Old 03-25-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

RivkahChaya writes:

> . . . I was one of six hearing undergrads among 2,000 Deaf undergrads, and all my
> professors were Deaf.

All of them? That's interesting. One of my best friends teaches at Gallaudet. She's not deaf or mute.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Oh, yeah. In fact I've seen them driving and chatting with their fellow deaf passenger. Since this means the driver is not exactly watching the road full time, it is a wonder to behold! Lots of stuff like that.
It's easier than you'd think. And statistically, Deaf people are better drivers than hearing people, if you go by percentage of drivers who get into accidents per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
RivkahChaya writes:

> . . . I was one of six hearing undergrads among 2,000 Deaf undergrads, and all my
> professors were Deaf.

All of them? That's interesting. One of my best friends teaches at Gallaudet. She's not deaf or mute.
Well, I made a point of enrolling in classes with Deaf professors. The whole point of being there was to learn ASL and about deafness and Deaf culture.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Here's a list of many, if not all, sign languages in the world. One thing that's important to know is that there's no necessary connection between the sign language used in a particular area and the spoken language used there. There are places which use more or less the same spoken language that use quite different sign languages and there are places which use more or less the same sign languages which use quite different spoken languages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sign_languages
Old 03-25-2020, 05:39 PM

You mentioned specifically sticking out their tongue when the speaker hasn't. There is the TH mouth shape that works as the adverb carelessly or sloppily- assuming you didn't mean that, do you have any video you can show us?