Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #801  
Old 01-26-2019, 11:10 PM
kambuckta kambuckta is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vic, Australia.
Posts: 9,836
WTF is this thread even about anymore?

Folks sucking madly onto their partisan options, Huey taking giant dumps on folks left AND right, and those trying to make reasoned posts are just pissing into the wind.

Is this SDMB 2019? I don't like it, at all.
  #802  
Old 01-26-2019, 11:21 PM
Evil Economist Evil Economist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
WTF is this thread even about anymore?

Folks sucking madly onto their partisan options, Huey taking giant dumps on folks left AND right, and those trying to make reasoned posts are just pissing into the wind.

Is this SDMB 2019? I don't like it, at all.
Are you at all aware that you're in the Pit? It's the people making "reasoned posts" who are the threadshitters.
__________________
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
  #803  
Old 01-26-2019, 11:30 PM
kambuckta kambuckta is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vic, Australia.
Posts: 9,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
Are you at all aware that you're in the Pit? It's the people making "reasoned posts" who are the threadshitters.
Dude, even for the pit it's a fucken cesspool.

Sure, 'reason' and 'pit' are normally mutually exclusive, but FFS, this thread could go on for bloody YEARS the rate things are going.

Is this what the SDMB has become? And don't give me some shit that it's always been this way. The quality of argument has deteriorated substantially in the last couple of years, coincidentally since the advent of Donald and his shitsuckers who infest this board.

Then you chuck in Huey and it morphs into something REALLY disgusting. Fuck.
  #804  
Old 01-26-2019, 11:33 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Sure, 'reason' and 'pit' are normally mutually exclusive, but FFS, this thread could go on for bloody YEARS the rate things are going.
No, just until America stops being racist.
  #805  
Old 01-27-2019, 04:00 AM
SlackerInc SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,970
WTF
  #806  
Old 01-27-2019, 08:25 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 40,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
WTF is this thread even about anymore?

Folks sucking madly onto their partisan options, Huey taking giant dumps on folks left AND right, and those trying to make reasoned posts are just pissing into the wind.

Is this SDMB 2019? I don't like it, at all.
I've certainly lost interest in this thread, due to the participation of a couple of real dingdongs. But that's happened to the occasional thread ever since I first joined the board; and elsewhere, right now, there are some threads with some very solid discussion (plus a couple of real dingdongs).
  #807  
Old 01-27-2019, 08:29 AM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I don't think I've dealt with you before, so I only had a rough idea from other posters that you were, let's say not so bright and hyperpartisan. Congratulations, sir, because you blew my expectations away. I kinda suspected, but the depths of your ignorance is so vast, and your self-awareness so negligible that I'm actually kinda surprised. Walking while playing a hand drum is now harassment. The open mockery of it is perfectly acceptable. And the white, privileged teens who did it are the actual victims. My mind boggles at what it would actually take for you to not take your parties side on any issue.
That was pretty good!
  #808  
Old 01-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Huey Freeman Huey Freeman is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Dude, even for the pit it's a fucken cesspool.

Sure, 'reason' and 'pit' are normally mutually exclusive, but FFS, this thread could go on for bloody YEARS the rate things are going.

Is this what the SDMB has become? And don't give me some shit that it's always been this way. The quality of argument has deteriorated substantially in the last couple of years, coincidentally since the advent of Donald and his shitsuckers who infest this board.

Then you chuck in Huey and it morphs into something REALLY disgusting. Fuck.
Let me tell you something. I was minding my own fucking business in this thread before Guin came after me first . I'm not taking no fucking prisoners with you white supremacists. That ship has sailed a long time ago. I insist on treating these monsters - these carrion-eating vultures - the same way they treat me, and other people of color. Best believe that. If, for example, you came after me, I would ether (or in Guin's case, shether) you, too. Go on, try me. Notwithstanding this, out of respect for the thread and because my presence has become as distraction, this will be my last post in this thread; but I swear to God, if you don't want your resident 9th graders and your white supremacists (whom you love to protect) to get dogwalked, instruct them to keep my name (and that of my loved one's) out their motherfucking mouths. Let them know that if they don't start none, there won't be none.

