Old 01-25-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
'The world is coming to an end in twelve years' is "a tad exaggerated".
No shit, it was fucking hilarious! The fact that she implied the world was coming to an end in twelve years, when what she meant was if we don't take huge step to fix things in twelve years we're all fucked...sure, laughed my tits off! Silly fucking cow, eh?

I appreciate that it's not a problem that will affect you, on account of you being an old fuck and all that, but considering you presumably love your adopted kids...don't you wonder if it might be better to focus on the actual issue there, rather than trying to score some points against the young female politician who gets you so het up?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
You people slay me....
It's not like it's about something serious, like an inauguration.

Regards,
Shodan
Besides, IOKIARDI.
What does this even mean? (No, not the "IOKIARDI" — I didn't know what that means either, but Googled it — the "serious ... inauguration.")

My guess is: Fraudster/Traitor lied about his inauguration; Fact-checkers caught him in the Lie; Mr. Regards thinks that fact-checking was a waste of time; the trillions spent on that fact-checking should have been spent on more Benghazi investigations or on a military parade bigger and better than Kim Jong-il's. Am I warm?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat View Post
...considering you presumably love your adopted kids...
Point of fucking order. They are his kids. Full-fucking-stop.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Point of fucking order. They are his kids. Full-fucking-stop.
You are entirely correct. I apologise to Shodan.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
What does this even mean? (No, not the "IOKIARDI" — I didn't know what that means either, but Googled it — the "serious ... inauguration.")

My guess is: Fraudster/Traitor lied about his inauguration; Fact-checkers caught him in the Lie; Mr. Regards thinks that fact-checking was a waste of time; the trillions spent on that fact-checking should have been spent on more Benghazi investigations or on a military parade bigger and better than Kim Jong-il's. Am I warm?
He is implying that the Democrats/Left raised a tempest in a teapot over that, so, I guess, why should we take them seriously, or something like that.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You are entirely correct. I apologise to Shodan.
That's very kind of you, and I appreciate it, but it isn't at all necessary. It's the same thing.

However, now that you have triggered me, in penance you must now listen to an interminable monologue on how well my children are doing in their jobs, how we are going out for my and my son's birthday tomorrow, what they had to say over the holidays, what my daughter did for her godson's birthday, my son's new hairstyle, where we are going for our next family vacation, etc., etc. Get comfortable - this is going to take a while.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-25-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
That's very kind of you, and I appreciate it, but it isn't at all necessary. It's the same thing.
It is the same thing, which is why suggesting a distinction is entirely incorrect. The apology is entirely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
However, now that you have triggered me, in penance you must now listen to an interminable monologue on how well my children are doing in their jobs, how we are going out for my and my son's birthday tomorrow, what they had to say over the holidays, what my daughter did for her godson's birthday, my son's new hairstyle, where we are going for our next family vacation, etc., etc. Get comfortable - this is going to take a while.
Just a fucking shame then that if we don't take major steps in the very near future (as a non-partisan person would have construed AOC's comments) they and their children are royally fucked.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:13 PM

Andros and Gary Kumquat: The kind of behaviour you just exhibited is a great reminder that even if we disagree vehemently on politics, there are good people on both sides. Thank you.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Turns out my earlier tweeted weather forecast was a piker compared to what’s coming next:

https://twitter.com/slackerinc/statu...619216384?s=21

Still time to buy low on land speculation up here for future housing development. Or medium-low: we already have a housing and construction boom.
Why would I want to do that? Climate change will make extremes worse. You may end up having a slightly higher average temperature, but you don't take average temperature to the bank.

What you will also see is more and more extreme storms and temperatures. You will get highs that you've never seen before in the summer, and lows like you've never seen in the winter. You will also see record snowfalls, wind speeds and all the other fun weather activities.

