Old 09-17-2019, 10:16 PM

RDR2 for PC???

Logging into Steam it had a large install for Rockstar. I take that a a clue, with no validation in any way what so ever that they may be preparing red dead 2. Gta V for PC was out of the blue, way back in the day. i have also had many drinks.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:52 AM

Although I really hope this will happen (and soon), GTA V had an announcement 10 months prior to its PC release - so I would not get my hopes up to much
Old 09-18-2019, 08:06 AM

It was probably the new Rockstar game launcher thing.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:43 PM

It takes Rockstar 1+ year each time. And RDR1 never came out for PC. So the only answer you can get is "maybe."
Old 09-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

What's up with that? Why don't they release all their games on PC after any exclusivity agreements end?
Old 09-18-2019, 11:55 PM

Who knows, they've been delaying the PC releases substantially since the 2002 release of GTA3 7 months after the PS2 release. But RDR never came out for PC alongside more obscure releases like Midnight Club, for AFAIK unknown reasons.

And exclusivity is usually about Sony vs. Microsoft, and RDR came out at the same time for both systems I think. They obviously want to add polish to the PC release, but not sure how RDR fell through the cracks.

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 09-18-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:44 PM

Red Dead Redemption 2 Coming to PC November 5th
Old 10-04-2019, 02:51 PM

Woohoo, That's what I was hoping for. After an awesome 2018, '19 so far had been a huge loser of a year for PC games. This is the first good news of the year, and it's almost over.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Just noticed it's not coming to steam until December. Is one more month of waiting worth having it in right launcher? decisions, decisions .
Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Just noticed it's not coming to steam until December. Is one more month of waiting worth having it in right launcher? decisions, decisions .
What is one more month compared to how long it has already been?

Plus that’s a month for them to patch some PC-specific bugs before you get it.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It seems that you will get much more bang for your buck if you buy it directly from Rockstar - sort of preorder offerings but they aren't there for Epic, and I assume GoG and Steam (eventually).
Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
What's up with that? Why don't they release all their games on PC after any exclusivity agreements end?
Porting to PC isn't necessarily easy unless it was assumed from the beginning. And, even then, PC often introduces unique problems due to the diversity of hardware and software.

I'd rather it be delayed than get a bad port. That said, many companies do both, which is BS. Hopefully RDR2 won't be one of those.

The delay for Steam is weird. Does it mean that Epic made an agreement that only restricts putting the game on Steam? That seems bizarre. As is a 1 month exclusivity window.

Maybe they are aware of how easy it is to crack Steam's DRM, and they have issues using their own proprietary DRM and Steam's at the same time? But, then, I know for certain that games on Epic are easily hacked, as I have a copy of that Untitled Goose Game to see if I'd even like it. (So far, I find the mouse controlls too clumsy.)

Last edited by BigT; 10-05-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I've played two Rockstar games on the PC (Bully and LA Noire), and they were two of the worst ports I've ever played. They took very little advantage of mouse/keyboard setup. Unless I hear that they're doing better with RDR2, I probably won't try this one out.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
The delay for Steam is weird. Does it mean that Epic made an agreement that only restricts putting the game on Steam? That seems bizarre. As is a 1 month exclusivity window.
Epic have nothing to do with it. Rockstar released their own game launcher with all of five games on it last month and I expect they would rather have people buy the game through that than pay the 30% Steam fee.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I've played two Rockstar games on the PC (Bully and LA Noire), and they were two of the worst ports I've ever played. They took very little advantage of mouse/keyboard setup. Unless I hear that they're doing better with RDR2, I probably won't try this one out.
I played GTA: San Andreas on PC and it was fine. The two you played I only played on Xbox.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
The worst was the Games for Windows settings in Fallout 3, where they literally ported over the controller settings and didn't bother changing the graphics, so the A key on your keyboard was confirm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I played GTA: San Andreas on PC and it was fine. The two you played I only played on Xbox.
I only played it on PS2, but I remember hearing the airplane controls were pretty awful, and that part comes in after you've invested many hours.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

People should really get a gamepad for their PC. You can get an xbox 360 or a knockoff type controller for $20. Almost every multiplatform game in the last 10 years works seamlessly, usually you can even change between KB/M and gamepads on the fly when appropriate. Like if I'm playing a game like GTA 5, I'll do shooting with KB/M and driving with an xbox controller.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:31 AM

I have a couple game controllers for my PC. Problem is, I use them so infrequently that they always feel clunky and awkward and I never remember where the buttons are or which does which. For the number of things I have to play, I'm more likely to just move on than to try and develop the muscle memory to play competently on the controller if KB/M isn't an adequate option.

I managed fine in GTAV though so I'm not too worried about this title.

