Old 03-25-2020, 08:07 PM

Has anyone found a truly good dustpan/brush sweeper?

One that doesn't leave you chasing a line of leftover dust backwards?

I had one years ago that actually swept up all the dusty crap, but it disappeared during The Move after my husband's death, and I have no idea where it originated or where to buy something that works as well.

I swear, I try to keep a clean home!
Old 03-25-2020, 09:45 PM

While we're at it, I want an angled broom that's full sized. All the angled brooms I can find are undersized.

And, angled or not, I'd like one that all the dust and cat hair doesn't stick to. It's supposed to sweep stuff into the dustpan, not leave it all clinging to the broom!
Old 03-25-2020, 09:56 PM

The best dust pans are always the heavy metal ones you get at hardware stores. Their design is pretty much the same since the 1930s because it works.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 PM

There's a bit of skill involved, but I just sweep it onto an 8x11 sheet of junk mail, then throw the whole thing away.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:48 PM

I have an O'Cedar broom/dustpan combo that works really well. And then the handle of the dustpan clips to the handle of the broom. Until it broke, now it falls off. But it still sweeps up stuff really well. Also full-sized, angled. Cat hair sticks to it, though.

Old housecleaner's method: Get a sheet of newspaper. Wet one edge under the sink--just the edge. Smooth that wet edge down on the floor, sweep in trash, enfold in newspaper. Throw away.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 03-25-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:38 PM

We use the Sweepa at home. It has rubber bristles that creates a static charge that allows it attract the smallest dirt particles. Thereís a squeegee attached to one side to make sweeping up the dirt (or liquid) easier. The bristles never deform and a quick rinse in water is all you need to do to clean it. Iíve seen reviews from pet owners and pet salons claiming itís the best broom theyíve used to clean up hair.

Itís not a regular push broom and you need to pull in semi-short strokes for it to work properly. Watch the demo.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:04 AM

Your work will be much easier with proper corn-tassel business end, and not man-made bristles. Store it hanging up, not resting on the sweeping end. It will sweep clean for years.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:14 AM

But when I buy brooms claiming to be proper corn-tassel, cat hair and dust and all sorts of miscellaneous still sticks to the bristles.

And I don't remember that happening years ago when I bought corn brooms. I wonder if some manufacturers are using different varieties of broom corn than they used to?
Old 03-27-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

You can always get one of those dust pans with the long handle.

You may have to still chase the line, but it's a non issue because you're not crouched over in an awkward position.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
But when I buy brooms claiming to be proper corn-tassel, cat hair and dust and all sorts of miscellaneous still sticks to the bristles.

And I don't remember that happening years ago when I bought corn brooms. I wonder if some manufacturers are using different varieties of broom corn than they used to?
There used to be a special kind of corn grown in Oklahoma, that was ideally suited to brooms. Googling, I find some that are 30% corn and 70% yucca.