Old 02-25-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
SPOILER:
Does anyone know, to romance Liara does one have to had remained faithful to her in ME2? I romanced Tali before the Shadow Broker DLC even was a thing.
The dev team said that
SPOILER:
there will be 'consequences' for cheating in ME3. I can't remember if you can get the romance ending to LOTSB if you romance someone else. I don't have a lot of time today to do it, but on my main Shepard Jack is one conversation away from completing a romance - accidentally I might add, just because I was nice to her. I even said early on I wasn't interested! Yet one convo later she's up to the captain's quaters. Liara's my LI so if you want I can complete the paragon Jack romance, then see if I can reconcile with Liara in LOTSB. I know she does make several snide comments about new LIs if your previously romanced her.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 AM

Jeesh, I'm replaying both in preparation but ME1 is... ugh. Don't get me wrong, the story is great (though not as great as in ME2), but the combat is tedious. I'm a level 60 adept so I can basically just mez everyone in the room, and then choose to either twiddle my thumbs or sniper rifle.

I've determined that Insanity is in no way "hard mode," no, it's "long mode." I've played insanity before, and I don't think I'll do it again on any subsequent playthroughs. There's nothing fun about it, the only things that change are --

1. If the RNG screws you (i.e. a commando fires a rocket JUUUUST at the right time, or a Thresher Maw pops up at JUUUST the right spot), you die. Reload your save.

2. Assuming 1 doesn't occur (very likely), you are free to pump bullets into the enemy with no fear of repercussions (provided you have a biotic on your team at least). However,

3. You will begin to thank the gods for Geth and Rachni because they are not pirates, mercenaries, (non-asari) commandos etc. Why do you begin to hate those? Because they use indomitable (I call it "popping white"). As soon as you see that white health bar you know the fight is going to take forever. You won't lose, it won't be harder, you just have to sit there and wait. Oh, sure, you may be able to get ONE if warp is off cooldown, but not all of them.

4. Mako fights are tedious, "pop over mountain, use missile, hide and wait for recharge, repeat"

I've taken to using the KillCurrentTarget console command in white health bar cases on the pretense of "look, you know I won, I know I won, everyone in the room is stunlocked with singularity -- let's not drag this out."

I really do like it, but the sidequests get SO tedious because of those issues. I forgot that, for all its odd changes (heat clips), ME2 was overall a vast, vast improvement over the original.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 AM

If you are replaying just to refresh your memory/ story choices, I would think you would go Easy mode not hard.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
If you are replaying just to refresh your memory/ story choices, I would think you would go Easy mode not hard.
Ditto. Since I had catastrophic XBOX 360 hard drive failure, I'm going to have to replay both of the games to get the hidden save files back so that my decisions carry through.

I've gotten through both games on Insane, and have the achievements for it. So it's time to play it on easy just to get through the things again. (I've played each of them twice already before.)

And yeah, insanity on ME1 is annoying because you can get one-shot killed by a lucky shot. (Yeah, that Thresher Maw RNG is rather ridiculous.)

Insanity on ME2 only gets annoying in few boss fights, usually when the scions and harbinger on both teamed up to knock you out of cover. Of course, the fight on Horizon where you fight the two scions and legions of husks is pretty much one of the most difficult fights out there. (Most other boss fights on insanity rely on skill with a decent amount of luck.) Because the husks surround you and kick you out of cover while the scions are just wailing on you.

Of course, you can actually take out the scions in that fight without ever triggering the husks if you edge yourself slightly into that room, but don't leave the steps. While you can't actually "target" the scions from that distance with your warp, you will still hit them. And because you can't target them, they can't target you. And all you miss out on is a minor cutscene that introduces the husk legions.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM

I never did ME2 above normal because I heard it gimps adepts something fierce (which is what I main). Did they fix that in a patch, or was that lies to begin with? If it's not true I may do my first ME2 insanity run.

Last edited by Jragon; 03-01-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
FemShep's new look is due to a competition BioWare held on Facebook, they uploaded a load of faces and the one with the most likes was the winner. I prefered blonde FemShep myself, looked like my super-paragon engineer war hero Shep.

Um...I meant to say recent video game history. Yeah.

