Old 10-12-2018, 01:28 PM

This is unexpected: I was replying to the fifth post in this thread, by Gyrate. I don't understand why it came out as a reply to you, something went wrong. Sorry for bothering you, and now I am sure he made a reference to Monty Python. Still think something is funny here.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
1) Mediaite is not a "high profile" site....
They are not super high profile but rank as the 1,088 most visited site in the US which isn't shabby.

Why the author did what he did I do not know. I am willing to bet all those links worked when he posted the story though.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 10-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
They are not super high profile but rank as the 1,088 most visited site in the US which isn't shabby.

Why the author did what he did I do not know. I am willing to bet all those links worked when he posted the story though.
The wonderful thing about the internet is that we don't have to take my word for it, or yours. That's been my point this whole time. We can do our research.

The Wayback Machine shows that cbsradio.com was indeed a valid site until earlier this year. I withdraw my objections to that first link.

Although I will point out that the link is titled "A CBS Radio News report" which implies you're going to the specific news report, not the main page of CBS Radio. It would be as if I created the following post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a hypothetical quote
A SDMB post by user Whack-a-Mole implies horrible things about minorities and women and reveals his hidden bias...
You can see how my link is deceptive. If I posted something like that as part of a debate, actually arguing that this is proof of your racism, I'd undoubtedly be warned. But that's a minor issue, compared to the rest of the outright lies on this article. Objection to the first link withdrawn.

However, the supposed Reddit post (note that the hyperlink is on the text that reads, "posted the clip on Reddit " thus implying we will be treated to the post itself) doesn't exist, and the linked Clyp page is revealed by the Way Back Machine to be a hoax:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170515...yp.it/slitsuox

You'll note that the WayBack machine behaves very differently when used to view a clip that did exist. It tries to load the page, fails to, and takes us to an error page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140521...yp.it/jy1j1bpu

So the "slitsuox" page doesn't exist, and didn't exist on Jan 7, 2017 when the article was posted. This isn't my "opinion". It's fact, arrived at by research. Research that you can verify. Do you see the difference between my post (and, for example, the CBS articles posted on their website) and the Mediaite article? I ask you to take nothing on faith. I show my work. Fake news sources don't do that. All you have to do is check.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:39 PM

Again, one would suppose if the creator of that article was pulling a fast one then someone on the internet would have been quick to call him on his misleading and bogus tactics. It has been said if you ever want the right answer to something post something that is wrong on the internet and you will quickly be corrected. The internet it not known for letting things like that slide and Mediaite is visited enough that this guy's article probably got some views at the time. We can assume that it is highly likely that someone, somewhere, would have pointed out if the links were all bogus and the article a sham.

The only other thing you can do is write him and ask. Anything else is speculation.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 10-12-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
We can assume that it is highly likely that someone, somewhere, would have pointed out if the links were all bogus and the article a sham.
You're right -- we absolutely can. If only there was some sort of way for people to post their thoughts and reactions to articles on the internet -- some sort of... "Comment" section, perhaps?

Oh, wait. There is.

And another one.

The comments section is full of people calling this guy out on his bullshit. You'll notice that they're doing this on the day the article came out.

EDIT: To be clear -- the comment section is EVEN MORE FULL of people who buy the bullshit he's selling and are eager to gobble it up. But there's more than a few comments pointing out these issues. The user I linked screenshots of even asks for a link to the actual audio, from CBS, or the Reddit thread, and is hounded away by partisan barking.

Last edited by Babale; 10-12-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:04 PM

I looked for the comment section but it wasn't there...mustn't have loaded on my first try.

My bad.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I looked for the comment section but it wasn't there...mustn't have loaded on my first try.

