Old 08-30-2019, 07:01 PM

I used to drive over the same bridge that Bill Murray stopped his cab on in the opening scene in "Stripes." In fact, Louisville, KY (where I live) is a stand-in in spots for New York. In fact, if you look at the opening scene, when he picks up the two guys (and has a parking ticket for parking too close to a fire hydrant), you can actually see the word "Louisville" on the building on the right side of the screen.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
London? Well, the whole city is a 007 crime scene.
Absolutely. The building I work in was used in a couple of scenes in Spectre. Anything beyond that is barely worth a mention.

It's TV, but most of the exterior stuff for the BBC's Fleabag is shot very locally. All within about a 10 minutes walk. I've been an occasional - the standard has varied too much for me to be a regular - customer for two decades at the café used as her guinea pig themed one. There's a lot of locations I recognise. (Still haven't figured out the father's house.)

Them part of the recent adaptation of A Sense of an Ending was filmed just around the corner. Even had to walk through the crew as they set up a shot. The location doesn't fit the novel, but has the appropriateness that Julian Barnes is a local.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
The Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich, London from Thor: The Dark World (where Malekith's ship lands, making a mess of the lawn
Which is used in a massive amount of films, etc. Just off the top of my head, the exterior is part in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, the Place de Bastille in the film version of Les Mis (notably the final number) and the BBC's SS-GB. It's really an utter cliché, particularly since the lamps are so distinctive.

Add to which films using the Painted Hall ...
Old 08-30-2019, 10:31 PM

I was flipping through channels a while back and saw either the end credits or the very end of a movie. I was like, "Hey! That's Hillsboro Pike!" -- the main commercial thoroughfare of a ritzy Nashville neighborhood. I didn't realize it at the time, but the movie was The Thing Called Love, which is about Nashville songwriters and features the Bluebird Cafe, which is on Hillsboro Pike.

The other big reactions I recall having when seeing locations I've been to in real life weren't in movies. One was recognizing the geography of a very futuristic Vancouver in the opening of Mass Effect 3. The other was watching Daenerys and Khal Drogo get married [spoilers!] at Malta's Azure Window in Game of Thrones.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:31 PM
SDSAB

I've been in the University of London's Senate House, used in a bunch o' movies; my favorite was Ian McKellen's Thirties Fascist take on Richard III: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate...opular_culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
...I grew up near Baltimore. Watching Major League II is almost painful. Looking down on the National Aquarium and pretending it's in Cleveland is the only laughable moment in the whole movie.
Tell me about it. And the game scenes from the first movie were filmed at the ballpark in Milwaukee!
Old 08-31-2019, 12:16 AM

I have a few. First was the movie Bachelor Party with Tom Hanks. The theater they run into at the end was my local theater in Simi Valley, CA.

Fair enough to count is the World Trade Center, which had several movies filmed, including the finale of King Kong (1976). I was also at The Sopranos' Bada Bing in New Jersey. I installed a cell site just down the street back in 2003.

It's been mentioned, but when I was in Seattle, I spent a day going to the Twin Peaks sites. I was at the Great Northern falls, had lunch at the RR Diner, dinner at the Road House. I visited the Saw Mill (before it was torn down) and the office doubled as the Sheriff's office. I found the train cars that hosted the murder and even found a pre-cut log in a pile. I went to Ronette's bridge. I also stood at the spot where the Twin Peaks town sign was.

Finally, I was in Pittsburgh last October and spent a day at the Evans City Cemetery where Night of the Living Dead was filmed. I found all the relevant grave stones. The funny thing is that they drive all over the cemetery and walk quite far while the stones they filmed are literally right up front when you first drive into the cemetery. I then went to see Night of the Living Dead at the Monroeville Mall, where Dawn of the Dead was filmed. Scoured the whole mall to find the filming spots. Most of it is gone. The ice rink is now the food court and Pennys moved to the other end of the mall was was replaced by the movie theater.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:19 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Two come to mind immediately. The first is the "ferry dock" in Wargames where Matthew Broderick and his girlfriend are (supposedly) running to catch the ferry to the island where the reclusive scientist lives. As I said in another thread, they must plan on swimming since they're actually running down a boat ramp in Steilacoom, WA — the actual dock is on the far side of the railroad bridge.

