Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post

Clots are really hideously gross. I never got big ones until the last year or two.
Yeah. Same here. It's the slithery ones that really get to me. I should NOT be able to feel that! (Another benefit to the menstrual cup I didn't realize until I had to use pads again.)
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cymbeline View Post
Dealing with my period has been so much better ever since I got a MoonCup over 6 years ago. It has changed my life! No discomfort, no mess, no leaks, only have to change once or twice a day. It's one of the best inventions ever. I really don't know how women are still using tampons or pads.
I couldn't use the cup. My skin reacted to the material. Talk about vaginal itch!

Re: clots. Talk to your doc if you get big clots. You may want a D&C to take care of that issue.

Last edited by carnut; 08-10-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Yeah. Same here. It's the slithery ones that really get to me. I should NOT be able to feel that! (Another benefit to the menstrual cup I didn't realize until I had to use pads again.)
Just to make this TMI thread *that* much more TMI, please recall that vibrators were not so long ago prescribed for 'hysteria' and 'menstrual conditions'. I'll just leave that statement there and let you draw your own conclusions and pictures around it, let you ponder what possible benefits medical science thought could be derived from the application of said devices.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed up View Post
Hello Ladies, I must weigh in here. I am going through menopause and am on the second month of taking Prempro. I have an ovarian cyst. I don't know if I will have periods or not since it's actually been two weeks since I've bled but before that it was every 24 days, very heavy, crampy, bloated, pissed off and just over it. I used the Depo shot for years and loved it. I stopped it thinking maybe I had already gone through the change. Doc at one point recommended the ablation.

I have ruined so many clothes and all the sheets are stained no matter the protection; tampons and pads with a towel underneath, waking every two hours to change. It is expensive too.

I don't know if I am anemic or not but I can't see how anyone can bleed like that and not be.

As time goes on it does not get better. If these pills don't help then I am going to beg for a uterus removal at least. I am 51 and would love to hear from other women who have gone through natural menopause. I have read you are not post menopausal until one year has passed with no period. I can't take very much more.
I am 4 years past my last cycle. I have not needed any estrogen therapy or any thing. I too was on depo shots for awhile which stopped my periods. however when I stopped the shots it was a nightmare. I had increibly heavy periods that were unprdictable in duration and timing, fortunately that didn't last real long but could also be the menopause kicking in. I have to say I don't miss it at all.

I had one peiod so bad that I was bleeding through a tampon and a pad everyhour and I couldn't leave work (huge clots and bad bad cramps too), I fortuneatly wore black pants and sat on a black plastic chair so it wasn't bad until I was called into the owners office where he had white chairs. I sat with the least amount of my person actually on the chair that I could manage. no one comented on my strange behavior so I guess I made it through ok. But jeez louise that was a bad day.

On my 50th birthdaywhich coincided with the last day of my cycle I looked down and said enough already. Amusingly enough that was it. I don't look my age and the doctors are still trying to give me pregnancy tests.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
I am so, so glad to be a man.
I dunno, dude. They need an abacus to keep track of their orgasms.

Nice !
Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
What might be going on is anovulatory periods - that's when you aren't having a "real" (I know, 4 days of bleeding sure feels real!) period because you didn't ovulate this month. So your period isn't triggered by the drop of progesterone, but rather the increase in estrogen.

Real periods happen when progesterone drops 12 days or so after ovulation. In a normal month, your estrogen builds and builds, and then after you ovulate, you start making progesterone for about 12 days, and then you stop making progesterone if you're not pregnant. This drop is progesterone widens the gap between your estrogen (which has still been building) and progesterone, and you bleed.

If you don't ovulate, there's no progesterone, but the estrogen keeps building and building and when it gets high enough, it causes it's own bleeding. It doesn't entirely slough off the uterine lining, but it can cause anything from light spotting to 3-4 days of a light period.

But because the uterine lining doesn't all slough off, your next "real" period (preceded by an ovulation and under the influence of falling progesterone) will probably be heavier and clottier, with the remnants of last month's uterine lining and this month's as well.
Iiiinteresting. And a bummer, because I thought that my now-regular periods meant that my parts were finally, finally starting to work right. I guess it's a good thing I don't want kids, anyway.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
Just to make this TMI thread *that* much more TMI, please recall that vibrators were not so long ago prescribed for 'hysteria' and 'menstrual conditions'. I'll just leave that statement there and let you draw your own conclusions and pictures around it, let you ponder what possible benefits medical science thought could be derived from the application of said devices.
Actually orgasm is fairly good for relieving low level cramping.

Though I agree, I hated the slithery clots. I had to deal with 20 years of the Navy gyno basically refusing to do anything about my PCOS driven hell periods, even the time where I had a period for almost 2 years straight. Take iron ... great suggestion. They wouldn't even give me BC to control the problem, I had a tubal ligation ... so I bought them online for about 8 years until I got a civilian OB GYN who finally gave me norethindrone, and finally was going to do an ablation until we discovered the tumor on the left ovary that got me a Blessed Hysterectomy [cue angelic choruses and twinkly lights] at 49 so I didn't have to wait until my 60s for menopause [my mom's side bleed into their mid to late 60s, oh frabdgious joy ]