Old 09-21-2018, 05:34 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

It's been such a weird week of sleeping/not sleeping. I keep waking from dreams thinking I'm late for something, then I look at the clock and it's 1 or 2 in the AM. Truly weird...

But it's Firday, and my car is full of gas, so there's that. Traffic was really light - I'm guessing it's the Firday of CWS/AWS where most folks are off. So even with the gas stop, I got to work pretty close to my usual time.

More work has come thru - Yay! I'm good at least for early next week. Other than that, just another day in paradise.

Happy Firday!!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Up, caffeinated, and shveled. Off to work. Hockey after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmaChameleon View Post
Awakened a bit ago. The Weather Underground says "Rain ending at 0645." Huh? It doesn't look like rain at my place. I suppose I could cook something for breakfast, but the various meats I have on hand don't smell particularly good, so I'm contemplating waiting six or seven hours and going to one of my favorite "meat and three" places. Chicken and dressing, field peas with snaps, and spinach or other greens seem to be the right kind of thing today, with some good cornbread, of course. I would then expect napping later in the day. It's not like I have anything much to do.

Happy Friday to all.
I like a good meat and three.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:40 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Aaaaaaaand the server is down. I can't work. Brent needs his drawing on Moanday. Will I have to come in tomorrow? We shall see...

Dammit.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:10 AM

The cold is spreading outwards... it's not so much in my nose as it is in my chest and ears... Oh, well. The office just seems particularly quiet today.

A cold front came through last night, and now we're onto chilly weather for the rest of the year (well, that's my guess). We're looking at highs in the 60s for the foreseeable future. Good thing the new furnace comes a week from today!

FCM, did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:16 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Juliet - you mean kicking the CPU and cussing isn't the proper reset procedure???

Apparently, there was a power burp in the part of town where the server lives. I have no idea what's going on, tho you'd think a server farm would have a UPS or two. Whatever. At least I have internet to keep me awake.

Oh, and company email and website are dead also.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 AM

Happy Firday!

Looks like it might rain, and rain is predicted from this evening through at least Wednesday.

Weird dreams last night, feeling a bit blurfy.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Cleveland football? You mean the city/team that BudLight has prepositioned Victory Fridges - beer coolers that they'll remotely unlock so the inmates citizens can celebrate if the football team somehow happens to win a game? That Cleveland Browns football team?
Well they got it now!!!!!!!

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/20/1...rate-cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
I was at the bar with some of my French-speaking friends after a rehearsal yesterday night. Everyone else ordered one drink each, but I ordered two. So I said, "Double-fisting!" I wasn't expecting the reaction I got - a few friends looked a bit shocked, and everyone was laughing hysterically! I said, "What? In English, when someone has two drinks at once, we call that double-fisting..." Evidently, my friends were thinking of a much dirtier meaning for the term. Maybe French speakers aren't as aware of the English meaning.
Well, spending a lot of time with Separatists and other hard-core French-Canadians ------ they are aware but much like me always prefer to "hear" the dirty meaning. Sort of like in the Tom Lehrer song
When correctly viewed
Everything is lewd
I could tell you stories about Peter Pan
And the Wizard of Oz -- there's a dirty old man.
They also enjoy laughing and farting a lot; think Terrance and Phillip from South Park but in French.

Last edited by kopek; 09-21-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 AM

Midget, maybe it's because I'm from Wisconsin, where we probably drink more than we have sex, but when I hear "double fisting," my brain goes to having a drink in both hands first, then the dirty meaning. I'm with you.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM

Juliet, that reminded me of an Old Irish joke: If an Irishman has a pint of Guinness in his left hand and another pint of Guinness in his right hand, what does he call it?

SPOILER:
A well-balanced meal

FCM, sounds like your weird week is coming to a suitably odd ending. Hope you don't have to work Saturday.

Up by 6:30 and just as well I was, the painters were here by 7am and they picked up the big trash container from my driveway (because nothing says remodeling like a 20 ft. long container full of junk), so maybe I can even park in my garage tonight.

Youht soccer starts at 7:30am tomorrow and looks like I'll be busy with it until 3pm--on another 90F day. Ugh. May have to water the front yard to bring the rain gods by to spite me by raining after I water--seems to work as well as anything.