Thanks

Last edited by Huey Freeman; 01-27-2019 at 10:35 AM.
  #809  
Old 01-27-2019, 10:59 AM
Paranoid Randroid's Avatar
Paranoid Randroid Paranoid Randroid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
Antidepressants and relationships don't mix. See this and this. Good luck, because you're going to need it your baggage. Your clock is running out. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Lest anyone get the impression that Huey Freeman reads the papers he cites (as opposed to picking the first links that look relevant in a Google Scholar search), note that the first paper shows that certain types of antidepressants have very little effect on feelings in relationships -- and for those that do have such an effect, it is reduced by *length of time in the relationship*.

The second paper says that the tested antidepressant can cause recipients to value trust more, and improve relationships by improving perception of balance in emotional engagement:

Quote:
In contrast, male and female participants treated with citalopram rated the partners as equally in love with one another. Imbalance in emotional engagement is often a painful experience, and one which tends to signal problematic power imbalances (Sprecher, 1986). These results suggest that enhanced serotonergic activity is associated with judgements of closer reciprocity in emotional commitment; a state likely to be valued in intimate relationships.
It also reduces the perceived importance of physical intimacy, but also "did not significantly diminish the rated quality of participants’ own physical relationships with their current partners compared to placebo."

Embarrassing.
  #810  
Old 01-27-2019, 11:21 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Randroid View Post
Embarrassing.
Someone may have to volunteer to feel the embarrassment on his behalf, he seems to lack the necessary machinery.




Not It.
  #811  
Old 01-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,242
He'll be back. People always say that, but they never mean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
How old are you?

Quote:
God, if you don't want your resident 9th graders and your white supremacists (whom you love to protect) to get dogwalked, instruct them to keep my name (and that of my loved one's) out their motherfucking mouths. Let them know that if they don't start none, there won't be none.

Thanks
Oh, the irony.

And nobody was talking about your loved ones. Someone's been whooshed, big time.

As for your comments on my personal life, it's none of your business, what I do in my private time. Suffice to say, you know jackshit about mental illness, anxiety and depression. You're just a vile, hateful creature.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 01-27-2019 at 12:43 PM.
  #812  
Old 01-27-2019, 01:39 PM
Huey Freeman Huey Freeman is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Randroid View Post
Lest anyone get the impression that Huey Freeman reads the papers he cites (as opposed to picking the first links that look relevant in a Google Scholar search), note that the first paper shows that certain types of antidepressants have very little effect on feelings in relationships -- and for those that do have such an effect, it is reduced by *length of time in the relationship*.

The second paper says that the tested antidepressant can cause recipients to value trust more, and improve relationships by improving perception of balance in emotional engagement:

It also reduces the perceived importance of physical intimacy, but also "did not significantly diminish the rated quality of participants’ own physical relationships with their current partners compared to placebo."

Embarrassing.
(bolding mine)

