Old 03-24-2020, 11:42 AM

Don't be so binary dudes. What if those Trump voters were really as stupid as you claim they are and were simply hoodwinked? What if they have sincerely repented?

May I suggest that there are some other factors too... maybe you should get an inventory to see what they might sell, or perhaps never should have bought in the first place?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I fail to see any hypocrisy in the OP - where exactly is the OP doing something that he condemns other people for doing?
Not saying you agree or disagree with asking people who they voted for, but thanks for this. I don't see anything hypocritical about my OP either.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:24 PM

I wouldn't donate to someone I only knew on Facebook. If it were someone I knew personally, yes, and I wouldn't ask them whom they voted for.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBeforeScience View Post
I wouldn't donate to someone I only knew on Facebook. If it were someone I knew personally, yes, and I wouldn't ask them whom they voted for.
That's interesting. Would there be anything else you asked them?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Several Facebook groups I'm in sometimes have GoFundMe requests for medical bills and I like to ask who they voted for before donating money ..

Am I wrong?

It is NO MORE wrong than asking for the ethnicity/race of the victim before deciding to fund them.

Make of that statement what you want.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinKitFox View Post
It is NO MORE wrong than asking for the ethnicity/race of the victim before deciding to fund them.

Make of that statement what you want.
Well, technically, nobody chooses their race/ethnicity, whereas people do choose who they vote for.

A better analogy might be religion. People choose their religion. But it would be considered quite wrong by society for one to say, "Before I donate, can I ask if this person is a Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, etc.? I only donate to Christians."
Old 03-25-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
But it would be considered quite wrong by society for one to say, "Before I donate, can I ask if this person is a Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, etc.? I only donate to Christians."
Did the Buddhist choose Buddhism because of Buddhism's unhelpful stance on the very problem they are seeking relief from? Of course not, which is why it's a lousy analogy.

Now, donating to an anti-vaxxer to help offset their child's measles treatment costs... THAT is an apt analogy.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:06 PM

I imagine many UHC opponents might see no contradiction or hypocrisy in supporting GoFundMe appeals or using it to cover their own medical expenses.

Their view might be that you should fend for yourself, but when you can't, it's right and appropriate to appeal to friends and the community for help because you're an upright citizen. But it's wrong and inappropriate for others to expect the entire nation to help, because they're probably just lowlife scum out to scam the system.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:43 PM

I would generously offer my thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Now, donating to an anti-vaxxer to help offset their child's measles treatment costs... THAT is an apt analogy.
This punishes the child for their parents' stupidity.

How about "Would you donate money to a person with the measles if they were against the measles vaccine?"