Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #23101  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:43 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Well, Hannity didn't notice either, so its as much his fault as Trump's!
To be fair, at the time of the Hannity interview Trump was still on record as having said what he said. That was before his national security advisers got together this morning and decided that he didn't say what he said. This is why Trump has the best people, believe me, the BEST.
  #23102  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:55 PM
CurtC CurtC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
He meant steamed hams!
It's an Albany expression.
  #23103  
Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 PM
BeepKillBeep BeepKillBeep is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
It's an Albany expression.
He may be a terrible president, but he steams a good ham.
  #23104  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:13 PM
APB APB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Speaking of alternate history, did he also say that Queen Elizabeth reviewed her Honor Guard for the first time in 70 years? (Despite the fact that she's only been queen for 65.) Any idea what he was babbling about?
That may actually be sort-of true. In the past the Queen and Prince Philip together have welcomed visiting heads of state but the Queen has usually left it to him to do the bit where they walk alongside their guest during the inspection of the guards. As Philip recently stopped making public appearances (Harry's wedding being a rare exception), it was a bit unusual for her to be doing this instead. But that also means that it wasn't some sort of special honour for Trump. Rather it was clearly that Philip had taken the view that the event wasn't that important. And who can blame him? That said, I would be very surprised if the Queen had never ever done it herself before.

It is perhaps a pity that Philip wasn't doing it, as one presumes he would have been rather less tactful in dealing with Trump's apparent cluelessness.

Not that it is especially reassuring that this may be the closest to something vaguely accurate that Trump has said over the past few days.
  #23105  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I didn't stick around for the end of Trump's gibberish. Were there any shouted questions? I hope somebody asked: "If you merely misspoke, saying "would" instead of "wouldn't"....why would you accept Putin's "incredible offer" to help with the investigation?"
That is the part of the press conference that was the most frightening and it isn’t getting enough attention. When Trump mentioned the “incredible offer” , Putin was quick to interject that it wasn’t one-sided and that he wanted to get his hands on Bill Browder in return.

I read Browder’s book before Trump even decided to run for President. I highly recommend it, especially for anyone that might lean towards being a Russian apologist. Or anyone that thinks there is anything legitimate about Vladimir Putin.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3UZ3GGSOW86MM

Because Browder successfully campaigned to get the Magnitsky Act passed. Putin made up a false narrative that painted Browder as the guilty party. And he’s been trying to get his hands on Browder ever since. Luckily, the law enforcement agencies of the civilized world all know this is bullshit and they pretty much universally ignore the Interpol arrest warrants that Russia keeps issuing, although every now and then he gets detained for a short while.

But it was sounding to me like Trump might have agreed to hand Browder to the Russians in the private meeting. At the very least, it was the quid pro quo to the “incredible offer”. He’s going to hand an innocent American over to the Russian police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
To be fair, at the time of the Hannity interview Trump was still on record as having said what he said. That was before his national security advisers got together this morning and decided that he didn't say what he said. This is why Trump has the best people, believe me, the BEST.
I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at the meeting today where they had to make Trump agree to publicity admit he was wrong. About ONE word. That’s all they got.

And, did you catch Trump’s response at the press conference when they were talking about possible Kompromat? Putin was coy and smirking and didn’t deny ha ing it, of course — but Trump said [if they had it]” it would’ve been out a long time ago”. Funny think to say about a videotape that doesn’t exist,

As as aside, I saw a guy in the park the other day dressed as the Pee Tape. Seriously, a big full body video tape costume. Same park where I saw a Mike Pence look-alike in a suit jacket, tie and tiny tiny shorts. Sometimes I love living in New York.

And you KNOW this is going to go Charlottesville in a few days, because Trump’s going to stew and stew about having to make that statement and he’s going to blow. And he’ll say something really bad. Or Russia will start releasing details of stuff Trump allegedly agreed to in the private meeting. And it will be outrageous, like handing over Browder. Or both.
  #23106  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:34 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 13,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
...As as aside, I saw a guy in the park the other day dressed as the Pee Tape. Seriously, a big full body video tape costume. Same park where I saw a Mike Pence look-alike in a suit jacket, tie and tiny tiny shorts. Sometimes I love living in New York.
....
Dang. You make me jealous.
  #23107  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:35 PM
Shoeless's Avatar
Shoeless Shoeless is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
“I accept that it was Russia...and also maybe some others.” He just can’t fucking stop his mouth. And of course he has to blame Obama. And his “explanation” doesn’t cover why he followed his statement with his comment about Putin’s strong denial.
CNN has been showing photos of the script he was reading from. One line is crossed out, about bringing the people involved to justice. And in big fat sharpie at the top of the page he wrote "There was no collusion!"

Which is hilarious... he's been spouting that line for so long, you would think he'd have to write it down.

Last edited by Shoeless; 07-17-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Sorry, I meant to say "wouldn't"!
  #23108  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:39 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 59,049
Maybe it was a note to his handlers, passing back the draft they had written for him. Which is to say, he's not reminding himself, but them.
  #23109  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
you would think he'd have to write it down.
I see what you did there
  #23110  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 23,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
CNN has been showing photos of the script he was reading from. One line is crossed out, about bringing the people involved to justice. And in big fat sharpie at the top of the page he wrote "There was no collusion!"