Best eat something and take a look at the work, just to say I have.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 09-21-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:41 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

The servers came back just before 10, and I got so wrapped up, I worked 30 minutes into my normal lunch break! That is being corrected right now, tho.

Hope the afternoon goes as fast as the morning. I'm ready to be outta here!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:45 AM

Busy morning.

Dog is making me crazy.

My cat, whom I'm sure loves me a great deal and is always affectionate with me, has never given me a single head butt. Not once, not ever.
Ripple was standing on the deck and Adam walks right over to him and gives him a head butt.

What kind of puppy Sunny?

My son is going to have fun I think. In his business class everybody has to team up for a group assignment. The professor told them to team up but if anybody was having trouble to let him know and he would assign teams. My son, being so shy, emailed the professor and asked him to assign him to a team. Instead his professor set up a message board for the teams to form.
My son got an email for a classmate asking it he would like to team up. I like the guy, he is from Africa, Ghana I think, and his posts are really interesting. (yes I read the class message boards, they are usually pretty interesting) My son agreed and the guy sends back, okay what do we have to do and when is it due? Does nobody read the syllabus anymore? Another guy joined the group, and I have a feeling my son is going to be the group leader. That is going to be a challenge for him I think, but I also think it will be good for him. It could be fun, or it could be a disaster.

Congrats on being almost done with the remodeling MetalMouse. I dread the thought of having to do that, but I have a long way to go before I have to think about it. Except for a new bathtub, I really want one. There are other more prssig things that need to be done around here though.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:08 PM

I woke at 2ish am and was awake for an hour or more. I guess I went to bed too early.

I have to go to a retirement celebration this afternoon for the outgoing director. I don't want to go but must at least show up for a half hour or something. There will be so many people there they won't miss me but I have to at least show up.

Tis been raining this morning with more rain expected this weekend. That means I shall probably be slow at irk tomorrow. I have a new hire starting next week and eventually I hope to be able to have my regular weekends back. It will take months to train her though.

Happy Firday all! and happy Weekend!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM

It's a Japanese Akita Sari. I've paid a deposit, but I have to figure out how to get it from Florida to here.

Videos/pic
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133093...posted-public/

Tomorrow we leave Oregon.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:54 PM

Cute puppy Sunny. Where is Florida is it?
Old 09-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Ok, this is a first--my quack called to inform me that my A1C was below 7 for the first time.

Since he's been my quack since the turn of the century, he was doing the Snoopy dance over the phone.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:15 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Pizza for supper, because FCD wanted it. That is, he's having pizza. I'm having mushroom calzone. The kids are on their own because SIL doesn't like the pizza we get. Too bad so sad.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny daze View Post
it's a japanese akita sari. I've paid a deposit, but i have to figure out how to get it from florida to here.

Videos/pic

tomorrow we leave oregon.
squeeeeeee!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:31 PM

I hear Debussy wrote a piece of music about my roommate. It's called Afternoon On The Phone.

My roommate came back. I was tired this afternoon, as usual. I did get a short window of time when my roommate actually stopped talking on the phone, but was woken up a bit later by more phone talking. I dunno, maybe talking on the phone a lot is a thing normal people do, and a thing that other normal people don't get annoyed by. I know, I'm weird.

I think I need to go get dinner, and/or go get groceries. I also need to talk to my roommate, but she's been unreachable for the whole day.

Arrrgh.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! We have ingested majik intartoobz pizza and sallit, cause sallit makes it healthy. I did some errands this mornin', then had some quality cee-mint pond time. If'n September must act like August, then use the cee-mint pond I shall.

Sunny keeeyoote puppeh!

Butters yet another thing on the why I like bein' retired list is no more mandatory social functions. Hated those!

Midget I am prone to tell my phone to shut up when it rings.

ETA: Alien yay for low A1C!

Last edited by swampbear; 09-21-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:14 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
...I'm having mushroom calzone...

Store bought, delivered or home made?
Old 09-21-2018, 05:15 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

delivered... and ingested. Yum!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:22 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
delivered... and ingested. Yum!
I wonder if that is the origin of Hot Pockets.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
I hear Debussy wrote a piece of music about my roommate. It's called Afternoon On The Phone.

