Old 09-06-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Columbo ran around in a beat up old raincoat, drove a beat up old car, had a beat up old dog, and kept referring to his wife, who was never seen, heard, or even given a name. Then, when someone conjured up a "wife" for him as an obviously cruel prank, it turned out to be Katherine Janeway.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Columbo ran around in a beat up old raincoat, drove a beat up old car, had a beat up old dog, and kept referring to his wife, who was never seen, heard, or even given a name. Then, when someone conjured up a "wife" for him as an obviously cruel prank, it turned out to be Katherine Janeway.
Nitpick: Kathryn.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:22 PM

Travis McGee had spells of self-loathing and depression.

This was fortunate, since otherwise he would have been easy to dislike for having a carefree beach lifestyle with an abundant supply of good-looking women.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I saw that show when it aired on PBS and Elyse seemed to be on the autism spectrum or have Asperger syndrome
That was my impression when watching the show. I started out liking it a lot, but then it devolved into the perfect murderer concocting all these elaborate schemes that had to work perfectly for anything at all to go to plan. It just annoyed me by the end.

And New Tricks is revoltingly cheesy. I only liked the "Richard" episodes on Death in Paradise, of course, he was the only gloomy one.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:40 PM

Several candidates to be found in the works of James Ellroy:

Lee Blanchard, one of the protagonists of The Black Dahlia
SPOILER:
whose obsession with the titular murder enigma (along with the horrific death of his little sister many years ago) ruins his whole life and gets him killed.
Not that his partner Dwight Bleichert is a ray of sunshine, mind you.

Dan Upshaw, from The Big Nowhere
SPOILER:
is a brilliant detective for the LASD, and also a tortured closet case and borderline alcoholic who gets played by both sides of the law and ends up cutting his throat.

Ed Exley in LA Confidential, basically loses everything due to breaking his biggest case ever.

Dave Klein and Junior Stemmons, the narrator/protagonist of White Jazz and his partner respectively--the former's
SPOILER:
an incestuous, corrupt, Mob-employed and remorse-stricken cop
and the latter is
SPOILER:
a tortured closet case (that again!) who ends up going crazy and then getting murdered.