Somewhat woo, somewhat true 121 55.25%
All true, no woo 9 4.11%
Obligatory "Some other option" explained in a post 14 6.39%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Not right now you're not!

Seriously, the chiropractic theory has been debunked as thoroughly as alchemy, homeopathy, geocentrism, and the ether. Schools of chiropracty have not yet acknowledged this. Some individual chiropractors realize this and some of those try to do some good with manipulation, which has shown a small benefit for some in the short run.

But it's a complete pseudoscience.
Yeah, but do the vitalist theories of Palmer continue—in fact—to inform the understanding and practice of current chiropractors? I know the history of the development of chiropractic; what matters here is current belief and practice.

I mean, I could attribute to you any amount of horseshit (humors, trepannation) believed by Galen and Avicenna, the ancient progenitors of today's allopathic physicians, but it would be an utter misrepresentation on my part to do so.

If current chiropractors believe that certain body-manipulation techniques can afford relief for various musculoskeletal symptoms, that's not pseudoscience.

Last edited by Kimmy_Gibbler; 12-09-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

I wince every time I see the word "chiropractic" used as a noun. It just feels wrong. We don't use words like "psychiatric" or "geriatric" or "therapeutic" or "neuropathic" as nouns—why the hell should "chiropractic" be a noun? That in itself is enough to severely bias me against chiropratism chiropracy chiropractics chiropractice whatever-the-heck-it's-called: as though people who talk that way don't understand how language works, so how can they be trusted to understand how health or the human body works?

Last edited by Thudlow Boink; 12-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy_Gibbler View Post
If current chiropractors believe that certain body-manipulation techniques can afford relief for various musculoskeletal symptoms, that's not pseudoscience.
While individual chiropractors may reject some chiropractic theory and instead practice a somewhat more science-based approach to treating musculo-skeletal problems, the profession as a whole has not repudiated the teachings of the Palmers, a father and son team who founded Chiropractic and then fell out with each other. Most chiropractors do mix traditional Chiro theory with more modern approaches such as exercise, massage and ice or heat therapy.

But the core teachings of the profession continue to be that all disease is caused by subluxations of vertebrae, and that vitalism, innate intelligence and spinal adjustments are the foundation for treating disease.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Well, their degree is "Doctor of Chiropractic". There are folks out there with "Doctor of Homeopathy", "Doctor of Naturopathy", "Doctor of acupuncture and oriental medicine" and so on and so forth.

Doesn't mean the degree is worth anything. There were doctors of alchemy in days gone by.

People who advertise their services as a "Doctor" are generally required to state where they got their degree from, and what area of study it was in. But otherwise the State tends to not decide who can call themselves a doctor. Practicing as one is subject to regulations, but said regulations are not generally based on on science.
My regular doctor is a DO - Doctor of Osteopathy. DO's get most of the same training as MD's, with some extra focus on holistic wellbeing. They also do something called Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine. My impression is that this may have started with some sort chi energy type idea but nowadays, it's mostly used for physical therapy and chiropractic type treatments.

The only time, I've ever had any of the OMM practiced on me, it was to help following a severe neck injury. For a couple years, I would go in every few months and he'd crack my back and neck for me. It was heavenly! It was kind of scary at first, because my bones made such loud cracking noises. I always felt immediate pain relief from it. Eventually, the time between sessions tapered off and today I would say my neck never bothers me at all. He never mentioned any woo at the time. He just said, let me align you spine better.

Aside from that all I see him for is basic GP stuff. We have a great relationship. I've been seeing him for years and I dread when he retires.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
My regular doctor is a DO - Doctor of Osteopathy.
DO schools went mainstream science-based medical education long ago. Their manipulative techniques are now based on solid theories and rules of evidence. And most current DOs don't do much manipulation because it hasn't been shown to be real helpful (I've a cousin who's a recent grad of a DO school, who informs me on their current practices.)

If the Chiros followed suit, they (and their patients) would be better for it.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 12-09-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:03 PM

I picked "somewhat woo, somewhat true" but it is much more towards the former than the latter (you should have added two more categories, "mostly woo, somewhat true" and "mostly true, somewhat woo"); while there seems to be some evidence that they can cure or at least improve the conditions they claim to treat, even then it isn't based on scientific evidence (as most of them claim how it works).
Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM

I went to a chiropractor for 6-8 weeks after my car accident. (Woman at stop sign pulled out in front of me, I couldn't stop, my car was totaled.)

