Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Now see, this is a valuable, critically thought out post that deserves an honest, equally thoughtful response. And surprise! I actually agree with the bulk of what you're saying here. But the board mentality/behavior you outline here is not confined to situations which present racial anxiety or discomfort to the board. I have experienced the same thing myself at times over my years here when I've discussed disability-related subjects.

The strategies at marginalizing the messenger in order to discount the message are not unique to subjects involving racism. They are used whenever an uncomfortable thus unpopular issue is voiced and the majority doesn't want to confront the issue head-on by being introspective and acknowledging the possibility of their own complicity in the raised issue.

Of course I'm not suggesting that most posters here are racists and ableists. But i am saying that it is quite difficult to overcome the ingrained in-group fueled "bubble" that this board is ensconced in. Even when approaching the conversation in a decidely non-confrontational manner. So when your valid arguments are camouflaged by an arsenal of intentionally provocative and offensive tactics, you do the work of marginalizing yourself as the messenger for them! Trust me, I've been there! Give an inch and a mile will be taken.

It shouldn't have to be like this but that's the psychology of humans who congregate together with others similar to themselves and get confronted by an outsider criticizing them. So I learned, at least, that I needed to address my own M.O. if I really wanted to be able to effectively communicate to as many people as were open to such communication (however small or large that group may be). I needed to check my emotions at the door.

None of this is to say I dont have deep sympathy for your complaints. But venting and communicating are often at odds with each other. Which are you interested in engaging in? Honestly, I think I have that figured out and you go and post something like this. It seems like such a waste! It's like pissing in the wind. If you are interested in communicating then stick to communication. Likewise, if you want to vent, stick to venting. Doing both together only confuses things and sacrifices the effectiveness of either.

And I can already predict how my post will be regarded by a certain faction here. "Tone-policing!!" "Condescension!!" "Lecturing!" "Focusing on the poster not the post!" None of that would be true tho. Im just recognizing a pattern that ive seen before and sharing my take and response to it.
Yeah, a large majority of the most vocal posters aren't actually intellectually honest around here. It's actually sad.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Now see, this is a valuable, critically thought out post that deserves an honest, equally thoughtful response. ...
Okay, now I get the "articulate" thing.
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Can we just go back to hating white people?
That depends -- are they from Philadelphia?
Old Today, 09:31 AM

A sheriff was caught on tape making racist remarks.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...ign/ar-AAApBrr

Quote:
“At this time I would like to offer my sincere apology to the people of Bergen County for the insensitive recorded remarks that were made public today,” he said in a statement. “These remarks are not representative of the person that I am, and they are in no way consistent with the manner in which I have conducted my life personally and as a law enforcement professional."
"I am truly very sorry I got caught. You guys weren't supposed to hear this."

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
Okay, now I get the "articulate" thing.
I'm sorry? But are you suggesting that I was making some sort of racially tinged comment?
Old Today, 10:45 AM

God, no.
Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post

Maybe he was on Ambien?
Old Today, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post

That's exactly it. Racism isnt any less alive and virulent today than it was in the days of Jim Crow, it's just more carefully expressed, shared only in the comforting company of like-minded people (or only when thought to be in such company). To me, it's more insidious and potentially destructive now, since its not out in the open for the world to see.
Old Today, 12:26 PM

Quote:
That's exactly it. Racism isnt any less alive and virulent today than it was in the days of Jim Crow....
I am not much for wading into the BBQ pit....but really?

You think racism is just as alive as it was in the days of Jim Crow? I would say hyperbole is not conductive to rational discussions.

I am not saying there are no racist in the US. There are. Tens of millions of them. But to compare that to the days of Jim Crow is disingenuous.

Last edited by Hermitian; Today at 12:26 PM.
Old Today, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I am not much for wading into the BBQ pit....but really?

You think racism is just as alive as it was in the days of Jim Crow? I would say hyperbole is not conductive to rational discussions.

I am not saying there are no racist in the US. There are. Tens of millions of them. But to compare that to the days of Jim Crow is disingenuous.
I didnt mean to suggest that it was as violent or as outwardly expressed as a part of society as it was in Jim Crow era. Progress has been made. But I don't believe it's been as monumental as many would like to believe. The racism that was worn on the sleeves of racists became racism worn as the necklace tucked under the shirt of the racists. I did overextend myself a bit with my original remark. I was trying to compare aspects of both states of racism as being comparable, not the entire states themselves. And yes, I do think racism is as alive today as it was in the Jim Crow era. It has simply evolved with a changing culture, along with everything else. Segregation, for example, still alive, it is just cloaked in plausible deniability today.