My bad.
No worries, most of the comments were utter trash. As you would expect of a comments section on the internet finally what I did was spam "load more..." then scroll all the way down and hit "load more..." again, until I had a few thousand comments loaded; then I used Ctrl+F to look for various key words.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
This is unexpected: I was replying to the fifth post in this thread, by Gyrate. I don't understand why it came out as a reply to you, something went wrong. Sorry for bothering you, and now I am sure he made a reference to Monty Python. Still think something is funny here.
Yes, it was a deliberate reference to the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition sketch, posted for the purpose of wry humor.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:15 AM

@ Bullitt — I have a question for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
  • Three women charged Kavanaugh, not just one. Of the three, only one was allowed to testify; one wasn't even interviewed by the FBI.
  • Male friends of Kavanaugh reported that he got extremely drunk. At least one said he pawed girls uninvited when drunk. Most or all of these witnesses were not even interviewed by the FBI, let alone allowed to testify.
  • IIRC, even Mr. Judge, Kavanaugh's accomplice in the attempted rape, was never interviewed.
  • Kavanaugh's tirade opposed not just his accuser and the 1 or 2 Senators who may have facilitated the accusation. It was a general rant, reminiscent of Alex Jones, against all Democrats.
  • According to Wikipedia "Kavanaugh was nominated to the U.S. Court of Appeals ... in 2003. His confirmation hearings were contentious; they stalled for three years over charges of partisanship."
  • Democrats had no reason to suborn perjury or fabricate. The GOP was going to get a right-winger no matter what; the question was whether the new judge, independent of philosophy, would be competent. Does Kavanaugh strike you as a great jurist in the mold of Scalia?
  • Compare Kavanaugh's whining with that of Clarence Thomas. Thomas addressed the single witness, who he pretended was lying. Thomas did NOT devolve into a general rant against an entire political party.
  • Kavanaugh's cross-examination of Klobuchar was disgraceful.
  • Dr. Ford and the other accusers had no motive whatsoever for lying. Just the opposite — Ford has overturned her own life, receiving death threats, to perform a public duty.
  • If I were on a jury, I might agree that "reasonable doubt" exists and I must acquit. Not on a jury and as a common sense matter, it is clear to me that the probability of Kavanaugh's guilt is at least 99%.
  • If someone falsely accused me, I'd lose my temper too. That's why nobody would ever consider me for a judgeship. The accusations against Kavanaugh weren't even false, but he went on a tirade that should disqualify him for any judgeship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Thanks, septimus. Your assertions are so far removed from reality and the conclusions drawn by thousands of competent people, but okay, you’re entitled to your opinion.
Quote:
Please itemize. I'd like to know which of my assertions you consider "removed from reality." (And who, for heaven's sake, are the "thousands of competent people"?)
This was several days ago, but Bullitt didn't deign to elucidate.

@ Bullitt — if my counting is correct, I made 11 assertions in the subject post; the 11 assertions are clearly separated by bullet marks. Would you kindly tell us please which of the assertions are "far removed from reality"?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
... Kavanaugh's own hateful and contemptuous behavior was on stark display in the Senate hearing. With the exception of Mr. Bullitt obviously, it's hard to imagine anyone watching this asshole's performance and still supporting him for a judgeship ... unless the hateful nature is perceived as a plus, not a minus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
You and some 2400 law professors. And the ABA.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale
3) Do you disagree with the claim that CBS News' articles show their intent, and that therefore the fact that they are NOT hiding the race of the victims shows that there is NOT some "Mainstream Media" conspiracy to present the "Twilight Zone" news? You made a claim -- that the Mediaite article showcases bias on the Left. Do you stand by your claim despite the fact that CBS News clearly isn't trying to hide the race of the perpetrators, when we take in their actions as a whole?
3. Some people will only hear about a particular story from one radio blurb. As such, it should be clear on its own. Who knows how this one came to be so deceptive. Maybe we can hire a PI to interview the radio broadcast employees and find an innocent explanation.
I've not followed your subthread; would the following be a fair summary of the above exchange? :
B: The CBS reporting, when viewed in its entirety. is objective, fair and non-racist.