I did feel relief, but I got the impression that for "permanent" relief, I would have to go regularly forever. At the time I did not have insurance so this was not an option.

He was a rather charming fellow - would take my hand to help me up, so princely ;-) - and did not push any additional services on us. (My mother was also in the accident and was injured more than I was; she was terribly bruised from the seatbelt.)

I've been thinking about chiropractors lately, what with my current back problems, but I'm on Medicare so I don't think they're covered.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage-girl View Post
but I'm on Medicare so I don't think they're covered.
As a matter of fact...........

http://www.medicare.com/services-and...-services.html

Considering the great deal of overlap between the anti-"woo" crowd and tax-and-spend liberals, I hope this serves to drive the point home that, when the government gets into the business of handing out money, scientific worthiness usually is an afterthought.

Last edited by Kimmy_Gibbler; 12-09-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM

All I know is that while I was pregnant with my second child I had horrible lower back pain. I went to my doctor who looked at me like I was a petulant child for even daring to complain about it.

I was in constant pain and it was really affecting every aspect of my life. Then a friend recommended a Chiropractor to me. A week after starting, I was virtually pain free. One appointment week for the duration of the pregnancy and the pain never came back.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy_Gibbler View Post
Are we all four years old? Can we use grown-up words please? We have a perfectly fine term in "pseudoscience" and do not need to revert to baby talk like "woo."

Thanks for understanding.
I remember when woo used to mean 'to be nice to somebody to try to get her to be your girlfriend'. God, does this make me feel old!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM

Now, now, now, Kimmy, you know better than to do that in this forum.

Anyway, we have one of the largest Chiropractic colleges in town. It was always a Happy Hunting Ground for the girls in my wife's family, especially if one was looking for handsome, rich guys from countries where teaching it was illegal. One SIL dated a guy who I asked if it was true that they took an entire class in getting people to come back every week forever.

"Sure. Third year, second semester."

As he completely lacked a sense of humor (but was rich and handsome so SIL kept him around for a while) I assumed he was telling the truth and didn't ask if it took a whole semester because Chiropractors were too stupid to learn it in a couple classes. They tend to lack senses of humor, like the one who carried his stuff to class in a little, black, doctor's bag, like he was studying to be a Real Doctor. In 1927. Completely unironically.

Last edited by dropzone; 12-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM

Well hell. I have an appt with one tomorrow morning. I resisted, but my husband wants me to give it a try. I'm in so much pain from this possible herniated disc and the chiro is cheaper than an mri, but it sounds like I'm going to be just wasting my time.

sigh
Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 PM

My experience: positive results following a couple months of regular visits. I was in a car accident as a teen and ever since then I have experienced spasms in my neck that have been, at times, debilitating. I have not experienced a recurrence of neck spasms since prior to my course of treatment.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Well hell. I have an appt with one tomorrow morning. I resisted, but my husband wants me to give it a try. I'm in so much pain from this possible herniated disc and the chiro is cheaper than an mri, but it sounds like I'm going to be just wasting my time.

sigh
Fingers crossed it helps.

Last edited by Rhiannon8404; 12-09-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added the s to helps
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 PM
BANNED

in the 80's I did something to my spine, which cause nerve pain so incredible that I couldn't walk for 2-3 hours...I recall I was doing yard work earlier in the week, and had no effects until later. I roughed it out, and it slowly went away...altho it would resurface every year or two...the last time it came back, I decided to try a chiro...I randomly picked one from the yellow pages, called, and it was about 30 minutes to closing time, but he said he would wait for me.
Always one to park my car far off in a parking lot, to avoid dents, I did so this day as well...problem was, it took me a very long time to walk to his office...he saw me coming from his office, and let me in, even thou his office manager left. I recall he did an evaluation of me, then placed these electric probes on my back to force the mussels to contract and expand....he deducted that I had compressed a vert on one side; he said he could see that it was having the effect of making me walk like one leg was longer than the other....then he placed me on this chiro table, and said he was going to place a pinpoint straight arm thrust on my spine, to undo the compressed vertebrae...I was really nervous as this was the focal point of the pain...anyway, he did a straight arm full weight fast chop, and "snapped" my spine...supposedly back into place.