And both my daughters went to "Padua High" in Ten Things I Hate about You.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:19 AM

I been to Acoma, NM and visited the chuch where they filmed "My Name Is Nobody". The church is about 400 years old and would have looked the same at the time the movie was set, but really I have no idea why they filmed in Acoma. Henry Fonda is looking for someone and is told the person is in Acoma. "Why" he asks, "is he in Acoma?" Then he's in Acoma and five minutes later he is somewhere else and they never go back. So that's five minutes, but you can stick around and watch the rest of the film. It's a pretty good flick.

There was a fad for filming in Montreal a while back and you used to see the view from the scenic lookout on top of Mont Royal in every movie. Very pretty, not iconic.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Homicide: Life on the Street used the exterior of the old Recreation Pier on Thames street in Fells Point as the headquarters. I used to play there as a child and my sister tended bar across the street from there for 30+ years.
The neighborhood where Adena Watkins was killed in the first episode, and Bayliss mishandled the crime scene for much of the season? I don't know for a fact that that was my mom's neighborhood in the 1920s and 30s, but it sure looks like Ashburton St. to me!
Old 08-31-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzer View Post
Absolutely. The building I work in was used in a couple of scenes in Spectre. Anything beyond that is barely worth a mention.
The road M's car was stuck on when MI-6 headquarters was blown up? I don't know the name of that street, but I know I've been on it. Maybe the Victoria Embankment?
Old 08-31-2019, 02:48 AM
Charter Member

A few scenes in the movie, Romper Stomper, were set in a derelict tram depot/maintenance building in North Fitzroy, Victoria (Australia).

As a kid, my friends and I would hang out in the very same building, exploring the underground tunnels and climbing up precarious ladders to get to god knows where.

Good times.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Which is used in a massive amount of films, etc. Just off the top of my head, the exterior is part in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, the Place de Bastille in the film version of Les Mis (notably the final number) and the BBC's SS-GB. It's really an utter cliché, particularly since the lamps are so distinctive.

Add to which films using the Painted Hall ...
You're not the first person to notice this. It's got to the point of being very annoying!

My examples of other places are too numerous, not because I've been to lots of exotic places but because I'm the sort of person who takes an interest in the details of historic buildings. So I will confine myself to one especially pretentious example. When I first saw L'Année dernière à Marienbad, I was particularly proud with myself in nerdishly spotting that some of the close-ups of Rococo decoration in the opening sequence were from the Amalienburg at Nymphenburg, a building I had visited over twenty years previously. That much of it was filmed at Nymphenburg does become more obvious later on.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

At the beginning of Hairspray, Tracey is going to school, singing "Good Morning Baltimore." When she gets to school, we see that it's a 1960s-ish modern building. That building is a real school--Lord Landsdowne Public School, near College Street and Spadina Avenue, in Toronto. I went by it many times when I lived in Toronto, and recognized it immediately when I saw the movie.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
At the beginning of Hairspray, Tracey is going to school, singing "Good Morning Baltimore." When she gets to school, we see that it's a 1960s-ish modern building. That building is a real school--Lord Landsdowne Public School, near College Street and Spadina Avenue, in Toronto. I went by it many times when I lived in Toronto, and recognized it immediately when I saw the movie.
The episode of Due South set in Chicago's Chinatown opened with a shot of a tram going down Spadina Street. I didn't know this when I first saw the episode, but I sure realize it now that I've lived in Toronto for eight years.

