Old 09-11-2019, 04:27 PM

They met at one of those big nightclubs in Los Angeles, the type you see in movies set in the 1940s. He was in the Navy on shore leave, and she lived near downtown in a women's boarding house, having just moved to L.A. from Minneapolis. She was 26 and he was 23. They were married for 33 years, until dad died in 1980.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:30 PM

Friend's party, 1961. They were married three months later and had 19 years together before Dad died.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:08 PM

They worked together. My dad was an assistant manager at a Jack in the Box and my mom was his sassy new employee.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

My mother was a school teacher. She was serious with another guy, who'd converted to Catholicism to be with her, looking toward marriage. She'd been in a horrible car accident, and had crushed both legs and had a foot partially amputated. She was in the hospital and a friend came by with her boyfriend. Before they left, the guy asked my mother if he could bring her something if they visited again. She said maybe a magazine or two. He came back alone with a bunch of "Field and Stream" and "Popular Mechanics" magazine and a twinkle in his eye. She dumped her fella, he dumped his gal and they married shortly after. He being a cradle Catholic too, their first date was to see Quo Vadis. They married and had 7 kids in 6 years. They were married 47 years, until my father's death.

After my father's death, my mother one of his oldest friends from his high school days, who'd also last his wife to cancer.

StG
Old 09-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

In college. My and her beatnik friends decided to protest a football game by having a sit in on the 50 yard line.

The coach sent the players to carry them off the field. Dad picked up mom, carried her to the sideline and asked her out.

Good sense of situational awareness, my dad.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 PM

Blind date that apparently didn't go well. Some time later they then ended up at a party together, and things clicked on the second meeting.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:26 PM

My parents met at a pizza restaurant in Sacramento. Mom wanted to know who owned the fancy T-bird parked out front.

The restaurant, by the way, was the original Shakey's, which spawned the first big chain of pizza restaurants in the U.S. I owe them my life.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 PM

At a catholic school dance, obviously organized by Satan himself.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 PM

My dad was a 28 year old, just entering the workforce after two tours in Nam and 4 years in college. My mom was a 19 year old assistant at my Dad's office. They both happened to be reading "Islands in the Stream" and he offered to fix her headlights.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:39 PM

Siblings, parents and grandparents.

I also know about all my great-grandparents.

Last edited by Nava; 09-11-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:45 AM

On an airplane, one of those old DC-3s (this was back in 1959). My dad was 27 and my mom was 20 and very attractive. She had just won her airline's "Miss Aviation" award, essentially a beauty pageant, complete with bathing suit picture on the cover of her city's Sunday Times magazine in the newspaper. At that age my dad was established and ready to settle down.

They were on the same flight and my mom was working. My dad had his eyes set on her. The flight got diverted because of a storm, and between the flight, ensuing delays, and the next leg my dad got her contact info. He began dating after he got passed her tough Russian father and, as they say, the rest is history.

I have some pictures of my mom around here somewhere. She was quite attractive.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:47 AM

They worked at the same pace. She (30) was teaching the kids of the officers on a military base in France, while he (22) was teaching French to the GIs.
She said later that if she'd known how young he was, she'd never have dated him.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:31 AM

They'd known each other essentially from childhood -- respective offspring in families with several kids, which families lived a few miles from each other and had been in friendly contact "since forever". They were, like the other offspring of the families, "just pals" until their mid / early twenties, latish in World War II. During Dad's home leaves (he was in the British Merchant Navy, she in a civilian job at home), things progressed to romance. They waited till the war was over -- married in 1946. The others in the "crowd" reckoned it at the time, a freakish wartime misalliance; but they were seemingly happy enough for twelve years, till Dad's sudden and unexpected death, aged 41.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I didn't know, so I asked Mom yesterday because of this thread. (Dad's been out of the picture for about 40 years).

She said they both worked at Bendix, an airplane parts manufacturer. She was one of many girls assembling parts, and he was the guy with the clipboard who would come around and check their speed and quotas. I said, "It seems weird that you would have a job like that", because I've always thought of Mom as a girly-girl. She said, "Oh no, I loved it! I had my own tool box and soldering iron and everything."

Anyway, the girls had been discussing whether or not the young man with the clipboard was married, and when he came around that day, one of the bold ones asked him flat out. He blushed and stammered and admitted that he wasn't, and the questioner hollered over to Mom, "No, Cathy, he's not married!", which embarrassed the hell out of her. I imagine things went a lot easier after that.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I never asked them.
My curiosity was piqued, so I messaged my lil brother last night, asking if he knew. He replied that of course he knew, and it disgusted him that I did not. Conversation over. I guess it's a touchy point for him, we generally get along very well.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:49 AM

I found the old pics of my mom from 1959 (from post #61). 4 pics are from the newspaper article including magazine cover bathing suit shot, and the 5th pic is my parents’ wedding photo.

