Old 06-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Bed sheets. I'm new at this. What should I be looking for? Material? Thread count?

It's been a long time since I purchased bed sheets. My ex took care of that.
So, what am I looking for in a moderate budget?
Can Walmart provide me with a reasonable product?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:21 PM

Cotton.

ISTR 400 is the lowest you want to go in terms of comfort or even durability. Go as big as your wallet will let you, at some point it becomes an investment.

Also, Jersey Knit are quite nice (and cheap), a bit like a flannely t-shirt. Pay attention to how you launder them or they can pill. Target sells these for sure, and they come in a cool bag made of the same stuff that you can use when collecting mushrooms in the forest...or something.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 06-14-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
ISTR 400 is the lowest you want to go in terms of comfort or even durability.
What's an ISTR?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:46 PM

I think he meant "I Seem to Recall".

Personally, I'm a big fan of microfiber sheets. They're durable and cooling, and ridiculously soft.

This is the brand I'm currently using.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 PM

If you have a CostCo near you, they have nice sheet sets. I picked Alberta randomly for you (this is a 600 thread count set).

Things to look for:

-Type of material - do you prefer warm or cool (cotton, bamboo, flannel, silk, and so on). I would avoid anything that says polyester.
-Size of your mattress - obviously you know what size your bed is, but look how deep your mattress is as well. Mattresses can be a lot thicker than they used to be, so make sure you are getting sheets that will fit over your mattress.
-If you're buying a set, look for things like the size of the pillow cases compared to your pillows (king pillows are a different size) and the number of pillow cases included (some will have 2 versus 4).

I like the cotton sheets from Costco for Spring, Summer and Fall, and I get the flannel for Winter. I've tried bamboo before, and it feels nice but wears out quickly.

Here's some microfiber sheets.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 06-14-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I think he meant "I Seem to Recall".
I genuinely thought it stood for some technical sheet parameter.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
What's an ISTR?
Heh...that did look like a technical term or something. Sorry for the confusion, but I've never declared myself to be anything other than a moron.

And yeah, Flannel for winter is the business.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 06-14-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:55 PM

My favorite is Modal sheets. It's a special type of rayon, and feels like a favorite t-shirt.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Suspended

Material has two aspects that I can think of: what it is obviously, but also the feel of it. You can find sheets made of the same material that feel quite different from each other, and if you're ever going to care about texture and feel of a fabric, in your bed is the place.

In general higher thread counts are supposed to be better, but I think "diminishing returns" kicks in at some point. As long as it's not too low.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:11 PM

An important distinction for regular cotton sheets is the weave. You will see 2 words "sateen" and "percale." They are woven differently. Sateen sheets are double woven or something and are much smoother (often called "silky") for the same thread count. However, they can be rather limp and feel too warm during the night. Percale sheets are generally described as feeling more "crisp" even when you don't iron them (who does, right?) and they do wrinkle more than sateen sheets. Because they aren't double-woven they may not be as durable, depending on the wear and tear they get. You can find high thread count percale sheets that feel pretty much like sateen, but they are a little lighter weight and still a little crisper.

For myself I prefer percale in a 300-500 thread count range. Percale is not as popular now as sateen largely, I think, because of the silkiness factor. But I find sateen sheets a little too slippery for comfort.

I can't speak to the other fabrics, especially bamboo. I have felt samples of microfiber in the store and didn't much care for them. But this is especially a personal choice, so I recommend finding a brick and mortar store that sells them and feeling for yourself. And I wouldn't worry too much about depth, if you have a deep mattress, almost all sheet sets, even cheap ones at Walmart, will fit a deep mattress.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Find a thread count the price of which makes your nose bleed.

Go up 2 levels from that.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
And I wouldn't worry too much about depth, if you have a deep mattress, almost all sheet sets, even cheap ones at Walmart, will fit a deep mattress.
I agree on this - there certainly was a problem in the past when thicker mattresses became popular and sheet manufacturers hadn't caught up yet, but I think that's over.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 PM

Highest thread count you can afford. It's all in the count.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Well, it's also somewhat in the material. I think of a sheet like I do a men's dress shirt. There's 100% cotton; some people are perfectly satisfied with a blend; some like microfiber.

Personally, I can tell the difference between all-cotton and a blend, and it's worth it to me to go with cotton. YMMV.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

I once bought some high thread count sheets at a home show. Maybe bamboo or something I don't recall. Thread count was like 1200.

Felt great for a few days. When I went to pull the sheets up after getting in bed my thumb punched a hole right through by the hem.

Having bought at the home show there was no recourse that I could find.

Lesson learned, buy local.

GaryM

Last edited by GaryM; 06-14-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:39 PM

You gotta start by telling us what you like. Bed sheets are highly personal and there are several different weights and finishes. High thread count is good, but it can be achieved in different ways with substantially different outcomes.