Which is hilarious... he's been spouting that line for so long, you would think he'd have to write it down.
This is incorrect; please stop spreading false stories about our President!



As you can see from this photo, what Trump wrote was clearly "There was no colusion".



Accuracy counts, folks; don't inadvertently help Trump look better by getting the details wrong.


Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-17-2018 at 06:50 PM.
  #23111  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder Happy Lendervedder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,288
John Kelly gave Congressional Republicans the green light to tear into Trump after the Putin Presser yesterday.

Man, how bad do you have to suck if your own chief-of-staff is lobbying politicians against you?
  #23112  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:04 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,260
I was just out briefly and happened to catch the radio evening news. The CBC interviewed a few Trump supporters after the extraordinary developments of the last couple of days. The question of the moment is, have Trump supporters changed their views? Perhaps you can guess the answer!

One of them was pretty typical of the bunch. Speaking in that southern drawl that one associates with country music and the kind of total political cluelessness that elects Republicans to Congress, he declared that Trump was a man of great integrity, and that it was better to be friendly with Russia than to show up at a summit hurling insults, and that it seemed to this eminent scholar that y'all leftists just want waahr.

Well, no actually, we don't want waahr, and that's kind of the point. Strongman dictators like Putin look for weakness in other leaders and exploit them. When Khrushchev perceived weakness in Kennedy after the 1961 Vienna summit, the consequences were dire. Khrushchev was under pressure to deal with his festering "Berlin problem", and as soon as he had assessed Kennedy as weak and unlikely to retaliate, the infamous Berlin wall went up almost immediately. Not long after, Soviet nuclear missiles starting flowing into Cuba.

Trump has been sidling up like a hapless puppy to Putin and Kim Jong Un, both of whom he greatly admires, while insulting just about every one of America's traditional allies and trading partners. Just recently he insulted the French president, the German chancellor, and the prime minister of Canada at the G7, then flew to the NATO meeting where he insulted just about everyone and especially the German chancellor a second time, then to the UK where he insulted the prime minister and the mayor of London. Then off to Helsinki where he kissed Putin's ass so passionately it's a wonder anyone was able to pull them apart -- after which the Russians declared the summit "magnificent" and "better than super" while both sides of Congress and media in the whole of the western world condemned it in a sort of shocked disbelief.
  #23113  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:05 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,966
John Kelly has enabled Trump.

He can go to hell.
  #23114  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:13 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I was just out briefly and happened to catch the radio evening news. The CBC interviewed a few Trump supporters after the extraordinary developments of the last couple of days. The question of the moment is, have Trump supporters changed their views? Perhaps you can guess the answer!

One of them was pretty typical of the bunch. Speaking in that southern drawl that one associates with country music and the kind of total political cluelessness that elects Republicans to Congress, he declared that Trump was a man of great integrity, and that it was better to be friendly with Russia than to show up at a summit hurling insults, and that it seemed to this eminent scholar that y'all leftists just want waahr.

Well, no actually, we don't want waahr, and that's kind of the point. Strongman dictators like Putin look for weakness in other leaders and exploit them. When Khrushchev perceived weakness in Kennedy after the 1961 Vienna summit, the consequences were dire. Khrushchev was under pressure to deal with his festering "Berlin problem", and as soon as he had assessed Kennedy as weak and unlikely to retaliate, the infamous Berlin wall went up almost immediately. Not long after, Soviet nuclear missiles starting flowing into Cuba.

Trump has been sidling up like a hapless puppy to Putin and Kim Jong Un, both of whom he greatly admires, while insulting just about every one of America's traditional allies and trading partners. Just recently he insulted the French president, the German chancellor, and the prime minister of Canada at the G7, then flew to the NATO meeting where he insulted just about everyone and especially the German chancellor a second time, then to the UK where he insulted the prime minister and the mayor of London. Then off to Helsinki where he kissed Putin's ass so passionately it's a wonder anyone was able to pull them apart -- after which the Russians declared the summit "magnificent" and "better than super" while both sides of Congress and media in the whole of the western world condemned it in a sort of shocked disbelief.
Here's something to chew on:

http://theweek.com/speedreads/664505...nion-army-rule

Quote:
In 2014, 1 in 6 Americans said "army rule would be a 'good' or 'very good' thing," The New York Times reported Tuesday. That marks a significant increase from 1995, when just 1 in 16 reported having a favorable opinion of the autocratic style of government.
I've been ridiculed and called a chicken little. But the reality is, I am a realist, and I don't just attend book clubs and wine-and-cheese parties with other social elites. I know my fellow Americans better than most. And I know that the election of 2016 was not an aberration, or an 'oops' moment that can be easily corrected in the next election when people have an awakening and realize that they shit their own bed. it was an election of a nation of imbeciles who don't really understand how democracy works, who are angry at the blatant unfairness of our economic system, who wanted to protest somehow, and, most significantly, are willing to experiment with a different system altogether.