Rewatching the series now I notice all kinds of things in the background, from Canadian flags to the CN Tower.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 PM

I live in New York City so this is hardly fair, but here are just a few:

1. The intersection where Dustin Hoffman says, "I'm walkin' here!" in Midnight Cowboy (58th St. & 6th Ave.)

2. The bank that was robbed in Dog Day Afternoon, which is no longer a bank but condominium apartments

3. The apartment building Barbara Streisand lives in in For Pete's Sake (1974)

4. The "Terminal Bar" from Martin Scorsese's After Hours, which in real life is a bar of a different name

5. The shop where Madonna buys a jacket in Desperately Seeking Susan

6. The deli where Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm in When Harry Met Sally

Also I've stood on the subway grate where Marilyn Monroe stood and had her dress blown upwards, but this was only for the publicity photos, as the shot in the movie Seven Year Itch was recreated on a Hollywood set.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
Two come to mind immediately. The first is the "ferry dock" in Wargames where Matthew Broderick and his girlfriend are (supposedly) running to catch the ferry to the island where the reclusive scientist lives. As I said in another thread, they must plan on swimming since they're actually running down a boat ramp in Steilacoom, WA — the actual dock is on the far side of the railroad bridge.

And both my daughters went to "Padua High" in Ten Things I Hate about You.
That high school is unbelievably beautiful.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:01 PM

"The Lost Boys" was partly filmed around the Santa Cruz Boardwalk while I was going to school at UC Santa Cruz. I remember seeing Alex Winter and Kiefer Sutherland in costume. Didn't know who they were until much later...
Old 08-31-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
The road M's car was stuck on when MI-6 headquarters was blown up? I don't know the name of that street, but I know I've been on it. Maybe the Victoria Embankment?
Nope on all levels.

That scene is from Skyfall, not Spectre, and, from memory, they've been held up on the Vauxhall Bridge when the HQ explodes.

The road you're probably thinking of is Millbank, which runs along the river past Tate Britain, before intersecting with the north end of the bridge. Opposite the real MI6 HQ, which the series had adopted as the fictional one. That area is however used in Spectre as the new HQ for Andrew Scott's bogus organisation, but that's all CGI
Old 09-01-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
<clipped>
Also also also I've been to Main North High School, location of The Breakfast Club. It's a State of Illinois office now.
“That was Maine Township High School North” said the guy who attended in 1971-2.

Top Gun filmed scenes on/from the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) while I was aboard; I made the closing credits, right there where they thanked the officers & crew of the ship.
I haven’t been approached about being in the sequel :-(
Old 09-01-2019, 06:40 AM

In The Princess Bride, the scene where the Princess pushes Westley down a hill into a valley is filmed at Cave Dale in the Peak District.

This is one of my regular dog-walking routes.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:40 AM

I'll just add "The Dark Knight" for anyone who's ever been to Chicago.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
On reflection, for Angelenos a better question might be "Where have you been in Los Angeles that hasn't been on film or television?
You got that right.

I lived a few blocks from where the opening scene in Erin Brockovich was filmed, Magnolia Blvd & Lankershim, North Hollywood.

A diner scene with Walter Mathau, I forget which movie, was filmed at Phil's Diner, an honest-to-god railroad car parked off the tracks near me. Supposedly the characters were taking a break from the hospital -- but there is no hospital nearby. Phil made a pretty good penny renting out the dining car to movie companies, a day at a time.

Hollywood Blvd was used for many movie scenes, including Elephant Parts, a groundbreaking Michael Nesmith video. Ditto the LA River for chase scenes, really only a concrete ditch.

I saw Myra Breckenridge at a theater on Hollywood Blvd when it premiered. The first scene in the movie was a shot of the same theater, outside. And the Chinese, right across the street, is everywhere in movies -- think Blazing Saddles.

I remember driving down the street in sunny 90F weather and seeing a church entrance covered with deep fake snow drifts for a winter scene. The many movie trucks gave it away. Next day the snow had been completely vacuumed up.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:57 AM

I was pretty surprised to recognize Upper Kananaskis Lake and the mountains surrounding it when X-Men was released in ancient times. And in Brokeback Mountain, Brokeback Mountain is played by Moose Mountain. One can see it from here if one knows where to look.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Blues Brothers, Ferris Bueller, and The Untouchables have been mentioned, and yes, most Chicagoans have been to most of those locations. Not mentioned yet: the Thompson Center (aka, State of Illinois Building) where Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines had their climactic scenes in Running Scared. I change trains there frequently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R._Thompson_Center
If we're doing Chicago locations, my pick for a non-obvious one that had me go "Holy shit, that's up the street!" is from the Wayne's World "Bohemian Rhapsody" scene.