All I can tell you is that I walked back to my car in no pain, and even rode my bike when I got home...and I haven't had a recurrence yet....after 25 years.

So I have to agree with the poster, who said that while Chiro started out as pure BS, they did learn some very effective alternate techniques over the centuries. One the other hand, I had a very very pretty (to this day) childhood girl from school, whose chiro destroyed her spine, leaving her partially paralyzed....she sued and won a lot of $$$.

PS case #2, one of my best friends is a chiro; he noticed that my knees were hurting me when we went on long bike rides...he asked to look at my home office environment, and deduced that my desk and chair were not high enough ( I am a tall person)...he had me elevate the desk, and spring for an expensive chair that had back support and could extend to my height....my knee problems went away, even thou he never laid a hand on me. However, he too, once broke a bone (collar bone, IIRC) in an elderly female patient - she refused to sue him
Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
Fingers crossed it helps.
Thank you. And thanks for coming in today!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Hey, it's like, probably some of it is not quite scientifically based, but some of it is probably stuff that the mainstream, western doctors just don't want to admit works, because it'll cut into their profits, or something.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 PM

If they try to sell you their very own brand of multivitamin in the lobby, chances are they are a quack (a good rule of thumb )
Old 12-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Went to a chiro far longer than I needed to. I was not only sucked in by woo but also willing to believe the woo because he gave me so much relief from chronic back pain.

I know better now. I go to a different chiro when I strain my back or neck. When the pain stays away for a week, I quit going for adjustments. I don't buy any supplements or light therapy from them.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 PM

And what is with all the X-rays?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
While individual chiropractors may reject some chiropractic theory and instead practice a somewhat more science-based approach to treating musculo-skeletal problems, the profession as a whole has not repudiated the teachings of the Palmers, a father and son team who founded Chiropractic and then fell out with each other.
That was quite a "falling out" (the story goes that B.J. Palmer ran his father Daniel over in his car at the Palmer College of Chiropractic homecoming parade).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris
(The term "woo" is) designed to aggravate. People who say "woo" all the time very often do so with the specific intent of causing annoyance.
Peter, what term would you have us use? Quackery? Pseudoscience? Every single accurate term is bound to aggravate the quacks, pseudoscience advocates and woo-sters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
Hey, it's like, probably some of it is not quite scientifically based, but some of it is probably stuff that the mainstream, western doctors just don't want to admit works, because it'll cut into their profits, or something.
The "or something" is that chiropractic is useless at best, dangerous at worst when employed for conditions it cannot help. You will still find chiros promoting their treatments for cardiovascular disease, other internal medical complaints and even cancer. Here's a site that (rather coyly) suggests that chiropractic treatment can be effective against breast cancer:

"Upper Cervical Chiropractic Health Care may not be the cure-all for breast cancer...; (may not be??!?) however, more evidence is becoming available regarding the benefits of this well-supported complementary form of health care...This form of health care restores health and function to her nervous system thereby opening up the body’s communication highway, the Nervous System. When the brain is able to communicate with the body, anything is possible in terms of health and well-being."

Sounds a wee bit deceptive to me.

Then again, They (the Medical Establishment, Big Pharma, the Government, the Giant Alien Reptiloids) probably just don't want the Truth to be known to the sheeple.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-09-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Now, now, now, Kimmy, you know better than to do that in this forum.

Anyway, we have one of the largest Chiropractic colleges in town. It was always a Happy Hunting Ground for the girls in my wife's family, especially if one was looking for handsome, rich guys from countries where teaching it was illegal. One SIL dated a guy who I asked if it was true that they took an entire class in getting people to come back every week forever.

"Sure. Third year, second semester."
I had done something to cause a vertebra in my back to misalign. I consulted a Chiropractor who assured me he would offer relief. He'd work my spine, from the top to the spot that hurt, stop, then start from the bottom of my spine and work back to the same spot, never quite touching it. For three weeks I went in twice a week and he did the same thing. No relief was provided by the visits. I probably would have gone back had I not tripped and fallen, landing on my outstretched arms and feeling a pop in that little sore spot as it popped back into place. I stood up, and stretched, the pain was gone.