More than 200 years ago, the Founding Fathers started our little experiment called democracy. Well 200 years after that moment, the descendants of our Revolutionary Dead are conducting their own little political experiment, an experiment with authoritarianism.
  #23115  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 20,416
Can I just say I doubt it's a pee tape? I mean, I get that's what the Steele report says, but if there's a tape of any sort it's going to be worse than something you can find on Pornhub.

Given trends in the Republican party... Roy Moore, Jim Jordan, Dennis Hastert, even Donald Trump... the tape likely involves young, underaged girls.

Again, IMHO. But I doubt a tape exists but if it does, I seriously doubt it's something as passe as watersports being done by 20-something hookers.
  #23116  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 23,561
I just posted this in another thread but I think it's relevant here and I don't wanna type that much again:

I can't wait for people to give up on the incredibly juvenile and salacious "pee tape" references and focus on the fact that Trump is compromised, not how. Because the fact that he's compromised means he no longer fears the tape, if one exists; he fears getting himself and everyone he knows murdered by Putin.

Do you think the Novichok poisonings in the UK, right before Trump visited, were an accident or a random act?

That was a message: Putin can get to Trump and to Trump's family; Trump knows it and knows he can't stop Putin. The only thing he could do that might save his neck would be to admit what was going on and fall back on our government's resources but he can't and won't do that because of both fear and his ego. And because he thinks that there's a scenario that ends with him winning it all and coming out on top (here's the secret tho: there isn't!).

Attempts to remove him will not be successful because Putin also has dirt on way too many Republicans, thanks to the emails he hacked back in 2016 (and ongoing, no doubt) and because many in the GOP likely also see a scenario where they come out on top after things shake out (here's another secret: they won't!). Do you forget that a bunch of Republicans were in Russian for the 4th of July holiday just a couple of weeks ago? What do you think the purpose of that trip was, once you strip away the innocent-sounding language from the description? "A thaw in relations"; "strive for a better relationship"?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-17-2018 at 08:02 PM.
  #23117  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 23,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
John Kelly gave Congressional Republicans the green light to tear into Trump after the Putin Presser yesterday.

Man, how bad do you have to suck if your own chief-of-staff is lobbying politicians against you?
How spineless, how craven do you have to be to need permission, nay direction, before speaking out against this kind of thing?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-17-2018 at 08:02 PM.
  #23118  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,966
I doubt Trump cares if he's caught in a pee tape; he would probably proudly own that moment.

What he cares about is his money -- well, it's not really his money...and that's the problem. He's indebted to Russian kleptocrats, and they are indebted to the king of kleptocrats. The entire story of Putin is a guy who was a master military spy, a master bureaucrat and gaining power in administration, and then using that power to rob people blind and kill anyone who dared to confront him.

While we were hyperventilating over Trump getting ass-fucked on live television by a foreign adversary, here's what nobody was talking about, but would have had this happened on any other day but yesterday:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...ference-2018-7

Quote:
On Monday, Putin suggested allowing US officials to interview Russians suspected of interfering with the 2016 election in exchange for interviewing people close to Browder.
Browder is, in some ways, a linchpin -- well, actually, the guy who can pull Putin's linchpin (secret money). But what's disturbing is how now our president's interest and Putin's are essentially aligned: secret money, corruption, breaking the rule of law, wiping out opponents. Given time, the longer we have to live under Republican misrule, the more our government will resemble the governments of Turkey or Russia. Secretaries hired to run ABC agency for no other reason than to break the institution and use the levers of power to thieve taxpayers blind. Scott Pruitt, Tom Price...just the beginning, folks. Just the beginning.
  #23119  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 13,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I just posted this in another thread but I think it's relevant here and I don't wanna type that much again:

I can't wait for people to give up on the incredibly juvenile and salacious "pee tape" references and focus on the fact that Trump is compromised, not how. Because the fact that he's compromised means he no longer fears the tape, if one exists; he fears getting himself and everyone he knows murdered by Putin.

Do you think the Novichok poisonings in the UK, right before Trump visited, were an accident or a random act?

That was a message: Putin can get to Trump and to Trump's family; Trump knows it and knows he can't stop Putin. The only thing he could do that might save his neck would be to admit what was going on and fall back on our government's resources but he can't and won't do that because of both fear and his ego. And because he thinks that there's a scenario that ends with him winning it all and coming out on top (here's the secret tho: there isn't!).