Right here where they pass by the statue of the giant native American at the cigar store (which is now an eyeglass place; the statue is still there.) 63rd and Pulaski. As a child, we drove by it almost every week, and as a high school student, every school day.

ETA: Oh, and the Scatchell's beef stand in the next cutaway I know as well! Cermak, just east of Cicero Ave. And Chicago Joes. Don't know which White Castle that might be, though.(ETA2: Apparently, it's a White Castle in Aurora that has since been torn down and rebuilt.) None of these are really near each other.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-01-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:

It's TV, but most of the exterior stuff for the BBC's Fleabag is shot very locally. All within about a 10 minutes walk. I've been an occasional - the standard has varied too much for me to be a regular - customer for two decades at the café used as her guinea pig themed one. There's a lot of locations I recognise. (Still haven't figured out the father's house.)

Them part of the recent adaptation of A Sense of an Ending was filmed just around the corner. Even had to walk through the crew as they set up a shot. The location doesn't fit the novel, but has the appropriateness that Julian Barnes is a local.
Yeah, if you live in London, New York or LA the chances you've been somewhere a major movie or TV was filmed are higher than you not having been there. So you have to get really specific (like you have) for it to be worth mentioning, to be honest.

So for a really local one, the TV Catastrophe used an obscure kids' playpark located under a tower block for some of its scenes, and that's on the road next to me; I pass it all the time. Watching Catastrophe and Luther was a game of spot the place you walked past yesterday. And my own former flat was in a BBC documentary about social housing, while I was living in it. Just the outside, but they featured my windowbox and commented on the garden gnome I had in it. But I can't even remember which documentary it was because that building turns up now and then on various things. (It wasn't "the Secret History of Our Streets," though that did feature a cafe I'd worked in).

My small road, though not my specific house, turns up now and then in Call the Midwife, apparently.

Luther, weirdly, used a Hoover shop where I once bought a hoover.

Most shows and movies supposedly set in Whitechapel (and there are tons of them) don't seem to be filmed there for the most part though.

The town I grew up in is more obscure, but turns up surprisingly often, usually depicted as a grim Northern town despite being just outside the M25 (which is why it's used. And it is grim). Four Weddings and a Funeral filmed the funeral scene on a road my friend lived on (opposite a flat I lived in for a while) and the church for the funeral was my nearest church.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Ditto the LA River for chase scenes, really only a concrete ditch.
The LA River is also featured in Buckaroo Banzai (closing credits), Grease (the drag race), Them! (the ant nest entrance) and so, so many others. Anyplace they race along a big concrete ditch, there you are.

Las Vegas is just like Los Angeles that way. Every intersection in Hangover, every street they drive on Counting Cars, we can spot.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:51 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
The LA River is also featured in Buckaroo Banzai (closing credits), Grease (the drag race), Them! (the ant nest entrance) and so, so many others. Anyplace they race along a big concrete ditch, there you are....
I always think of it for Buckaroo, of course, but also for the big motorcycle-and-semi chase scene early in Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Another movie that comes to mind using the LA river (and sewer system) was Them!.

I've been to Mitchell Caverns in the Mojave a couple of times, used in Oliver Stone's The Doors. According to the tour guide, the production company kind of trashed the place by painting assorted symbols on the cavern walls.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:33 PM

Every Spanish location in Game of Thrones but one I have not been in the bullfighting ring which was used as one of the arenas. The last few seasons were hilarious that way: "hey, I've been there! It's on the coast near Barcelona!" "hey that's Bardenas!" "hey that's..."

People from Southern Spain have this idea that the north is "cold, rainy and green": that used to apply to the Atlantic Shelf, but it certainly doesn't apply to Bardenas or Monegros. Nowadays I can use "ok, the dothrakis? That desert they live in? For the last half of the series you can see it from my mother's windows" to disabuse southerners of this notion that everything northward of Madrid looks like England. Both Bardenas and Monegros have seen their share of being "desertic location" in multiple movies.

When I'm at my mother's and CSI: Miami comes in, she likes asking me who long would it take to go from Place A to Place B. The two locations can be 5h away with good traffic, but man, those cops just teleport.

