Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 PM

Is anyone using liquid nitroglycerine anymore?

I'm reading about the transcontinental railroad and it sounds pretty dangerous. Does anyone still use it in a non-stabilized form?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:09 AM

Still used in double base and triple base artillery propellants. Produced on site and trucked to the mixing area. Not much travel on the base but it still gets moved by truck.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
Still used in double base and triple base artillery propellants. Produced on site and trucked to the mixing area. Not much travel on the base but it still gets moved by truck.
Good lord - it's like Nobel died in vain.
Is it mixed with anything (like a stabilizer)?
Once it's in the shell, how are the shells handled? They can't expect un-stabilized nitro to go bouncing around a battlefield, right? Right?
How common are these things?

I'm not certain that anybody pays enough to make me sign up for driving the truck (or mixing the stuff).

Last edited by usedtobe; 09-16-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe View Post
I'm not certain that anybody pays enough to make me sign up for driving the truck (or mixing the stuff).
It almost sounds like a plot from a '70s movie.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:27 AM

It is still used as a heart medicine, and apparently, it has been put into condoms to facilitate firmer erections. !!

Last edited by njtt; 09-16-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:31 AM

I hope we're not talking about the same chemical. Are we? Say we're not. Please?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
More likely a 1950s movie.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Good lord - it's like Nobel died in vain.
Is it mixed with anything (like a stabilizer)?
Once it's in the shell, how are the shells handled? They can't expect un-stabilized nitro to go bouncing around a battlefield, right? Right?
How common are these things?

I think you are confused here. The nitroglycerin is combined with other ingredients (traditionally nitrocellulose) to form a very stable propellant (the double base propellant) for driving the shells or bullets out of the gun. The nitrogylcerin would be produced on site *at the propellant factory* and transported *within the site.*

The ratios of the two ingredients can be varied to give different characteristics. Certain blasting gelatins are made that are safe to handle and will detonate only with a blasting cap. Propellants are stable enough that they cannot be persuaded to detonate at all, but will still burn very quickly and well.

The explosive parts of the shell (the bit going down range at high velocity) are typically based on what are called military high explosives which consist of various mixtures of RDX, HMX, TNT, aluminum powder, and various binding agents. Nitroglycerin is conspicuously absent.

-DF
Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

Wanna bang?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:19 PM

OK, mixed with nitrocellulose - much better. IIRC, TNT is (or was) stabilized nitroglycerin.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
OK, mixed with nitrocellulose - much better. IIRC, TNT is (or was) stabilized nitroglycerin.
TNT is trinitrotoluene, hence the initials. Nitrogycerin is a different compound.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Actually, dynamite is stabilized nitroglycerin. TNT is, as already mentioned, a completely different chemical.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
Actually, dynamite is stabilized nitroglycerin. TNT is, as already mentioned, a completely different chemical.
I'm old. They all look the same.

Why were elementary school kids in Dayton OH repeatedly cautioned (huge posters all over the school) about the dangers of blasting caps and how we should never, ever touch one.

They made me hope I WOULD find one - especially with fuse ignition - sound like much more fun than the silly cherry bombs we got to play with (Dayton was home of United Fireworks at the time).

Last edited by usedtobe; 09-17-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

It used to be in wide use in the plotting of children's cartoons, but I think it's less common these days.