Old 06-15-2018, 10:30 AM

Who gives a shit? It's North Korean state media. If he hadn't returned the salute, they'd be perfectly happy to fake a video showing that he did.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Iíve been hearing Trump is a secret Buddhist.
Worst. Buddhist. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump (according to Doonesbury)
He's the head of a country -- and I mean he's the strong head. He speaks and people sit up in attention. I want my people to do the same. (Trump on North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un)
Now, see, that is the sort of "faux pas" we should all be talking about.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Who gives a shit? It's North Korean state media. If he hadn't returned the salute, they'd be perfectly happy to fake a video showing that he did.
If they had, we could counter with the real photo...but they didn't, and we can't. It was a stupid thing to do that he was warned about beforehand. It wasn't the first time, it certainly won't be the last, and people not giving a shit is the reason it continues.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:51 AM

So apparently it is not a serious issue. Fine, it doesn't ruffle my feathers any. But- what would the Republican reaction have been if Obama had saluted North Korean officers? I'll tell you- they would have been protests outside the White House, calls for impeachment, accusations of disrespecting the troops and the Korean war dead, and so on. It would have been proof positive of Obama's treason.

I'd like to end the tradition, as started by Reagan, of returning salutes.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
So apparently it is not a serious issue. Fine, it doesn't ruffle my feathers any. But- what would the Republican reaction have been if Obama had saluted North Korean officers? I'll tell you- they would have been protests outside the White House, calls for impeachment, accusations of disrespecting the troops and the Korean war dead, and so on. It would have been proof positive of Obama's treason.

I'd like to end the tradition, as started by Reagan, of returning salutes.
Would there be though? When the right wing "media" went ape-shit over Obama doing something or other, it happened in their own media silo. The only people who noticed or cared were the Hannity, Limbaugh, Murdoch listeners.

Did the fact that Obama bowed or saluted or whatever he did change a single vote?

Pointing out republican hypocrisy on the subject is worth doing of course.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Are you kidding? Republicans wasted no opportunity to disrespect Obama, including calling him a liar while he was addressing Congress and denying the very legitimacy of his presidency by calling his Hawaiian birth a lie. They denied him a Supreme Court appointment, as well as many other judicial appointments.

In short, they played very, very dirty. I see no reason why Democratic politicians should do no less. And criticism of Trump for this is by no means playing dirty.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To sum up: there is nothing requiring Trump to return a salute. Neither is there anything indicating that he should not. This is a non-story.
It was a non-story before the right wingers set the new standard by pissing and moaning about similar (albeit lesser) acts by Obama. They don't get a free pass on having what they put around come back around.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
To sum up: there is nothing requiring Trump to return a salute. Neither is there anything indicating that he should not. This is a non-story.
I mostly agree with you except that he was apparently advised not to return any salutes from the North Koreans, and he did so anyway, showing yet again that he conducts the duties of his office entirely through buffoonish improvisation. Not that we needed any more evidence of this mind you, but it is one more data point. It also adds to the general pattern of Trump admiring and praising dictators while snubbing allied democracies. Again, yeah, we didn't need more evidence of that. But there it is. I wouldn't call it a non-story, but a story that is easily eclipsed by all the other crazy shit that Trump does in any given day.

ETA: I wish Presidents would stop saluting anyone at any time, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

Last edited by Bayard; 06-15-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:30 PM

I really can't get too upset about Trump's possible spur of the moment breach of protocol. The only target I think is worthy of wagging a finger based on this, are those conservatives who are defending who had previously about Obama's supposed protocol breaches.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I really can't get too upset about Trump's possible spur of the moment breach of protocol. The only target I think is worthy of wagging a finger based on this, are those conservatives who are defending who had previously about Obama's supposed protocol breaches.
You forgot TanSuitGate,
I wonder what King thinks of Trump's overlong tie and Russian-like suit fit?
Old 06-15-2018, 03:45 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
So apparently it is not a serious issue. Fine, it doesn't ruffle my feathers any. But- what would the Republican reaction have been if Obama had saluted North Korean officers? I'll tell you- they would have been protests outside the White House, calls for impeachment, accusations of disrespecting the troops and the Korean war dead, and so on.
This is, I believe, very much correct.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
In the USCG (and probably the USN because they copy everything the CG does)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I think you got that backwards, shipmate.
Yes he did, but Iíma let it slide because it was hilarious.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:29 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
This is, I believe, very much correct.
To expand on what BobLibDem said: I agree completely that if Obama, as President, had done exactly what Trump did -- returned the salute of a North Korean general at an NK diplomatic summit -- the Republican punditry would have offered up even more pointed criticism than we're seeing now directed at Trump.

Because this is genuinely a non-issue, the criticism arises not from ire at the act, but a desire to score points against the actor. There were eight years of such criticisms directed against President Obama.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 AM

I think so as well. If Republicans hadn't spent the last eight years demonizing Obama for every shortcoming, real or imagined, we wouldn't see the hubbub over Donald's salute. I don't see Democrats milking this like Republicans couldn't let go of the tan suit or the "apology tour", the fuss will quickly fade and indeed I don't think Democrats have really made that big a deal about it.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
To expand on what BobLibDem said: I agree completely that if Obama, as President, had done exactly what Trump did -- returned the salute of a North Korean general at an NK diplomatic summit -- the Republican punditry would have offered up even more pointed criticism than we're seeing now directed at Trump.

Because this is genuinely a non-issue, the criticism arises not from ire at the act, but a desire to score points against the actor. There were eight years of such criticisms directed against President Obama.
I dunno. As a former Navy man and a bit of a prescriptivist wrt proper saluting protocol, Iím still kinda annoyed about Reagan having returned salutes. Also about the embrace of the habit by subsequent POTUSes (POTI? ). However, I do like to tell myself that Clinton and Obama would have happily eschewed the practice were it not for the likelihood of disingenuous pearl-clutching excoriations from disingenuous right-wing reactionary pearl-clutchers.