Old 03-21-2018, 02:06 AM

New names for things

I have been off-planet for a while. On returning I found the following hacks had taken place.

When did an APB become a BOLO? (police work)
When did bolts become fasteners? (car work)
When did disgusting become ewww?

curious
Old 03-21-2018, 02:56 AM

Bolts became fasteners on the day when not all of them were (literal) bolts.

The other words, I'm with you.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:00 AM

My workplace, a 911 centre, was using BOLO from before I started there 12 years ago. Oddly when making a note in a report that we aired a BOLO on the radio we invariably note "APB aired". Go figure.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:26 AM

Bolts have been fasteners for a long time. 'Fastener' is a category term that includes bolts, machine screws, wood screws, rivets, pins, clips, nails and probably a lot of other things too. The change that happened is the usage of the category term for items within the category.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
I have been off-planet for a while. On returning I found the following hacks had taken place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-points_bulletin

Don't know when the change happened, but BOLO ("Be On the Look Out") is somewhat more descriptive than APB

Quote:
When did disgusting become ewww?
That's reserved for people who eschew adjectives in favor of interjections.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 AM

BOLO seems easier to say than ABP, imho...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Ewww is fairly new, starting about 1985 according to ngrams. Ewwww is even newer.

BOLO is not replacing APB. APB is gaining on it.

Fastener has increased slightly, but bolt is still by far the more common word.

Caveat: Ngrams doesn't pick up spoken uses, message boards, social media, or lots of other casual usages so those may bias what you hear in daily life.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 PM

I think "spoken" vs. "typed in a formal document" vs. "typed in quick communication" are often much more different from each other than we realize.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:

In my mind, BOLO became more popular with the TV show NCIS. The acronym LEO also became more common, IMO.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
In my mind, BOLO became more popular with the TV show NCIS. The acronym LEO also became more common, IMO.
Yes, obviously popular in films and TV, but this must be mirroring actual police usage, no? When did the police do this switch over? might be my real question.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
When did bolts become fasteners? (car work)
Bolts have always been fasteners, the same way oaks have always been trees. I read a lot of automotive repair info, and I haven't seen the change you mention.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
BOLO ("Be On the Look Out") is somewhat more descriptive than APB
Oh, my word. Had no idea it was an acronym. I think - if I thought about it at all - I probably thought it was "Bullo", short for bulletin, short for All-Points Bulletin: cop slang, basically.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:36 AM

"Ew!" I first heard on Big Bang Theory, when Ramona Nowitzki was introduced to Howard Wolowitz.

Howard: Howard Wolowitz, Department of Engineering, co-designer of the International Space Station's Liquid Waste Disposal System.
Ramona: Ew.

Howard: You know, the Pishkin--Wolowitz liquid waste disposal system is turning a few heads as well.
Ramona: Again, ew.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:16 PM

While we'e at it, when did vd* (venereal disease) become std (sexually transmitted disease)? I mean, it's not actually new - I first heard it about 30 years ago when I was at a free clinic getting birth control and I unknowingly sat with the STD sufferers. I had no idea until one of the women in the waiting room told me - but it seems like the term changed overnight and everyone heard about it but me Maybe a better question would be why it changed.

* Dopers of a certain age may remember the old films from Sex Ed. where a guy learns he has gonorrhea and has to call all his partners, whereby we see all these girls pick up the phone, listen for a moment, and scream "You have WHAT???!!!!"
Old 03-26-2018, 02:28 PM

It's most commonly STI, for "sexually transmitted infection" these days. Because "venereal" isn't all that intuitive a word so "sexually transmitted" most accurately describes how you get it. And "disease" has connotations of severity that aren't always appropriate. STI is the most accurate usage and therefore preferable.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Somewhere along the way, computer programmers stopped "writing programs" and started "creating applications".