Attempts to remove him will not be successful because Putin also has dirt on way too many Republicans, thanks to the emails he hacked back in 2016 (and ongoing, no doubt) and because many in the GOP likely also see a scenario where they come out on top after things shake out (here's another secret: they won't!). Do you forget that a bunch of Republicans were in Russian for the 4th of July holiday just a couple of weeks ago? What do you think the purpose of that trip was, once you strip away the innocent-sounding language from the description? "A thaw in relations"; "strive for a better relationship"?
This makes sense.
  #23120  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:10 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I can't wait for people to give up on the incredibly juvenile and salacious "pee tape" references and focus on the fact that Trump is compromised, not how. Because the fact that he's compromised means he no longer fears the tape, if one exists; he fears getting himself and everyone he knows murdered by Putin.
I don't think he fears being murdered by Putin; he fears being bankrupted by him and having documents turned over to federal prosecutors that would incriminate him and put him and his children in jail for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
What do you think the purpose of that trip was, once you strip away the innocent-sounding language from the description? "A thaw in relations"; "strive for a better relationship"?
The purpose of the trip was to serve their oligarchal masters in America, who have been wanting to have a better relationship with oligarchs in Russia. Russia doesn't control the US without its consent; they have waded into American politics because the billionaire class sees Putin as a tool in helping them destroy democracy, which is what many people in our own country have wanted for years. The disease, the rot...it started from within.
  #23121  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Fiveyearlurker Fiveyearlurker is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,935
Not even the deplorables are buying this would/wouldn't thing, right? Right?
  #23122  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 23,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Not even the deplorables are buying this would/wouldn't thing, right? Right?
I think you're underestimating their ability to rationalize and overestimating the importance they place on facts, friend.
  #23123  
Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 44,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post

Speaking of alternate history, did he also say that Queen Elizabeth reviewed her Honor Guard for the first time in 70 years? (Despite the fact that she's only been queen for 65.) Any idea what he was babbling about?
Perhaps this was his interpretation of the elegant comment she made about horses asses?
  #23124  
Old 07-17-2018, 10:02 PM
China Guy China Guy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I just posted this in another thread but I think it's relevant here and I don't wanna type that much again:

I can't wait for people to give up on the incredibly juvenile and salacious "pee tape" references and focus on the fact that Trump is compromised, not how. Because the fact that he's compromised means he no longer fears the tape, if one exists; he fears getting himself and everyone he knows murdered by Putin.

Do you think the Novichok poisonings in the UK, right before Trump visited, were an accident or a random act?

That was a message: Putin can get to Trump and to Trump's family; Trump knows it and knows he can't stop Putin. The only thing he could do that might save his neck would be to admit what was going on and fall back on our government's resources but he can't and won't do that because of both fear and his ego. And because he thinks that there's a scenario that ends with him winning it all and coming out on top (here's the secret tho: there isn't!).

Attempts to remove him will not be successful because Putin also has dirt on way too many Republicans, thanks to the emails he hacked back in 2016 (and ongoing, no doubt) and because many in the GOP likely also see a scenario where they come out on top after things shake out (here's another secret: they won't!). Do you forget that a bunch of Republicans were in Russian for the 4th of July holiday just a couple of weeks ago? What do you think the purpose of that trip was, once you strip away the innocent-sounding language from the description? "A thaw in relations"; "strive for a better relationship"?
I seriously doubt that Trump fears Russia is gonna whack him or his family. What he fears is the big unveiling that he's been laundering probably billions of dollars in rubles for his puppet masters, and that he and his family are going to jail in the US of A.

Even if you believe Russia would do an overt act of war in America on the family of the President Trump, even I would say there has to be some sort of retaliation and retribution. Regardless of what I think, do you think a narcissist like Trump really cares if Jared or a niece gets poisoned?
  #23125  
Old 07-18-2018, 12:20 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,260
Good article by the New Yorker's editor in chief about the aftermath of the summit:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily...f-donald-trump

I had not been aware of the bit mentioned in passing at the beginning -- that Trump considers insufficiently enthusiastic applause for him to be "treasonous". I believe Kim Jong Un feels the same way (about himself, that is).
  #23126  
Old 07-18-2018, 12:21 AM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 14,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by gytalf2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
A suspended sentence. But death? No, I am a cruel and vindictive person. Take his money, all of it, down to the last dime. Give him a third-story walkup studio apartment with a hotplate, buy his dinner at the Dollar Store. Free medical care, want him to live a long, long time.
Oh yeah, I like this plan a lot.
In Barstow. Supervised by Najib.
  #23127  
Old 07-18-2018, 12:27 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 23,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Good article by the New Yorker's editor in chief about the aftermath of the summit:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily...f-donald-trump

I had not been aware of the bit mentioned in passing at the beginning -- that Trump considers insufficiently enthusiastic applause for him to be "treasonous". I believe Kim Jong Un feels the same way (about himself, that is).
I remember the Blue Ash rally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Remnick
Now we will see who, particularly in the Republican Party, will stand up not to applaud the Great Leader but to find the capacity to say what is obvious and what is true.
In the Republican Party? None of them.

ETA: One had the balls to shout "you lie" at President Obama during the SotU; none of them have even that much courage to call Trump out for what he is.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-18-2018 at 12:29 AM.
  #23128  
Old 07-18-2018, 12:33 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 23,561
By the way, is it just me, or is it curious that the AP story headline is Trump backs off siding with Russia over US intelligence when it should be "Trump Continues to Insist 'Other People'; Not Russians"?