Quote:
By a thirteen point margin, Democrats would prefer to focus on improving the ACA rather than going for MFA: https://www.kff.org/slideshow/public...care-coverage/
Improving the ACA is moving in the direction of MFA. I don't like the ACA as is, it was, at best, an okay start. It was flawed, and pretty terrible, and the only thing it had going for it was that it was much better than what we had before.

A reasonable government would start with ACA, and improve it, with the likely outcome and maybe even goal of eventually becoming MFA.

Quote:
Did they say "if you don't quit smoking, you will die in six months"?
I was told I wouldn't see my 30th birthday (I did), among many ultimatums about things that could happen to me. Now, I didn't die before 30, but there are those who did.

If you tell me and my friend that we will be dead by 30 if we don't quit smoking, and I am still around at 31, but my friend died from smoking related illness at 29, did I really just prove them wrong that smoking is harmful to my health?
Quote:

You people slay me. $21 trillion from the Pentagon, the world is coming to an end - just slight exaggerations. It's not like it's about something serious, like an inauguration.
Well, you are the one that gets all butthurt about these slight exaggerations. They way you go on about it, you'd think that her comments were something serious.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Or, you know, 6000 criminal gang members crossing the Mexican border, used as an excuse to demand a Wall that is the reason the government is shut down. Or 18 million illegal votes in 2016, used as an excuse to purge voters likely to support political opponents from the rolls and dissolve the voter fraud commission.

Of the countless things I hate Trump for, one of them is that he seems to have sparked this notion for many on the left: “fuck it, Trump lies constantly, so why should we bother to be honest and accurate?” No. No! NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
And, while it may be that I am reading the chart wrong, the # and the % are describing two* different data sets and have only a, at best, correlative relation with each other. And, if so, any argument which starts with the assumption that there is a direct mathematical relationship between the # and the % is a flawed one at that. You know, arguments like:

(I wouldn't hold up a lake city as a proxy for the (largely landlocked) Midwest, but whatever.)

Regardless, you can have BOTH an increase in the number of REALLY HOT days AND an increase in the number of days you need to run your A/C, but arguing that the two must have a mathematical relationship so simple you can derive it just by looking at... how was it put, "cherry picked" data... is not at all accurate.

It’s a little hard to parse what you are even claiming here, but I think it’s highly likely you read the chart wrong, and a certainty that you read my comment wrong. The numbers that Gary misread are about extreme cold and extreme heat. Is that what you are referring to? Because I didn’t link them to anything: my only reference to them was to tell Gary they were not degree days.

ETA: Much of the Midwest as defined in this report (not including states like Kansas or Nebraska) is in fact part of the Great Lakes region.

Quote:
Mea culpa, won't deny my mistake there. Gloat away.

I won’t! A straightforward mea culpa of this sort is much stronger than any other response you could offer (or not responding at all), and I respect that. A lesson that still needs to be learned, BTW, by liberals who are stubbornly doubling down on the Covington thing—and, yes: by Trump a hundred times a day, every day.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 01-25-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:47 PM

BTW, this is the kind of environmental initiative I would love us to focus on instead of obsessing over climate change (which term, BTW, I just learned was one of Frank Luntz’s little tricks, which the left has obliviously signed on to):

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...ead/index.html

I would sign up for this in a hot second if it were available here. And I would absolutely support either subsidizing efforts like these, or penalizing disposable plastic via taxation.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW, this is the kind of environmental initiative I would love us to focus on instead of obsessing over climate change (which term, BTW, I just learned was one of Frank Luntz’s little tricks, which the left has obliviously signed on to):
Well, thanks for letting us know you are still drinking from a poisonous well.

The climate change term was not just a "little trick" by Frank Luntz, it was recommended by him to the Republicans to use instead of "global warming" as to make the issue less scary. And the left did not hang to it because of Luntz, but because scientists continued to use the term. What do you think the IPCC letters stand for?

