Old 01-27-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I guess that'll heat up all the right-to-lifers out there, won't it. /s
Old 01-27-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I guess that'll heat up all the right-to-lifers out there, won't it. /s
She's probably aiming to set up a corporation that franchises "Jesus abortion clinics - only satanic babies aborted". It's all about the money, after all.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
She's probably aiming to set up a corporation that franchises "Jesus abortion clinics - only satanic babies aborted". It's all about the money, after all.
Such a clinic could claim to have identified a gayness gene that can tested for prenatally. Offer this test cheaply, report a high positive rate (just to be on the safe side), charge significantly for an abortion. If anyone asks if there really is a gayness gene and how the clinic tests for it, the clinic then claims protection for their business practices on the basis of religion.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 01-27-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:39 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Such a clinic could claim to have identified a gayness gene that can tested for prenatally. Offer this test cheaply, report a high positive rate (just to be on the safe side), charge significantly for an abortion. If anyone asks if there really is a gayness gene and how the clinic tests for it, the clinic then claims protection for their business practices on the basis of religion.
I read a short story years ago in a Queer SF collection, that took the premise that the discovery of a "gay gene" led to the collapse of abortion opposition in the US, as all the evangelical faiths flipped their position once they found out that they could abort the gay away. The only exception was the Catholic church, which stuck to its guns - with the side effect, a few generations later, being that gay bars ended up looking like mid-century Italian restaurants with gaudy Catholic iconography everywhere, and wearing a Virgin Mary t-shirt was basically the same as waving a Gay Pride flag.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

The idea of prenatal genetic testing that could determine the sexual orientation of the baby was also the subject of the play and movie The Twilight of the Golds.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I read a short story years ago in a Queer SF collection, that took the premise that the discovery of a "gay gene" led to the collapse of abortion opposition in the US, as all the evangelical faiths flipped their position once they found out that they could abort the gay away. The only exception was the Catholic church, which stuck to its guns - with the side effect, a few generations later, being that gay bars ended up looking like mid-century Italian restaurants with gaudy Catholic iconography everywhere, and wearing a Virgin Mary t-shirt was basically the same as waving a Gay Pride flag.
OK, for some reason I really want to read this. Do you remember the title or author?

Satanic pregnancy, however, seems to be a commonly-used metaphor in the Pentacostal community, where it's commonly understood that it has nothing to do with literal pregnancy or abortion. I think this is simply a case of a person having no awareness of how weird it sounds to people outside of her faith tradition, probably because she isn't used to communicating with anyone outside of her little bubble.

Last edited by Fretful Porpentine; 01-27-2020 at 02:24 PM. Reason: to make this post actually on topic
Old 01-27-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
The idea of prenatal genetic testing that could determine the sexual orientation of the baby was also the subject of the play and movie The Twilight of the Golds.
I saw the made-for-TV movie back in the day, but I admit not feeling any kind of suspense when I saw Rosie O'Donnell was playing a supporting role and reasoned that she would never have agreed to appear in the film if it ended with the likely-gay fetus being aborted.

I had not known the movie was based on a stage play, and I admit some amusement to read the quote on the wiki page:
Quote:
The play had received strong reviews across the country but was "largely clobbered" when it reached Broadway.
I could look into it further, but I figure offhand that when the play got to Broadway, that audience didn't see the conflict as a moral dilemma, i.e. they had no sympathy for the pregnant woman contemplating aborting her "gay" fetus. It wouldn't be "Should she do A or B, each of which has its pros and cons", but "Should she do the obviously stupid ignorant thing or not do the obviously stupid ignorant thing". Since the play ends with the abortion, the message is just "it sucks to be gay in America". A Broadway audience would be pretty aware of this already - it's not like it would be some thought-provoking revelation to them.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Strangely good business idea.

The moral questions on it are crazy no matter what your viewpoints, but it's easy money with people who want a cover story for what they're doing.

You'd need a way to explain the 100% gay gene finding. Probably devise some form of home test for people to take, to get them in the door, and then have a quiz when they get to the clinic where you try to determine whether they're likely to regret their decision and have the financial resources to sue, and give them back a "straight baby" result, so you have a somewhat less than 100% gay finding rate.

So you tell people, "A mom can sense it", have the home test have a 90% rate, the in-clinic have a 90% rate, and you have plausible deniability.