Both downtown Madrid and downtown Barcelona crop up in quite a few movies. Conversely, pretty much any time you see "the running of the bulls in Pamplona"... it's anywhere but.

Last edited by Nava; 09-01-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:15 PM
SDSAB

I've been to Blenheim Palace, where Winston Churchill was born; it's appeared in a whole bunch of movies, among them Spectre, Rogue Nation, Gulliver's Travels, The Young Victoria, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Avengers (the spy one, not the superhero one), King Ralph, Greystoke and Barry Lyndon.

When I was on my college semester abroad, I visited the English country estate of Stourhead, which later appeared in my favorite Keira Knightley movie, Pride & Prejudice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blenheim_Palace
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stourhead
Old 09-01-2019, 04:34 PM

I was stationed at Woomera, South Australia, when Mad Max Thunderdome was filmed. A bunch of us GIs would drive up to Coober Pedy to watch some of the filming.

Was in Las Vegas at the time Conair was filmed and watched The Sands get destroyed.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:44 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I used to drive over the same bridge that Bill Murray stopped his cab on in the opening scene in "Stripes." In fact, Louisville, KY (where I live) is a stand-in in spots for New York. In fact, if you look at the opening scene, when he picks up the two guys (and has a parking ticket for parking too close to a fire hydrant), you can actually see the word "Louisville" on the building on the right side of the screen.
All of the Basic Training scenes in Stripes were filmed in Fort Knox. I was at many of those locations. The big room where they meet Sgt Hulka was really the first room they put us in when we got off the bus. The obstacle course in the movie was the real Army obstacle course. The WWII style barracks in the movie were still up but I didn’t have to stay in them. God knows how they got the Army to cooperate with the movie.

Goldfinger was also really filmed there. The model of the gold depository that Goldfinger used in the film to explain his plan was in the Patton museum on post.

St Elmo’s Fire was supposed to have a few scenes on the campus of Georgetown. They weren’t allowed to film there. Instead University of Maryland in College Park stood in for it. There was one scene with a chapel behind them that was filmed there and also when Rob Lowe was playing football. That was a frat on frat row.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:40 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Bangkok and Thailand have doubled for Saigon and Vietnam in so many movies including Good Morning, Vietnam, and The Deer Hunter, as well as Phnom Penh and Cambodia in The Killing Fields. Here is a list of 7 Movie Locations in Bangkok, and I have been to all.

As a Peace Corps Volunteer in Mae Hong Son, Thailand in the late 1980s, I was present when the movie people moved in and filmed Air America with Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr. In the film, it's Laos, but I am one of the few Americans who can recognize the Burmese style of the temples and other buildings, the province, Thailand's northwesternmost, being on the Burmese border. A small town, only 5000 population at the time, I knew every location shot. The Hangover, Part II played like a travelogue of my 23 years living in Bangkok. Many more that can't think of either.

Lots of locations in Hawaii too including TV shoots. In fact, Hawaii Five-0 is scheduled to shoot on our condominium grounds for three days later this month.

I recognize so many movie scenes in Japan, Nepal, Singapore, Mexico, Europe. China. Hong Kong. Not to mention New York City and Washington. And Gettysburg. And Philly. And LA. And San Diego. And Vegas. And the Grand Canyon. The list goes on and on.

Really, now that I think of it, the list is virtually endless.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I used to play there as a child and my sister tended bar across the street from there for 30+ years.
Did she work at the Waterfront, by any chance?
Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 PM

A few instances that spring to mind of movies filmed during my time as a resident of California in locations I know intimately:

My Blue Heaven. It was supposed to be set in San Diego, but many of the scenes were filmed in San Luis Obispo County -- including in one of our satellite courtrooms. One of our court reporters was used as an extra in the film to be… a court reporter. Commando was also filmed in San Luis Obispo.

The movie, Arachnophobia was filmed in Cambria.

The movie, Murder by Numbers, was filmed in San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay.

None of these are great films, but it is still fun seeing the familiar locations used.

The Ten Commandments (1923 silent version) by Cecil B. DeMille was partially filmed in the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes, but that was a bit before my time.

Too many to name in Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Malibu and San Francisco.