Negro ---> Colored Person ---> Afro-American --->Black ---> African-American
When I was in college, "colored" was forbidden, unless you were specifically referring to the NAACP. Today, I see "person of color" seems to be acceptable in some contexts.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Somewhere along the way, computer programmers stopped "writing programs" and started "creating applications".
This is, simply, wrong.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 PM

Sweat shirts became hoodies.
Thongs used to be shoes, now they are underwear.
DWI became DUI
I'm still trying to figure out the right thing to call my internet/TV provider, since I've used cable, satellite and DSL, all within the last 10 years.

But we still dial a phone.
Go figure.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:01 PM

Word of the decade for the 2010s might be 'super'
I don't think I'm being unreasonable if I suggest that the number of inferences required to extrapolate the cause of Chinese population growth from your hairdresser's experience puts a burden on fundamental logic fair greater than it can reasonably bear. - RNATB
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate View Post
Sweat shirts became hoodies.
Thongs used to be shoes, now they are underwear.
DWI became DUI
I'm still trying to figure out the right thing to call my internet/TV provider, since I've used cable, satellite and DSL, all within the last 10 years.

But we still dial a phone.
Go figure.
1.) Only if it has a hood. A sweatshirt with no hood is still a sweatshirt.

2.) Shoes. Huh? (You mean flip flops?)

3.) Nope, different legal meaning that varies by state. Driving under the influence vs. driving while intoxicated. One is alcohol, the other is drugs - I can never keep straight which is which - and some states only use 1 and don't legally recognize the "other" charge.

4.) ISP. Internet Service Provider. (I never differentiate satellite or whatever, for T.V. services, now that I ponder it. I just say the company name, and I think that's what I hear others say as well. No need to specify if it's cable or not, just say, "I saw this show on Netflix and .. ")
Old 04-04-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
1.) Only if it has a hood. A sweatshirt with no hood is still a sweatshirt.

2.) Shoes. Huh? (You mean flip flops?)

3.) Nope, different legal meaning that varies by state. Driving under the influence vs. driving while intoxicated. One is alcohol, the other is drugs - I can never keep straight which is which - and some states only use 1 and don't legally recognize the "other" charge.

4.) ISP. Internet Service Provider. (I never differentiate satellite or whatever, for T.V. services, now that I ponder it. I just say the company name, and I think that's what I hear others say as well. No need to specify if it's cable or not, just say, "I saw this show on Netflix and .. ")
I can remember lots of people referring to flip flops as "thongs". Nowadays when you say "thong" people assume you're talking about underwear. I guess what the have in common is that strap in the middle. The shoes have a strap that goes between your toes and the underwear has a strap that goes between your buns.

DWI stands for Driving While Impaired (not intoxicated). Impairment can be caused by any number of drugs. I have heard some argue that impairment can also cover lack of sleep or emotional disturbance. I'm pretty sure DUI was the older term because it specifically referred to alcohol and then we needed a more general term which included not just alcohol but also other drugs so we switched it to DWI.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
"Ew!" I first heard on Big Bang Theory, when Ramona Nowitzki was introduced to Howard Wolowitz.

Howard: Howard Wolowitz, Department of Engineering, co-designer of the International Space Station's Liquid Waste Disposal System.
Ramona: Ew.

Howard: You know, the Pishkin--Wolowitz liquid waste disposal system is turning a few heads as well.
Ramona: Again, ew.
I'm sure it goes back further than that. I remember Jim Varney saying ew in the 1987 comedy Earnest Goes to Camp. OED says first recorded use is 1967 but admits that ew has gained popularity in the 21st century.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate View Post
DWI became DUI
I was trying to figure out when that happened, as I grew up with it being DUI as long as I remember being aware of the term (I was born in '75). Judging by the Chicago Tribune archive, it looks like around 1983, at least in this area.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunny8 View Post
DWI stands for Driving While Impaired (not intoxicated). Impairment can be caused by any number of drugs. I have heard some argue that impairment can also cover lack of sleep or emotional disturbance. I'm pretty sure DUI was the older term because it specifically referred to alcohol and then we needed a more general term which included not just alcohol but also other drugs so we switched it to DWI.
New York has DWI (Driving while intoxicated) and DWAI (Driving with Ability Impaired). The latter is if you've been drinking, but your BAC is just below the legal definition of DWI. The statute specifically says the terms only apply to alcohol or drug impairment.

