Old 02-18-2020, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
Even when pointing out directions, inanimate objects and such?
For some, yes. It's the index finger itself that's considered rude (consider how it would look to us if someone used their middle finger exclusively to point ), Hence thumb pointing or whole-hand pointing.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I recall some debate about the origin of that. A fundamentalist christian once told me it was evil because it represented the cross of jesus with the arms broken off and fallen down, about which I was somewhat skeptical. Someone else told me that it was semaphore: a vertical line for the letter D ("disarmament") and the two lower lines for the letter N ("now"), which seemed more likely. Or maybe it is just the footprint of the dove of peace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
… The only Pole joke I remember …
There is no need to remember most Pole jokes, because they become reincarnated periodically with a different subject type. If you know any blonde jokes, there is a good chance that many of them were once Pole jokes, and probably previously were aimed at different butts before that, rinse/repeat. (Of course, that one about the polish remover is a little too specific for reuse.)
Old 02-18-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
OK, those would totally confuse me, since I've never been to Poland. [...]
Found a picture. The triangle is indeed male, the circle is female.
I just read searching for that that in Lithuania they use two triangles, one upside down, the other not. Makes me wonder what they were thinking of.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Found a picture. The triangle is indeed male, the circle is female.
I just read searching for that that in Lithuania they use two triangles, one upside down, the other not. Makes me wonder what they were thinking of.
A triangle has a right side up and an upside down?
Old 02-18-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
A triangle has a right side up and an upside down?
Yes indeed. An equilateral triangle in this example, to be precise. The one rests on its side (you can choose which one you like best). The other rests precariously in an unstable balance on one of its corners (you can choose again which one you like best).
Old 02-18-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes indeed. An equilateral triangle in this example, to be precise. The one rests on its side (you can choose which one you like best). The other rests precariously in an unstable balance on one of its corners (you can choose again which one you like best).
If it's being rested on, is it a side or a bottom?

An image of a triangle on a sign experiences unstable balance?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:34 PM

The discussion is about triangles: θ1 + θ2 + θ3 = 180° – so please fail to be, um, obtuse.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
The discussion is about triangles: θ1 + θ2 + θ3 = 180° – so please fail to be, um, obtuse.
In this particular case it is θ1 = θ2 = θ3 = 60°, which is just neither acute nor obstuse. Just as I was saying. Ot trying to.
But I think I will let it rest at that before being accused of hijacking
This is about Universal Symbols™, so I offer a smiley and wave goodbye for tonight.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
In this particular case it is θ1 = θ2 = θ3 = 60°, which is just neither acute nor obstuse.
60° is indeed acute. Equilateral triangles are acute triangles.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:57 AM

This unstable equilibrium stuff brings to mind the taijitu and bagua, but I left that out because while I think many educated people recognize yin and yang, I'm not sure they are quite universal.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:19 AM

I'm thinking musical notes are pretty universally recognized at this point. ♬
Old 02-19-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
I'm thinking musical notes are pretty universally recognized at this point. ♬
That's a good one. Though even they aren't truly universal - in Germany they use similar symbols but for different meanings, which is annoying if you've just started learning an instrument in England and then move to Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I recall some debate about the origin of that. A fundamentalist christian once told me it was evil because it represented the cross of jesus with the arms broken off and fallen down, about which I was somewhat skeptical. Someone else told me that it was semaphore: a vertical line for the letter D ("disarmament") and the two lower lines for the letter N ("now"), which seemed more likely. Or maybe it is just the footprint of the dove of peace?
It was designed specifically for the organisation CND, so I don't see how there can be any debate about why it's designed like it is. The actual designer says:

Quote:
Gerald Holtom, a conscientious objector who had worked on a farm in Norfolk during the Second World War, explained that the symbol incorporated the semaphore letters N(uclear) and D(isarmament).

He later wrote to Hugh Brock, editor of Peace News, explaining the genesis of his idea in greater, more personal depth:
‘I was in despair. Deep despair. I drew myself: the representative of an individual in despair, with hands palm outstretched outwards and downwards in the manner of Goya’s peasant before the firing squad. I formalised the drawing into a line and put a circle round it.’
He goes on to say that he considered using a Christian cross but decided against it.

It wasn't copyrighted due to the principle that everyone should be in favour of peace, but, still it had one original designer who has explicitly explained what the design is.