Plus I was so unimpressed with GTAV that this game is on the "Wait until it's cheap" list

Last edited by Jophiel; 10-07-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
I only played it on PS2, but I remember hearing the airplane controls were pretty awful, and that part comes in after you've invested many hours.
The airplane wasn’t too bad. Especially since most of the time I didn’t land them, just bailed out with my parachute and let it crash, because that’s what you do in GTA.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The game is now available for pre-purchase with the Rockstar launcher.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:42 AM

Just FYI, you can use PayPal to pre-order the game through the Rockstar launcher.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:47 AM

But if I want to order the game prior to release could I do so through the Rockstar launcher?
Old 10-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
But if I want to order the game prior to release could I do so through the Rockstar launcher?
It's not real clear, but the best I can figure out;
Yes, and if you do it from the launcher before the 22nd you get the most 'extras' .After Oct 22nd you can order from Epic for lesser extras. Then sometime in December it will come to steam with presumably no preorder(or as they more accurately call it, pre-purchase) extras.

I did order through the launcher already, personally.

Last edited by wolfman; 10-10-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I did order through the launcher already, personally.
Same here. I can't see other vendors being able to beat the free upgrade to the Special Edition and two free games. It's super weird that they don't sell GTA IV though, what in the world is up with that?
Old 10-30-2019, 03:51 PM

It's preload-able now. 110GB so clear some space folks.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I hope I can finish The Outer Worlds before this is playable....
Old 10-30-2019, 04:54 PM

Yeah after a crappy year, there is a lot of good stuff I'm interested in coming out in quick succession at the end of this year, Fallen Order, MechWarrior 5 also for example, all before Cyberpunk early next year(although I'm only now starting to accept that it will really come out in Spring without a postponement).
Old 11-05-2019, 07:48 AM

Well game is supposed to launch in 20 minutes.
I, of course, will be working all day like a responsible person, not playing silly games.
But, wait, it is election day, as a civic minded citizen I will certainly do everything possible make sure I make it to the polling station, Not wanting to risk any possibility of something going wrong today, it only makes sense to vote before I go to work.
Although, my work is fairly lenient about letting me show up late. Many people have much more time sensitive jobs, and may be double shifting today, leaving first thing in the morning as the only available time. I would be potentially disenfranchising someone I was the one who made the line just barely too long for them to be able vote. Giving those folks a couple hours seems almost like a moral responsibility now that I think about it.
I am such a good person.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Start the game now. There is some 'decryption' of the files that needs to be done and it will take a while.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:58 AM

Already past that, It's done, but won't run, it errors out

Downloading and installing new GPU driver now.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Epic have nothing to do with it. Rockstar released their own game launcher with all of five games on it last month and I expect they would rather have people buy the game through that than pay the 30% Steam fee.
If it was just about encouraging people to use Rockstar's game launcher, then I'd expect that all other platforms would get the game earlier. I wouldn't have said anything if that were the case.

What I find weird is that only Steam has to wait until December, while all other platforms are launching the game in November.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Already past that, It's done, but won't run, it errors out

Downloading and installing new GPU driver now.
That only got me farther before another crash. In order to actually get it to run I had to turn off Avast.

I hope the sort this out fast, no AV scares me too much.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
What I find weird is that only Steam has to wait until December, while all other platforms are launching the game in November.
It is strictly about the money. The initial rush of buyers have gotten it from Rockstar so they get 100% of that money. Steam, which has the largest install base, takes the largest cut so it makes sense for them to get it last.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

So, I just read that some people have been having some issues with RDR2 on PC. It seems that the best fixes involve updating video drivers and switching from Vulkan to DirectX 12.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

I had read hundreds of complaints about people having trouble just getting the game to launch, so I had low expectations last night starting the game.

The only change I made, having been pre-warned, is setting 3 EXEs to be "run as Administrator", and I had no issues. I was already running Windows build 1903, but I did not update my nVidia drivers, BIOS, or anything else.

Game ran fine, no stuttering or graphical problems (i7, RTX 2060). Before playing, I did turn off vSync, and changed textures from Ultra to High, so maybe that warded off some problems. I played for ~2 hours (2 full missions, plus miscellaneous wandering around).

I found the keybinds perplexing (I still don't know when to press R, or TAB, or some other key). I will try using my xBox controller tonight to see if it feels more intuitive.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:58 AM

I am using an Xbox controller. It's still fairly non intuitive. My biggest issue is that when I am in town, and jump on my horse, I immediately 'step on the gas"(right trigger) to go forward, which actually pulls my gun and shoots someone in the face. So I have to load from a save, and redo a bunch of crap.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I immediately 'step on the gas"(right trigger) to go forward, which actually pulls my gun and shoots someone in the face.
Pardon my laugh, but I can easily see myself doing that. In pretty much every game with a vehicle, right trigger is accelerate and left is decelerate/brake, so it becomes second nature.