To this day I swear that nimrod of a chiropractor deliberately avoid resolving my problem. It was obvious he deliberately "missed" that spot to keep me coming back.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
And what is with all the X-rays?
The x-ray is a good thing IMO. That's how the chiro confirmed that I had scoliosis, something my M.D. kept telling me I didn't have, despite the indications I had. What, the M.D. couldn't do an x-ray?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 PM

I would never go anywhere near a chiropractor.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
I tend to think that any non-woo benefit that one could get from a chiropractor, one could also get from a physical therapist.
Just to ask, can you really go to a physical therapist for just random back pain (not caused by an accident or injury or what have you)? I didn't think that was what a physical therapist was for.

Last edited by Leaper; 12-09-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 PM

I've been, it helped.
Don't know about any woo, it was all very professional and he never claimed anything other then helping my back pain.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
The x-ray is a good thing IMO. That's how the chiro confirmed that I had scoliosis, something my M.D. kept telling me I didn't have, despite the indications I had. What, the M.D. couldn't do an x-ray?
I think your situation is rather atypical. Most of those x-rays in the chiros office are a complete waste of time and money.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 PM
BANNED

So... if I go to a medical doctor, a general practitioner in the United States... how often are they going to refer me to a chiropractor? Is there a big schism between them and traditional modern western medicine? Or is it pretty common for a family doctor to refer you to a chiropractor for *some* problems (I guess all of these would probably be for back pain or at least pain of some sort).

Compare this to, for example, acupuncture, which I feel after this thread is probably in a similar category of mostly woo or all woo, but somehow (maybe all just placebo), it helps some people with pain (which is a relatively poorly understood phenomenon anyhow in medicine, and is very subjective from one person to the next). Do general practitioners, or even other specialists, often refer people to acupuncturists?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Here in Choice is a good piece about the state of play in Australia. I have used a chiropractor for 30 odd years, going regularly when I was younger and played tennis, and once in a blue moon nowadays. Of all the chiropractors I have seen, I have never heard mention of subluxations or suggestions of fixing anything non-skeletal.

According to the Choice article one body of chiropractors is trying to make the practice more like the dodgy US style. However:
Quote:
The other main member body for chiropractors, the Chiropractic and Osteopathic College of Australasian (COCA), which has more than 1000 members, rejects the notion of subluxations and proposes to adopt the position of the General Chiropractic Council in the UK, which states: “The chiropractic vertebral subluxation complex is an historical concept but it remains a theoretical model. It is not supported by any clinical research evidence that would allow claims to be made that it is the cause of disease or health concerns.”
So Choice concludes:
Quote:
So if you develop a bad back, the first step is to ask your family doctor or GP to recommend one. However, if they can’t help you, there are some indicators to help you choose a good one.
  • Look for a chiropractor whose practice is limited to conservative treatment of back pain and other musculoskeletal problems. Avoid chiropractors who insist that they are primary care doctors.
  • Science-based chiropractors commonly use heat or ice packs and recommend a home exercise program in addition to manual manipulation or stretching or massage of tight muscles or joints. They don’t use applied kinesiology, live blood analysis, surface electromyography, thermography, an Insight Subluxation Station or an activator (“the stick that goes click”). See our article on Dodgy Diagnostics for more on these.
  • You should see significant improvements after a few visits. Don’t get caught into signing up for a long-term treatment program or “contract of care” where you agree to have regular, frequent visits for many months – some even ask for payment in advance.
  • Avoid chiropractors who claim to prevent or treat diseases, infections and health conditions other than musculoskeletal ones; who claim to detect and treat subluxations; or who prescribe and sell dietary supplements or homeopathic remedies.
  • Avoid chiropractors who advise you not to have your children immunised.
  • The chiropractor should explain that chiropractic neck manipulation can cause serious injuries, including stroke. Ideally, they should ask you to give informed written consent.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
So... if I go to a medical doctor, a general practitioner in the United States... how often are they going to refer me to a chiropractor?.
Rarely to never. (At least IME)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
D.D. Palmer formulated this in Iowa, so I guess it was the western doctors in Colorado that were protecting their profits.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 AM

Chiropractic is pure and utter woo.