So, in reality you got it backwards, it was a term used by scientists decades ago repeatedly and the republicans decided to hang on to the "apparent" change of terminology (it was not changed, Luntz just decided to focus on it and make the Republicans to say it as if that was the only term) in an attempt to make the scientists (and the left) as guys who are not being able to make up their minds. Somehow in the little pea brain of many Republicans in power it turned into the meme that "they changed the term, because it is not warming as predicted!* Now it is climate change!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqMunulJU7w
Quote:
Switching the words "climate change", for global warming, -- is it a devious, Orwellian perversion of the language, a mind controlling neurolinguistic word play engineered by psychological manipulators of the New World Order?. Climate deniers realize that only they can see through the evil plans of the global thought police.

What mysterious and secretive conspiracy is behind this monstrous mind game?
[spoiler]
'Nah, conspiracy minded fellows who think that are really hopeless dudes!'

Quote:
https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...ead/index.html

I would sign up for this in a hot second if it were available here. And I would absolutely support either subsidizing efforts like these, or penalizing disposable plastic via taxation.
And that is good and needed, although not much involved on the issue of dumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

* And of course in the previous years the warming got into record territory once again for a few years, making the warming to be more in tune with the predictions made early, and making the deniers look like idiots when they still pushed the idea of a 'pause in the warming' or that 'we are headed to a cooling phase'.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 01-25-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

And the stupid keeps going in the White House:

https://www.newsweek.com/sarah-sande...h-much-1301197
Quote:
“Look, I don’t think we’re going to listen to her on much of anything, particularly not on matters we’re gonna leave in the hands of a much, much higher authority, and certainly not listen to the freshman congresswoman on when the world may end,” she said. “We’re focused on what’s happening in the world right now.”
-Sarah Huckabee Sanders to Ocasio-Cortez.

Quote:
"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."
-- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

So, yes Miss Chug a bee Huckabee, we are the ones that have the power to do it.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...ris-agreement/
Quote:
China, India and the EU account for more than 40% of global emissions. Working together, they could help convince other big and mid-sized economies, such as those in Asia and Latin America, that they have ample room and economic incentives to accelerate. For example, Chile’s recent decision to phase out coal will see it well ahead of its Paris target as we move into the next decade.

Time is of the essence. As we have been rudely reminded this summer, there is no more room in the atmosphere for our carbon pollution. Going forward from 2020, annual global greenhouse gas emissions need to be half of what they were in the preceding decade. The good news is that countries and leaders who understand the need for speed are accelerating their climate action and also accelerating their growth.

A new industrial revolution is upon us, one that puts economic development and environmental protection on a level playing field. One that understands that ecological health and balance is intrinsic to long term well-being and prosperity.

Those who embrace this change will ultimately win the race.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:18 AM

It suddenly occurs to me that the "debate," even the diction, between Republicans and progressives on issues like climate change is eerily similar to the medieval "debates" after the publication of Copernicus' Dē revolutionibus orbium coelestium. The comparison became clear in GIGObuster's last post which quotes Ms. Suckabee as "leave in the hands of a much, much higher authority", while Professor Sagan echoes Giordano Bruno with "Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark."

Recall that Pope Clement VIII, before burning Bruno alive, ordered his mouth shuttered with iron spikes so he could no longer utter heresies. Similarly though less viciously, the Trumpists also seek to stifle science and the free press.

Last edited by septimus; 01-26-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
And the stupid keeps going in the White House:

https://www.newsweek.com/sarah-sande...h-much-1301197
Quote:
“Look, I don’t think we’re going to listen to her on much of anything, particularly not on matters we’re gonna leave in the hands of a much, much higher authority, and certainly not listen to the freshman congresswoman on when the world may end,” she said. “We’re focused on what’s happening in the world right now.”
-Sarah Huckabee Sanders to Ocasio-Cortez.