Where do you fit on these spectrums?

[slippery? smooth? flannel? rough linen?]
[super light? thin? medium? heavy? winter weight?]
[fluffy? soft? flexible? stiff?]
[rumpled? wrinkle resistant? ironed?]
Old 06-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

In the summer I like a nice 100% cotton percale. Crisp and airy. In the winter I like 100% cotton sateen or flannel. Sometimes I use a flannel bottom sheet and a sateen top sheet - flannel against flannel feels like I'm Velcro'd in the bed. Thread count (IMHO matters more in sateen than percale. Open the sheet and feel it - if it's not like sand paper, it'll probably be okay. It'll soften as it gets washed.

Don't be fooled by products that say "cotton rich!" or "feels like cotton!" or "easy care".

StG
Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
You gotta start by telling us what you like. Bed sheets are highly personal and there are several different weights and finishes. High thread count is good, but it can be achieved in different ways with substantially different outcomes.

Where do you fit on these spectrums?

[slippery? smooth? flannel? rough linen?]
[super light? thin? medium? heavy? winter weight?]
[fluffy? soft? flexible? stiff?]
[rumpled? wrinkle resistant? ironed?]
I don't know. Smooth like a hotel room, I guess.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 PM

If its smooth you like then toss out flannel or microfibre. I don't like t-shirt knit either.YMMV. I like smooth high thread count cotton. Maybe Egyptian cotton. Pricy, but worth it. Look for a sale
Old 06-14-2018, 09:26 PM

I buy my sheets from L. L. Bean. They're expensive, but they last FOREVER.

Not sure about the thread count; they do sell several, in addition to flannel sheets.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:10 PM

We have some jersey t-shirt sheets for winter, and Amazon Basics cotton blend for summer. I really like the Amazon ones, and the queensize set was less than $30. They're noticeably cooler.

If you like smooth sheets, your laundering is important. Get them straight off the line or out of the dryer and on to the bed right away. If you fold them up, or worse, leave them bundled up in the laundry basket, they'll crease and crumple until the next time you wash them.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 PM

I have two sets of true 1200 TC sheets. Both are extremely tightly woven, and have a definite body (when you flick them, they don't flop.)

In one set, this was achieved by using extremely fine threads. Those are very smooth and fine, so thin you can literally read through them if the light is bright enough. Those are light and smooth and wonderful for hot Summer nights.

In the second set, the threads are normal and the warp is just ridiculously tight. They are so thick and crisp that the weight of them is a shock in your arms. It's easily five times the weight you are expecting when you gather up an armload of sheets. I knew they were perfect for me when I saw all the complaints online about them being too heavy. The Duvet cover from this set is a perfect Summertime blanket all by itself. Those are my personal favorite.

It sounds like you are looking for a thickish cotton percale. When you feel them, make sure they feel smooth rather than soft. If they feel soft even before the first washing then there are too many loose thread ends, and they will pill.

The reason folks are recommending Egyptian cotton is because they have a long growing season, and therefore produce longer fibres. Long fibres means fewer loose thread ends to tangle and pill up. Get the 600 thread count if it's not too dear. I usually end up at overstock.com for sheets, but caveat emptor, check the fibre content. Sometimes it will say "Egyptian Cotton" which is true, there is some, but the rest is 80% polyester or Rayon. Bamboo is rayon too. Some people really like the silkiness of it, but it's not for me.

Above all, if you are getting a fitted bottom sheet, be sure you measure the thickness of the mattress. Mattresses can vary from 4" to 16" deep. You need to make sure that the pocket is deep enough, or else making the bed will be a nightmarish chore.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Thread count numbers have become complete BS. It's difficult to make meaningful comparisons between what's available. I've been disappointed with some rather expensive sheets and kinda feel defeated even trying anymore. My standard now have been sheets from Costco, not the best I've had but pretty good and an excellent value.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Not really. It's a fairly recent gimmick/myth:

https://www.elledecor.com/design-dec...doesnt-matter/

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/garden/08shop.html
Old 06-14-2018, 10:55 PM

Flannel, as soft as you can get. In the winter, the top sheet is soft and warm with a blanket or comforter over it. In the summer, just use the sheet with no blanket over it. Kick the thermostat down and sleep nice and comfy.

Jersey knit sheets are almost as good.

Crisp is for potato chips, not bedding!

Last edited by california jobcase; 06-14-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...eets/index.htm
Old 06-14-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytyperanma View Post
Thread count numbers have become complete BS. It's difficult to make meaningful comparisons between what's available.
While a low thread count can mean that the sheets are loosely woven, a really high thread count is just a marketing gimmick. What manufacturers do is use a multi-ply thread, instead of a single ply. So what was a 125 thread count sheet might be marketed as a 500 thread count sheet, if they are using 4-ply thread. Think about it, is it even possible to weave a cloth that has 1000 threads (horizontal + vertical) in a square inch of material?