Some chiropractors have learnt the basics of some elements of traditional physiotherapy.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Just to ask, can you really go to a physical therapist for just random back pain (not caused by an accident or injury or what have you)? I didn't think that was what a physical therapist was for.
Yes, you can. (My husband is a PT and often treats people for chronic pain that doesn't come from a specific incident.)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 View Post
Yes, you can. (My husband is a PT and often treats people for chronic pain that doesn't come from a specific incident.)
I wouldn't recommend going to a therapist without a clear diagnosis from a specialist, however. Diagnosis isn't their speciality, in my experience. (If I am wrong, let me know)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 AM

I was at the grocery store this weekend and the carts had this advertisement. I had to take a picture because it was so....grotesque. The picture shows a girl, maybe 3-4 years old, getting a spinal adjustment.

Here's their website which says:
Quote:
Dr. Vernon Kuznia locates and corrects misalignments of the spine called subluxations to allow the innate intelligence of the body to better express itself.
Oh, and the 13 reasons to have your spine checked? Pure amusement if they weren't purposefully bilking ignorant folks out of their money. Number 8 is my magical favorte:
Quote:
8. More Hours in Your Day.
How can you get more than 24 hours a day from chiropractic visits, especially when the visit is going to take at least a little time? Well, time-management experts will tell you that it is the efficient use of your time, not the total number of hours that is the issue. If your mind and body are working as well as they possibly can, you will be more efficient and more than make up for the time it takes to visit your chiropractor.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
The x-ray is a good thing IMO.
Unnecessary and/or excessive X-rays are not at all good, both for financial reasons and risks associated with ionizing radiation.

"Both anecdotal and quantitative studies have shown that chiropractors are very likely to order spine X rays. Given the inutility of these studies, and the radiation exposure, what reason could there be (aside from financial incentive) for chiropractors to order X rays?...X rays can be very effective at diagnosing traumatic bone and joint injuries such fractures and dislocations. These films can be very tricky to interpret, and nearly all doctors have their films over-read by a radiologist. Given that chiropractic is not useful in the treatment of an acute fracture or dislocation, and that chiropractors are not qualified to read these films, this seems a poor excuse for ordering films."

"X rays are not very sensitive or specific for the diagnosis of other important bone diseases such as osteoporosis, and can be very tricky when cancer is a consideration, as some bony cancer lesions show up on X rays and some do not. X rays done and interpreted by a chiropractor or any other unqualified individual can lead to a false sense of security."

Thankfully, it appears that whole body X-rays once commonly ordered by chiropractors and involving relatively high radiation doses, seem less common now. Chiros still claim to be able to identify "subluxations" from X-rays, but chiropractic "subluxation" has not been convincingly demonstrated to exist, to be detectable on X-rays, or be treatable by manipulation.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-10-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM
BANNED

OK I am beginning to see here, that many of you required repeat visits to the chiro...yet mine was fixed in one visit, and symptoms never returned. He did schedule a follow-up visit, but I saw no need and never returned.
'
Worth noting : as I was leaving (after hours, after his office admin left) he could not figure out how to process the credit card, and never charged me. Perhaps his plan was to bill me on next visit during her working hours.

I do recall he made clear that I had to start doing repetitive stretch exercises or the pain would return...especially before doing strenuous activity like shoveling snow...advice that I still follow.