Incidentally, Ash and Kaiden look a lot better than they did in ME1, Ash in particular. Anyone notice the
SPOILER:
Spectre
insignia on their armour?
I think Ash looks weird. No ponytail? Not the Ashley I know and love!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 AM

Mass Effect 2 is the only game I've got all the achievements (inc DLC) for and without a doubt Insanity was the hardest to get. The Collector Ship in particular ripped me a new one, I had to use an online video walkthrough to see how Adapts do it. Only took Miranda and Grunt out with me, unless it was for a loyalty mission.

Some trailers to whet your appetite for next week:
Take Back Earth Cinematic Trailer
Live Action Trailer
Reinstated (FemShep trailer) featuring Miranda and Samara!
Interactive Storytelling
Enemies
Against All Odds - Reaper Crawler vs Thresher Maw!
Voice Cast

Btw Jragon, if romance a ME2 character then get back together with Liara in LOTSB the game acts as if you're romancing both; how this will play out in ME3 is anyone's guess. My guess is epic catfight.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I never did ME2 above normal because I heard it gimps adepts something fierce (which is what I main). Did they fix that in a patch, or was that lies to begin with? If it's not true I may do my first ME2 insanity run.
The only possible thing that I can think of is that on the higher difficulties every enemy will have a second layer of defense (shields, armor, barrier). Don't a number of adept powers require you to get rid of shields first to be effective?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:07 PM

I hate Origin's shipping notification e-mails. I got one yesterday letting me know that my copy of ME3 Collector's Edition had shipped.

Well, to be precise, it said that "Mass Effect" had shipped. Considering the cost listed in the e-mail and that I kept the preorder e-mail from back in August or whenever it was that I ordered it, I'm 99% sure they're actually sending me what I ordered.

The e-mail also listed my name, shipping address, and a tracking number. No hint as to what carrier was shipping the game (turned out to be UPS), nothing else useful. I can't confirm my order on the Origin website as there is no order history tied to your account. I can't confirm it via the Origin client as it won't display anything you ordered a material copy of until you actually install the thing. And this means I can't even pre-load the game like people who pre-ordered the downloadable version.

I mean, really. I promised them $85 freaking dollars several months ago - and I waffle about paying $0.99 for an unknown iPhone game - and I get a misleading, barely useful e-mail that only tells me after hunting down the carrier that they claim to have printed a shipping label, and maybe in a day or so I'll find out when my game (presumably the one I actually ordered) might actually ship. Shoddy work, EA. I wish Bioware didn't feel they'd had to make that deal with the devil.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 03-03-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 AM

I'm having a blast with my Adept on ME2 insanity. I mean, no chance I'm getting it done before ME3 is out, and I have minor complaints here and there, but it's a lot more fun than it was on normal. Granted, I haven't even fought my first collASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL yet, so my opinion may change.

Last edited by Jragon; 03-05-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I'm having a blast with my Adept on ME2 insanity. I mean, no chance I'm getting it done before ME3 is out, and I have minor complaints here and there, but it's a lot more fun than it was on normal. Granted, I haven't even fought my first collASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL yet, so my opinion may change.
Just wait til Horizon, hoy boy. Take Miranda and Grunt (substitute Garrus when fighting geth). Two words - warp spam.

Can't believe it's out tomorrow for you guys. I think I'll be avoiding any mention of ME3 altogether until I get my hands on it on Friday.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM

The Launch Trailer.

Highlights:
Garrus being a bro.
Admiral Hackett. Fifth fleet out.
The Illusive Man being... illusive. Shepard's response? "Go to hell!"
A snippet of a love scene. Looks like Ash to me, might be that new reporter.
The Destiny Ascension back in action. Glad I saved it in ME1.
The quarian Migrant Fleet fighting geth ships.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 AM

I have supposed Release Day Delivery through Amazon but it hasn't shipped yet. I went through this same rigmarole with Skyrim and I got it right on time but yet I still would feel better seeing Shipping Soon at least. Amazon, why do you vex me so?!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 AM

I preordered in August. I have two day shipping. It's still not going to get to me, according to Amazon, until the 9th. Goddamn. Well... at least I have a week of vacation starting at the end of work in the 9th.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 AM

UPS's tracking for my Origin order still just says that a shipping label was printed on the 2nd, and that it's going via 2nd Day Air. It's said that since their E-mail from Friday. (Oh, I notice their unhelpful E-mail also mentions that I did pre-order on July 23rd. You thought to mention that but not tell me what carrier you're shipping via, or even confirm the exact game I bought. Gosh, EA is just firing on all cylinders.) So I guess there's still a chance of timely shipping.

