Old 03-15-2019, 07:47 PM

They could have made a more sensible solution- suppose if a reliever fails to face 3 batters, his replacement gets no warmups from the mound. So if you absolutely must have a pitcher for one batter, you can still do it.

I like the limits on pitchers on the roster. Not enough pinch hitters available anymore.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I don't think it's enough of a limit.

I'd like to see it go back to 11, tops. The "emergency pitcher" idea is cool too.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:40 AM

So the Yanks added Gio Gonzales for only $3m. That's a very good deal for the Yanks.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
(I am also 100% behind limiting pickoff attempts but no one wants to do that I guess.)
How would you do that? eliminate the runner's ability to lead-off/steal? Count pickoff throws as balls? Either one would seriously upset the balance between baserunners and pitchers as-is. Do pickoff throws really take so much time they warrant that?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I. View Post
How would you do that? eliminate the runner's ability to lead-off/steal? Count pickoff throws as balls? Either one would seriously upset the balance between baserunners and pitchers as-is. Do pickoff throws really take so much time they warrant that?
I've seen this idea in a few plces but basically you'd set a number, two or three or whatever, on the number of times a pitcher could attempt a pickoff on a runner at a particular base in one at bat. So if Smith is on base, and Gonzalez is at bat, pitcher Suzuki can only try to pick off Smith twice without penalty. Once you have a new batter OR Smith advances to another base, you reset.

The penalty could of course be simply calling a ball, and that's my preferred idea. If Suzuki has already tried to pick off Smith twice, he can actually try again, he just has to accept a ball on the batter.

I like two things about this idea:

1. It will probably increase the use of basestealing as a strategy, which is a great thing. Basestealing is much more interesting that station-to-station baseball.

2. It adds tactics. Pitchers now just throw at threatening baserunners all the time, and many of the attempts are half-hearted. Limiting pickoffs presents decisions; do you use one now? Later? If you've already used two you get a really interesting cat and mouse game; as a baserunner do you ASSUME you can get a huge lead? Or will the pitcher use that against you, giving up a ball for a really good shot at picking you off? The count would affect it of course; the pitcher can't do that on 3-1 but on 0-2 might be very happy to give up a ball for a crack at killing off a baserunner.

3. It will reduce delays and improve pace of game. Not by a huge amount, but every little bit helps.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Well, so much for my dreams of seeing Trout wear Dodger blue in a couple of years:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-trout-angels-deal

ETA: That's an AAV of $35.8M, by my math.

Last edited by Asimovian; 03-19-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Jays Fan

It would be neat to see Trout spend his whole career in Anaheim. Apparently the odds of that have greatly increased now.

Trout won the MVP Award for the first time in 2014; since then, his on base percentage has improved every season. You can come up with remarkable Trout facts all day.

Most similar batters at the same age (26) -

Frank Robinson
Mickey Mantle
Ken Griffey Jr.
Hank Aaron
Miguel Cabrera
Orlando Cepeda
Mel Ott

Pretty good comparisons.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I've seen this idea in a few plces but basically you'd set a number, two or three or whatever, on the number of times a pitcher could attempt a pickoff on a runner at a particular base in one at bat. So if Smith is on base, and Gonzalez is at bat, pitcher Suzuki can only try to pick off Smith twice without penalty. Once you have a new batter OR Smith advances to another base, you reset.

The penalty could of course be simply calling a ball, and that's my preferred idea. If Suzuki has already tried to pick off Smith twice, he can actually try again, he just has to accept a ball on the batter.

I like two things about this idea:

1. It will probably increase the use of basestealing as a strategy, which is a great thing. Basestealing is much more interesting that station-to-station baseball.

2. It adds tactics. Pitchers now just throw at threatening baserunners all the time, and many of the attempts are half-hearted. Limiting pickoffs presents decisions; do you use one now? Later? If you've already used two you get a really interesting cat and mouse game; as a baserunner do you ASSUME you can get a huge lead? Or will the pitcher use that against you, giving up a ball for a really good shot at picking you off? The count would affect it of course; the pitcher can't do that on 3-1 but on 0-2 might be very happy to give up a ball for a crack at killing off a baserunner.

3. It will reduce delays and improve pace of game. Not by a huge amount, but every little bit helps.
I don't love it but I could live with it if you tweak it so that:

1) A successful pickoff attempt after the 2nd one does not result in a ball to the batter.
2) The pitcher does not have to come set after the 2nd attempt.
2a) Or, only pickoff attempts from the set position count against the pitcher.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:41 AM

how does replay work in the series in Japan? Do they still call New York?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I don't love it but I could live with it if you tweak it so that:

1) A successful pickoff attempt after the 2nd one does not result in a ball to the batter.
2) The pitcher does not have to come set after the 2nd attempt.
2a) Or, only pickoff attempts from the set position count against the pitcher.
Those make perfect sense.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:20 AM

There's nothing wrong with the current pickoff attempts. I don't think that impacts the pace of play that much. What kills the pace is that every batter channels Toby Harrah. Stop letting the batter step out and redo his gloves three times between pitches. Better yet, ban batting gloves if they can't stop playing with them. Might as well twirl a fidget spinner between pitches the way they carry on.