My roommate came back. I was tired this afternoon, as usual. I did get a short window of time when my roommate actually stopped talking on the phone, but was woken up a bit later by more phone talking. I dunno, maybe talking on the phone a lot is a thing normal people do, and a thing that other normal people don't get annoyed by. I know, I'm weird.

I think I need to go get dinner, and/or go get groceries. I also need to talk to my roommate, but she's been unreachable for the whole day.

Arrrgh.
Duh, why don't you call her.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Duh, why don't you call her.

Haha, well, if I didn't get the chance to talk to her, I was going to send her a message asking if we could talk. But since this afternoon, we did get to talk, so that's good.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:29 PM

Yay for the light at the end of the tunnel metal mouse!

Too bad about FCG's photo Mooooom.

george, that sounds like a good lunch to me.

sunny, that's one cute pupper! Do you have a name picked out yet?

WTG Alien! Once you have your A1C down, it's easier to maintain, likely because you've made some lifestyle changes that worked.

I actually irked to 1530 today. As soon as I got in the car, it began to sprinkle. By the time I got through the two school zones that I have to endure when I get off a little early, we were getting a downpour. It stopped about the time I got to Aldi and didn't begin again until I got into the car. It rained about 2/3 of the way home and stopped long enough for me to unload and walk the dog. Luck seems to be with me today.

Last edited by missred; 09-21-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to have fun the first weekend in October!

My sister and I have for some time intended on taking a two day trip October 5-6. We are going to south central Kansas for two things, birding at a wildlife refuge and a visit to the town of Stafford Kansas for their Oktoberfest Weiner Dog races!

Today we planned the trip and when I mentioned I'd board my dog( a weiner dog) with the vet my sister was surprised. She said she'd figured I meant to bring him along. I'd assumed she wouldn't want to bother with my own dog but she thought it would be fun. I could even enter him in the races!

So I guess I'm going to see how well Mauser travels. It will be like traveling with a child. It's not a long trip. from an early start on Friday to returning late on Saturday, but if you've ever traveled with a dog and have pointers I'd appreciate hearing about them.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:17 PM

Puppy's name is Akiko, which means Autumn, or Sparkle, depending on which characters you use to write it.

Puppy is in Middleburg. He said he could bring it to either Orlando or some place else that has an airport which escapes my mind at the moment. Orlando has lots of flights, being Orlando. I'm hoping to find an option where I can catch an early flight, meet him, and then fly straight back. So far, I'm not finding enough time in between the arriving flight and the departing flight. Puppy at the end though.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:03 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I used to live in Middleburg - It's just a bit south of Jacksonville. Seems odd he'd go all the way to Orlando for a flight.

Yes, I'm up stupid early. Hoping to fall back to sleep...
Old 09-22-2018, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 72 Amurrkin out and clear (well, dark) with a predicted high of 95 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. Again, August in September. As memory serves, today is also the first day of Fall. Rah. We shall have quality cee-mint pond time with JDD and Partner. We shall sup upon hot dawgs, slaw, and baked beans. The beans have been taken out of da freezer to thaw and I made the slaw last night. Beans just need to be really heated up in the oven and dawgs grilled. Easy-Peasey! YAY! Anywho, that's the big plan of the day.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day!

Happy Sattidy Y'all!
Old 09-22-2018, 06:53 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
It's a Japanese Akita Sari. I've paid a deposit, but I have to figure out how to get it from Florida to here.
My one cousin (Meggie and her husband Walter the Pollock) has had several Akita rescues in a row; lovely dogs!

Other than that I am awake and ready for a weekend of adulthood.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM

Happy Saturday!

I feel like hell. I woke too early, around 3:30, couldn't get back to sleep until around 5. The only reason I am up now is because Ripple decided I needed to be up.

The sun is shining though, and it's cool and breezy outside.
Once I wake up all the way I'll open the windows and turn off the AC.

Cute puppy Sunny!

Congrats Alien!
Old 09-22-2018, 08:58 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I woke from a stupid dream around 3 and my bladder forced me out of bed. I futzed around on my tablet till 4:30 or 5, then fell back to sleep and had another stupid dream till FCD got out of the shower at 7. Then I donned my dirty clothes from yesterday and mowed the lawn - it's been 3 weeks, so it was bad. Still, it only took a couple of hours to do it all. Then I showered and dressed and I just finished breakfast - and it's not quite 10. Go me!

