#1  
Old 03-21-2018, 02:06 AM
bardos bardos is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maui
Posts: 903
New names for things

I have been off-planet for a while. On returning I found the following hacks had taken place.

When did an APB become a BOLO? (police work)
When did bolts become fasteners? (car work)
When did disgusting become ewww?

curious
  #2  
Old 03-21-2018, 02:56 AM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,666
Bolts became fasteners on the day when not all of them were (literal) bolts.

The other words, I'm with you.
  #3  
Old 03-21-2018, 03:00 AM
Iggy Iggy is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: somewhere else
Posts: 5,233
My workplace, a 911 centre, was using BOLO from before I started there 12 years ago. Oddly when making a note in a report that we aired a BOLO on the radio we invariably note "APB aired". Go figure.
  #4  
Old 03-21-2018, 03:26 AM
Mangetout's Avatar
Mangetout Mangetout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: England
Posts: 57,787
Bolts have been fasteners for a long time. 'Fastener' is a category term that includes bolts, machine screws, wood screws, rivets, pins, clips, nails and probably a lot of other things too. The change that happened is the usage of the category term for items within the category.
  #5  
Old 03-21-2018, 06:47 AM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 11,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
I have been off-planet for a while. On returning I found the following hacks had taken place.

When did an APB become a BOLO? (police work)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-points_bulletin

Don't know when the change happened, but BOLO ("Be On the Look Out") is somewhat more descriptive than APB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
When did disgusting become ewww?
That's reserved for people who eschew adjectives in favor of interjections.
  #6  
Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 AM
zimaane zimaane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: washington, dc
Posts: 629
BOLO seems easier to say than ABP, imho...
  #7  
Old 03-21-2018, 09:28 AM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 30,438
Ewww is fairly new, starting about 1985 according to ngrams. Ewwww is even newer.

BOLO is not replacing APB. APB is gaining on it.

Fastener has increased slightly, but bolt is still by far the more common word.

Caveat: Ngrams doesn't pick up spoken uses, message boards, social media, or lots of other casual usages so those may bias what you hear in daily life.
  #8  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 PM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,666
I think "spoken" vs. "typed in a formal document" vs. "typed in quick communication" are often much more different from each other than we realize.
  #9  
Old 03-21-2018, 02:54 PM
AWB AWB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
I have been off-planet for a while. On returning I found the following hacks had taken place.

When did an APB become a BOLO? (police work)
In my mind, BOLO became more popular with the TV show NCIS. The acronym LEO also became more common, IMO.
  #10  
Old 03-21-2018, 03:25 PM
bardos bardos is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maui
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
In my mind, BOLO became more popular with the TV show NCIS. The acronym LEO also became more common, IMO.
Yes, obviously popular in films and TV, but this must be mirroring actual police usage, no? When did the police do this switch over? might be my real question.
  #11  
Old 03-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Gary T Gary T is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 11,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
When did bolts become fasteners? (car work)
Bolts have always been fasteners, the same way oaks have always been trees. I read a lot of automotive repair info, and I haven't seen the change you mention.
  #12  
Old 03-22-2018, 02:16 AM
Yorkshire Pudding Yorkshire Pudding is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
BOLO ("Be On the Look Out") is somewhat more descriptive than APB
Oh, my word. Had no idea it was an acronym. I think - if I thought about it at all - I probably thought it was "Bullo", short for bulletin, short for All-Points Bulletin: cop slang, basically.
  #13  
Old 03-26-2018, 10:36 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 16,214
"Ew!" I first heard on Big Bang Theory, when Ramona Nowitzki was introduced to Howard Wolowitz.

Howard: Howard Wolowitz, Department of Engineering, co-designer of the International Space Station's Liquid Waste Disposal System.
Ramona: Ew.

Howard: You know, the Pishkin--Wolowitz liquid waste disposal system is turning a few heads as well.
Ramona: Again, ew.
__________________
If a man says something but no woman is around to hear it, is he still stupid?
  #14  
Old 03-26-2018, 12:16 PM
WOOKINPANUB's Avatar
WOOKINPANUB WOOKINPANUB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St Petersburg, Floriduhhh
Posts: 6,559
While we'e at it, when did vd* (venereal disease) become std (sexually transmitted disease)? I mean, it's not actually new - I first heard it about 30 years ago when I was at a free clinic getting birth control and I unknowingly sat with the STD sufferers. I had no idea until one of the women in the waiting room told me - but it seems like the term changed overnight and everyone heard about it but me Maybe a better question would be why it changed.





* Dopers of a certain age may remember the old films from Sex Ed. where a guy learns he has gonorrhea and has to call all his partners, whereby we see all these girls pick up the phone, listen for a moment, and scream "You have WHAT???!!!!"
  #15  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:28 PM
SmartAleq's Avatar
SmartAleq SmartAleq is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PDXLNT
Posts: 4,739
It's most commonly STI, for "sexually transmitted infection" these days. Because "venereal" isn't all that intuitive a word so "sexually transmitted" most accurately describes how you get it. And "disease" has connotations of severity that aren't always appropriate. STI is the most accurate usage and therefore preferable.
  #16  
Old 03-26-2018, 04:32 PM
mbh mbh is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,140
Somewhere along the way, computer programmers stopped "writing programs" and started "creating applications".