Regarding Trout- check back in after 5 years. Will the Angels revere his contract the way the Yankees did A-Rod in its later years
Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
... Better yet, ban batting gloves if they can't stop playing with them. ...
If pissing on your hands is good enough for Moises Alou, it's good enough for anyone.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Breaking news out of Japan: Ichiro is retiring tonight.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
There's nothing wrong with the current pickoff attempts. I don't think that impacts the pace of play that much. What kills the pace is that every batter channels Toby Harrah. Stop letting the batter step out and redo his gloves three times between pitches. Better yet, ban batting gloves if they can't stop playing with them. Might as well twirl a fidget spinner between pitches the way they carry on.
I 100% agree this is the most significant problem with pace of play.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Breaking news out of Japan: Ichiro is retiring tonight.
That's awesome he got to do it as a Mariner and in Japan.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
If pissing on your hands is good enough for Moises Alou, it's good enough for anyone.
I feel very strongly that players should not be able to step out of the batter's box in order to piss on their hands. I'm surprised there hasn't been a rule to prevent this already.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I feel very strongly that players should not be able to step out of the batter's box in order to piss on their hands. I'm surprised there hasn't been a rule to prevent this already.
I agree with Munch's statement 112%!
Old 03-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
What if it's someone else's piss?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
What if it's someone else's piss?
Ryan Braun would be subject to this rule as well.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 PM

Philip Roth's Great American Novel has a scene in which the great pitcher "Spit" Baal pisses on the ball before delivering a pitch, right there in front of God and everybody. That count?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:44 PM

No. Automatic disqualification due to that name.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 PM

They're reporting Sale is extended with the Red Sox for 5 years at $145 million.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM

So Rich Hill the Dodgers back up plan opening day starter just went on the DL with a mcl sprain. Losing #1 and #2 before the start of the season should be terrifying but Ryu is pretty good and we've got Bueller and Urias who have a ton of talent so we're still 3 deep which should allow us to survive this blip until Kershaw get up and running.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
So Rich Hill the Dodgers back up plan opening day starter just went on the DL with a mcl sprain. Losing #1 and #2 before the start of the season should be terrifying but Ryu is pretty good and we've got Bueller and Urias who have a ton of talent...
If the Dodgers don't hire Ben Stein to do the PA work when Bueller is pitching, I don't even know why the world exists.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Lot of extensions - Astros added two years to Verlander's contract (now through 2021) and a six-year contract with Alex Bregman that buys out the first 2 years of his free agency.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
If the Dodgers don't hire Ben Stein to do the PA work when Bueller is pitching, I don't even know why the world exists.
Even if they just play a recording it would be awesome enough.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM

If I was Bueller that would be my walk up music.

That being said we're finally in opening week. I'm looking forward to watching the D-bags get stomped to open the season.
Old Today, 08:20 AM

Jacob deGrom joins the parade and agrees to a 5 year, $137.5 million extension.

Is free agency dead?
Old Today, 08:23 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Well, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado sure don't think so.

Pre-FA contracts like that only exist because free agency does.
Old Today, 03:00 PM

Hyperbolic I know, but I don't remember a run of extensions like this before: Trout, Severino, Sale, deGrom, Verlander, Goldschmidt, Arenado...some of the biggest names in the sport.

Free agency isn't dead, but it's diminished. There was supposed to be bidding wars for Harper and Machado. Many thought that Harper would snag the first $400 million dollar contract. Maybe it's a market correction. Maybe it's because ageing players aren't producing anymore since their drugs got taken away. Maybe it's everything.

ETA: It's almost time to put this smelly old thread to bed. Baseball is back!

Last edited by Blank Slate; Today at 03:01 PM.
Old Today, 03:56 PM

Only 2 more days, and my Dodgers can begin another march towards the Series!
Old Today, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

In the exhibition game today between the Indians and the Rangers, they started the ninth inning with a runner on second. WTF? I don't ever want to see that even in extra innings. I'd much prefer you just call the game a tie. I'd prefer they do it only after 10 or 12 innings, but I could live with making it a tie after 9. But no free passes to second base -- never!
Old Today, 06:25 PM

Please leave my goddam game alone. People don't want to watch after an hour,
screw 'em.