Old 08-28-2019, 03:23 PM

Jedward. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedward

Famously fucking awful, but also quite fun and weirdly likeable.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:54 PM

Not famout but should be...

Gloria Balsam for Fluffy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa8r-yQ8Hs8
Old 08-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I guess entertainment meters were calibrated differently in the 1960s.

Either they are awful or so avant garde the rest of us haven't caught up.
The Shaggs also came to mind as one of the obvious answers to the OP, but they certainly do have their following who enjoys them, so far as I can tell, completely unironically. Both Frank Zappa and Kurt Cobain were known to be particularly fond of them. I personally find them interesting and fun.

If you don't know their backstory, it's definitely odd.

Quote:
The conceptual beginning of the Shaggs came from Austin Wiggin's mother who, when her son was young, had predicted during a palmreading that he would marry a strawberry blonde woman, that he would have two daughters after she had died, and that his daughters would form a popular music group. The first two predictions proved accurate, so Austin set about making the third come true as well.[8] Austin withdrew his daughters from school, bought them instruments, and arranged for them to receive music and vocal lessons. The Wiggin sisters themselves never planned to become a music group, but as Dot later said, "[Austin] was something of a disciplinarian. He was stubborn and he could be temperamental. He directed. We obeyed. Or did our best."[9]

So, they were basically forced by their father to play music to fulfill some sort of destiny as predicted by a palmreader's fortune to his mother.

They remained obscure until the early 1970s when Frank Zappa played their stuff on The Dr. Demento show and expressed his admiration for them.

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-28-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Raises hand.

Even watched their variety show.
*I* do ... I hear it on the oldies radio and it makes me drive faster, just like 'Saturday Nights All Right for Fighting' by Elton John.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:27 AM

The Bay City Rollers - 'Saturday Night' I hear frequently.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:47 AM

Remember when what's-her-name...Ann Reinking!...butchered Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" nominated song at the '85 Oscars?
The clips of Phil's reaction in the audience were priceless.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
Remember when what's-her-name...Ann Reinking!...butchered Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" nominated song at the '85 Oscars?
The clips of Phil's reaction in the audience were priceless.
Helluva dancer, that Ann Reinking.

didn't realize that singing wasn't her forte, but I've never heard her sing.

She's been in LOTS of musicals, according to various pages, and she's listed as a singer. So did she have a bad night, or something?
Old 08-29-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
Jedward. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedward

Famously fucking awful, but also quite fun and weirdly likeable.
Honestly, I've always thought that they are very talented performance artists playing some bonkers identical-twin game for their own amusement.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Helluva dancer, that Ann Reinking.

didn't realize that singing wasn't her forte, but I've never heard her sing.

She's been in LOTS of musicals, according to various pages, and she's listed as a singer. So did she have a bad night, or something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWNvlT44nlw

You tell me.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:23 PM

Famous because their music was SO awful...

How about Rick "Never gonna give you up..." Astley? (No link provided because it's a famous trolling technique). His singing is pretty good. I can forgive the silly dancing during the video performance. But the lyrics...

Let me back this up a little, with a funny story. Way back in, was it 1991 or 1992? I was dating a young lady from Japan who thought Rick A. was so dreamy. To my eyes, he was a goofy redhead who took all my worst awkward traits and amplified them 100 times. And, he had constructed this cringy, white-knight song that made me want to go hide every time I heard it. That song sort of became associated with our relationship, like it or not. Months later we broke up, the song was forgotten, amen.

Fast forward 15 or so years, and now the song is an internet meme, a running joke that almost everyone in the modern era understands. Thank you all, I feel vindicated!

Last edited by Limmin; 08-30-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:47 AM

Yoko Ono - not a talented bone in her body and would probably be a hobo if not for riding the John Lennon money train for the past 50 years.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingSnowman View Post
Yoko Ono - not a talented bone in her body and would probably be a hobo if not for riding the John Lennon money train for the past 50 years.
Oddly, Yoko's career is doing very well with the avant-garde, alternative music crowd. My 30 -something daughter and her friends all bought her latest album (ok, music) which came out around last Christmas . They love her!.... We got daughter a vinyl LP of Yoko's, which she promptly framed and put on the wall.....I don't get it myself, if anyone had told me back in the day that I would be over 60 and Yoko age 80 and my daughter's cohorts thought Yoko was a great artiste, I would have thought W.T.F. kind of world is it?? My girl also likes Skrillex and adored Rammstein as a teenager, she's just that way.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:51 PM

Re: Freddie and the Dreamers. Until they were overpassed by The Beatles, a group called The Shadows were the top group in England for a while. And they did the synchronized choreographed steps and moves while playing their guitars. One of the things that drew attention to the Beatles' stage show was they were NOT choreographed like The Shadows.

And back then it was not unusual for a group or artist to promote a song with their own dance. Ever hear of Chubby Checker?
Old 09-01-2019, 11:40 PM

Biz Markie

Biz Markie
Old 09-01-2019, 11:42 PM

Rebecca Black really isn't a bad singer. She was just given a bad song.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:19 AM

Joe Cocker
Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Oddly, Yoko's career is doing very well with the avant-garde, alternative music crowd. My 30 -something daughter and her friends all bought her latest album (ok, music) which came out around last Christmas . They love her!.... We got daughter a vinyl LP of Yoko's, which she promptly framed and put on the wall.....I don't get it myself, if anyone had told me back in the day that I would be over 60 and Yoko age 80 and my daughter's cohorts thought Yoko was a great artiste, I would have thought W.T.F. kind of world is it?? My girl also likes Skrillex and adored Rammstein as a teenager, she's just that way.
Ono has a very active social media presence, which keeps her connected to the yoofs. She's always been popular with the alternative scene - Sonic Youth were big fans.

And not a reply to you, but the idea that Ono had no talent is laughable. She was a well-know artist before she ever met Lennon.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-02-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperlberg View Post
Rebecca Black really isn't a bad singer. She was just given a bad song.
I had to look it up, because I wasn't sure if I was thinking of the right song, but I do remember it. I didn't remember it as being particularly bad and, hearing it now, it just sounds like just another breezy teeny bop type song. I could see my young kids totally being into it. Sounds like something I'd hear on, I dunno, some Nickelodeon or Disney kids program.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperlberg View Post
Biz Markie
"Just a Friend" is a regular part of my workout music rotation. He's not a good singer but he's a decent enough rapper.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingSnowman View Post
I agree.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
but the idea that Ono had no talent is laughable. She was a well-know artist before she ever met Lennon.
Find me one good live performance of hers and I'll eat those words. I still have secondhand embarrassment watching her shriek and wail while Chuck Berry & John Lennon played. Berry knew she didn't belong on stage at any point. People like Lene Lovich and Nina Hagen are also alternative/artsy and different but they actually have range and can carry a tune.

She also wasn't a "well-known" artist by any means before meeting Lennon. She slept her way to the top by first marrying Japanese composer Toshi Ichiyanagi, then turned around and married film producer Anthony Cox then Lennon. I mean the girl spent time in a mental institution, she was going nowhere with her career and lack of talent but her husbands all gave her a platform and money.

Last edited by LaughingSnowman; 09-14-2019 at 11:48 PM.