Why is the spin in Trump's favor ffs?
  #23129  
Old 07-18-2018, 02:04 AM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! Guest-starring: Id! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Yeah... this doesn't seem like a good idea right now. Or ever.
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. Treasury Department decision to safeguard the identities of so-called “dark money” donors to politically active nonprofit groups spawned warnings on Tuesday that the policy could inadvertently aid foreign actors, including Russia.

The Trump administration’s Treasury said on Monday it will no longer require certain tax-exempt groups to disclose the identities of their donors to the Internal Revenue Service.

The move was hailed by Republican lawmakers as a win for free speech. The conservative political group FreedomWorks urged Congress to enact legislation that would codify the policy change to prevent its reversal by a future administration.

Democrats criticized the change as a setback for election transparency at a time of high tension over Russia’s meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

The part I bolded quite gets my goat. Never heard of FreedomWorks before. Sounds Orwellian enough. That the repuke-icans can foist this off as a, huh?...win for free speech? is just plain lobotomized tooletry.

Also from the article:

Quote:
The Treasury’s policy change was unveiled just hours after federal investigators announced conspiracy charges against a Russian woman with ties to the National Rifle Association, a nonprofit group whose donors would be protected by the change.

“(The) Treasury Department made it easier for anonymous foreign donors to funnel dark money into non-profits the same day a Russian national linked to the NRA was arrested for attempting to influence our elections,” Senator Ron Wyden, top Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, said in a statement.

NRA officials were not immediately available to comment.

Ah, the serendipity of shit. Funny how...stuff...just seems to, I dunno, work out like that, sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
By the way, is it just me, or is it curious that the AP story headline is Trump backs off siding with Russia over US intelligence when it should be "Trump Continues to Insist 'Other People'; Not Russians"?

Why is the spin in Trump's favor ffs?

Sure, AP should've gone with the latter. Sometimes the odd PBS Newshour i-view, especially with someone gross like Marc Short (bon voyage!) or Matt Schlapp, has had a softball-y question or two, and I'd get all "Judy!**...really?"

We can thank U.S. District Court Judge Trevor McFadden for being one of the earlier enablers of what I'll hereby officially dub The Handmaiden Voyage, as he ruled that federal funding can be reprioritised for faith-based groups over organisations like Planned Parenthood. .

Quote:
The reproductive health care nonprofit filed a lawsuit along with the the National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association in May attempting to block the guidelines from taking effect.

Under Mr Trump, HHS will begin reassessing which family-planning groups receive millions in grants, favouring faith-based organisations and groups conducting abstinence counselling over birth control and abortion providers.


**Or, if I'm blazing stoned enough, more of a Carey Grantian "Ju-dy, Ju-dy, Ju-dy!".
  #23130  
Old 07-18-2018, 02:36 AM
Smapti Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 15,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I can't wait for people to give up on the incredibly juvenile and salacious "pee tape" references and focus on the fact that Trump is compromised, not how.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I doubt Trump cares if he's caught in a pee tape; he would probably proudly own that moment.
I think you're both underestimating the fragility of Loser Donald's ego and his particular fear of the pee tape.

Firstly, Donald almost certainly believes the tape exists. You'll recall he specifically instructed Comey to investigate whether it was real or not. That's not the act of someone who has never paid a hooker for a golden shower party.

Secondly, Donald is severely threatened by any implication that any aspect of him isn't great or terrific or the best (witness his 30-year tantrum over the size of his hands). The existence of a tape would be proof that someone had to be paid to do sex stuff to him, which would mean he's not the ladies' man he makes himself out to be. If he's in any state of undress, it'll also show how obese and unattractive he is. It could show even worse - maybe that he has a small penis, maybe that he can't get it up, maybe he gets peed on himself, maybe he gets grossed out and throws up (and illness is just another sign of weakness to him.)

Russia wouldn't have to try to kill him or expose his finances to destroy him. All they'd have to do is reveal that tape to the world and it'd be incontrovertible proof of his loser-ness that no amount of screaming "FAKE NEWS!" would be able to deny.

Last edited by Smapti; 07-18-2018 at 02:36 AM.
  #23131  
Old 07-18-2018, 02:42 AM
The Tooth The Tooth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,248
"Still better than Crooked Hillary. Now, let's get on with getting rid o' them evil Muslims and the Mexicans who keep raping our white women." is how his supporters will respond. I doubt the rest of the world would be more disgusted than they already are. His sexual peccadilloes don't concern me nearly as much as pretty much everything else that statistical anomaly of a president has done.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #23132  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 AM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
John Kelly gave Congressional Republicans the green light to tear into Trump after the Putin Presser yesterday.

Man, how bad do you have to suck if your own chief-of-staff is lobbying politicians against you?
That's not the main thing. The main thing is that this is an exception; they are all normally muzzled.
  #23133  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 AM
Steve MB Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 12,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzled View Post
Trump is so thin skinned, and this criticism so strong, that he should be in full on Twitter tantrum mode now. Has there been a single tweet yet lashing out at the deep state for undermining him? If not, it sounds like his people have hidden his phone. They may realize how dangerous his place is and that it will take a concerted effort to fix. They can’t keep his phone forever, sooner or later Trump will derail their plans.
Maybe somebody installed some kind of Twitter-nanny software in his phone.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #23134  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 AM
Steve MB Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 12,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
One of them was pretty typical of the bunch. Speaking in that southern drawl that one associates with country music and the kind of total political cluelessness that elects Republicans to Congress, he declared that Trump was a man of great integrity, and that it was better to be friendly with Russia than to show up at a summit hurling insults, and that it seemed to this eminent scholar that y'all leftists just want waahr.