Even when I offer the leave the fucking thread, you vultures just can't help yourself in trying to sideswipe me on my way out of the door. The only thing that is embarrassing is your cherry picking. The devil effect is real. Now, it's your turn. Yes, the authors showed that anti-depressants increased feelings of mutual trust but it also decreased feelings of intimacy. This is laid out for you in the abstract, Figure 4, and in the supplemental figures. Because I know ya'll either can't read or hungry to prove me wrong, I'll walk you through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
Participants also indicated the importance of relationship features in their own close partnerships, and close partnerships generally. Citalopram reduced the rated quality of couples’ physical relationships and the importance attributed to physical and intimate aspects of participants’ own relationships. In contrast, citalopram also enhanced the evaluated worth of mutual trust in relationships
Translation: The authors find citalopram treatment decreased feelings of intimacy and a "good physical relationship" (the authors words) while increasing feelings of mutual trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figure 4
Participants who received citalopram ranked ‘mutual trust’ as more important in relationships than did participants who received placebo (median rank: 2 vs 1) (Figure 4), U = 114.00, P = 0.033. Citalopram-treated participants also tended to rank a relationship’s capacity to ‘endure’ as more important compared with the placebo-treated participants (median rank: 9 vs 7), U = 123.00, P = 0.061. In In contrast, the citalopram-treated participants ranked ‘intimacy’ as generally less important than the placebo-treated participants (median rank: 2 vs 4.5) (Figure 4), U = 104.00, P = 0.015.
Translation: The authors find citalopram treatment decreased feelings of intimacy and a "good physical relationship" (the authors words) while increasing feelings of mutual trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplementary Table 6
Citalopram-treated individuals rated ‘intimacy’ and a good ‘physical relationship’ as less important in their own relationship than placebo-treated participants (intimacy: 80.00 ± 2.11 vs 85.30 ± 2.19, respectively, F (1,35) = 4.36, P = 0.044; physical relationship: 72.95 ± 3.28 vs 81.10 ± 2.22, respectively, F (1,35) = 4.49, P = 0.041) (Supplementary Table 6).
Translation: The authors find citalopram treatment decreased feelings of intimacy and a "good physical relationship" (the authors words) while increasing feelings of mutual trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplementary Data
...the ratings of reduced importance of 'intimacy' in participants' current partnerships provided by participants treated with citalopram compared to placebo (noted in the main text) remained significant after controlling for the effects of individuals’ attachment styles, β=0.473, p=0.047. Individuals classified as having low self-esteem in their attachment style rated a good 'physical relationship' as less important in their current relationship, β=-0.466, p=0.004. However, the reduced ratings of the importance of a good physical relationship with current significant partners among individuals treated with citalopram (noted in the main text) remained near-significant after controlling for the effects of attachment style, β=-0.381, p=0.089.
Translation: The authors find citalopram treatment decreased feelings of intimacy and a "good physical relationship" (the authors words) while increasing feelings of mutual trust.

Now, to your point (which I bolded above and below). You deliberately failed to include the information from the authors putting this sentence in context. Why would you do that? Why wouldn't you quote that paragraph in full where the authors give context to that sentence? Why cherry pick like that just to claim victory? It's cool, I'll do it for you. Let me quote the entire paragraph in full without your cherry-picking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discussion
However, in this experiment, citalopram did not significantly diminish the rated quality of participants’ own physical relationships with their current partners compared to placebo. Given that our protocol involved a relatively brief, 8-day treatment period, it is possible that the effects of citalopram administration upon participants’ sexual activity with their own partners had not yet fully emerged (Montejo et al., 2010), but that the rCAT ratings were sufficiently sensitive to detect subtle alterations in inter-personal cognitions about sexual activity. Alternatively, participants may have felt uncomfortable reporting changes in their sexual relationships in our assessments. If so, ‘indirect’ instruments, such as the ratings of the rCAT, may be more successful in tapping sensitive areas of relationship function than direct questioning.
Translation: While the treated patients did not report decreased quality of their sex lives with their partners, the authors found specific limitations related to this point. These limitations included brief treatment time and sensitivity in asking questions about one's sex life. The authors surmise that the utilization of indirect methods to probe the participants' sex life rather than direct questioning would be more "successful in tapping sensitive areas of relationship function".

Now, sit down. Your puzzle pieces are calling you.

ETA: Guin, I see you responded but I've decided wave the white (lol) flag and leave you the fuck alone. For what it's worth, I take no pleasure in ragging on females. Ya'll get enough of that shit from white men. For your sake and to keep the peace, I encourage you to do the same and leave me the fuck alone. As I stated before, don't start none, there won't be none.

Thanks.

