Old 09-16-2019, 01:24 AM

Today's Google doodle - B. B. King tribute

I'm putting this in Cafe Society since today's Google doodle pays tribute to B. B. King on what would have been his 94th birthday. It's a nice little animation set to The Thrill is Gone. Here's the link to it on YouTube, so people should still be able to see it after today.

https://youtu.be/XtgUhrGLrI4
Old 09-16-2019, 02:37 AM

Thanks. I have wonderful memories of the night I saw him in concert. Walked up to the door and splurged on the expensive tickets - just under $30! My friend and I followed the usher down, and down, and down, and my grin was getting bigger and bigger. We ended up 2nd row orchestra pit, just right of center.

Remember when people could afford a concert ticket without selling their car?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:46 AM

I saw B.B. twice and both shows were awesome. He was a great performer and great showman.

And yes, I fondly remember when concerts were reasonable and I went to a lot of them.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:15 AM

I saw B.B. several times over the course of his career. The last time I saw him he stayed seated his entire set. That was the night I spotted a friend in the front row, a woman who brought her (deranged) father to see B.B.

I was down front talking to her before the show even started (her dad had on black sunglasses and wouldn't even acknowledge me) when her dad lit up a joint. I told her that the entire seating area was "NO SMOKING" but when she told her dad this he ignored her. An usher came over and very politely asked him to not smoke in the seating area. He said, "fuck you". The usher got his usher-supervisor and returned. They politely asked again and again he said, "fuck you".

Long story short, next a cop was brought over who asked him to put out the joint and they'd forget he ever had it, but again "fuck you", so he was arrested. They took him away in hancuffs and she went with them to arrange bail. I inherited their seats plus I had some weed on me that I smoked in the designated smoking area.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I saw B.B. several times over the course of his career. The last time I saw him . . .
Fun story.

I saw him in 1969. He opened up for some outfit called "The Rolling Stones" or something. (Actually Terry Reid was the opener, B.B. came on second, then the Stones. Yes, you got a lot for your $7.50 in those days.)
Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Of the three Kings of blues, he was the only one I was able to see play. Wish I could have seen Albert live.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Of the three Kings of blues, he was the only one I was able to see play. Wish I could have seen Albert live.
That's four kings. Don't forget Earl.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:52 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I saw him live only once, I think. It was a free concert at the Naumburg Bandshell in Central Park in New York, probably in the early 1970s. It was a great show, and I was quite close to the stage.

Last edited by Colibri; 09-16-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 PM

Saw him once. Late eighties? 1990? Somewhere around there. In New York City, it might have been at the Beacon.

It was a big blues show. Fabulous Thunderbirds, John Lee Hooker, BB King. King was (of course) the headliner and went on last. There was one more act, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

Great show.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:30 PM

My only concert experience with B.B. King (~2011) was not a good one. Buddy Guy opened for him and was fantastic, however.