Happy Saturday!!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:16 AM

I haven't done shit yet today.

Popcorn for breakfast, not a good choice but quick and easy. Something on my stomach so I can take my pills. Ripple is being naughty, I think because he wants a real breakfast. Like eggs, or a piece of ham. Ugh, I don't feel like eating.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:23 AM

baker, the weenie dog races sound like fun! As far as travel with Mauser, if he's comfortable riding in a car, you're one step ahead. When Nelson rides, I tether him (that was a really important thing when we were in the accident) with an aluminum clip attatched to the oh shit bar and just hook his leash to it. Even if you just brake really hard unexpectedly, a small dog can go flying. In the case of an accident, they can also survive the accident itself but get injured or killed when they bolt into traffic after because they're scared. A bed nest to the window where he's tethered means that he can curl up whenever he wants. At the hotel, make sure that you hang the do not disturb sign whenever you leave him alone there if he's not crated. That way housekeeping doesn't accidently let him out. Other than that, the usual food, water for the car trip, bowls, poo bags and a lovey or toy if he likes them are good to pack. If he doesn't wear his tags, copies of his vaccination records (on a phone works) should be carried. That's all I have. Nelson has been travelling by car since he was three months old and is cool with it.

Up, caffeinating, breakfasted, puppy crate cleaned, towels in the wash and getting ready to go get the rest of the groceries. If it doesn't rain, we'll go to the dog park.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:46 AM

I set my radio alarm to wake up early. I forgot to turn the radio volume on. Got up way too late. Oh well, got caught up on sleep I guess.

Not sure how my plans will go today with all this lost time. Argh.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
When Nelson rides, I tether him (that was a really important thing when we were in the accident) with an aluminum clip attatched to the oh shit bar and just hook his leash to it. Even if you just brake really hard unexpectedly, a small dog can go flying.
OBL had something like this; it's basically a harness w/ a big loop on the back & the seatbelt goes thru the loop. Even if you just stop short it keeps them from flying into the back of the seat in front of them & getting injured when you aren't in an accident.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:15 PM

I had a horrible night of sleep. It was at least 3am before I ever went to sleep then it was just a twilight sleep the rest of the time. I had to irk a half day and am just home from that. I foresee a nap later and an early bedtime with drugs. I am off until Tuesday so there is that.

Tis rainy and very cloudy so a good day for a nap.

I am so burned out. I don’t know if I can keep going at this pace. I need a break. I may have to be sick for a few days. Which will in turn cause me to be sick. Am ready to sell this house and move somewhere that has a cheaper cost of living. Paradise is not paradise if one must irk all the time. . Maybe I will feel better after some decent sleep.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:10 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Laundry is done, groceries have been procured, and I'm having a very left-over egg roll - I think it's from Tuesday. But I haven't had lunch and I's hongree!!!

One of my sisters is coming over tomorrow to see RoxStar - I'll probably run the vacuum just because. Other than that, not much going on. FCD is teaching our daughter how to program the mill and make parts. They've been in the shop most of the day. She's learning the stuff that SIL said he wanted to learn, but he never showed any interest.

Not gonna say any more on that subject...
Old 09-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Cute Pupper Sunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
So I guess I'm going to see how well Mauser travels. It will be like traveling with a child. It's not a long trip. from an early start on Friday to returning late on Saturday, but if you've ever traveled with a dog and have pointers I'd appreciate hearing about them.
You might try taking him on little short trips around town (an hour or so) to see how he does.
Have fun at Oktoberfest! Soroptimists just had a mini-oktoberfest here, complete with weiner dog races, which we forgot about and missed. but we got to see video 'cause one of our friends entered her sweet little doxie. (She didn't win.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
My one cousin (Meggie and her husband Walter the Pollock) has had several Akita rescues in a row; lovely dogs!
Walters a fish!?

I only got 4 hours of sleep thorsday night and we stayed up late last night watching the Late Show. I wanted to see Neil deGrasse Tyson and Wifey wanted to see Hillary. I'm just barely awake now.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:37 PM

Wishing for better sleep tonight for those who need it.