I don't know why Amazon would be shipping late - apparently ME3 "went gold" early or exactly on time, so you'd think they'd have the games promptly.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 03-05-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Crap. I just realized, unless UPS just didn't update their website, I'm not getting it tomorrow with "2nd Day" shipping as an option. Bastards.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I think I'll be avoiding any mention of ME3 altogether until I get my hands on it on Friday.
I'll be trying to avoid spoilers for the next 12-18 months or however long it takes for the price to drop to $20 or so.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I'll be trying to avoid spoilers for the next 12-18 months or however long it takes for the price to drop to $20 or so.
I didn't play either ME or ME2 for the first time until early last year, as I didn't have a computer that could play them until then. So I totally understand the feeling.

And I may have to retract my hatred of EA - suddenly UPS has the shipment in Kentucky and supposedly will have the game to me by the end of the day tomorrow. Which means that really isn't 2nd Day Air, or UPS just didn't bother to do any tracking updates until now.

I still hate their barely-informative shipping notification E-mail.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

When can I start downloading the game?

ETA: Never mind. It is downloading now....can't wait.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 03-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
And I may have to retract my hatred of EA
Yah, Amazon claims that my order is about to ship. Which mean if they get it in the mail to me today, that it'll get to me by Wednesday with 2-day-shipping. Could be worse. It also means that I'm glad I've got my kids taking practice TAKS this week, because I will get fuckall done in terms of work at home.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Adepts have it easier against Collectors than most other enemy types. The Collector's defenses are all armor and barrier, and Warp spam deals with both quite handily.

I never understood the "Adepts are screwed on higher difficulty" perception with ME2. I mean, sure, you don't immediately insta-kill everything like you do on Normal, but none of the classes do. Even the infiltrator's amped-up heavy sniper rifle has to plug away at the extra defenses. If anybody's screwed, it's the Vanguard. Charge is a bit suicidal!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 PM

I hope you're not too attached to how your custom Commander Shepard face looks, because the import function seems to not be able to handle bringing in the faces on ANY of my completed saves from ME2. Oh, they import the decisions and such (like who you boinked, did you save the rachni, give the base to the IM or blow it up, etc) but then throw up some crap about how they couldn't bring in the face and bam, there's the default face looking sappily up at me. You can then go ahead and remake your custom face (or try anyway) just like if you were making a new character, but damnit, this is quite inexcusable after ME2 had no problem at all importing these same exact faces from ME1 saves.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
I hope you're not too attached to how your custom Commander Shepard face looks, because the import function seems to not be able to handle bringing in the faces on ANY of my completed saves from ME2. Oh, they import the decisions and such (like who you boinked, did you save the rachni, give the base to the IM or blow it up, etc) but then throw up some crap about how they couldn't bring in the face and bam, there's the default face looking sappily up at me. You can then go ahead and remake your custom face (or try anyway) just like if you were making a new character, but damnit, this is quite inexcusable after ME2 had no problem at all importing these same exact faces from ME1 saves.
Argh! Does it use the same face codes so you can just put those in (although you'd think it would be able to do that itself)?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Apparently the problem is that imported ME1 faces don't generate a code, so you're screwed if you want to import a ME1 face in to ME3. Fortunately there's a convoluted way to get a face code from an ME1 import into ME2 for input into ME3, although even then it's not perfect. Jesus. H. Superchrist, I want my squinty-eyed stubbly Shepard back dammit! I'll have to dig out a USB drive...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Apparently the problem is that imported ME1 faces don't generate a code, so you're screwed if you want to import a ME1 face in to ME3. Fortunately there's a convoluted way to get a face code from an ME1 import into ME2 for input into ME3, although even then it's not perfect. Jesus. H. Superchrist, I want my squinty-eyed stubbly Shepard back dammit! I'll have to dig out a USB drive...
So a face that started in ME1 and went to ME2 is no good? Oh well...I bet I could make her prettier. I was not very good at it back in ME1 days.

