Old 09-12-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
Terrorism, however, did not define the 00s.
How did it not? Terrorism (the fear of it, the fight against it, etc.) was a Big Deal in the 2000s.

All of those "I Love the 2000s" type shows had as their main focus 9/11, Bush, Iraq, Al Qaeda, etc.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
How did it not? Terrorism (the fear of it, the fight against it, etc.) was a Big Deal in the 2000s.

All of those "I Love the 2000s" type shows had as their main focus 9/11, Bush, Iraq, Al Qaeda, etc.
Agreed. It was one of the defining moments, like it or not (and I understand now wanting to give the terrorists the credit) of the 2000s. I mean, one of the names for Gen Z is the Homeland Generation -- it was that defining a moment. We went from having no existential threat after the end of the Cold War in the 90s, to having the War on Terrorism replace the Cold War in the 00s. The 90s were a time where we felt (or at least I and all my peers did) that the world was back on track, nothing but sunshine and roses ahead, and then 9/11 hit (along with all the other events in my post.) Now it's back to War on Terror, Russia being an enemy, China being an existential threat, North Korea playing games, etc. These sorts of worries were largely absent from the 90s.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-12-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 AM

Itís hard to reduce a whole decade to a few points. Of course, 9/11 was an unprecedented event with a lot of influence on politics, government policy, law and foreign policy. It was one of the defining events of the decade.

But what were the terrorists trying to accomplish? To sow disorder, to turn Americans against their Moslem neighbours, to attract imitators and overturn the world order in the name of misguided dogma. The lesson is that these things didnít happen. That they were remarkably few other terrorist events in America and none in my country of Canada. That thousands of professionals did their jobs to maintain the peace. That terrorism proved ineffective, despite constant anxiety and fearmongering from the media and politicians.

Sowing disorder had to wait a few years for a new president.