Old 08-30-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Because many teams, rightly I think, think their #3 QB is developmental and unable to properly run an NFL offense successfully. Throwing a unprepared, still shitty QB into a starting role instead of a more prepared, likely less shitty QB, will not only lose you games, it could greatly hurt a rookie QB's development, lose the rest of the players on the team, and cost the coach a job. That doesn't help anyone.
That makes more sense, I should have thought of that.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
LOL, except in his situation he was a 1st rounder and being a Brown, expected to play from the get go.
True, and if he was drafted to a team that had a starter and was allowed to develop slowly Iím not convinced he wouldnít have self-destructed anyway. So I probably picked a bad example.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
It's worth noting that #3 QBs don't count against the gameday actives but they can still serve in an emergency capacity if the first two go down.
This is no longer true. The rule was abolished in 2011.

I expect the Bears this year to carry 2 QBs.

Trubisky is QB1, the current and future of the franchise.
Daniels is QB2, the well paid, high-end backup that prevents the franchise from regressing should Biscuit get hurt.
Bray is QB3, and I think he's likely to be cut and will be on speed dial if there's an injury. He's not PS eligible AFAIK.
QB TBD is PS QB, they will probably grab a guy off another team's cut list to add as a PS QB to run the scout team and save the other guy's arms in practice. He's unlikely to be a real "developmental" guy, more of a warm body who can run a good scout look.

Now, the Bears could keep Bray on the active roster as an emergency/scout team QB and this is a possibility considering his history with Nagy's offense, but I don't think the Bears have the roster space for him with the extra RBs and TEs we seem to like, guys like Davis, Mizzell, Nall and Braunecker. We'll see.

If Trubisky were an older player and they were looking to the future, they'd definitely have a rookie or 2nd year QB in that QB3 spot and they'd probably be protecting him by keeping him on the roster. This is what the Patriots are doing with Etling and what the Saints are likely to do with Barrett (unless they want to gamble and sneak him onto the PS.)

Last edited by Omniscient; 08-30-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:49 AM

Cut down day. NFL teams need to go from 90 to 53 man rosters by 3:00 today. Worst day of the year.

Some notes so far:

Texans give up on Braxton Miller. They also cut one of the greatest punters of all time Shane Lechler.

Panthers win the award for cutting the most players with cool names by cutting Qunterrious Eatmon, Bug Howard, and Tracy Sprinkle.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Apparently the Raiders are trading Khalil Mack to the Bears.

Not good.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Not good.
Damn. Somehow I was hoping the Bengals would get him. They already have a nasty d-line with Atkins, Dunlap and the return of Andrew Billings (seriously NFL, watch out for this guy if he stays healthy) and the likes of Lawson prowling the perimeter.

Adding Mack would have made them the nastiest.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:07 AM

Congrats, Omniscient!

It'll be tough for the Bears, though, to find a QB of the future without those first rounders.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
This is no longer true. The rule was abolished in 2011.

I expect the Bears this year to carry 2 QBs.

Trubisky is QB1, the current and future of the franchise.
Daniels is QB2, the well paid, high-end backup that prevents the franchise from regressing should Biscuit get hurt.
Bray is QB3, and I think he's likely to be cut and will be on speed dial if there's an injury. He's not PS eligible AFAIK.
QB TBD is PS QB, they will probably grab a guy off another team's cut list to add as a PS QB to run the scout team and save the other guy's arms in practice. He's unlikely to be a real "developmental" guy, more of a warm body who can run a good scout look.

Now, the Bears could keep Bray on the active roster as an emergency/scout team QB and this is a possibility considering his history with Nagy's offense, but I don't think the Bears have the roster space for him with the extra RBs and TEs we seem to like, guys like Davis, Mizzell, Nall and Braunecker. We'll see.

If Trubisky were an older player and they were looking to the future, they'd definitely have a rookie or 2nd year QB in that QB3 spot and they'd probably be protecting him by keeping him on the roster. This is what the Patriots are doing with Etling and what the Saints are likely to do with Barrett (unless they want to gamble and sneak him onto the PS.)
Saints QBs are almost certainly Brees and then Bridgewater as 1 and 2, with Taysom Hill as 3, who also plays special teams because he's such a good athlete. Barrett will be PS at best.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Not good.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Not gonna lie, I think this might upset me more than them moving to Las Vegas.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Not gonna lie, I think this might upset me more than them moving to Las Vegas.
On the plus side, you got Gruden and you just signed AJ McCarron, your QB of the future (because he's better than Andy Dalton), from Buffalo.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Martavis Bryant is released and about to be suspended again. I assume he’s been up to his old habits.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ing-suspension
Old 09-03-2018, 06:50 PM

Did Gruden dump Mack because he could never learn the Spider Y 2 Banana?

Anyway, I think Gruden got rid of 7 or 8 other recent drafts from the last regime, so he's establishing his team now. Crazy that the Raiders can spend that much on a coach but not a once-a-generation talent like Mack. I didn't even think it would be possible that the Bears would get him but I like that he's in Chicago now. He'll set the tone for the defense, improve the rest of the D around him, and take some pressure of Trubisky and the offense. Trubisky just has to be pretty good now and not lights out for the Bears to win games.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Crazy that the Raiders can spend that much on a coach but not a once-a-generation talent like Mack.
Coaches arenít subject to salary caps.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Crazy that the Raiders can spend that much on a coach but not a once-a-generation talent like Mack.
Don't take this the wrong way, because I love Khalil Mack. He's an awesome player who is damn fun to watch, and is clearly a top 6 defensive player. But he's not a "once a generation" talent. When your generation includes Von Miller, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, and up and comers like Myles Jarrett or Jalen Ramsey, You're not "once a generation".
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG
I didn't even think it would be possible that the Bears would get him but I like that he's in Chicago now. He'll set the tone for the defense, improve the rest of the D around him, and take some pressure of Trubisky and the offense.
He better. Because the Bears salary cap and trading of draft picks have put a ton of pressure on him to live up to it.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Coaches arenít subject to salary caps.
I am aware of that. My point was that the organization has a lot of cash to throw at a coach who hasn't coached in a decade but not enough cash to hang onto their elite players. I'm not certain what their cap space looks like at this point though so I can't comment further in that regard.

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, because I love Khalil Mack. He's an awesome player who is damn fun to watch, and is clearly a top 6 defensive player. But he's not a "once a generation" talent. When your generation includes Von Miller, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, and up and comers like Myles Jarrett or Jalen Ramsey, You're not "once a generation". He better. Because the Bears salary cap and trading of draft picks have put a ton of pressure on him to live up to it.
Point taken. Perhaps "once a generation" was a bit of hyperbole but a great, awesome, handsome guy like me is occasionally prone to hyperbole.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, because I love Khalil Mack. He's an awesome player who is damn fun to watch, and is clearly a top 6 defensive player. But he's not a "once a generation" talent. When your generation includes Von Miller, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, and up and comers like Myles Jarrett or Jalen Ramsey, You're not "once a generation".
And Geno Atkins. Everyone always forgets him.