Old 06-16-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
If the store's policy is that you must buy four of the item to get the discounted price, I assume it would be easy enough to program the POS system so it only charges the discounted price if it sees four of the item being rung up.
The local supermarket I go to does this. The first three ring up as the full price and the fourth rings ups as the difference. If you say there were only 2 or 3 available on the shelf, the cashier will make a manual adjustment to the Buy 4 price.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Given that the majority of the items in markets have a finite shelf life (even if it's in years for canned items), they try to rotate their stock as quickly as possible for profit and warehouse space. Having must buy X sales helps move it quicker.

My cousin used to work at the local 7Up canner/distributor and he said that production does vary during the year and they offer special pricing during the peak periods (e.g. holidays). Even soda has a finite shelf life and keeping production the same throughout the year will cause periods of over and understocking in their warehouse.

4th of July is coming up and you'll see likely see soda prices at their lowest as it's a time for outdoor events like picnics.

Last edited by lingyi; 06-16-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:04 PM

I don't know about other areas, but I've only seen the Must Buy X sales start a few years ago locally. It started with items that are commonly bought in multiples, Spam (a must have in Hawaii) and soda, but is spreading to other items lately.

Last edited by lingyi; 06-16-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
What about Big K sodas, Kroger's own brand? Kroger is always selling its 12 packs at 4 for $10, must buy four.
I don't anything about Big K but a possible advantage to them aside from just attracting customers to shop is that they need a minimum volume to get a favorable price from the bottler. It may not be profitable for them to have their own soda brand without hitting that price point.

These are only simple profit based motives based on cost v. sales of the sodas. These sales may be based on more intricate calculations based on the sales and profit of all of their products and some relationship with particular product specials. So they may find that the gross increases whenever they have certain items for sale. It may be as simple as soda sales doing a good job getting customers to do all their shopping at Big K stores while other product specials don't produce that effect as well. Unless they're still using some ancient cash registers they have detailed information on the purchase totals for every visit where the customer does or does not take advantage of this special price.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
What about Big K sodas, Kroger's own brand? Kroger is always selling its 12 packs at 4 for $10, must buy four.
I'm looking at Fry's (our local Kroger-owned store) on my Instacart app, and they show Big K 12 packs at $2.50 apiece, regular price, no minimum purchase required.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Not my Safeway (California.) In fact our Luckys almost always has must buy 4 to get the discount deals, while the Safeway usually advertises 4 for $10 ($2.50 each.)

I often don't buy at Luckys because I don't need, don't have room for 4 items, so this doesn't always increase volume.
However I bet that Safgeway, at least, experiments all the time with how much more they sell at 4 for $10 instead of $2.50 each, since the deal gets varied all the time. They also collect data from the club bard. We bought diapers/baby snakcks when our grandson was staying, and they are now totally convinced we have a newborn.
wow you still have a luckys ? Albertsons bought out all of ours almost 20 years ago …..

But yeah soda is most often the biggest one around here for that pricing.... for 3 weeks cokes been about 5-6.49 a 12 pack Then target will run a 4 for 10 deal (usually its 3/4 for 12 unless a holiday) with the tag "6.49 single price"

I cant find the magazine story I read online but the person who owned the data center that kept all the store data for target had a story where target used to run very specific coupon books based on what the address bought

Well one week they sent one of them to a teenage girl that was nothing but baby stuff for before during and after the pregnancy and when dad picked up the mail he read through it and took off to target threw a fit on why were they encouraging pregnancy to a minor, what kind of girl did they think she was ect (she was 16-18) threw the coupon book at the manager and took off after 20 minutes

Well a couple of days later he returned to the store and apologized to the staff in the store because as he said " there were things going on in his family he wasn't informed of at the time " the daughter was 8 weeks along target seeing an opportunity gave the family a 100$ gift card for causing the problem and continued sending the coupons …… and has target fans for life

The amazing thing about it ? All they had bought was 1 bottle of some prenatal vitamins that were suggested

supposedly they can tell how far along you were with each store purchase too but now they mix it up a bit so you cant tell its custom made

Last edited by nightshadea; 06-16-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 PM

Sorry for all the posts, but it just dawned on me that this is probably a response to Costco/PriceClub and Sam's Club where buying in bulk is a must and has been proven to something (some) consumers want.

Interestingly, Costco's regular prices on some items such a soda (which are reported to be no more than 10-15% above their cost) are higher than sale prices at regular stores, meaning huge discounts must be given for sale promotions or the margins for the store very small or a loss (leader).
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
wow you still have a luckys ? Albertsons bought out all of ours almost 20 years ago …..