Last edited by Aspenglow; 09-01-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Every Spanish location in Game of Thrones but one I have not been in the bullfighting ring which was used as one of the arenas. The last few seasons were hilarious that way: "hey, I've been there! It's on the coast near Barcelona!" "hey that's Bardenas!" "hey that's..."

People from Southern Spain have this idea that the north is "cold, rainy and green": that used to apply to the Atlantic Shelf, but it certainly doesn't apply to Bardenas or Monegros. Nowadays I can use "ok, the dothrakis? That desert they live in? For the last half of the series you can see it from my mother's windows" to disabuse southerners of this notion that everything northward of Madrid looks like England. Both Bardenas and Monegros have seen their share of being "desertic location" in multiple movies.

When I'm at my mother's and CSI: Miami comes in, she likes asking me who long would it take to go from Place A to Place B. The two locations can be 5h away with good traffic, but man, those cops just teleport.

Both downtown Madrid and downtown Barcelona crop up in quite a few movies. Conversely, pretty much any time you see "the running of the bulls in Pamplona"... it's anywhere but.

I'm just reading all Carlos Ruiz Zafon's books (after The Shadow of the Wind which I read a few years ago), and I really want to go to Barcelona now. I have all these images in my head.

I also started streaming The Good Place, and they sure did a lot of shooting at the Huntington!
Old 09-01-2019, 09:04 PM

I've been to the Meteor Crater in Arizona, where the ending to Starman was filmed.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:37 PM

Smokin' Aces has Tahoe locals that I've been to. Most notable, the penthouse of Cearers, now Mont Bleu and Cave Rock boat launch (which would have been closed at the time of the movie, but whatever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I saw Billy Jack in the 80s and realized part of it was filmed at Bandelier National Monument, which I had visited in the late 70s.
And Prescott, Arizona, Right? Isn't that where the 'I'm gonna kick you in the face'? fight took place? Been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
Several locations along Route 66 in northern Arizona, used in Easy Rider. The gas station and motel scenes in particular.
I've always wanted to go to that gas station. Sacred Mountain.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:51 PM

When I lived in LA, I made a special trip to see the steps from "The Music Box." (I knocked, Anamorphic, but you didn't answer. This was in 1990, so maybe you didn't live there yet.)

Shortly after returning from a trip to Paris, I went to see Red 2 — Bruce Willis sat at the same table in the same outdoor café around the corner from the Parthenon that I had been in just a few days earlier.

Leaving work in the RCA Building (that's what it was called then) late one night, I was surprised to find Rockefeller Plaza filled with antique cars and people in 1950s-style clothing. They were filming a scene for My Favorite Year.

Also in the 80s, I watched Ragtime several times over the course of a week or so, then nearly fell over myself when I turned a corner and found myself in front of the J.P. Morgan Library, which I'd just sorta assumed had been torn down decades earlier. (I know, they reproduced the entire block on a sound stage and never filmed on E. 36 St. at all. I'm counting it anyway.)

There's a car chase in The Hot Rock that at one point tears past a Long Island shopping mall. The movie theater I watched the movie in was in that mall. It got a big laugh as it flashed by.

The LI town I grew up in, Glen Cove, has appeared in a number of movies, and was mentioned by name in North by Northwest (I've been in the house where James Mason's goon pored a bottle of bourbon down Cary Grant's throat), A New Leaf (I've driven past Walter Matthau's house), and the original Sabrina (I've been to two of the mansions it was shot at, and I lived two blocks from the train station where William Holden picked up Audrey Hepburn).
Old 09-02-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
In the 1988 film Rain Man, while the two are on their way to Las Vegas, they stop by a gas station in Oklahoma to make a phone call at a phone booth. (Link to video clip.)

I visited the gas station in the spring of 2015 and took some photos. Here is a DB folder containing the photos.
The restaurant scene early in the movie where the 246 toothpicks hit the ground was filmed at Pompilios. This is an actual place that I have eaten at several times.It is located in Newport, Kentucky.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
Leaving work in the RCA Building (that's what it was called then) late one night, I was surprised to find Rockefeller Plaza filled with antique cars and people in 1950s-style clothing. They were filming a scene for My Favorite Year..
I turned a corner in Prague one day in 1992, and found myself in a street full of black Mercedes-Benzes and swastika flags flying from the buildings. Time warp!