Whee.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Strangely good business idea.

The moral questions on it are crazy no matter what your viewpoints, but it's easy money with people who want a cover story for what they're doing.

You'd need a way to explain the 100% gay gene finding. Probably devise some form of home test for people to take, to get them in the door, and then have a quiz when they get to the clinic where you try to determine whether they're likely to regret their decision and have the financial resources to sue, and give them back a "straight baby" result, so you have a somewhat less than 100% gay finding rate.

So you tell people, "A mom can sense it", have the home test have a 90% rate, the in-clinic have a 90% rate, and you have plausible deniability.

Whee.
I was thinking to have a quota system, or at least adopt an airline-style overbooking model. If the abortion doctor is going to be at the clinic on Tuesday and can schedule ten appointments that day, just give the first 15 clients a "positive" on the assumption that 5 will chicken out, and everyone past those 15 gets a negative because of course the test itself is meaningless.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:41 PM

I think if Trump ordered his evangelical followers to have a tracking chip implanted under their skin, right next to a tattoo of the numbers "666", about 70% of them would rush right out and do as he commanded.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I think if Trump ordered his evangelical followers to have a tracking chip implanted under their skin, right next to a tattoo of the numbers "666", about 70% of them would rush right out and do as he commanded.
They'd consider it an act of rebellion against fake-news and as a trigger for liberals, especially if the tattoo is clearly visible, like across their foreheads.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
What (literally) on Earth were they pointing to instead?
Well it's because ummm, as Trump said, uhhhh "water is big" or something
Old 01-27-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Clearly the piece of shit was implying that the reporter misidentified Ukraine. Just another lie from the administration of lies. Something to be proud of, eh Republicans?
I would LOVE to see someone with a backbone just tell them to their face on LIVE national TV, "shut the fuck up and stop lying".
Old 01-27-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
I would LOVE to see someone with a backbone just tell them to their face on LIVE national TV, "shut the fuck up and stop lying".
Whichever Democrat ends up facing Trump in the debates (assuming he doesn't chicken out) should do exactly that.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Looks interesting. And by the way, a major classic on collaborationism is being shown tonight (12:45am EST) on TCM: The Sorrow and the Pity.

Quote:
I agree with Sage Rat that this sounds like a good business idea, though I don't think "on the basis of religion" (my emphasis in the quote) would work across the board. Most evangelicals would not concede that homosexuality is genetically-based; they prefer to think of it as a matter of willful sin. You were NOT born that way; you are CHOOSING an evil lifestyle!!!!!1!

Other than that, the idea would have no trouble attracting investors.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 01-27-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Most evangelicals would not concede that homosexuality is genetically-based; they prefer to think of it as a matter of willful sin. You were NOT born that way; you are CHOOSING an evil lifestyle!!!!!1!
Most evangelicals would not publicly concede that homosexuality is genetically-based, I could grant you, but given the chance to quietly get a test done just to make God show His work, I think the potential customer pool is there.
Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM

Pompeo had an NPR reporter removed from his plane because of his feud with NPR.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...stup-n1124326?
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
What a fucking baby! I've seen 3rd graders with thicker skins. "She's asking me a tough question. I know someone on my staff agreed to that question, but boo fucking hoo".
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Reading "removed from his plane," I pictured much worse.
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, let's have a round of applause for America's top diplomat!
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, let's have a round of applause for America's top diplomat!
Bravo!
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I shall applaud without my hands ever coming in contact with each other let me see, whose ears should I use ...
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Most evangelicals would not publicly concede that homosexuality is genetically-based, I could grant you, but given the chance to quietly get a test done just to make God show His work, I think the potential customer pool is there.
You could be right. People who profess to believe anti-science stuff sometimes, in secret, actually do believe the science.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
What a fucking baby! I've seen 3rd graders with thicker skins. "She's asking me a tough question. I know someone on my staff agreed to that question, but boo fucking hoo".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Reading "removed from his plane," I pictured much worse.
Pompeo is saving that for 2024, when he's actually running for President.
Old Today, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
You could be right. People who profess to believe anti-science stuff sometimes, in secret, actually do believe the science.
They "believe" science if it suits them. Electrons are as much a theory as evolution but I haven't heard of anyone* refusing to use them on that account.

*Except maybe the Amish.