I find I do best by running my hands over the sample of sheet. Most stores now have samples attached to the shelves, or the carrying bag for the sheets is make of out the same material, so you can touch it. Find something that doesn't feel rough, or cheap.

I also find that we wear through fitted sheets much faster than the flat sheets. It seems to be caused by rough heels and toe nails. So if I can, I buy an extra fitted sheet. I also buy an extra set of pillow cases, because we have more than 2 pillows on our bed.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:54 PM

I like 100% Polyester Microfiber sheets. They're soft, they're nicely cool, and they're not ridiculously expensive. Cotton sheets or cotton blend never feel as smooth and soft as those to me, and the satiny or silky ones make me sweat.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Crisp is for potato chips, not bedding!
Our mileage may vary, of course. I hate flannel sheets. Soft sheets feel clammy to me. Crisp feels clean and fresh.

Regarding the thread count discussion: it seems to me that using multi-ply thread can still make a difference in how the sheet feels and lasts. If the single-ply thread is the same thickness as the 4-ply thread (if that's possible) the 4-ply would still be smoother, I think. If the single-ply thread is smaller, then the weave will be noticeably looser. I say this with no expertise at all. In any case, I have learned to stay away from anything below 200 thread count, they have always been a little too rough for my tender skin, or else too flimsy to last.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:11 PM

It sounds like you are looking for a crisp cotton sheet set. Know your bed size before you buy; check to see if it's a pillow top, they need deeper pockets in a fitted sheet. If you use a mattress pad the deep pockets may be needed anyway.
Wash them before use and don't bother w/ fabric softener at any step - if they're cotton all it will do is make them smell. To keep the crisp feeling, use the lowest possible setting in the dryer and they'll last much longer.
If they deform from washing, return them; it's unlikely, but it happens even when the sheets look perfect in the package.
Look for a solid color, that style is likely to last and any pillow cases will go nicely w/ them regardless. If the set comes w/ pillow cases, wash everything at the same time for the color to wear evenly rather than washing the cases more often for example.

For me personally, I like not having to worry about fitted sheets in any way, so I just got king size flat sheets since I tuck both top and bottom sheets when I make the bed already. But I wouldn't blame you for wanting a 4 piece set for your first new sheets!
Old 06-15-2018, 07:01 PM

So, as usual, the responses are all over the map.
But thank you.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:06 PM

I like crisp sheets that stay that way. I used to be a total thread count whore but I've discovered that the IKEA Dvala cotton sheets are the ones I go to by preference over every other set I own--and I have Egyptian cotton 800 TC and flannel and knit sheets as well as the IKEA ones. They're cheap, they're super comfortable, they wash and wear like iron, they're deep enough to handle IKEA mattresses, which are pretty thick, and the pillow cases have the neat little pockets so the pillow stays inside and nothing bunches up. My only quibble is that the color selection is a little "meh," but aside from that it's nothing but applause from me.

While you're at IKEA, get a light summer weight down comforter, a nice cotton duvet cover and some down pillows. You can get all of this for what I've seen a single set of sheets priced at, and you'll be using them for years. I have all this stuff and an IKEA mattress as well, and I've never in my life slept so well.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Completely disagree, high thread count is mostly a marketing gimmick. I can't stand most of the stuff marketed as high thread count (the 1000-1200 count stuff), and it's more expensive than what I do like. Just feel the sheets and find a material that you like the touch of, personally I like crisp non-sateen cotton sheets in the 400-600 thread count range.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Yarns and strings are made up of threads. Threads are made up of yarns or strings. Which means that you can buy an 1200 thread count which is made up 300 4-ply yarns.

You can buy cheap high thread count sheets. They aren't any better than any other cheap sheet.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:30 PM

I just buy cheap sheets for Walmart for my personal use. I couldn't even tell you what the thread count is because I never bother to look. I do machine wash and dry the sheets before I put them my bed though; it helps soften them help before I have to sleep on them.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Elephant Whisperer

We'd never heard of "thread counts" before about 15 years or so ago, then the term seemed to pop up everywhere. So we bought some very high thread-count sheets but were not impressed. There must be some other factor that governs softness or comfort.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:54 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

I'm generally happy with the various sheets Target sells. I've had both their store brand Threshold line and their Nate Burkus line. Both of them seem to hit a good balance between price, comfort, durability, ease of care, and other nice little features (such as tags which tell you which are the top/bottom and which are the sides). I like flannel, but not in the summer, and I can't stand microfiber.