Old 03-24-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
Where are these cash only places? I live in the Seattle-Tacoma area and I can't remember the last cash only place I saw besides kids selling candy. I still use cash at lots of places and have no problems, and I of course live near viral hot spots. To confirm what everyone else said, you touch screens so often using credit/debit cards you get no social distancing benefits.
You've obviously never been to a weed shop. They can't take credit cards and are cash-only due to federal cannabis laws. (That's what they told me.) At least, the two I've been to are like this, and I've heard others are. They'll stay open, as they're considered essential businesses, and though I haven't gone in one in almost 3 years, their parking lots are jammed.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:44 PM

On one hand, a (paywalled) article in the San Francisco Chronicle notes businesses are starting to refuse cash although SF is a no-cash-ban city. (The city claims it's still enforcing the law). On the other hand, NYC has started a delivery app that accepts cash.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:34 PM

I thought the reason for cash in cash only stores was due to up to 23 cents on the dollar for credit cards ... I don't know what ATM cards cost to process
Old 03-25-2020, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
On one hand, a (paywalled) article in the San Francisco Chronicle notes businesses are starting to refuse cash although SF is a no-cash-ban city. (The city claims it's still enforcing the law). On the other hand, NYC has started a delivery app that accepts cash.
I can't figure out how an app can accept cash - unless they mean that the app simply replaces a phone call and then works like traditional delivery, where pay the delivery person in cash.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I went to a place that did not take credit or debit cards. Ironically they sold valuable coins.
Coin dealers generally always deal in cash only. I believe in part because they are often not just engaged in collectible coin sales, but in currency exchange. Which means there are two issues with debit/credit cards:

1. The exchange fees are large compared to currency exchange fees, which means they'd have to drastically increase their fees to cover it.

2. Buying money with a credit card counts as a cash advance.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:23 PM

My use of cash has increased with the curbside pickups. Cards still work, but are even more inconvenient than just settling the bill on the spot. I am in the US and I understand Europe has a different procedure.