PS I am one who has never had a stitch nor broken bone; (very very rarely get colds or headaches), never miss work. Only time in hospital was when born. So I am not the type to have imagined the nerve pain. I am also very much a skeptic of anything that can not be proven via science.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomist View Post
I wouldn't recommend going to a therapist without a clear diagnosis from a specialist, however. Diagnosis isn't their speciality, in my experience. (If I am wrong, let me know)
I'm sure some therapists are better than others and you'd probably want to go to an experienced PT. Many insurance companies won't pay for therapy without a referral from a doctor, but doctors (especially GPs) very often do refer patients without a clear diagnosis. An experienced PT should be able to figure out what's going on and put together a plan, or refer you to an orthopedist if he can't. They certainly aren't any less qualified to diagnose than a chiropractor is.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
BANNED

stpauler.... thank you (and curse you) for sharing that image with us. Wow... I don't even know what to say.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Seriously, the chiropractic theory has been debunked as thoroughly as alchemy
Ha! I'd love to see the look on your face when everybody is buying my recycled pet rock philosopher's stone for only $999.99
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM

My chiro doesn't claim to help anything but my chronic muscle pain. He does light massage - no cracking or popping. He checks to see if I'm doing my exercises right, and if it's the right combo for my current issues. He reports back to my MD every 6 months.

I go in once a month, unless I have acute pain, which isn't very often anymore. I'm sure it's the exercises which do the most good. Thinking of him as a doctor guilts me into doing the darn exercises that, if I weren't going in once a month, I probably wouldn't do.

His practice is covered by my insurance without a prescription, which is why I go to a chiro rather than a physical therapist, which requires a prescription (and thus a trip to my MD) every 3 months, or a massage therapist, which isn't covered at all.

I didn't even know about the woo-side of chiropractics. That's some weird shit.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
So... if I go to a medical doctor, a general practitioner in the United States... how often are they going to refer me to a chiropractor?
I don't think I would continue to go to a doctor that referred me to a chiropractor.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
I don't think I would continue to go to a doctor that referred me to a chiropractor.
Haha fair enough.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I think your situation is rather atypical. Most of those x-rays in the chiros office are a complete waste of time and money.
Ambivalid, I agree with you about the quacks out there because I've met some of them. But I have been misdiagnosed by M.D.s so much that I had little to lose by trying something different. Luckily, I found someone who knew what he was doing on the first try.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Backrubs don't cure cancer.

A massage therapist can help you with a bad back, for a fraction of the cost of Dr Woo.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post

sigh
Do not go to a chiropractor for a diagnosis!

I knew a guy who'd done some radical skating in his youth & often had aches & pains; not advanced enough to require surgery & the MD's just offered him drugs. So he visited a chiropractor every couple of months & seemed to get relief. OK for him.

Another friend had horrible back pain that only got worse after months with a chiropractor. (I saw him briefly--he was jaundiced & looked shockingly bad.) So he went to an acupuncturist--who gave him an exam & told him to get himself to an MD immediately. He had pancreatic cancer & didn't last long. An early diagnosis might not have helped, but I'm appalled at that chiropractor, just taking his money as he got sicker.

Your situation is probably not so grim--but you do need to see a real doctor.

Last edited by Bridget Burke; 12-11-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Dr Woo.
That made me wonder, other than the Dan reference, there really are Drs Woo who are chirpractors. Whoda thunk!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Backrubs don't cure cancer.

A massage therapist can help you with a bad back, for a fraction of the cost of Dr Woo.
Bosda, I only go to the chiro when I've thrown something out of whack in my back because the M.D. doesn't do a damn thing for it. I wouldn't ever consider going to the chiro for cancer, or pneumonia. I go to the M.D.

In my experience a backrub is great for muscle tension but doesn't relieve the scoliosis issue as well as my chiro. And the cost is the same.

Different problems usually have different solutions. But for heaven's sake, ask others for references to a specific M.D., D.C., or massage therapist.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 View Post
My impression was you still need a prescription for PT in order to see one though? Is this true, or does it depend on the state?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
In my experience a backrub is great for muscle tension but doesn't relieve the scoliosis issue as well as my chiro. And the cost is the same.
Evidence-based medicine says the following about scoliosis which has stabilized and does not require alignment surgery (which represents that vast majority of scoliosis):
Quote:
Most patients with scoliosis have little, if any, functional limitation or pain in adulthood. Back pain is slightly more common than in the general population but is rarely disabling, and the risk of neuropathy is low. Mortality is not increased compared with the general population.
(From UpToDate.com, a subscription medical website.)

Chiros have a reputation for diagnosing a lot of scoliosis that is not clinically significant. Or even necessarily present.

I'm not saying that's the situation in your case, but the above info does represent the thinking of the scientific medical community on the topic.