St. Carl is great (Hail Sagan!) but Ms. O-C came up with a more effective way to pwn the Huck
"'Genesis 1: God looked on the world & called it good not once, not twice, but seven times. Genesis 2: God commands all people to "serve and protect" creation. Leviticus: God mandates that not only the people, but the land that sustains them, shall be respected.'" … "You shouldn't need a Bible to tell you to protect our planet, but it does anyway."
Old 01-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

We're just not worthy.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"'Genesis 1: God looked on the world & called it good not once, not twice, but seven times.
Six, actually, but given Ms. AOC's problems with numeracy, I would say close enough for government work.
Quote:
Genesis 2: God commands all people to "serve and protect" creation.
No, "have dominion over the earth, and subdue it". Creation serves mankind, not vice versa. AOC is confusing the KJV with the LAPD.
Quote:
Leviticus: God mandates that not only the people, but the land that sustains them, shall be respected.'"
Leviticus is authoritative now? I can think of some passages that she might not want to bring up, if she is arguing the authority of Scripture.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-26-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I don't know man, the NIV doesn't say subdued:

" The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it."

Maybe you're reading from the wrong Bible?

https://www.biblica.com/bible/niv/genesis/2/

Last edited by JohnT; 01-26-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Good think I quoted Sagan, but regarding what people of faith should be doing:

https://www.ncronline.org/news/envir...climate-change
Quote:
"Climate change is an ecological and moral emergency that impacts all other aspects of our shared lives and requires us to work together to protect our common home."

—Faith and Science Joint Appeal for Climate Action
Old 01-26-2019, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Dude, here in America we only quote the Bible when it comes to individual "rights" and domination excuses. All that shit about collective responsibility is ignored. Get with the conservative program!

Last edited by JohnT; 01-26-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Six, actually, but given Ms. AOC's problems with numeracy, I would say close enough for government work.
She was quoting someone else there, idiot.

P.s., 7 is correct. I just counted.

Bet you never acknowledge your error.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."

Last edited by Evil Economist; 01-26-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
For those people who think Shodan might actually be right about something, I provide the following:
Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good [that's ONE]

And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good. [that's TWO]

And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. [THREE]

God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth, and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. [FOUR]

So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good [FIVE]

And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.[SIX]

Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. [SEVEN]
Seven. Ha ha ha.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."

Last edited by Evil Economist; 01-26-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
No, "have dominion over the earth, and subdue it". Creation serves mankind, not vice versa.
She was, as has been noted, quoting Genesis 2, in which the forebears of mankind were created. You are quoting Genesis 1, in which a different pair of humans were created, in a different manner.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
She was, as has been noted, quoting Genesis 2, in which the forebears of mankind were created. You are quoting Genesis 1, in which a different pair of humans were created, in a different manner.
Maybe that was the start of the whole problem. Did God create the progressives in Chapter 1 and the imbeciles in Chapter 2, or vice versa?
Old 01-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Trying to use the Bible (or Koran) as substantiation of any argument is ridiculous.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Maybe that was the start of the whole problem. Did God create the progressives in Chapter 1 and the imbeciles in Chapter 2, or vice versa?
Meh. Who cares. I'm waiting for the Old Ones and the Elder Things to return.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
In Chapter 1, they are created side-by-side, in his image, and told to rule the earth; in Chapter 2, the guy is created from the dirt (the common clay, you know …), then has the woman surgically extracted from him, and they are instructed to tend to stuff.

You decide.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
...Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
For those people who think Shodan might actually be right about something....
Who? What?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
She was quoting someone else there, idiot.

P.s., 7 is correct. I just counted.

Bet you never acknowledge your error.
My bad, then. Somebody else counted for her, which no doubt explains it. If Ms. AOC had counted it herself, she would have come up with 156, and y'all would be saying "Close enough".

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
My bad, then. Somebody else counted for her, which no doubt explains it. If Ms. AOC had counted it herself, she would have come up with 156, and y'all would be saying "Close enough".
Translation: "I was wrong but I'm going to pretend I was right, and then in this entirely fictitious scenario I made up in my head you were all wrong instead."