Negro ---> Colored Person ---> Afro-American --->Black ---> African-American
When I was in college, "colored" was forbidden, unless you were specifically referring to the NAACP. Today, I see "person of color" seems to be acceptable in some contexts.
  #17  
Old 04-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Derleth Derleth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 20,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Somewhere along the way, computer programmers stopped "writing programs" and started "creating applications".
This is, simply, wrong.
  #18  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 PM
Tastes of Chocolate Tastes of Chocolate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: slightly north of center
Posts: 4,682
Sweat shirts became hoodies.
Thongs used to be shoes, now they are underwear.
DWI became DUI
I'm still trying to figure out the right thing to call my internet/TV provider, since I've used cable, satellite and DSL, all within the last 10 years.

But we still dial a phone.
Go figure.
  #19  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Aspidistra Aspidistra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,852
Word of the decade for the 2010s might be 'super'
__________________
I don't think I'm being unreasonable if I suggest that the number of inferences required to extrapolate the cause of Chinese population growth from your hairdresser's experience puts a burden on fundamental logic fair greater than it can reasonably bear. - RNATB
  #20  
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 AM
purplehorseshoe purplehorseshoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 9,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate View Post
Sweat shirts became hoodies.
Thongs used to be shoes, now they are underwear.
DWI became DUI
I'm still trying to figure out the right thing to call my internet/TV provider, since I've used cable, satellite and DSL, all within the last 10 years.

But we still dial a phone.
Go figure.
1.) Only if it has a hood. A sweatshirt with no hood is still a sweatshirt.

2.) Shoes. Huh? (You mean flip flops?)

3.) Nope, different legal meaning that varies by state. Driving under the influence vs. driving while intoxicated. One is alcohol, the other is drugs - I can never keep straight which is which - and some states only use 1 and don't legally recognize the "other" charge.

4.) ISP. Internet Service Provider. (I never differentiate satellite or whatever, for T.V. services, now that I ponder it. I just say the company name, and I think that's what I hear others say as well. No need to specify if it's cable or not, just say, "I saw this show on Netflix and .. ")
__________________
I can haz sig line?
  #21  
Old 04-04-2018, 09:00 AM
sbunny8 sbunny8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
1.) Only if it has a hood. A sweatshirt with no hood is still a sweatshirt.

2.) Shoes. Huh? (You mean flip flops?)

3.) Nope, different legal meaning that varies by state. Driving under the influence vs. driving while intoxicated. One is alcohol, the other is drugs - I can never keep straight which is which - and some states only use 1 and don't legally recognize the "other" charge.

4.) ISP. Internet Service Provider. (I never differentiate satellite or whatever, for T.V. services, now that I ponder it. I just say the company name, and I think that's what I hear others say as well. No need to specify if it's cable or not, just say, "I saw this show on Netflix and .. ")
I can remember lots of people referring to flip flops as "thongs". Nowadays when you say "thong" people assume you're talking about underwear. I guess what the have in common is that strap in the middle. The shoes have a strap that goes between your toes and the underwear has a strap that goes between your buns.

DWI stands for Driving While Impaired (not intoxicated). Impairment can be caused by any number of drugs. I have heard some argue that impairment can also cover lack of sleep or emotional disturbance. I'm pretty sure DUI was the older term because it specifically referred to alcohol and then we needed a more general term which included not just alcohol but also other drugs so we switched it to DWI.
  #22  
Old 04-04-2018, 09:07 AM
sbunny8 sbunny8 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
"Ew!" I first heard on Big Bang Theory, when Ramona Nowitzki was introduced to Howard Wolowitz.

Howard: Howard Wolowitz, Department of Engineering, co-designer of the International Space Station's Liquid Waste Disposal System.
Ramona: Ew.

Howard: You know, the Pishkin--Wolowitz liquid waste disposal system is turning a few heads as well.
Ramona: Again, ew.
I'm sure it goes back further than that. I remember Jim Varney saying ew in the 1987 comedy Earnest Goes to Camp. OED says first recorded use is 1967 but admits that ew has gained popularity in the 21st century.
  #23  
Old 04-04-2018, 10:02 AM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate View Post
DWI became DUI
I was trying to figure out when that happened, as I grew up with it being DUI as long as I remember being aware of the term (I was born in '75). Judging by the Chicago Tribune archive, it looks like around 1983, at least in this area.
  #24  
Old 04-04-2018, 12:08 PM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck RealityChuck is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 41,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunny8 View Post
DWI stands for Driving While Impaired (not intoxicated). Impairment can be caused by any number of drugs. I have heard some argue that impairment can also cover lack of sleep or emotional disturbance. I'm pretty sure DUI was the older term because it specifically referred to alcohol and then we needed a more general term which included not just alcohol but also other drugs so we switched it to DWI.
New York has DWI (Driving while intoxicated) and DWAI (Driving with Ability Impaired). The latter is if you've been drinking, but your BAC is just below the legal definition of DWI. The statute specifically says the terms only apply to alcohol or drug impairment.