There was an attempt to create a separate category for Driving while Drowsy, but it was never passed into law. Some other states do have laws, but none group it into DUI, since they usually have different penalties.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:20 PM

When I was young, oh so many years ago, the rolling metal round things with tires on them were invariably called wheels, unless someone used a brand name such as Keystones or Cragars.

Now they're called rims by far too many people.

I don't like it. Get off my lawn!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Ewww is fairly new, starting about 1985 according to ngrams. Ewwww is even newer.
I've got a one-man crusade to add EW to the allowed Scrabble two-letter words. If OW is on there, EW should be! So far the crusade hasn't gotten farther than the dining room.

Maybe sometimes a YOLO! is followed by a BOLO so it has replaced APB?
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 PM

If you like to put symbolic stickers on your pogo stick, and one day you hear of a great bargain on buying multiples of them illegally, and you know it's illegal but you go for it anyway, you might end up with YOLO BOGO pogo logo BOLO.

Ewwwwww.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo YOLO BOGO pogo logo BOLO buffalo buffalo.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:39 PM

No, the Buffalo buffalo have to wear string ties.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
When I was young, oh so many years ago, the rolling metal round things with tires on them were invariably called wheels, unless someone used a brand name such as Keystones or Cragars.

Now they're called rims by far too many people.

I don't like it. Get off my lawn!
Rims are what replaced hubcaps, not wheels. They may sometimes be used for the whole assembly, through synecdoche, but most users differentiate between them.

And my spell check doesn't recognize synecdoche. I'm outraged!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Rims are what replaced hubcaps, not wheels. They may sometimes be used for the whole assembly, through synecdoche, but most users differentiate between them.

It wants you to come up with another word that can stand for "synecdoche".
Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rims are what replaced hubcaps, not wheels.
See, to me a hubcap is yet another thing. It's a wheel cover (although there is also some nitpicky difference between hubcaps and wheel covers if you get technical). If you look down on this page, all those decorative discs you see are what I would call "hubcaps." I would not call those "rims," though. You can pop them off and back in the day you used to find them on the side of the road from cars who lost them while hitting a pothole. Rims are the outer part of the wheel or the wheel itself.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-04-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
The programmers writing computer programs turned into coders writing code.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
"One-Adam-12, One-Adam-12, be on the lookout for ..."

Been around a long while.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I've got a one-man crusade to add EW to the allowed Scrabble two-letter words. If OW is on there, EW should be! So far the crusade hasn't gotten farther than the dining room.
EW is allowed in Words with Friends, but then so are a lot of other non-Scrabble legal words.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:

Uh, not from my experience. All of these giant 22"+ diameter wheels called rims don't even have wheel covers or hubcaps. Yes, they are calling the whole wheel a rim as you have stated. My experience is from hearing it from about a decade's worth of high school kids always using the term rim in referring to car wheels.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Lots and lots of slang is local, YMMV. A quick search finds sellers offerings rims and wheels, but maybe street slang varies.

I did find an early example of eww, though.

On the first episode of The Jetsons, Jane goes shopping for a robot maid. The snooty salesman blanches when he hears that the family has a mere three bedroom apartment, no matter that was gigantic by 1962 standards. “Eww, a slum clearance project. So you’ll want to see our basic economy model.” He definitely says eww. It's not supposed to be future talk, either; from context it's just the way salesmen talk as they did contemporaneously.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
EW is allowed in Words with Friends, but then so are a lot of other non-Scrabble legal words.
Depends on the dictionary used to govern what is acceptable, Eew was only fairly recently accepted in SOWPODS, I don't play TWL and who freakin knows what words with friends deems acceptable..