I fell asleep this afternoon while my roommate was giving a voice lesson (to someone else, not me )

I still need to get some groceries, unless I want to live off bread for the next while.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:10 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I got a lot of Roxy time this afternoon because her daddy wanted a nap - after all, he'd been up a whole hour...

I finished another scarf for donation, and I've got enough of the same yarn for another one, so that's for after supper chillage.

All in all, a pretty good day.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:24 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbazine View Post

Walters a fish!?
No -- just a little fishy. But I am a bad typist when I first wake up. Clearly.

Did a funeral today; brother of a friend for ages. It was actually more a celebration than a funeral in a lot of ways. He was a good man who lived though ages of pain and now all of that is gone. So all in all I can say that God is good and mean it without reservation.

May go visit Penns Colony tomorrow. It will be the first time in 30 years I've bought a ticket to walk in (I was always a participant before) but it will be really cool to play touron (what we call tourists) for a change.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:43 PM

spidey, I've seen those at PetSmart and Chewy. Whatever it takes to keep your pupper contained, comfy and safe.

We didn't make the dog park today (thanks Florence!), but went for a car ride. We were at the Stones River National Cemetery when there was a break in teh rain, so we stopped and said hi to 4X Great Uncles Henry and Charlie who fought in the battle of Stones River (aka the Second Battle of Murfreesboro), were killed and buried there. Who knew one of their kin down the line would live so close.

Then we popped into Home Depot to get a key cut. He got pets, skritches and treats from the employees and other customers. He also got a big boy milk bone when we went to the Zaxby's drive thru. I'll have to break it into pieces to give it to him.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! Had some good quality cee-mint pond time today and we consumed sup. All showered and cleanded we are and just chillin' away.

Sounds like Nelson had himself a biiiiiiiiiiiiig day!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:56 PM

Evening all. Left the house about 7:15am and after coaching 3 soccer games and refereeing one, I got home about 3:30Pm and promptly collapsed, so this is my only note for the day. The soccer went well, won two and lost one and the refereeing was fairly good (missed a couple of calls so I give myself a B). But it's still in the mid-80's F and that does wear and old fellow down.

Painter was back while I was gone and finished up. Tile guys should be back Moanday to finish their work and then I can think about moving back and starting to unpack all the boxes around the house and start putting things where they belong.

Scritches to all the dogs and {{}} to all the owners who take care of them. One of my girl's team members has a mixed breed of Basset Hound/Pitbull and it's the craziest looking thing, but utterly loveable.

May all our sleepyheads get a good night's rest. I had nappage and look forward to a good evening sleeping (one hopes).
Old 09-22-2018, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the tips on doggie traveling. I still have time to look into the tethering thing. Mauser does love to go in the car, that will help, as a car ride usually means he's going to the park. But he doesn't even mind if it's the vet. Mauser seems to like everyone. I'll have his food and water bowl, and his favorite throw from the couch. Maybe I'll get some treats to keep him happy.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Off to work
Old 09-23-2018, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 70 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 92 and a fair to middlin' chance of rain/tstorms/apocalypse this afternoon. We shall see. The big plan of the day is to deheathenate followed by N.O.L. at Sonny's. Sonny's has a deal goin' on for their big bbq plates, two meats, two sides, bread, and a drink. YUM!

Now I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy demands sustenance. Then purtification for deheathenization must commence.

Happy Sunday Y'all!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:20 AM

Awake and finally rested. I only woke once when Louie was crying because he could not see his stairs to get back into the bed. I guess he got down to get a drink.

I have stuff to do today. Like laundry and general tidying up. And Sloth. Thank Goodness I don’t have to irk today.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:49 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Rain rain rain... It started last night and has continued all night into this morning. Glad I mowed yesterday, 'cause nothing is happening outside today. And I slept thru the night, despite more weird dreams. Today shall be dedicated to mostly sluggage. Except I need to build a meatloaf with the ground beef I bought yesterday. But other than that, nothing much going on.

I envy those whose dogs like the car. Higgs HATES it and she only jumps in willingly when we're on the road. At home, we need to catch her and toss her in. She's been like that since she was teensy-tiny. Weird dog. Cozmo, on the other hand, wants to go everywhere with our daughter - he lurves his mommy!

Happy Sunday!!