food and beverage spending at AMC theatres. AMC Stubs Premiere members receive a $5 reward for every 5,000 points earned, which translates to a 10% credit toward future AMC purchases.

“We believe that our current and future loyal guests will be interested in this type of program, as AMC Stubs A-List rewards guests with something that no one else offers: the very best of AMC, including IMAX, Dolby Cinema and RealD 3D up to 3 times per week, for one simple, sustainable price,” said Adam Aron, CEO and President, AMC Theatres.

Aron added, “Since its inception in 2011, AMC Stubs has continued to evolve to meet the needs of its customers, as it did in 2016 when we introduced the free tier, AMC Stubs Insider. AMC Stubs A-List is AMC’s next evolution of delivering amazing benefits to our loyal customers, and we’re excited to continue to grow the program by leaps and bounds.”

Starting on Tuesday, June 26, AMC Stubs A-List members can enroll online for $19.95 a month (plus tax) and can begin using their benefits immediately.
Given that a single Dolby Cinema ticket is more than $20 at the AMC River East, it looks like a good deal.

Timed for traditional new movie openings, each and every "week" starting from Friday through the following Thursday, AMC Stubs A-List members can see up to three movies at any U.S. AMC location through their A-List membership, however there is no carryover from week to week, if fewer than 3 movies are seen. They can even see all three movies on the same day, with a two-hour buffer in between each showtime. And they can see individual movies they have previously seen. Guests can get their ticket online, and in advance, allowing them to reserve that opening night seat for the summer’s hottest blockbuster. Advance reservations can be held for a maximum of 3 movies at any one time in the current or for future weeks.

Last edited by gaffa; 06-20-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Also have an AMC Stubs account.

My family almost always goes to the show together, four tickets at a time. I am assuming we'd need four separate A List accounts ... as opposed to using one or two accounts to get discounted tickets for the kids or something like that.
For sure this is the case. Fortunately for Mrs. Cups and I, it's just the two of us.

I'm mostly psyched I get to keep my card for the special "members only" line. I get such smug satisfaction when I stroll right up in that line and skip all the chumps waiting.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Got an e-mail from moviepass

Quote:

In the coming weeks, we will roll out three different upgrades to our base $9.95 service for our members.

Bring-A-Guest: MoviePass members will be able to purchase extra tickets to a showing of a movie right through the MoviePass app, so that you can seamlessly reserve seats for you and your friends (at e-ticketing partner theaters) to watch a film even if they aren’t MoviePass subscribers. As a benefit, if your friend signs up for MoviePass within 24 hours, we’ll refund the entire cost of the ticket!

Peak Pricing: MoviePass is committed to maintaining our low monthly price as we continue to grow rapidly. Rather than raise our prices or limit viewings, our plan has been to develop a new variable pricing system based on the demand for particular showtimes. Under this plan, if the combination of demand for a title, date or part of day is higher, subscribers may be asked to pay a small additional fee depending on the level of demand. You can avoid this peak surcharge by choosing an alternative date or film. We will also soon give subscribers one “peak pass” per month, allowing them to waive a Peak Price surcharge once per month. Annual and Quarterly subscribers will not incur peak pricing until their current subscription term ends and then renews.

Premium Showings: MoviePass members on any plan will soon be able to access RealD 3D, IMAX 2D or 3D, and other Premium Large Format showings of any film for an additional upgrade fee.
Okay, so IMAX/3d upgrade sounds good. See the movie for $3 or whatever on top of your moviepass. Great.

The first one - I didn't even know how you can reserve passes in the first place. Doesn't moviepass require you to be at the actual theater? I mean, sounds fine for a rare occasion use. Okay.

The middle one - surge pricing - what the hell is that? Why would moviepass care about prime show times? They're paying the same price either way. It makes sense if a chain's own unlimited pass restricted prime time - they wouldn't want their free members crowding out opening night crowds - but why would moviepass care when people saw a show? They're not getting discounts for off-peak. Is this just a way to charge people more during popular movie times with the flimsiest excuse for it?

Last edited by SenorBeef; 06-23-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

To add, if they don't tell you upfront about the surge pricing, but only tell you when you get to the theater to check in, that would be the first legitimately objectionable restriction. I'd be pretty annoyed. Hopefully you can see it in the app. Apparently you can bypass the whole thing if you pay quarterly/annually, but then you run the risk of moviepass dying before that contract is finished.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

The one movie per day is a limit per calendar day, right? Not 24 hours? So you can see a movie at 9pm one day and then 6pm the next?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:09 PM

Per calendar day, yes.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:19 AM

Surge pricing has started, and unless it’s just how it’s being tested, it’s a complete lie from how it was described. The claim that surge pricing would be added only when movies hit a certain amount sold is bullshit, as all the big new releases and blockbusters were listed as peak pricing from noon-midnight nationwide, clearly it has nothing do with demand.