Well, no actually, we don't want waahr, and that's kind of the point. Strongman dictators like Putin look for weakness in other leaders and exploit them. When Khrushchev perceived weakness in Kennedy after the 1961 Vienna summit, the consequences were dire. Khrushchev was under pressure to deal with his festering "Berlin problem", and as soon as he had assessed Kennedy as weak and unlikely to retaliate, the infamous Berlin wall went up almost immediately. Not long after, Soviet nuclear missiles starting flowing into Cuba.
The historical anecdote reminds me of past Presidential responses to such crises. Who can forget FDR's stirring statement "Emperor Hirohito was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today" or JFK's firm "I accept our intelligence community's conclusion that Russia placed missiles in Cuba -- could be other people also" or GWB's definitive "I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be al-Qaeda".
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #23135  
Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 42,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by APB View Post
That may actually be sort-of true. In the past the Queen and Prince Philip together have welcomed visiting heads of state but the Queen has usually left it to him to do the bit where they walk alongside their guest during the inspection of the guards. As Philip recently stopped making public appearances (Harry's wedding being a rare exception), it was a bit unusual for her to be doing this instead. But that also means that it wasn't some sort of special honour for Trump. Rather it was clearly that Philip had taken the view that the event wasn't that important. And who can blame him? That said, I would be very surprised if the Queen had never ever done it herself before.

It is perhaps a pity that Philip wasn't doing it, as one presumes he would have been rather less tactful in dealing with Trump's apparent cluelessness.

Not that it is especially reassuring that this may be the closest to something vaguely accurate that Trump has said over the past few days.
Not very accurate at all -- she reviewed the troops herself as recently as 2011 when Obama came to visit

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-c...-queen-for-65/
__________________
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
  #23136  
Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 AM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 39,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
The existence of a tape would be proof that someone had to be paid to do sex stuff to him, which would mean he's not the ladies' man he makes himself out to be.
The importance of this cannot be overstated. Trump has spent over three decades working his image as a ladies' man, and it's VERY important to a lot of his base. Search Twitter, or message boards that love him, and the idea that Trump must be successful because beautiful women love him is a surprisingly common thing. They'll post pictures of Trump with a bunch of models and say "look, he's awesome." The fact the models are paid to be there is something they then deny; nope, those are women who just love him, you see. I'm not kidding.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #23137  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 AM
APB APB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Not very accurate at all -- she reviewed the troops herself as recently as 2011 when Obama came to visit

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-c...-queen-for-65/
No. When Obama walked along the line of guards formally inspecting them, it was Philip who accompanied him. The Queen and Mrs Obama merely watched them do so.
  #23138  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 23,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Russia wouldn't have to try to kill him or expose his finances to destroy him.
Dude, Putin doesn't humiliate his enemies. Putin doesn't have enemies. Putin has tools. And when those tools are no longer useful, or if, like a broken hammer, they become a possible source of harm, he discards them. Have you not been paying attention to the trail of corpses that he's left behind over the past 20 years or so? That wasn't done out of hate or spite; it was pure self-interest.

Donald Trump doesn't fear being "destroyed"; his ego doesn't allow him to believe he can be "destroyed". But it can be made very, VERY clear to even that kind of man that he can watch his family die, knowing that he is responsible and, most importantly to that kind of man, that he will be last.

The kompromat sets things up. Trump's ego allows him to believe he can make lemons out of lemonade, so he goes along. Now he's in deep, but he can't back out because it'll cost everything: the Trump family lineage would be lucky to continue.

That's how I see it.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-18-2018 at 09:44 AM.
  #23139  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The importance of this cannot be overstated. Trump has spent over three decades working his image as a ladies' man, and it's VERY important to a lot of his base. Search Twitter, or message boards that love him, and the idea that Trump must be successful because beautiful women love him is a surprisingly common thing. They'll post pictures of Trump with a bunch of models and say "look, he's awesome." The fact the models are paid to be there is something they then deny; nope, those are women who just love him, you see. I'm not kidding.
Okay, but even a ladies man knows that if he wants a golden shower with multiple women in the same room peeing on him or each other, or on the furniture marking their territory, then he's probably gonna have to pay for it. He could just as easily convince himself that he's one of the few people in the world who can afford and organize such an event. It's like something out of one of Nero's infamous orgies. And maybe by 'paying' for it, that was just one of the expenses involved in the party. It's not like some single or divorced 50-something staying at a Holiday Inn and having to pay 10-20% of his weekly take-home pay to get an 'escort'.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this really keeps Donald up at night, which is not to say that he would want it leaked. After all, what is seen cannot be unseen. But this is the guy who was caught on tape bragging about sexual assault, and his republican allies in congress have consistently and increasingly shown a remarkable ability to suspend reality and make excuses for essentially anything the man does. He brags about grabbing women in the pussy. He uses foul language. He makes references to Mike Brzesinski and Megyn Kelly having blood coming out of their whatever. His legions of rednecks simply don't care. They're fighting a culture war, and he is their Beowulf. He could claim the tape is doctored, or that he was drugged - his people would still probably forgive him for it.