I did use the controller last night, and went into Online mode so I'd get a fresh set of hints/tips when using the controller. It did feel more intuitive for me, although far from perfect (how do you holster a weapon?).
Old 11-07-2019, 01:32 PM

I recently got this game on Xbox One. It’s gorgeous in 4K. I love the attention to detail both visually and with gameplay. It’s a great “Wild West Movie” simulator.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Loving it!

However, I am constantly being disconnected from the server when playing online. I've tried port forwarding and turning off cloud saves, neither has helped. If I'm lucky I can get 15-20 minutes of game time before disconnect. Unlucky, maybe 5.

Anybody playing online and had similar issues?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I have only played online for perhaps two hours tops; no disconnects or other problems. I made no infrastructure changes; AT&T Gigabit.

Rockstar is pretty aggressively patching the game (one every day or two), so hopefully things will improve for you.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:09 PM

I only tried Online the very first day of release, just to see if it was going to work for me. I got a couple hours in without a problem. Since then I have tried to get on once or twice but didn't get on at all after 10+ minutes and went back to Arthur.

Last edited by wolfman; 11-11-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
It is strictly about the money. The initial rush of buyers have gotten it from Rockstar so they get 100% of that money. Steam, which has the largest install base, takes the largest cut so it makes sense for them to get it last.
Any idea what kind of cut Steam tends to get?

We can hope that its December release will be combined with a Christmas sale.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Any idea what kind of cut Steam tends to get?
About 30% for the first 10 million in sales, then 25% until the 50 million mark, and 20% after that. This is the new pricing structure as of last year - prior to that it was a flat life-time 30%, with some exceptions made for small studios.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:53 PM

I imagine that now that Steam has more competition they lowered their cut to entice developers away from other platforms.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:28 PM

A heads-up for those that might need it: If you think you might want something other than the standard edition of the game, front the money for it. There are no upgrades possible to go to a higher tier after purchase. Much to my chagrin.

My constant disconnects seem to have died down a bit- though last night I couldn't get my camp pitched, for some reason. I just switched over and played some more story mode instead, figured I'd try again today.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
A heads-up for those that might need it: If you think you might want something other than the standard edition of the game, front the money for it. There are no upgrades possible to go to a higher tier after purchase. Much to my chagrin.
How odd. Usually on Steam they'd sell a "Season Pass," maybe it will come later?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post

My constant disconnects seem to have died down a bit- though last night I couldn't get my camp pitched, for some reason. I just switched over and played some more story mode instead, figured I'd try again today.
What are the most important differences between the versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
About 30% for the first 10 million in sales, then 25% until the 50 million mark, and 20% after that. This is the new pricing structure as of last year - prior to that it was a flat life-time 30%, with some exceptions made for small studios.
Thanks.

So, Steam went from being friendlier to small studios to being friendlier to big studios? Have they been making other moves in the same direction? I guess they want to lower the inventive big studios might have to launch their own digital distribution services like EA did.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 11-12-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
How odd. Usually on Steam they'd sell a "Season Pass," maybe it will come later?
Well I don't think there is anyway to guess how this game will go medium or even long term. It is no secret the mind-blowing success of GTA online was a surprise to everyone, and ripped the shit out of the whole AAA game industry. Even Rockstar isn't clear how it happened once, but are determined to do everything they can to try to make it happen it again, ie. try to figure out some way to make RDR Online into something they can manage to get a billion dollars a year for half a decade, with minimal development effort.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
So, Steam went from being friendlier to small studios to being friendlier to big studios? Have they been making other moves in the same direction? I guess they want to lower the inventive big studios might have to launch their own digital distribution services like EA did.
I think all the Big ones have their own now. EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Blizzard, and now Rockstar.

Speaking of runaway successes, above, Steam was such a game changer and money farm for Valve, they see their can't miss IPs like Half-life 3 and Portal 3, like a millionaire looking at a 100$ bill that landed on his shoe, and deciding it isn't worth the effort of bending over for.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Speaking of runaway successes, above, Steam was such a game changer and money farm for Valve, they see their can't miss IPs like Half-life 3 and Portal 3, like a millionaire looking at a 100$ bill that landed on his shoe, and deciding it isn't worth the effort of bending over for.
Half-Life 3 will probably never be made. Portal 3 is possible but unlikely. Marc Laidlaw's leaving in January of 2017 pretty much was the death knell of that universe, since he was the guy that wrote most of the story for it. Laidlaw has even revealed some of the plot that they were going to take the games in, and Valve didn't even blink at the reveal.

Here's a pretty good article from a year ago that gives the current state of that universe. It seems to be as up-to-date as anything. The fact that it's a year ago lend even more credence to the idea that HL is dead. (Granted, I didn't search all that hard, so there's possibly something newer.)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-3...y-gameplay-art