Pic #3 is when she was crowned “Miss Aviation 1959” for the airlines, with trophy in hand.

https://imgur.com/a/cHI3aB9

I think she was quite attractive back then, but I get a little squicked out when talking that way about her. She’s MY MOTHER, fer criminy sakes. But what do you people think?

And... today, she is 80 years old.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:00 PM

My parents grew up in the same neighborhood in Baltimore and they kind of 'always' knew each other. They dated around high school age(different schools, though - Dad public & Mom Catholic) and were married from 1950, about a year after graduation, until my mother died in '87.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:12 PM

They went to the same party, and left together.

Dad had gone with another girl.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
... he offered to fix her headlights.
Is that what they called it back then?
Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoying Buzz View Post
They worked at the same pace. She (30) was teaching the kids of the officers on a military base in France, while he (22) was teaching French to the GIs.
She said later that if she'd known how young he was, she'd never have dated him.
That would've made me want to date him (I prefer younger men).
My parents me tin a bar, as did my former husband and I.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Hairdressing school. My dad was out of the Marines and was looking for skills to turn into a career. He met my mom, who also was training for a career, but didn't like hairdressing.

Apparently, when you're cutting hair, your customer keeps telling you how to do your job. Dad didn't like people telling him what to do.

He got into auto body repair instead.
I mentioned this to my mother and she corrected me about one important fact. My dad didn't quit hairdressing because he liked doing his own thing. He quit because he was a terrible hairdresser, and our family would have lived in a cardboard box if we depended on his hairdressing income.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:58 PM

Small Catholic High school when Dad was a Senior and Mom was a Freshman. He helped tutor her in math. They got married seven years later.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

My mom swears up and down it was a church hay-rack ride. I don't believe it; neither of them grew up in families that made church a priority. Both families were culturally Christian, but neither was church-going.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:52 PM

My dad was in a military college and my mother was studying nursing. As the military college was 100% male and nursing was 99%+ female there were several dances arranged between the two schools. A lot of the officers from that school are married to nurses.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I never asked them.
Same. And I agree...
They're both gone 10+ years.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

They met in a dance hall, in Chicago, in the very early 60s.
No, not a "dime-a-dance"--don't be rude.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Mom's guardian moved her family to Dad's hometown in '39 or so. Couple of years later, the teenager took an after school job as a librarian's assistant and Dad started hanging around the library.

Dad enlisted in the Navy in early '42 and asked Mom to wait for him, which she did. They got married while Dad was studying for his chemical engineering degree on the GI Bill; their wedding photo isn't actually from their wedding but rather at a professional's studio a few days later.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:49 PM

My parents were 12 when they met, school sweethearts.
Had me at 16.

My dad was already a tear away and was in/out of my life until he was stabbed and died when I was 19 and he was 36. It was horrific and only now at 42 I’ve come to terms with it.

My mum was/is a major depressive, probably bipolar/personality disorder, narcissist. Never diagnosed as...well she’s a narcissist and thinks there’s nothing wrong with her.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 PM

I don't know the exact circumstances, but through my mother's brothers, who were pals of my father, one of them playing for the same football team. My mother was engaged when she met my father (a fact she only told me about a few years ago), and I guess that to cancel that engagement was a minor family scandal (it was in the sixties). But it was the best for all, especially me, who wouldn't post here and now if it hadn't happened . My parents have been married for 53 years.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 09-12-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

My father's mother was a patient at a hospital where my mother worked as a nurse. He saw my mother and tried to charm her into going out with him. Fortunately, my grandmother was a patient long enough that my father finally asked my mother on a night she had nothing better to do.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:15 PM

My parents grew up in the same small community (where some of Mom's family still live). They started dating when they were 16 and got married after high school. They celebrated their 66th anniversary last week.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
My mom swears up and down it was a church hay-rack ride. I don't believe it; neither of them grew up in families that made church a priority. Both families were culturally Christian, but neither was church-going.
My parents both grew up in families who went to church on Sunday because that is What You Do On Sunday. Neither was very religious, and they stopped going after they got married. Some people attend church for the social life rather than for the theology. Especially in small towns where your only recreational options are churches and bars.

Last edited by mbh; 09-13-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:31 AM

Late 1969. My dad was a senior at Yale, and his best friend was dating a junior from Connecticut College. She introduced him to a classmate of hers, my mom, and my dad's friend decided to set my dad and her up on a blind date. Two months later they were engaged; God willing, they'll be celebrating their 50th anniversary next spring. Pretty standard stuff. My dad's friend became a big deal in television programming in the 1980s - we like to think of my parents' marriage as his first hit production.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

He was a soda jerk; she wanted a soda.