The only thing Trump has to do - and this is critical - is to keep winning, to keep his voters in farm country, coal country, and white suburbia believing that there's hope for a return to America, the idyllic place that it used to be in their minds. Trump's Waterloo will, in my estimation, be confronting the consequences of his gross incompetence. There will come a point at which people will realize how destructive he has been, because they will be living with the pain. They might not immediately blame Trump for causing their misery, but they will absolutely blame him if he can't fix it - and trust me, he can't.
  #23140  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:45 AM
DesertDog DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 4,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
God, wouldn't that be a pickle. Putin openly kills the Trump family, leaving the US to decide if we want to go to war because he killed Donald Fuckin' Trump.
It's like that old joke of mixed feelings watching your mother-in-law drive your new Caddy over a cliff.
  #23141  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:54 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 13,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Dude, Putin doesn't humiliate his enemies. Putin doesn't have enemies. Putin has tools. And when those tools are no longer useful, or if, like a broken hammer, they become a possible source of harm, he discards them. Have you not been paying attention to the trail of corpses that he's left behind over the past 20 years or so? That wasn't done out of hate or spite; it was pure self-interest.
Donald Trump doesn't fear being "destroyed"; his ego doesn't allow him to believe he can be "destroyed". But it can be made very, VERY clear to even that kind of man that he can watch his family die, knowing that he is responsible and, most importantly to that kind of man, that he will be last.
I gotta agree.

Especially that thump does not believe he can be destroyed. Nor does he believe he can ever be poor. Death, however-- not his own, of course-- he gets that. He has lost loved ones, weaklings like his brother, whom he finally bested.

With Putin, thump is like a goldfish in a tank thinking he can win a fight with a piranha

Novichok.
  #23142  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,776
I think a “pee tape” exists and I think we will surface at some point. And I think it’s going to be low quality and I don’t think it’s goung to be possible to positively identify the man in the tape. Putin’s idea of fun.

Even if it doesn’t exist, the story was not made up out of whole cloth. We know Trump was in that hotel, and we know Russia offered ( through Keith Schiller ) to send 5 hookers to Trumps room and Schiller said no.

I didn’t believe this part of the dossier for a long time. For all his many many many flaws, I don’t think Trump has a hedonistic bone in his body. He gets off on power and conquest, he only pursues sex with beautiful women because it’s an ego trip. I never saw him as being in to hookers.

So, if Russia planned to make the video, I guess they just scowled and said “Curses, foiled again” when Schiller said no, then they packed up and went home. Or maybe they sent girls to the room anyway. And if they did, I think Trump would’ve accepted. Not out of horniness, but because he didn’t want to seen as rejecting Putins gift.

But it doesn’t matter whether or not it’s true, it’s the narrative that’s out there that matters.

And with all that said, I think there’s been too much focus on the pee tape because the outrageousness of the allegation discredits the entire dossier. And I believe that the primary allegation is true, that Russia groomed Trump for a long time and flattered him into running for President. And that Trump is such a narcissistic idiot that it worked and he didn’t realize he had been played. Because Trump never considers that people that kiss his ass might have ulterior motives.

And that is why Putin owns Trump, because I’m sure that if Russia wants evidence of collusion to surface, it will. It doesn’t matter if it’s true or not.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 07-18-2018 at 09:58 AM.
  #23143  
Old 07-18-2018, 10:14 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 42,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by APB View Post
Okay, so I might be wrong about Philip being there, but clearly the Queen reviewed the Troops recently, despite what Trump said.
__________________
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
  #23144  
Old 07-18-2018, 10:17 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I gotta agree.

Especially that thump does not believe he can be destroyed. Nor does he believe he can ever be poor. Death, however-- not his own, of course-- he gets that. He has lost loved ones, weaklings like his brother, whom he finally bested.

With Putin, thump is like a goldfish in a tank thinking he can win a fight with a piranha

Novichok.
But couldn't Putin do this to anyone else? Couldn't have Putin done this to Obama and his family? Couldn't have Putin do this to any number of world leaders? Putin's an abominable human being, but he's not insane. He's not going to whack heads of state, particularly those who have the ability to whack back. Going after a former Russian spy is different - he views them as members of a gang who left the gang. He kills them to send a message to anyone else who wants to leave the gang, or other Russian dissidents who want to come back to Russia and cause trouble. Notice how former spies are fair game anywhere; journalists and dissidents tend to be left alone unless they come back into the Russian sphere of influence. For some, the message that Putin sends is "Stay here, don't even think of leaving." For others, the message is equally clear, "Don't even think of coming back here."