JP: Many of us don't watch CBS; we watch excerpts from CBS on some other source, e.g. FoxNews. It is CBS's responsibility to add qualifiers to every sentence so that, when Fox runs brief clips, the CBS reporting is still seen to be objective, fair and non-racist.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I've not followed your subthread; would the following be a fair summary of the above exchange? :
B: The CBS reporting, when viewed in its entirety. is objective, fair and non-racist.

JP: Many of us don't watch CBS; we watch excerpts from CBS on some other source, e.g. FoxNews. It is CBS's responsibility to add qualifiers to every sentence so that, when Fox runs brief clips, the CBS reporting is still seen to be objective, fair and non-racist.
Wrong. This particular exchange had nothing to do with Fox News. Here is the only source I can find with the clip from CBS Radio we were discussing:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUoOU3xvqU8
Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Wrong. This particular exchange had nothing to do with Fox News. Here is the only source I can find with the clip from CBS Radio we were discussing:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUoOU3xvqU8
So Jim, you still stand by that Mediaite article despite every issue I've pointed out with it?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:

You forgot "post video from conspiracy nut YouTuber."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf333 View Post
You forgot "post video from conspiracy nut YouTuber."

Did you actually watch the video?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:13 PM

septimus,

You recall incorrectly, at least on this point:

Quote:
... IIRC, even Mr. Judge, Kavanaugh's accomplice in the attempted rape, was never interviewed. ...
The Hill: FBI concludes interview of Mark Judge
Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
So Jim, you still stand by that Mediaite article despite every issue I've pointed out with it?
I believe the clip is real and not deceptively edited, as presented on Mark Dice's youtube video. I can't prove that. But it is one example of many, so I am not interested in writing a lot about the chances it is a hoax.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I believe the clip is real and not deceptively edited, as presented on Mark Dice's youtube video. I can't prove that. But it is one example of many, so I am not interested in writing a lot about the chances it is a hoax.
Cool.
Give us three more which are not as questionable. If this one is compromised there should be no problem finding other examples which are more clear in intent and presentation.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you for explaining your thought process. It has been very informative.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:21 PM

I really would appreciate some feedback on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Thanks, septimus. Your assertions are so far removed from reality and the conclusions drawn by thousands of competent people, but okay, you’re entitled to your opinion.
Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
septimus,
You recall incorrectly, at least on this point:

The Hill: FBI concludes interview of Mark Judge
Thank you! I sit corrected.

Since Bullitt is unable or unwilling to respond, may I ask others? How about you, Hurricane? Was this one error the source of "Your assertions are so far removed from reality ..." Presumably there was at least one other assertion that was "so far removed from reality," since Mr. Bullitt did employ the plural.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Did you watch the entire clip? I have a reason for asking but I'll get your answer first.

Did anyone else here watch the entire clip?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Did you watch the entire clip? I have a reason for asking but I'll get your answer first.

Yes, unfortunately.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Did you actually watch the video?

The first video on his channel is "trolling safe spaces social justice warriors."

No, I'm not going to give him any more views.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I clicked on the link and fast forwarded to a random point. I landed right in the middle of what sounded like a defense of white people using the N-word. I turned that shit off right away.

Great to know Jim Peebles thinks this dude has anything worth listening to.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
... Since Bullitt is unable or unwilling to respond, may I ask others? How about you, Hurricane? Was this one error the source of "Your assertions are so far removed from reality ..." Presumably there was at least one other assertion that was "so far removed from reality," since Mr. Bullitt did employ the plural.
I'm not in a position to speak for him or explain what the thinking behind his post was. I'll leave that to our esteemed Mr. Bullitt, if he so chooses.

I will note, however, that most of your "assertions" are simply you stating your opinion. I don't, personally, consider those opinions particularly well-grounded in reality, but my mileage obviously varies from yours, and there's not much to do about proving or disproving personal opinions anyways. They are yours, and you're entitled to them, however much I may disagree.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 10-15-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Since Bullitt is unable or unwilling to respond...
Unwilling, mostly. It’s come down to opinion vs opinion, as Coach Ditka said.

Sorry for the delay. I was knocked out for a couple days last week with the flu.