Old 09-11-2019, 08:26 PM

Ricky Gervais: Nope

Nothing funny at all. Terrible.
Sorry.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I find Gervais is funniest when he's laughing at one of Karl Pilkington's outlandish stories, myself. The rest of the time, he mostly annoys me.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 PM

I thought "Extras" was pretty funny, but Stephen Merchant was 10 times funnier than Ricky Gervais in that show.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 PM

Agreed. Not fun or funny.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I thought "Extras" was pretty funny, but Stephen Merchant was 10 times funnier than Ricky Gervais in that show.
"Extras" was brilliant by all involved. Gervais isn't for everyone, but I usually find him pretty funny.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:22 PM

The only time I laughed at Ricky Gervais was when he was with Jon Stewart and they were talking about screwing raccoons.

And I was mostly laughing at Jon Stewart.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:30 PM

I liked Gervais in the original version of The Office.

Mostly because, unlike Steve Carrell in the American version, he was so unlikeable that it was fun seeing him get humiliated when things went to shit.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 PM

I think he's an incredibly funny, smart, fun guy to hang out with. But yeah, his stand up/acting is meh at best.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:55 PM

I like his comedy. Y'know, when I opened this thread I was afraid it be about how he's "problematic" or offensive and has to stop doing his sets and apologize. The sort of thing most places on the internet seem to say about people they don't like. It's nice to find civilized dislike.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I find Gervais is funniest when he's laughing at one of Karl Pilkington's outlandish stories, myself. The rest of the time, he mostly annoys me.
Those radio shows were the best. The Office was good. Extras was good. That show about the retirement home was terrible. His standup has gotten quite awful.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:31 AM

I think he is excellent. There are those that don't understand the difference between the act and actor or think that he is his stage show persona which I find very strange. Whenever you hear him interviewed as himself it is clear he is a decent and throughly ethical and moral human being and his comedy absolutely refelcts that. His work also offends people and that is fine, it is supposed to but it may not be for you. If it bothers you there is plenty of inoffensive comedy out there that may be more to you taste. Comedy is a very personal thing. I watched an episode of Friends and an episode of Seinfield once and never cracked a smile, horses for courses, the most recently feted comedy "Fleabag" was borderline unwatchable for me.

For me the UK Office is a work of genius, pretty much perfect. Extras is not far behind. His standup is up there with the very best. He recent work "Afterlife" was excellent as well. He makes me laugh loudly and regularly.

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 09-12-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:54 AM

Oh, he may be decent and ethical, but whatever stand-up routine I just watched proved to me he's not funny.

Yes. Humour is very personal.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:31 AM

All it proved is that you don’t find him funny. That is completely different to proof that he is not funny.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Oh, he may be decent and ethical, but whatever stand-up routine I just watched proved to me he's not funny..
You mean he doesn't make you laugh, clearly he is funny as evidenced by the laughter.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:09 AM

I understand.

George Carlin makes me laugh.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 AM

I find his voice extremely annoying and grating after about 5 minutes.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

I think he's a comic genius. He's playing at a higher level than just about any comedian working today.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I understand.

George Carlin makes me laugh.
Being dead is funny to you? Real nice.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:52 AM

He created and wrote the original UK version of the Office, not just acted in it, and pioneered a genre, and although it's not my style of humour, it had some great moments and I can appreciate its quality. In David Brent he created a long-lasting character that people still reference and parody and he acted him remarkably well.

The US version of the Office was apparently very good, but that only existed because of him too.

I don't like a lot of the other stuff he's done, but that's enough, surely?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Being dead is funny to you? Real nice.

I like Ricky Gervais. I enjoyed The Office, and also Afterlife.

Regallag_The_Axe is right. It's lovely that this is about the work and not the actor.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:45 AM

I like him but I agree he's not very funny. But, there are things I've seen him in that I have humorous memories of, but I'm sure I didn't laugh out loud at the moment. Like when he was on Louie as Louie's doctor and he always tells him he has Aids or something. When I think about that it seems like it was pretty funny. But, I don't think I laughed at the time.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regallag_The_Axe View Post
I like his comedy. Y'know, when I opened this thread I was afraid it be about how he's "problematic" or offensive and has to stop doing his sets and apologize. The sort of thing most places on the internet seem to say about people they don't like. It's nice to find civilized dislike.
When I opened this thread I thought it was about a new series he was in called "Nope" and I was intrigued.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:10 AM

I love him in The Office, Extras, Derek, Afterlife, An Idiot Abroad - he was even funny in that game show with the little kids. But I don't like his standup.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:15 AM

I did like him in the Office, but I really like him in Derek. I was just going to say I might be the only board member that knows about this, but thought I better search before making the claim. Nope, I'm not the only one:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ighlight=derek

Old 09-12-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
The only time I laughed at Ricky Gervais was when he was with Jon Stewart and they were talking about screwing raccoons.