Like Helsinki substituting for Moscow, a lot of movies set in the Third Reich have been filmed in the Czech Republic because it's much cheaper than doing so in Germany.

(I also recognized a lot of the places I'd been in Prague when I saw the first Mission: Impossible movie.)

Last edited by terentii; 09-02-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I walk by the parking garage used in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I used to enjoy that, but I had a coworker commit suicide by jumping off the top a couple of years ago so it’s a bit creepy now.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:03 PM

The barber shop where Edward Scissorhands works was actually a donut shop here in my town. Isn't there anymore.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:33 PM

There's a straight to DVD film called Off Piste that's about an SAS soldier that accidentally kills a child during a raid on an IRA pub in Belfast and the child's sister's attempt at revenge. The scenes in the pub are not in Belfast, but in my local in Farnborough, Hampshire.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Bangkok and Thailand have doubled for Saigon and Vietnam in so many movies including Good Morning, Vietnam, and The Deer Hunter, as well as Phnom Penh and Cambodia in The Killing Fields. Here is a list of 7 Movie Locations in Bangkok, and I have been to all.

As a Peace Corps Volunteer in Mae Hong Son, Thailand in the late 1980s, I was present when the movie people moved in and filmed Air America with Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr. In the film, it's Laos, but I am one of the few Americans who can recognize the Burmese style of the temples and other buildings, the province, Thailand's northwesternmost, being on the Burmese border. A small town, only 5000 population at the time, I knew every location shot. The Hangover, Part II played like a travelogue of my 23 years living in Bangkok. Many more that can't think of either.

Lots of locations in Hawaii too including TV shoots. In fact, Hawaii Five-0 is scheduled to shoot on our condominium grounds for three days later this month.

I recognize so many movie scenes in Japan, Nepal, Singapore, Mexico, Europe. China. Hong Kong. Not to mention New York City and Washington. And Gettysburg. And Philly. And LA. And San Diego. And Vegas. And the Grand Canyon. The list goes on and on.

Really, now that I think of it, the list is virtually endless.
And if TV is included, in addition to Five-0 there is Lost. Even for the non-island scenes. For example, downtown Honolulu scattered with white Styrofoam became Berlin in wintertime. Downtown also played Los Angeles in a chase scene.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Alexander Payne is a local here. His Mom still gets her hair done in the salon where my daughter works. All of the locations of About Schmidt are easily recognizable places. I have eaten at Johnny's Steak house many times. I have inspected and tested the fire alarm at the building where Schmidt's office was located. The house where Kathy Bates lived was a block and a half from where I was living at the time. I drive past the house used for Schmidt's house three or four times a week.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Nope on all levels.

That scene is from Skyfall, not Spectre, and, from memory, they've been held up on the Vauxhall Bridge when the HQ explodes.
You were referring to SPECTRE; I was referring to Bond films in general (and to Skyfall without naming it). I'm sure you're right about the other stuff, though.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I'm just reading all Carlos Ruiz Zafon's books (after The Shadow of the Wind which I read a few years ago), and I really want to go to Barcelona now. I have all these images in my head.
That's something that can also be super-interesting or super-blah. Shortly before moving to Philadelphia I pushed myself through about 80% of a pretty bad detective novel simply because it took place in Philly; one of the book's defects was that it was written as if any reader would know the place perfectly and understand the social and geographic implications of any location or address. Seeing those locations later was interesting, though.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:11 AM

I've been to MANY places that have been in movies, but very few that I hadn't already seen in a movie before I went there. I grew up in Seattle area, so, the Space Needle? That's all I can think of.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I've been to MANY places that have been in movies, but very few that I hadn't already seen in a movie before I went there. I grew up in Seattle area, so, the Space Needle? That's all I can think of.
SINGLES had some good locations. What hill was Sheila Kelly trying to pedal up? I think Sleepless In Seattle had Tom Hanks paddle his kayak from Ballard to Northlake in record time.