Last edited by Huey Freeman; 01-27-2019 at 01:43 PM.
  #813  
Old 01-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 38,385
Quote:
...if you don't want your resident 9th graders and your white supremacists (whom you love to protect) to get dogwalked, instruct them to keep my name (and that of my loved one's) out their motherfucking mouths.
I'm guessing that you don't see the irony in this.

Regards,
Shodan
  #814  
Old 01-27-2019, 02:06 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
For what it's worth, I take no pleasure in ragging on females.
I was not involved on this side discussion, but me and many others can't believe that.
  #815  
Old 01-27-2019, 02:11 PM
griffen2 griffen2 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
ETA: Guin, I see you responded but I've decided wave the white (lol) flag and leave you the fuck alone. For what it's worth, I take no pleasure in ragging on females.
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sure you don't.

Quote:
Ya'll get enough of that shit from white men. For your sake and to keep the peace, I encourage you to do the same and leave me the fuck alone.
If you're under the impression your posts do anything other than remind us all what a shit head you are then you're sorely mistaken.

Quote:
As I stated before, don't start none, there won't be none.
Given how comprehensively you keep getting your ass handed to you, this sentiment may be better expressed as "Don't start none, because it's not nice to pick on retards."

Last edited by griffen2; 01-27-2019 at 02:13 PM.
  #816  
Old 01-27-2019, 02:16 PM
griffen2 griffen2 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 259
Quote:
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sure you don't.
btw, I did a quick search to see how many times you'd used the words 'hoe' and/or 'thot'.

The answer? 23.

10% of your posts contain at least one explicitly misogynistic slur. But yeah. You don't hate women.
  #817  
Old 01-27-2019, 02:39 PM
Paranoid Randroid's Avatar
Paranoid Randroid Paranoid Randroid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
he only thing that is embarrassing is your cherry picking.
*My* cherry picking? Dude, you've already shown a tendency not to read what you cite. History -- and the papers in question -- are on my side. BTW, you *did* read the second paper you cited, right? The one that's not open access? You wouldn't cite a paper you didn't read, surely.

Quote:
Translation: The authors find citalopram treatment decreased feelings of intimacy and a "good physical relationship" (the authors words) while increasing feelings of mutual trust.
No, you ignorant nincompoop, that is NOT a translation. The right translation would be this, if you need me to spell it out for you in detail. By "Citalopram reduced the rated quality of couples’ physical relationships" the authors meant that the participants rated the quality of OTHER PEOPLE'S PHYSICAL RELATIONSHIPS, not their own. They showed a reduction in importance attributed to their own physical relationship, but that's not necessarily a positive or negative.

Quote:
Translation: The authors find citalopram treatment decreased feelings of intimacy and a "good physical relationship" (the authors words) while increasing feelings of mutual trust.
Also an extremely misleading "translation". Participants attributed less importance to physical intimacy; nowhere did the authors say that participants had decreased feelings of having a "good physical relationship".

In fact, that pretty much applies to ALL your quotes from the paper. Here's a clue-by-four, buddy: seeing less importance in the physical aspect of your relationship (and more importance in trust) does not. necessarily. mean. you. have. a. bad. relationship.

And as for your last quote ... the authors are giving a story about what MAY be happening to confound results. You can't reasonably draw anything from that except that the paper has limitations. This absolutely does NOT support you using it as an "antidepressant use is bad for relationships" hammer to somebody's figurative balls.
  #818  
Old 01-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
...You'd think the guy trying to deny being a racist shithole would at least try to come off as a decent human being. Instead, you're slowly making sure that anyone who thought there was anything good in you realize who you really are. ...
That's the point of that account, I think. To claim to be a member of a particular demographic group, and smear the reputations of all in that group by being unremittingly nasty, unfair, and wrong (as with the writer's apparently deliberate mis-characterization of the research on depression, as just demonstrated by PR in this thread).

