Old 03-25-2020, 11:19 AM

Trump's economy is NOT great.

All I keep hearing people rambling on about is how Trump supposedly created lots and lots of jobs and that the unemployment rate is supposedly the lowest in history. Even if both of those claims are true, they don't really mean anything because there are still just as many unemployed Americans. 40 million Americans on food stamps. No increase in wages. No decrease in taxes. Shitty stock market. $1,500 a month for a 1-bedroom apartment. Healthcare still ridiculously expensive. It seems like nothing has changed in the past 10 years.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:22 AM

The liberals are triggered, and that's what really matters to the MAGATS.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM

Best economy since Obama.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:33 AM

Unemployment went down, but most new jobs were permatemp and contract jobs, not direct hire jobs.

Wages didn't go up. Benefits didn't go up.

This sucks. In the 'good' times expenses like real estate, health care and education grow in cost while wages stagnate.

Then in bad times real estate, health care and education costs grow while wages go down.

Its not sustainable.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

stock market gains until the recent puke up was largely based on corporates taking their tax break money and buying back stock. In other words, using their money to reduce the supply of stock instead of actually improving and growing their business.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:05 PM

Trump's entire career was based on shell games, bluffing and bluster. It's the same thing here. As long as certain numbers go up, he gets to crow about it, and that's all he cares about.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface54345 View Post
All I keep hearing people rambling on about is how Trump supposedly created lots and lots of jobs and that the unemployment rate is supposedly the lowest in history. Even if both of those claims are true, they don't really mean anything because there are still just as many unemployed Americans. 40 million Americans on food stamps. No increase in wages. No decrease in taxes. Shitty stock market. $1,500 a month for a 1-bedroom apartment. Healthcare still ridiculously expensive. It seems like nothing has changed in the past 10 years.
"Unemployment is the lowest in history! If people are on welfare, that's THEIR fault! There are jobs for everyone provided by the greatest President ever. If you don't want to work, it's your fault. Long live President Trump!"

You can make anything favorable to the President.

Stock market up? President is great!
Stock market down? Great time to buy stocks at a discount!

Virus pandemic? President said it is not that big of a deal

Bailing out corporations? You can't expect airlines to go bankrupt, can you?

And on and on and on.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:12 AM

My coworker grumbled about this issue when President Rump did his State of the Union address back in January.

"Trump announced a decrease in Unemployment numbers. Republicans clapped, Democrats refused to applaud. Now why wouldn't everyone, regardless of which side of the aisle they're on, be happy about increasing employment?"

I have a motto that you've seen in my signature line a few times: Do not try to teach a pig to sing. It's a complete waste of your time. Oh, and it annoys the pig.

So I didn't bother even trying to explain the differences of perspective to him.

I'm going to put the information here instead, without caring who it annoys, and hope that I'm not wasting my time#.

The Unemployment Rate is a game of numbers and statistics -- particularly of percentages. What percent of the population that wants to work is not employed? Note carefully, here, that nobody at all is talking about careers.

One way to improve (lower numbers are better) the % of Unemployed Eligible Job-Seekers is to make fewer people eligible. Cap the upper age limit, reduce the time people can be enrolled in their Unemployment Benefits programs, change the scope of the eligibility criteria.

Another way to reduce the % of Unemployed Eligible Job-Seekers is to send a lot of those eligible job-seekers out of the country+ so that other eligible job-seekers can fill their roles back home.

Another way to reduce the % of Unemployed Job-Seekers is to get them some kind of work -- which generally means stimulating some kind of traffic in goods and/or services that people want to buy and people want to provide@ and sometimes just means somehow making more money available for people to spend so that more spending on goods & services increases the need for workers and therefore companies hire people to work. And here is where the road divides between left and right.

Republicans/Business and Corporate leaders see the matter from a business perspective: What is the bottom line? What is that number before the % sign? In their view, it doesn't matter whether or not you have a career or even a full-time job. What matters is that you have some kind of job so you're not being counted on the Unemployment roster -- and the government isn't shelling out money* to help you.

Democrats and other bleeding heart types see the issue from a human perspective: How many people are able to bring home enough of a paycheck to (at least) fulfill the first two levels of Maslow's hierarchy of needs -- Food & Water, Shelter, Safety & Security.

To Republicans, the fact that the percentage of people actively looking for jobs is going down$ is all that matters. Democrats see through the illusion, see past the simplistic numbers, and understand that part-time and/or minimum-wage jobs might make that % number go down, but they don't put enough money into those workers' pockets to let them meet their basic needs (see above), nor does it put enough money into the financial flow to facilitate growth in the economy. And, in fact, the results over the long term are counterproductive because they drain the labor pool of qualified skills and minds& and prevent them from seeking (much less finding) jobs that are more suited to their experience and training. In the end, it means employers don't get the 'best man for the job' but get the 'best man available for the job' instead and that's not really good for the overall well-being (and growth) of the nation-state.

Add to that the simple fact that right-wingers will cheer about that shiny golden star on their Dear Leader's record, even if it's really just brass, because after all it's their Dear Leader. [Then again, I'll admit to cheering, in the same manner, about even the slightest wins on the left.]

--G!
# Actually, I know already that 1/3rd of this will be 'preaching to the choir' and 1/3rd of this will be 'falling on deaf ears' and some of the remainder will just ignore this entirely.

+Never mind the fact that doing so sends consumers out of the country, as well, thus reducing demand for goods/services and need for workers. In other words, War is only an idiot's short-sighted solution to high unemployment issues.

@ In the long run, they're the same people. A company I used to work for sold stickers that doctors offices would put on their invoices: This is overdue. Please pay me so I can pay her and she can pay him and he can pay you.

*Yeah, remember that money that you didn't get in your paycheck because your state was pulling some out for stupid nefarious reasons? One of those reasons was to be able to give it back to you when your CEO decided to spend eighty grand on a yacht instead of your salary.

$To a certain limit, of course. The idea of 0% unemployment is a capitalist's nightmare. It would mean employers having to compete for workers by offering better compensation packages (salaries, benefits, stock options and all that jazz) rather than workers competing for jobs by accepting less pay than their peers.

& Okay, now we're talking careers, here.

Last edited by Grestarian; 03-26-2020 at 01:16 AM.