And I was mostly laughing at Jon Stewart.
This. I can still picture Gervais going up and down with his arms.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM

He’s a comic genius, in my eyes.

I was brought up on a council estate just as I was, dirt poor.
I see him as a great social commentator. Watch Derek, actually sit and watch it.
It’s beautiful. As is the way he speaks of his upbringing. He’s not ashamed of it.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM

I can't stand The Office, which just made me wince, and I steered clear of the later sitcoms also. But I saw him doing standup a couple of months ago and he was hilarious.

Strange.

j
Old 09-12-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
I can't stand The Office, which just made me wince, and I steered clear of the later sitcoms also. But I saw him doing standup a couple of months ago and he was hilarious.

Strange.

j
The British version of the office is hilarious imo.

His stand up is amazing as are his podcasts.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:13 PM

I know nothing of Ricky Gervais, but is the Will Kempe character in the Shakespeare players in the BBC show Upstart Crow really like him? I think that character (played by Spencer Jones, about whom otherwise I also know nothing) is funny.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM

He's funny once in a while and not funny quite often and just awful, bad, horrible a surprising amount of time.

Extras was a classic example of bad humor. He used what I call the "man in the green hat joke" a ton of times. The idea is this: The Idiot says something like: "You know what I hate, men who wear green hats." etc. Of course just then a man with a green hat walks by, is offended, The Idiot cringes, etc.

A trite, stale, predictable joke category and it's Gervais' stock-in-trade on Extras.

He also overdoes the "embarrassment" humor like too many British people. Oh, I just said/did something embarrassing, time to cringe and wince, and now I'll be embarrassed about being embarrassed so I can drag this dumb thing out even longer. Stephen Merchant also relies on this stale trope.

One would think after Spike Milligan and Monty Python British comedy would have steered towards fresh, original humor. But even Cleese went retrograde with Fawlty Towers.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:02 PM

I enjoyed his stand up. The TV shows, not to much.

-God
Old 09-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
One would think after Spike Milligan and Monty Python British comedy would have steered towards fresh, original humor. But even Cleese went retrograde with Fawlty Towers.
Sometimes, I don't don't even know what to say to such Grandpa-like rantings. Monty Python did inspire lots of new lines of comedy but you're asking "why didn't all other types of comedy die?" Because people think it's funny, that's why not.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:48 PM

I wish to keep the lines clear between the person and the work as well.

I've never seen any of his Britcoms like Office, so I can't say anything about those. I saw some promos for Afterlife and that looked OK, but I never did find that series here in the US. I didn't look that hard.

Didn't he host the Oscars once? Or one of those award shows. I watched that for a while, found him very funny part of the time, but more often cringeworthy. Maybe because he grins at his own jokes too much (if you're going to skewer someone, I prefer deadpan). Maybe because he was going after cows that are sacred to me, I don't remember details, just that I stopped watching well before halfway.

I've seen him on Graham Norton a few times, and have never liked what I saw there. If that is the real him vs. being his "work" then I don't think much of him as a person, he seems very full of himself. If that is his "work" then again, mostly not funny. Compare that to Stephen Merchant. Perhaps I prefer self-deprecating to vicious.

I don't think I have ever seen him when he wasn't "on" so I can't say if he is really kind and warm and sweet or whatever other qualities he is alleged to have.

In conclusion, I guess my jury is still out on his work, if something crossed in front of me I might watch it to find out more, but I'm not going out of my way to find it.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:46 PM

The first time I saw his Noah's Ark bit, I laughed so hard I could hardly breathe.
I'm usually pretty well in sync with his sense of humor, but I can understand that he may not appeal to everybody. Which is fine. A comedian nobody dislikes is probably not a very good comedian.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:27 AM

New waver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxV5b60mI_k
Old 09-14-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Sometimes, I don't don't even know what to say to such Grandpa-like rantings. Monty Python did inspire lots of new lines of comedy but you're asking "why didn't all other types of comedy die?" Because people think it's funny, that's why not.
So preferring newer stuff to older stuff makes one a grandpa?

Right.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I've seen him on Graham Norton a few times, and have never liked what I saw there. If that is the real him vs. being his "work" then I don't think much of him as a person, he seems very full of himself. If that is his "work" then again, mostly not funny. Compare that to Stephen Merchant. Perhaps I prefer self-deprecating to vicious.
That seems strange to me, being "full of himself" seems absolutely to be an act.

The central theme of "Extras" was a ordinary guy who gets a big break, starts to act like the big man and alienates his friends before coming to his senses. I don't think you write something like that without at least a degree of self-awareness. Heck, in the series he got David Bowie to seranade him with a song that mocks him and his lust for fame. To be honest, all the celebrity appearances in Extras hinge upon them playing exaggerated and piss-taking versions of themselves, playing up their idiocy and often their self-importance. That seems to be be clearly what Gervais does to himself as well.

I confess it surprises me when others don't see that.