Quote:
One of the most effective ways to plant barriers between whites and people of color is to tell white people that they cannot get this right. Familiar themes include:
  • white people CANNOT understand people of color---no matter what efforts they make to do so
  • white people may believe they aren't racist but they, by definition, are racist
  • white people CANNOT rectify wrongs perpetrated in the past
  • white people are all alike (invariably in some uncomplimentary way, such as 'being
    without empathy')
  • white people may believe they have acted in ways that will be helpful to black people, such as voting black people into political office--but that action is, somehow, harmful to people of color
  • white people are simply incapable of being anything other than unfair and unjust
...and so on.

This works to divide left-leaning white people and people of color by implanting in white people the suspicion that people of color have fixed prejudices about them and nothing will change their minds---and implanting in people of color the exact same view of white people. Thus, groups of the left are less likely to work together effectively, and individuals who might otherwise make useful contributions toward leftist goals, will be too dispirited, angry or otherwise preoccupied to do so.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...6#post21427216

The writer is doing a pretty good job of it, too. Should put in for a bonus, if working for wages. But of course the writer might be doing this out of ideological fervor, and not for pay at all.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 01-27-2019 at 05:32 PM. Reason: bullet point coding
  #819  
Old 01-27-2019, 05:35 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,958
Huey, some of these folks have been engaged in this character assassination, cliquishness, and rude behavior for over 20 years and over multiple message boards. They’ve been having the same fights and the same toxic behavior for longer than you’ve been alive. You can’t kill, metaphorically speaking, that which has no life.

On topic, how many pages will a thread attacking a teen because of non-approved hat and non group think run?
  #820  
Old 01-27-2019, 05:39 PM
andros andros is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,514
"Here, on the fringes of the society, we see one underfed troll calling plaintively to another..."

/Attenborough
  #821  
Old 01-27-2019, 05:44 PM
k9bfriender k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
how many pages will a thread attacking a teen because of non-approved hat and non group think run?
How many pages will you attack a thread because people are saying things in it that you don't think they should be allowed to say?

Do we need to get your approval before we start threads from now on?

Exactly how much free speech are you looking to outlaw, in your quest to have speech without consequence?
  #822  
Old 01-27-2019, 06:13 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK CarnalK is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 16,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
. If, for example, you came after me, I would ether (or in Guin's case, shether) you, too. Go on, try me. Notwithstanding this, out of respect for the thread and because my presence has become as distraction, this will be my last post in this thread; but I swear to God, if you don't want your resident 9th graders and your white supremacists (whom you love to protect) to get dogwalked, instruct them to keep my name (and that of my loved one's) out their motherfucking mouths. Let them know that if they don't start none, there won't be none.

Thanks
I strongly suspect that you have an autistic child that you hate because you think your wife got pregnant by her white boss. But you can't be sure because your grandmother was white, so maybe that's where your child's lighter skin comes from? So now, rather than admit how much you hate your possibly illegitimate child, you just hate white people and blame autism on them.

Ths theory may be wrong but it seems to cover all the facts.
  #823  
Old 01-27-2019, 06:38 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
On topic, how many pages will a thread attacking a teen because of non-approved hat and non group think run?
I already did not agree with the OP concentrating on an specific kid, I did agree though with what even the Catholics in power in Kentucky are telling us.

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/op-...224984305.html
Quote:
Wearing a Trump hat? That’s not exactly pro-life, says Catholic Bishop John Stowe
Quote:
A perennial complaint from participants in the annual March for Life in Washington, D.C., is that the secular news media largely ignore this massive protest of the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision. In light of the viral news story of last weekend, of a group of Catholic high school students from Kentucky in a confrontation with a Native American elder after this year’s march, that claim no longer holds.
Quote:
As the leader of the Catholic Church in the 50 counties of Central and Eastern Kentucky, I join the Diocese of Covington and other Catholic leaders in apologizing in the wake of this incident.

