Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 PM

A little twinge in the feels: on being reminded that Terry Pratchett is gone.

A couple of weeks ago, I checked out an audiobook of The Shepherd's Crown, Terry Pratchett's last book before his death in 2015. Fourteen or so CDs, and at the end of each CD, a pleasant female voice said "The disk is finished." A poignant little message, especially at the end of the last disk, when I was unavoidably reminded that the Disk is, indeed, finished.

I'm not usually affected by celebrity deaths, even if I admire or enjoy the celebrity's work; so I was surprised when hearing of Sir Terry's not-unexpected death in 2015 threw me into a funk for several days. Wisdom is where you find it, and since discovering Pterry's work in 1996 - via Good Omens, and a Neil-Gaiman-fangirl friend - my own view of the world, humanity, and the way it all works was in large part shaped by Pratchett's compassionate but clear-eyed humanism. I'd heard, too, that he was religious about reading fan mail, and I'd always meant to write to thank him for all the pleasure his work brought me; an ambition now beyond realizing.

Nothing big or important about all this, and indeed this might be more appropriate for MPSIMS, but it was a small reminder that Terry is no longer with us, and the world is a lesser place thereby.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 09-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
and at the end of each CD, a pleasant female voice said "The disk is finished." A poignant little message, especially at the end of the last disk, when I was unavoidably reminded that the Disk is, indeed, finished.
Aw.

Does it help to think that Discworld still goes on—it's just that we won't be hearing any more of what goes on there?
Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

I'm sad I never got to tell him I use his "Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Unfairness" in my high school Economics classes. I treasure the words I got to swap with him over the years. Way too few and way too insubstantial, as it turns out.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:01 AM

Always glad I got to tell him in person how I wooed my wife, in part, by reading Good Omens out loud while stuck in the desert on a Uni field trip, and the 3-minute conversation about Geology that followed (him being a big Geology nut, us having met in Geology class). He was as warm and funny in person as his writing suggested.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:06 AM

Sir Terry's death woke me to the reality that I really need to go out there and try to meet as many of my heroes as I can, or at least reach out to them and show them my appreciation.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:11 AM

Singed my beatmaker.