But yeah soda is most often the biggest one around here for that pricing.... for 3 weeks cokes been about 5-6.49 a 12 pack Then target will run a 4 for 10 deal (usually its 3/4 for 12 unless a holiday) with the tag "6.49 single price"

I cant find the magazine story I read online but the person who owned the data center that kept all the store data for target had a story where target used to run very specific coupon books based on what the address bought

Well one week they sent one of them to a teenage girl that was nothing but baby stuff for before during and after the pregnancy and when dad picked up the mail he read through it and took off to target threw a fit on why were they encouraging pregnancy to a minor, what kind of girl did they think she was ect (she was 16-18) threw the coupon book at the manager and took off after 20 minutes

Well a couple of days later he returned to the store and apologized to the staff in the store because as he said " there were things going on in his family he wasn't informed of at the time " the daughter was 8 weeks along target seeing an opportunity gave the family a 100$ gift card for causing the problem and continued sending the coupons …… and has target fans for life

The amazing thing about it ? All they had bought was 1 bottle of some prenatal vitamins that were suggested

supposedly they can tell how far along you were with each store purchase too but now they mix it up a bit so you cant tell its custom made
It's never been a secret that stores with Savings Cards and their own credit cards track and target all of your purchases. CVS (Longs in Hawaii) does this big time for their card holders. If I buy toothpaste twice within a certain time period, I'll get a coupon for $X off toothbrushes with my receipt. If I don't shop there for a couple of weeks, I'll get a coupon for $X off $X to bring me back. I currently have a $10 off / $40 purchase coupon because I didn't shop there for the past two weeks. One of the keys of course is that AFAIK, it's only one coupon per visit.

I purposely used to space out my KMart/Sears shopping for months at a time because I'd get $X coupons with no minimum purchase required. I got several hundred dollars of free items (less the previous extra dollars spent at KMart/Sears versus somewhere cheaper) this way.

Last edited by lingyi; 06-16-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The story is here in the Sunday New York Times Magazine. The story was that Target wanted to identify expectant women very early in their pregnancies, before every other company target-marketed (no pun intended) to them. So they mined their sales data from loyalty card holders and noted that women who bought unscented lotion and multivitamins were often six months later joining the baby registry or buying diapers and other newborn supplies.

So loyalty cards give stores a great deal of info about individual customers. But even if you think you're remaining anonymous by refusing loyalty cards and paying cash for everything, they still get insight from what things you buy together, and whether you respond to in-store promotions.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
ALL Lucky's were rebranded as Albertson's in 1998. Then in 2006 a couple companies bought them and split it in half. The group centered in the Bay Area decided to bring back the Lucky's name.

So they're still around in NorCal, but changed hands a couple times since they last had the same name.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Feelings don't have anything to do with it. And there's pretty much no difference between 99 cents and $1.00.
And yet when when we did it, people clearly thought that $1.99 was $1. They would get to the head of the queue and pull out $1 as payment.

This was engineering students at university, cash transactions: they weren't dumb and they weren't rich.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:18 AM

I know it's all psychological and silly, but there was something almost magical to go to the $0.99 store and see the last digit of your purchases increment down until you hit that $9.90 mark! The magic just isn't there when everything is $1.00.

The end to our local $0.99 stores came when they started adding non $0.99 cent items to their inventory. Two tubes of super glue for $0.99 was a no-think bargain, but four tubes for $1.99 called for a thought, "Do I really need four tubes of super glue? I just need one and have then I have one as a spare. But three spares?".

Last edited by lingyi; 06-17-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:27 AM

I remember when Pay 'n Save first came to Hawaii in the 70's and regular priced items ended in .97. It was only $0.02 less, but it seemed like such a bargain. Hey, if you bought ten items you'd save $0.20! That was a free pack of gum!

Last edited by lingyi; 06-17-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
In my particular store, if we're offering, say, 3 crates of soda for $10, then each crate will be $3.34 each so in my store you don't need to buy three to get the sale price. Phrasing it that way makes it more likely you'll buy that many, it's a suggestion many take us up on.

We still make a bit of money if you just buy one - but corporate prefers you buy more.

That, and if we're trying to get rid of perishable items (the avocado example) we really do want them out of the store. We might even be selling them at cost, because that's still more than we'd get for them if we let them rot.
I was going to say this, too. At both of my local grocery stores they often advertise something like 3 for $5 but they give the discounted price even if you only buy one or two. Occasionally the ad will say, “must by x number,” but that’s often not the case. However, one store does it with steaks. You must buy so many pounds or packages to get a lower price per pound.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Just checked our local Target ad and found the following too funny.

Coca Cola 12pks are listed at 2/$10 or $7.99 each. If you go to the online order page, it shows them as $4.99 each. I added one to my cart, shows up as $4.99, but there's a link to a 3/$10 offer. Increased my order to three and sure enough, it's $10! I continued and now have 3/$10 vs. the advertised 2/$10.

I've seen this glitch when ordering online from Target and other stores before. I'm sure it's because while almost everything is priced higher in-store because of shipping costs to Hawaii, the online ordering database hasn't been updated to adjust for Hawaii.