Whatever makes you happy which, like Mr Farnaby, seems to involve thinking a lot about AOC.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan
You are one truly sad human being, y'know that?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
You've just been corrected for being unable to accurately count to 7. You're not really in a position to mock someone else for their poor maths.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
You've just been corrected for being unable to accurately count to 7. You're not really in a position to mock someone else for their poor maths.
It's not just that. He's a devout Christian, married to a pastor. Shodan is the type of person that should pride himself on knowing this answer, especially given the fact that he tried to point out she was wrong. We're not talking just counting on fingers, we're talking about being wrong about the unassailable Word of God.

To quote another part of the Bible, "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall." He missed the day where they studied Paul's rather short letter to the church in Ephesus, when it was written, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."
Old 01-29-2019, 03:31 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
It's not just that. He's a devout Christian, married to a pastor.
Which makes it wholly unsurprising that he doesn’t know what the Bible says.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:44 AM

The really bizarre thing here is that republicans think AOC is an idiot while she plays them like a fiddle. I realize the average republican's IQ is best described as "below room temperature" (and we're not necessarily talking about Fahrenheit when it comes to people like Shodan), but you'd think at some point you'd realize just how trivially she's making you look bad and think, "Huh, maybe she's not stupid, even though I disagree with her."
Old 01-29-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
The really bizarre thing here is that republicans think AOC is an idiot while she plays them like a fiddle. I realize the average republican's IQ is best described as "below room temperature" (and we're not necessarily talking about Fahrenheit when it comes to people like Shodan), but you'd think at some point you'd realize just how trivially she's making you look bad and think, "Huh, maybe she's not stupid, even though I disagree with her."
The gullible ones think she's an idiot. The savvy ones are worried about young dynamic left-wingers with popular appeal and they're starting the smear campaign now to hamstring her - and anyone like her - in future. So they lie and lie and lie, misrepresenting her remarks and portraying her as a babbling idiot while conscientiously ignoring far, far worse remarks from their pet president. They had nearly 30 years to work on Hillary, and it never hurts to start early.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:19 AM

No one who supports Trump in any way has any ground to stand on, disparaging AOC’s intellect. She’s far smarter than Trump and his coterie of incompetent evildoers. And she has her heart in the right place. But for a prominent Democratic elected official, she strikes me as significantly below average in the smarts department.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
No one who supports Trump in any way has any ground to stand on, disparaging AOC’s intellect. She’s far smarter than Trump and his coterie of incompetent evildoers. And she has her heart in the right place. But for a prominent Democratic elected official, she strikes me as significantly below average in the smarts department.
I don't buy this. At worst, she's inexperienced (quite obviously) and not terribly skillful as to when she ought to say to herself "I'm gonna go learn about that topic before I make a definitive statement about it". But she literally just got here. Way, way too early to be making any definitive statements about her intelligence.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:45 AM

Well, I said “strikes me”. So, sure: we’ll see. But 29 is not 21, either.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I don't buy this. At worst, she's inexperienced (quite obviously) and not terribly skillful as to when she ought to say to herself "I'm gonna go learn about that topic before I make a definitive statement about it". But she literally just got here. Way, way too early to be making any definitive statements about her intelligence.
Uh, we didn't need a whole lot of time to judge Trump's intelligence.

I think both wear their degrees of embracing of reason and logic on their sleeves. And it is not pretty.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Oh, she's definitely inexperienced, idealistic and somewhat naïve, particularly with regard to public messaging. But she doesn't strike me as dumb at all. And she'll learn.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Uh, we didn't need a whole lot of time to judge Trump's intelligence.

I think both wear their degrees of embracing of reason and logic on their sleeves. And it is not pretty.
We had years of idiotic statements to judge Trump's intelligence. If you're comparing AOC to Trump in terms of saying stupid things, I think you're delusional.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 AM

Boy, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is all the nudniks want to talk about — and then they complain that the rational thinkers are talking about her.