Without engaging the discussion about the context of the viral video or placing the blame entirely on these adolescents, it astonishes me that any students participating in a pro-life activity on behalf of their school and their Catholic faith could be wearing apparel sporting the slogans of a president who denigrates the lives of immigrants, refugees and people from countries that he describes with indecent words and haphazardly endangers with life-threatening policies.
Quote:
These experiences can be found in the church’s dialogue with other religious traditions and the fact that our own congregations span across categories of race, nationality and immigration status. The church’s service to migrants and refugees can also help form these values in the next generation.

The pro-life movement claims that it wants more than the policy change of making abortion illegal, but aims to make it unthinkable. That would require deep changes in society and policies that would support those who find it difficult to afford children. The association of our young people with racist acts and a politics of hate must also become unthinkable.

The Rev. John Stowe is bishop of the Diocese of Lexington.
So, again, I do think that the ones that allowed or recommended the students to wear the paraphernalia of the MAGAT in chief still need to be dealt with. And for the kids to learn the proper lessons, IMHO it does not require expulsion or punishment. Unless it is shown that it was the students who decided that embracing the bigoted message and insulting behavior of a fake pro-lifer was a good idea.
  #824  
Old 01-27-2019, 07:31 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
How many pages will you attack a thread because people are saying things in it that you don't think they should be allowed to say?

Do we need to get your approval before we start threads from now on?

Exactly how much free speech are you looking to outlaw, in your quest to have speech without consequence?
Death threats and doxxing a teenager aren’t my ideas of free speech. It’s telling that that is what the left considers as acceptable “consequences.”
  #825  
Old 01-27-2019, 07:41 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Death threats and doxxing a teenager aren’t my ideas of free speech. It’s telling that that is what the left considers as acceptable “consequences.”
Again, nut-picking is not a convincing argument, I already have seen attempts at character assassinations coming from the right regarding Mr. Phillips and past history has shown that mostly some guys from the right do then fall to do likewise to people like Mr. Phillips (and lately most of the ones going beyond threats are coming from the right). Point being that indeed doing that to a teenager or to a Native American is not proper.

Now, having said that, that does not exculpate the trolling behavior and the lessons that should be learned.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 01-27-2019 at 07:44 PM.
  #826  
Old 01-27-2019, 07:45 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
That's the point of that account, I think. To claim to be a member of a particular demographic group, and smear the reputations of all in that group by being unremittingly nasty, unfair, and wrong (as with the writer's apparently deliberate mis-characterization of the research on depression, as just demonstrated by PR in this thread).

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...6#post21427216

The writer is doing a pretty good job of it, too. Should put in for a bonus, if working for wages. But of course the writer might be doing this out of ideological fervor, and not for pay at all.

Dude, I highly, highly doubt Huey is some kind of government agent sent to try and cause racial tensioin. He's just some jagoff troll -- the internet's full of them.

Remember, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.
  #827  
Old 01-27-2019, 11:19 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
Let me tell you something. I was minding my own fucking business in this thread before Guin came after me first .
Poor Huey. Like a little chihuahua's incessant yapping for attention - it can be novel at first but after a while it gets boring. You keep holding onto your victimhood as if it is the only thing of value you have to offer, otherwise you may be completely worthless.
  #828  
Old 01-27-2019, 11:48 PM
AHunter3 AHunter3 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
Damn, girl. At least I have a wife. At least I have a significant other. You, on the other hand, will remain alone and, eventually, die alone. You see, girlfriend, I'm not doped up on antidepressants nor do I have I spent over 6,900 hours on a fucking message board engaging in depressive behavior masquerading as an online "hobby". Tell me, Guinastasia. How long have you been on anti-depressants? Who exactly are you behind the drug? Do you even know who you are behind the mask of SSRIs? You don't even know who you are. You'll never find a man because you're emotionally needy, socially awkward, and bereft of intelligence beyond 9th grade. Because I kind of respect you as the one the senior cult-members here, let me give you a pro-tip. If you want a man, get yourself off the antidepressants, and see a psychologist to overcome your issues. Antidepressants and relationships don't mix. See this and this. Good luck, because you're going to need it your baggage. Your clock is running out. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.
Dude.