There was an attempt to create a separate category for Driving while Drowsy, but it was never passed into law. Some other states do have laws, but none group it into DUI, since they usually have different penalties.
__________________
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
  #25  
Old 04-04-2018, 03:20 PM
california jobcase california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 3,101
When I was young, oh so many years ago, the rolling metal round things with tires on them were invariably called wheels, unless someone used a brand name such as Keystones or Cragars.

Now they're called rims by far too many people.

I don't like it. Get off my lawn!
  #26  
Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 PM
gigi gigi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 25,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Ewww is fairly new, starting about 1985 according to ngrams. Ewwww is even newer.
I've got a one-man crusade to add EW to the allowed Scrabble two-letter words. If OW is on there, EW should be! So far the crusade hasn't gotten farther than the dining room.

Maybe sometimes a YOLO! is followed by a BOLO so it has replaced APB?
  #27  
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 PM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,666
If you like to put symbolic stickers on your pogo stick, and one day you hear of a great bargain on buying multiples of them illegally, and you know it's illegal but you go for it anyway, you might end up with YOLO BOGO pogo logo BOLO.


Ewwwwww.
  #28  
Old 04-04-2018, 06:35 PM
gigi gigi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 25,528
Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo YOLO BOGO pogo logo BOLO buffalo buffalo.
  #29  
Old 04-04-2018, 06:39 PM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,666
No, the Buffalo buffalo have to wear string ties.
  #30  
Old 04-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 30,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
When I was young, oh so many years ago, the rolling metal round things with tires on them were invariably called wheels, unless someone used a brand name such as Keystones or Cragars.

Now they're called rims by far too many people.

I don't like it. Get off my lawn!
Rims are what replaced hubcaps, not wheels. They may sometimes be used for the whole assembly, through synecdoche, but most users differentiate between them.

And my spell check doesn't recognize synecdoche. I'm outraged!
  #31  
Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 PM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Rims are what replaced hubcaps, not wheels. They may sometimes be used for the whole assembly, through synecdoche, but most users differentiate between them.

And my spell check doesn't recognize synecdoche. I'm outraged!
It wants you to come up with another word that can stand for "synecdoche".
  #32  
Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Rims are what replaced hubcaps, not wheels.
See, to me a hubcap is yet another thing. It's a wheel cover (although there is also some nitpicky difference between hubcaps and wheel covers if you get technical). If you look down on this page, all those decorative discs you see are what I would call "hubcaps." I would not call those "rims," though. You can pop them off and back in the day you used to find them on the side of the road from cars who lost them while hitting a pothole. Rims are the outer part of the wheel or the wheel itself.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-04-2018 at 08:48 PM.
  #33  
Old 04-05-2018, 06:09 AM
Arjuna34 Arjuna34 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Somewhere along the way, computer programmers stopped "writing programs" and started "creating applications".
The programmers writing computer programs turned into coders writing code.
  #34  
Old 04-05-2018, 09:50 AM
DSYoungEsq DSYoungEsq is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Indian Land, S Carolina
Posts: 13,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
In my mind, BOLO became more popular with the TV show NCIS. The acronym LEO also became more common, IMO.
"One-Adam-12, One-Adam-12, be on the lookout for ..."

Been around a long while.
  #35  
Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I've got a one-man crusade to add EW to the allowed Scrabble two-letter words. If OW is on there, EW should be! So far the crusade hasn't gotten farther than the dining room.
EW is allowed in Words with Friends, but then so are a lot of other non-Scrabble legal words.
  #36  
Old 04-06-2018, 11:50 PM
california jobcase california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Rims are what replaced hubcaps, not wheels. They may sometimes be used for the whole assembly, through synecdoche, but most users differentiate between them.

And my spell check doesn't recognize synecdoche. I'm outraged!
Uh, not from my experience. All of these giant 22"+ diameter wheels called rims don't even have wheel covers or hubcaps. Yes, they are calling the whole wheel a rim as you have stated. My experience is from hearing it from about a decade's worth of high school kids always using the term rim in referring to car wheels.
  #37  
Old 04-11-2018, 10:33 PM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 30,438
Lots and lots of slang is local, YMMV. A quick search finds sellers offerings rims and wheels, but maybe street slang varies.

I did find an early example of eww, though.

On the first episode of The Jetsons, Jane goes shopping for a robot maid. The snooty salesman blanches when he hears that the family has a mere three bedroom apartment, no matter that was gigantic by 1962 standards. “Eww, a slum clearance project. So you’ll want to see our basic economy model.” He definitely says eww. It's not supposed to be future talk, either; from context it's just the way salesmen talk as they did contemporaneously.
  #38  
Old 04-12-2018, 05:12 AM
VictoryLap VictoryLap is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Stuck in a 4WD somewhere
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
EW is allowed in Words with Friends, but then so are a lot of other non-Scrabble legal words.
Depends on the dictionary used to govern what is acceptable, Eew was only fairly recently accepted in SOWPODS, I don't play TWL and who freakin knows what words with friends deems acceptable..
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017