I’ve been a defender of them for a while and get great use from the service, but this is a shitty bait and switch move.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:47 AM

I think MoviePass may be on their last legs. It was great when it was a niche service for movie buffs for several years. But their decisions over the past 18 months or so have been inexplicable and frequently disastrous. I got my MoviePass card in 2014. It was great while it lasted.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:02 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Well, they're clearly on their last legs. I've seen too many firms - and been a part of a few - that go into 'innovation mode' when things are approaching the end. They keep trying more and different things to try to find something to sustain them.

I don't think it'll work, mind. And I don't think a buyout will occur. What would be the angle for a firm to buy them out? Their business model isn't sustainable and the big chains are getting involved in developing their own similar product. Hell, I haven't picked up MoviePass because the writing's been on the wall for a while. But I might get Regal's as 90% of my movie going - and I see a lot of movies - is at the local Regal about 10 miles away. It locks me into going to Regal but that's not really a big issue. It's not like we're in the olden times where movies would only play at a specific chain. Regal, Cinemark, whatever...the movie I want to see will, with great confidence, be at Regal.

Now, could MoviePass try to make themselves the go-to for smaller chains and independents that can't afford to develop their own app? Possibly so. But I don't know that the market would sustain them as-is.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 AM

Has Regal announced a similar service? I hadn’t heard about that.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Elephant Whisperer

The surge pricing does not really affect us, as we almost always watch movies early in the afternoon. Still annoying to have to pay attention to. But what the hey, we're still taking advantage of the service until MoviePass' last gasp.

Maybe it would help their finances if they did not invest in stinkers like Gotti.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 07-15-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:08 PM

As an annual subscriber I'm immune to surge pricing - at least until my year is up and I resubscribe under new terms.

The good news is that I doubt they'll be around by the time my year is up!

I just nudged over into "made my money back" territory on the pass, so it's all gravy from here on out.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 07-15-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:10 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I dunno, their demise has been predicted for a long time now, but they keep on ticking.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 07-15-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the demise of MoviePass has been predicted for a long time and yet they're like the Energizer Bunny. But, The Hollywood Reporter had an article last week about a filing the company made earlier this month in which it announced its intention to raise $1.2 billion (when the current market cap is only $47 million). The article says, "According to the filing, MoviePass will run a cash deficit of $45 million this month and ran one of $45 million last month, too, while the company has only $45.9 million in cash and money owed to it by merchants." So at the present burn rate, the company will be out of cash by the end of this quarter.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 07-15-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Eh, if they go bust, they go bust. Meanwhile, we'll be taking advantage of membership until such time.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

I'm seeing complaints that if you change devices or have to reset your password, the app locks you out for 30 days.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
I'm seeing complaints that if you change devices or have to reset your password, the app locks you out for 30 days.
Yes! Happened to us. It would not work on the wife's phone, so she tried signing in on mine. A message appeared asking if she was sure she wanted to do that, because she would be locked into that device for the next 30 days. Said okay, otherwise no ticket. So we just used my phone for both, then after 30 days she switched back to her phone. It worked again, but a similar message.

So you're not locked out of MoviePass for 30 days, just locked into whichever device you're trying to use.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 07-15-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Eh, if they go bust, they go bust. Meanwhile, we'll be taking advantage of membership until such time.
Yep. My biggest concern with the yearly subscription was not getting my money's worth. I've crossed that line and now we're into pure profit. They could go bust tomorrow and I wouldn't be too upset. If they stick around through the new year I'll be thrilled.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 AM

I already got back a year’s worth within the first month I started using the service in October! Since then I’ve gotten an additional $1,100+ worth (72 films) of savings! I wish now I signed up for the annual plan, as then the surge pricing wouldn’t affect me, but I’ll just either wait to see big releases or buy tickets in the morning. (The way they are implementing the “surge pricing” is still shitty though.)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 AM

Mrs. Cups and I signed up for A-List the day it came out and we've used it about 6 times each. It's a super easy, no hassle way of seeing movies and it's just as good as advertised.

Funnily enough, they stress that you need your ID when you come in for your ticket, but we've literally never been ID'd once. I think it's because the usher can't tell the difference between an A-list movie on my phone or just a regular ticket I bought on my phone.

Either way, it's been no hassle and we're loving it.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Our neighbor was offered the annual deal, but I guess the wife and I don't rate that, as we've heard nada.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

I got the stub picture thing tonight, which annoys me. I figured high volume users would get it, since they were more likely to have abused the service. I barely see 2 movies a month, the odds of me abusing anything are pretty slim, so it's just an unjustified hassle.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:28 AM

Whelp, this might just be it. Moviepass has filed with the SEC that there has been a service interruption due to lack of funds.

https://www.businessinsider.com/movi...rce=reddit.com

Last night around 5:30pm or so, all cards started being declined nationwide, and today the service is still down (with all showing of Mission Impossible 6 greyed out and unable to be purchased even if the check in worked.) E-ticketing theaters still work, but I would now be surprised if they last til Monday. I just bought an E-ticket for MI:6 tonight, it might well be my last Moviepass film.

My first movie was "American Made" and possibly my last might be MI:6! Tom Cruise seems to have bookended my Moviepass life.