I am only intermittenly on the same wavelength as Guinastasia. I've been fucking pitted by Guinastasia and served up a helping of snark from time to time in other unmentionable environments. She's annoying, caustic, and ascerbic. But if you were of the morphological sexual preference that appeals to me and she were completely not, I'd 100 times rather spend time with her than have to endure you. She has the kind of dignity and cleverness and aplomb you can only in your wildest dreams pretend to, she bothers to think and consider on a level you don't seem to so much as aspire to, and she's human and at least cordially kind even to people she's in fervent disagreement with. I oughta know.

You're seriously fucked up and no one prefers you.
  #829  
Old 01-28-2019, 12:13 AM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,362
Why is anyone talking to this clown? He as much of a write-off as doorhinge is and Clothahump was.
  #830  
Old 01-28-2019, 12:17 AM
Evil Economist Evil Economist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Death threats and doxxing a teenager aren’t my ideas of free speech. It’s telling that that is what the left considers as acceptable “consequences.”
Until you have enough of a backbone to speak up when "your side" does that exact same thing (and also somewhat frequently murders people), perhaps you should go fuck yourself?
__________________
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
  #831  
Old 01-28-2019, 01:01 AM
octopus's Avatar
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
Until you have enough of a backbone to speak up when "your side" does that exact same thing (and also somewhat frequently murders people), perhaps you should go fuck yourself?
Is this an example of a bothsidesdoit fallacy?
  #832  
Old 01-28-2019, 01:24 AM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,242
Once again, to put this thread back on track, I'd still like to know where the fuck the adults were, and why they didn't step in before it got out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Dude.

I am only intermittenly on the same wavelength as Guinastasia. I've been fucking pitted by Guinastasia and served up a helping of snark from time to time in other unmentionable environments. She's annoying, caustic, and ascerbic. But if you were of the morphological sexual preference that appeals to me and she were completely not, I'd 100 times rather spend time with her than have to endure you. She has the kind of dignity and cleverness and aplomb you can only in your wildest dreams pretend to, she bothers to think and consider on a level you don't seem to so much as aspire to, and she's human and at least cordially kind even to people she's in fervent disagreement with. I oughta know.

You're seriously fucked up and no one prefers you.
Well thank you. FWIW, while we've had plenty of disagreements, you're a pretty cool guy.
  #833  
Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 AM
Evil Economist Evil Economist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Is this an example of a bothsidesdoit fallacy?
I'm not sure. Is that the phrase that describes how you lack the moral character to speak up when someone you share political beliefs with does something bad? Like, remember when you wouldn't speak out against a pedophile because he was a registered Republican?