What Trump fears is living life as an ordinary, bankrupt loser. He fears being ordinary, because he has his entire life lived with this facade of being a fake billionaire. Being ordinary would be a horrible enough fate for him to suffer through, and Trump is smart enough to know that he's a fraud, a fake billionaire. He sometimes forgets that he's a fake billionaire, but Putin can remind him of that right quick. He knows Putin can deal him a mortal blow of a different kind: life as a bankrupt loser. Oh, and he also has evidence of his financial and other crimes, which would probably put him and his family in one of any number of state or federal correctional facilities across the United States -- probably for life. What Trump fears is his ignominious exit from the public stage, into the life of an imprisoned stooge.
  #23145  
Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 39,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
But couldn't Putin do this to anyone else? Couldn't have Putin done this to Obama and his family? Couldn't have Putin do this to any number of world leaders? Putin's an abominable human being, but he's not insane. He's not going to whack heads of state, particularly those who have the ability to whack back. Going after a former Russian spy is different - he views them as members of a gang who left the gang.
It is different for you, for me and for Putin, who at the very least would use less-blatant methods if he did do anything directly against Trump and/or the Trumpettes (it's not as if the specific nerve agent was chosen because it was the only option available; more-discreet methods do exist). But Trump has as much ability to think of other people, or of consequences, as the average 5 months old.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 07-18-2018 at 10:27 AM.
  #23146  
Old 07-18-2018, 10:32 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
The historical anecdote reminds me of past Presidential responses to such crises. Who can forget FDR's stirring statement "Emperor Hirohito was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today" or JFK's firm "I accept our intelligence community's conclusion that Russia placed missiles in Cuba -- could be other people also" or GWB's definitive "I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be al-Qaeda".
Those are all excellent points about some great moments in history, but that last one needs clarification, as GWB initially said "would", not "wouldn't" -- historians frequently get confused on this point.

Most of us still remember the day. It was September 14, 2001, and George W. Bush was at Ground Zero. He climbed on top of some of the still-smoldering rubble of the twin towers, picked up a bullhorn, put his arm around a firefighter, and said those famous words we all remember that became one of the defining moments of his presidency: "I have Osama bin Laden; he just said it's not al-Qaeda. I will say this: I don't see any reason why it would be. Bin Laden was extremely strong and powerful in his denial."

This caused a bit of a kerfuffle, understandably, so his handlers convinced him to do some damage control a couple of days later. Sitting stiffly and reading from a prepared script, looking like he was being forced to make a hostage tape, Bush stated, "Heh, heh, what I meant to say there, is I meant to say 'I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be al-Qaeda'. Sort of a double negative, you see?" With that out of the way, he quickly added, "or it could have been many other people". Then, picking up the script again, and reading from a hastily scrawled note to himself that appeared to have been written in crayon, he further added, "But there was no collusion. No collusion."

It was one of history's inspiring moments.
  #23147  
Old 07-18-2018, 10:33 AM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 47,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
I think a “pee tape” exists and I think we will surface at some point. And I think it’s going to be low quality and I don’t think it’s goung to be possible to positively identify the man in the tape. Putin’s idea of fun.

Even if it doesn’t exist, the story was not made up out of whole cloth. We know Trump was in that hotel, and we know Russia offered ( through Keith Schiller ) to send 5 hookers to Trumps room and Schiller said no.
The tape may not exist, but the fact that Trump is worried that it does means the incident did occur.

It's not important, though. It's only talked about because it's fun to think of him being personally humiliated for all the world to see, in a way he can't hannity his way out of.

Quote:
And I believe that the primary allegation is true, that Russia groomed Trump for a long time and flattered him into running for President.
Could be, or could be that it came out of the bribery negotiations with Putin for his hotel projects there.

Quote:
And that is why Putin owns Trump, because I’m sure that if Russia wants evidence of collusion to surface, it will. It doesn’t matter if it’s true or not.
Putin doesn't even need something to blackmail him with, just knowing how much he loves autocracy and flattery.
  #23148  
Old 07-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Biffster's Avatar
Biffster Biffster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3,262
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...28355f2a98.jpg
  #23149  
Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 59,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
What Trump fears is living life as an ordinary, bankrupt loser.
Trump is an extraordinary loser!
  #23150  
Old 07-18-2018, 11:05 AM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 39,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think this really keeps Donald up at night, which is not to say that he would want it leaked...
Bwaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha

Quote:
The only thing Trump has to do - and this is critical - is to keep winning, to keep his voters in farm country, coal country, and white suburbia believing that there's hope for a return to America, the idyllic place that it used to be in their minds. Trump's Waterloo will, in my estimation, be confronting the consequences of his gross incompetence.
In all likelihood the tipping point would be a massive recession sparked by his dumb trade war, but whatever happens, I hope it happens before martial law is declared.

Something I've noticed on Twitter is Russian bots and their Trumpists followers will, in the middle of a thread about Russia's attacks on democracy, write:

"America isn't a democracy, it's a Republic."

This is an old saw, and of course it's stupid; America is both a democracy and a republic. But the Russians are pushing it big time on social media. You know why? To get the Trumpists to think it's okay if the USA isn't a democracy.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017