I asked this up thread but since the game is out now I will ask again: do you have to import saves from both ME1 and ME2 or does your ME2 save contain your ME1 choices also?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 AM

Your ME2 save files reflect your old ME1 saves. I have problem getting some saves over - it looks like if you played with DLCs, you have to install them, along with ME2, for those saves to show up. Gah.

Got the game 6 hours earlier through Origins. Is it just me but are the facial animations not as good as before? James look so stiff. And I am so not used to the angsty Shephard.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 AM

Argh! I freaking hate Origin!

My ME2 saves are in Steam and Origin does not see it. Not sure how to get my save over to Origin.

Further, I purchased this off of Amazon and cannot find a way to get my bonus pre-order weapon into the game.

Anyone have any ideas? Hate to get too far into the game before this gets sorted out.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:06 AM

[QUOTE=Whack-a-Mole;14840074]Further, I purchased this off of Amazon and cannot find a way to get my bonus pre-order weapon into the game.[QUOTE]

Ok...got weapon in. Still wondering about my ME2 character though.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How did you get the bonus weapon?

Also, they changed the ammo system yet again.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Argh! I freaking hate Origin!

My ME2 saves are in Steam and Origin does not see it. Not sure how to get my save over to Origin.

Further, I purchased this off of Amazon and cannot find a way to get my bonus pre-order weapon into the game.

Anyone have any ideas? Hate to get too far into the game before this gets sorted out.
It's in the readme.txt (I tore my hair out on this too). Go to My Documents, find the BioWare folder, create a folder called "Mass Effect 2" inside it and another folder called "Save" inside it, and copy all the old saves over.

Basically, copy all your old saves from the Steam directory to C:\My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect 2\Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post

Also, they changed the ammo system yet again.
Did they? It's still the ammo clip from ME2 right?

Last edited by Crowbar of Irony +3; 03-06-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 AM

I hate you guys. Iäm in Germany and have no access to a gaming PC....

Please dont kill all the reapers without me!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Pre-ordering from various vendors gave various pre-order bonuses.

In my case I pre-ordered from Amazon so got a bonus weapon.

Nice but not a big deal really. You can certainly get on fine without it.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar of Irony +3 View Post
And I am so not used to the angsty Shephard.
I'll be OK with that, I think. Shepard's been through an awful lot, and some change from the usual superhuman is to be expected.

My copy of the collector's edition showed up in Chicago after midnight and was put on a truck to probably go to the local distribution center an hour ago, according to UPS. If this plays like shit on my computer, I am going to be so disappointed.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar of Irony +3 View Post
Your ME2 save files reflect your old ME1 saves. I have problem getting some saves over - it looks like if you played with DLCs, you have to install them, along with ME2, for those saves to show up. Gah.

Got the game 6 hours earlier through Origins. Is it just me but are the facial animations not as good as before? James look so stiff. And I am so not used to the angsty Shephard.
Thank you for the confirmation. I didn't want to have to dig up my old ME1 save folder.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 AM

Last night Amazon said "shipping soon," so I figured we might be SOL for getting it today, but this morning it says it went out for delivery at 7am!

Those who are playing already - did they tweak the movement at all? In the demo walk was sooo slow, but storm was difficult to control.

Crowbar of Irony +3, I thought in the demo the characters looked stiffer too. Less natural facial movement and more of that CGI feeling of weightlessness. Maybe they tried to do some more advanced animation, but it wound up not looking as nice as the simpler techniques in ME2? It's also possible I've romanticized ME2 in my mind, since I got so sucked into the story and my character!

Now, what can I do with these children while I spend every waking moment playing . . .
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=Whack-a-Mole;14840091][QUOTE=Whack-a-Mole;14840074]Further, I purchased this off of Amazon and cannot find a way to get my bonus pre-order weapon into the game.
Quote:

Ok...got weapon in. Still wondering about my ME2 character though.
Can I ask how you got it? I DL lastnight and only puttered around a little bit before work this morning, but I got a code for the gun, but haven't figured out where to get it.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 AM

The problem with carrying over faces also apparently extends to a ME2 New Game+, which doesn't save a face code for import into ME3.