No offense, but if you lack the moral character to speak out against pedophilia just because it's a Republican molesting the little girls, then you should probably go fuck yourself.
__________________
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
  #834  
Old 01-28-2019, 02:14 AM
SlackerInc SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,970
Roy Moore seems like a truly terrible person (I thought so long before I heard any of the sexual allegations), but I am unaware of any accusations involving prepubescent children, therefore “pedophile” is a misnomer.
  #835  
Old 01-28-2019, 02:16 AM
Evil Economist Evil Economist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Roy Moore seems like a truly terrible person (I thought so long before I heard any of the sexual allegations), but I am unaware of any accusations involving prepubescent children, therefore “pedophile” is a misnomer.
Well, that certainly excuses Octopus's behavior.
__________________
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
  #836  
Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 AM
SlackerInc SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,970
Wasn't saying it did. I just wrinkle my nose every time I see that term loosely bandied about to describe sexual acts with teenagers. It may have been rape, sexual assault, or statutory rape, but that's not pedophilia.
__________________
SlackerInc on Twitter: https://twitter.com/slackerinc
  #837  
Old 01-28-2019, 09:44 AM
BeenJammin's Avatar
BeenJammin BeenJammin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 581
Wow, you people are fucking nuts. Just wholeheartedly, completely fucking insane.
  #838  
Old 01-28-2019, 03:57 PM
dorvann dorvann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Wasn't saying it did. I just wrinkle my nose every time I see that term loosely bandied about to describe sexual acts with teenagers. It may have been rape, sexual assault, or statutory rape, but that's not pedophilia.
I know you are technically correct and people wrongly call anyone who has sex with a minor a "pedophile" all the time but it always make people suspicious when people are insistent on correcting the error. That's why I've stopped doing it myself.
  #839  
Old 01-28-2019, 04:50 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 24,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Is this what the SDMB has become? And don't give me some shit that it's always been this way. The quality of argument has deteriorated substantially in the last couple of years, coincidentally since the advent of Donald and his shitsuckers who infest this board.
I recently tried to start a conversation with a mod about this type of thing and was rebuffed. The message seemed clear to me: we don't care what you think or want.
  #840  
Old 01-28-2019, 04:56 PM
SlackerInc SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,970
Are there really very many Trump supporters here? That’s not my impression, but I don’t read most threads.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
I know you are technically correct and people wrongly call anyone who has sex with a minor a "pedophile" all the time but it always make people suspicious when people are insistent on correcting the error. That's why I've stopped doing it myself.

Suspicious of what, exactly?
  #841  
Old 01-28-2019, 06:05 PM
FordPrefect FordPrefect is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Are there really very many Trump supporters here? That’s not my impression, but I don’t read most threads.





Suspicious of what, exactly?
Pedantry.
__________________
Omnipotence. I gotta get me some of that. -- Stewie Griffin
  #842  
Old 01-28-2019, 07:10 PM
dorvann dorvann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Are there really very many Trump supporters here? That’s not my impression, but I don’t read most threads.





Suspicious of what, exactly?
In my experience, people tend automatically assume you are defending adults having sex with teenagers and want to do so yourself. It's actually quite annoying and why I stopped trying to correct people about that type of mistake.
  #843  
Old 01-28-2019, 07:18 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Dude, I highly, highly doubt Huey is some kind of government agent sent to try and cause racial tensioin. He's just some jagoff troll -- the internet's full of them.
Remember, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.
Like I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
But of course the writer might be doing this out of ideological fervor, and not for pay at all.
Smearing that particular demographic group would be considered an excellent use of time by many unpaid 4chan types.
  #844  
Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 PM
SlackerInc SlackerInc is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
In my experience, people tend automatically assume you are defending adults having sex with teenagers and want to do so yourself. It's actually quite annoying and why I stopped trying to correct people about that type of mistake.

I’ll cop to that, regarding older teens anyway. Sexual interest in younger teens is pretty gross, and interest in preteens is really disgusting. I definitely do not like to see them all conflated together.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 01-28-2019 at 07:48 PM.
  #845  
Old 01-28-2019, 07:51 PM
Chingon Chingon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 402
Creepy
  #846  
Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Creepy

Yep. And it finally tripped into the ignore list.
  #847  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:02 PM
ElderSign ElderSign is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 235
Worst thread ever, starting with OP. Just let it go. You were wrong.
  #848  
Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 AM
Evil Economist Evil Economist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSign View Post
Worst thread ever, starting with OP. Just let it go. You were wrong.
Yeah, people should just ignore the video evidence of the little asshole being an asshole, because right-wing propaganda has told them that the little asshole wasn't being an asshole. And hey, what kind of society would we have if right-wing propaganda couldn't do our thinking for us?
__________________
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
  #849  
Old 01-30-2019, 02:50 AM
Heffalump and Roo Heffalump and Roo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderSign View Post
Worst thread ever, starting with OP. Just let it go. You were wrong.
Did you read all 17 pages before you came up with your conclusion? If you didn't, you probably missed the good parts.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017