Joe Lieberman, the contemptible ex-Senator from Aetna Inc., doesn't like AOC. For me, that's a ringing endorsement! Calling this scumbag a "Democrat" is a joke.

Here's an actual Democrat offering an opinion on AOC.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Joe Lieberman sucks hard.

But it seems there is something of a feud brewing between not only AOC but other democratic socialists like Sanders, and the Congressional Black Caucus. I will always take the side of the latter group.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:35 AM

The way Kamala Harris got burned and had to immediately walk back her statements about eliminating private health insurers should be a warning to you all. Here’s the CNN story about it, including some instructive poll numbers:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/polit...ash/index.html
Quote:
While many polls show the majority of Americans support a Medicare for all-type plan, they are less enamored with the idea of jettisoning their current insurance. A recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll found that 56% of Americans favor Medicare-for-all, but that approval rating drops to 37% when respondents heard that it would eliminate private health insurance companies.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
And no: I was not at all joking in looking forward to the projections of milder winters up here in northern Minnesota. Bring it on!
Yo Slacker, how's the milder winter treating you today?
Old 01-30-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
While one specific polar vortex like that is not direct evidence in favor or against global warming, the increase in the intensity and how long they remain in a region are very likely due to the warming of the earth; in this case, of the polar region.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...te-change-spd/
Quote:
A paper published today in the journal Nature Communications once again linked a warmer Arctic to snowier winters—this time specifically in the northeastern U.S.

The study comes on the heels of news that another nor'easter, the third in under two weeks, is headed toward New England.

It's consistent with study findings that abnormally warm Arctic temperatures make severe winters in the Northeast two to four times more likely.

“Warm temperatures in the Arctic cause the jet stream to take these wild swings, and when it swings farther south, that causes cold air to reach farther south. These swings tend to hang around for awhile, so the weather we have in the eastern United States, whether it’s cold or warm, tends to stay with us longer," said study co-author Jennifer Francis in a press release.

The research adds to theories that more extreme winters characterized by bomb cyclones and polar vortexes will be a more common climate change-induced pattern in the coming years.
BTW that report was commenting on the freeze from the previous years and the last one. I remember a few years ago it was amusing to see a denier point at research from a colleague of Jennifer Frances that also pointed to the curious connection between the warming of the arctic and the cold mass of air from the pole moving south in a more persistent way.

Being a denier, he insisted that the research from the polar scientist supported his view that the earth was not warming, or that the cooling showed what the winters in the Northeast did... something to the warming average, I think. Anyway, the very amusing part was when I cited a letter that showed that indeed the researcher and other experts do integrate global warming into their work, and that they do accept and use the previous research and data that shows that the earth is warming.

The denier had to plant his face on the floor twice, first by attempting to ignore that the letter to the newspaper showed that his explanation -that the polar researchers dismissed global warming- as a big error of his, and then he planted it harder when he showed that he had ignored that the writer of the piece was the same polar researcher that made the very same paper that the denier attempted to use to dismiss the observed global warming.

So, the increase in the warming of the earth caused by humans can also change weather patterns that increase seasonal cooling in some areas of the world.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 01-30-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post

This morning it got down to -39 (not including wind chill), and I went outside in shorts and a t-shirt to see what it felt like. (Spoiler: it felt cold.) Today we are supposed to get a high temp of -20!
Old 01-30-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
While one specific polar vortex like that is not direct evidence in favor or against global warming, the increase in the intensity and how long they remain in a region are very likely due to the warming of the earth; in this case, of the polar region.
I was just being sarcastic, primarily in response to our Dipshit in Chief's tweet yesterday that went something like "Boy, shure is cold around here. Two bad we cant get some of that old fashioned global warming back! SAD!!!

Quote:
This morning it got down to -39 (not including wind chill), and I went outside in shorts and a t-shirt to see what it felt like. (Spoiler: it felt cold.) Today we are supposed to get a high temp of -20!
Thanks for the spoiler! BRRRR!!!