However, I can confirm that if you follow the steps listed on the above link to the BioWare forums you can get yourself a code for your ME1 face - just recreated my Shep in ME2's Lazarus Project facial reconstruction; identical to my original with a few tweaks (hair, hair colour and nose mostly needed work to make things exact). Assuming that you can just pop the face code in to ME3's face generator you should be good to go.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28
Can I ask how you got it? I DL lastnight and only puttered around a little bit before work this morning, but I got a code for the gun, but haven't figured out where to get it.
You have to do it out of the game in the Origin screen where your games are displayed. I forget now exactly what I did...right-clicked on the ME3 card in the Origin screen or something like that (poke around...you should stumble across it). It is the place that lists any DLC you have for the game.

Once there I told it I had a code, pasted the code in and it accepted and downloaded the new content on the spot. The gun is so minor (content-wise) that the download finished about 1 second after it started for that.

Whoever you pre-ordered from should have given you a code for the DLC pre-order bonus.

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 03-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks, I ordered from Amazon, I have the code, but couldn't figure out where to enter it. I'll either wait until I get home, or just quit my job and go try it now. I'll call my wife and see which she thinks is best.

Also, I can't get the digital artwork to DL, did you have that problem? I figured that maybe the servers were overloaded.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:20 PM

I have the game in my hot little hands! Thank you UPS! I shall be installing posthaste!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Oo, online tracking says mine was left at my front door 20 minutes ago. If it plays as well as the demo did in terms of system performance, I'll be thrilled.

(*squee!*)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Looks like there was some concerted effort by 4chan or someone to smear Mass Effect 3 on Metacritic.

I admit I am no fan of EA, I hate Origin and release day DLC is particularly annoying but still...the game should be judged on its merits. Slam EA separately if you want.

So far I am not finding this the equal of ME2 but I am only barely in the game yet so will wait and see.

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 03-06-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I love the new EDI.

ETA: But I still can't figure out how to get any bonus weapon. I pre-ordered through Origin.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 03-06-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I love the new EDI.

ETA: But I still can't figure out how to get any bonus weapon. I pre-ordered through Origin.
Check the E-mail address you used; I pre-ordered a material copy and got an e-mail today with unlock codes for an assault rifle and a shotgun pack. You click the "cog" icon on the Origin client and plug the codes into the "redeem promo code" option.

Almost done installing; I finished getting those weapons (instant downloads), the Collector's edition materials, and the soundtrack, and right now it's working on the From Ashes DLC.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 03-06-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I was able to transfer my PC saves to the XBox, which saves me quite a lot of hassle. I also see that when I'm ready to replay Mass Effect 2, I can skip resource gathering all together. Whooo! Twice is enough for that bullshit.

So far, it's pretty neat. I'm thrilled to see that I can effectively backstab by going invisible and using the melee attacks -- which substantially enhances the joy of playing the Infiltrator. Now that I realize this, I think I need to restart so I can respec myself to take better advantage.

Shepherd's face seems to have something to do with what I actually put into the modeller, but even in the Squad screen I see a different face from what appears in actual gameplay and cutscenes. I don't know what the deal is with that.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 PM

Played the prologue and I am loving it. I wish there was a paper manual because I like to keep the page open with the controls in front of me but eventually I will get reused to the controls.

The worst part of playing Mass Effect is getting used to using the space bar to do everything and then when you switch back to other games you have to adjust back.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
So far, it's pretty neat. I'm thrilled to see that I can effectively backstab by going invisible and using the melee attacks -- which substantially enhances the joy of playing the Infiltrator. Now that I realize this, I think I need to restart so I can respec myself to take better advantage.
There is no need to restart - simply go to the med bay and click on one of the terminal to respec any squad member. The first time is free but after that you have pay. It's 5000 credits the first time, and +5000 each time after the first.

I have been playing co-op, to boost the War Readiness rating for my game. It is starting to grow on me, actually, but I still think tying multi-player to War Readiness is a rather arm-twisting method to get people to play it.

Last edited by Crowbar of Irony +3; 03-07-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 AM

Only problem I have with how the story is set up is every side quest I take is going to make me feel like I am indirectly murdering thousands of people on Earth by allowing the attack to continue longer than it needed to.

Now what's this about War Readiness? What if I don't want to play multiplayer? Will I be doomed to fail at the end?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Joker and EDI are pure gold, as expected. "Know about it? I would have baked a cake!"
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM

I assume at some point I can walk around the ship, look at my fish tank and change my appearance? I'm still very early in the game where every step is scripted and all I want to do is walk around the Normandy a little bit.