Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 PM

The brain moves in a mysetrious way

I am a very fast but not particularly accurate typist. One of the reasons for my lack of accuracy is that there are some specific words which I have serious difficulty typing. These words usually come out with two adjoining letters switched. A good example would be "commerical." Another is the name "Elziabeth." Auto-correct usually doesn't fix it for me, unfortunately.

Another word which jumps around like this is the word "jounrey," scuse me, "journey." I had occasion to type the word several times today. Then I was taking some notes by hand and needed to write the word via ballpoint pen and notebook paper. Yup, it came out "jounrey." And here I thought the confusion was limited to the keyboard and the particular configuration of the letters on the keys. Guess not!

Anything like this ever happen to you?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

I know I have a few of these when typing, but the only one that comes to mind -- although it's not a letter swap -- is typing "probably" for "probable." I worked a bit for some lawyers and I always had to double check and correct "probably cause" to "probable cause." I've also noticed on the Dope when typing while thinking, some words will come out spelled as their homophones, and I don't mean confusing "it's/its/its'" but something like "the redwood tree" coming out as "the redwould tree" or something like that. It's really odd sometimes to see what comes out from under my fingers as I'm thinking and typing.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

“Udpate” for “update”.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

Becasue I proofread my posts, I usually catch all the times I swap the U and S in certain words. And the N and G in the suffix -ign. So you jsut won't catch me makign those errors in my posts.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

I just popped in to say that I think mysetrious is a really cool word. "Myse" from the greek Myso, or 'unclean', and the suffix "trious", meaning 'in the state of.

Mysetrious: the state of being unclean.

I must remember that term, I can use it as a descriptor at work!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

I can't type "monitor", it comes out "montiro" half the time. "George" comes out "Geroge". And "udpate", as mentioned above. This is on a full size keyboard. I don't have a problem writing them out by hand or one-finger typing on my phone.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 03-25-2020, 08:32 AM

I make teh mistake of typing 'teh' instead of 'the' so often that I've set up AutoHotKey to correct it automatically wherever I'm typing. Now I can keeping doing it without noticing.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 AM

I get lost of wavy red liens, unless they're actual sword.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
I make teh mistake of typing 'teh' instead of 'the' so often that I've set up AutoHotKey to correct it automatically wherever I'm typing. Now I can keeping doing it without noticing.
That works until you have to write about Theran....

I don't do 'teh', but I do not infrequently mess up the same sequence of letters in 'oteher'.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
That works until you have to write about Theran....

I don't do 'teh', but I do not infrequently mess up the same sequence of letters in 'oteher'.
Ah, but it has to be teh [space]...

So if I want to write about Tehran, it won't make any correction.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:46 PM

A former manager had the last name Trigg - I consistently would reference him as Trigger.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:17 PM

That's a probelm whihc I have all the time.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Yep. I nearly always type reslut instead of result. Makes for an interesting thought though.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:51 PM

I have a few like this, the first that come to mind are "repoistory" or sometimes "repoisitory" instead of "repository", and "cofnig" for "config". As a software engineer, I type both of those fairly often.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I get lost of wavy red liens, unless they're actual sword.
Half of what I write is in French, the other half in English. So my texting apps and word processors and browsers are always set to the "wrong" language for what I'm typing, and I get wavy red lines everywhere, to the point where they don't mean anything anymore and I just ingore them.

Microsoft Word is the worst because it allows multiple languages in the same document, managed automatically based on the keyboard layout you're using when you type a word, and it doesn't tell you which language is where. So the red wavy lines are doubly useless.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Half of what I write is in French, the other half in English. So my texting apps and word processors and browsers are always set to the "wrong" language for what I'm typing, and I get wavy red lines everywhere, to the point where they don't mean anything anymore and I just ingore them.
Turn the spellchecker off. That's one of the first things I do when I get a new computer/operating system/brouser/whatever. Those wavy lines just annoy me.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:00 PM

I work in healthcare. The number of times I type "helath" is dwarfed only by the number of times I sign off an email with "thnask".
Old 03-29-2020, 12:47 PM

I renewed by battle with my old nemesis "elgible" a bit ago.

Flagged as a misspelling by my spell checker. It wants to sub "eligible" but that has an strange extra "i" and looks like a misspelling of "illegible" to me.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:11 PM

My long-time goof-up is ancinet for ancient, as if my fingers are tripping over the i before e rule because of the preceding c, but receiving causes no trouble.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:16 PM

I never get any 'ie' or 'ei' order correct on the first go. I never learned the rule because it doesn't seem to have a rule.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
I never get any 'ie' or 'ei' order correct on the first go. I never learned the rule because it doesn't seem to have a rule.
Hey, completely unrelated, but I was supposed to be on holiday in Japan now, would have been on the Izu peninsula today after spending some time in the Kyoto area...
Old 03-31-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I once grepped my thesis. (The longest document I have written.) Found more exceptions to the "rule" than ones that fit the rule. For both "ie" and "ei".

Yeah, really helpful "rule" you have there.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
The full rule is pretty good, actually: I before E, except after C, or when sounded like A, as in "neighbor" and "sleigh", or in certain other weird words.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
The full rule is pretty good, actually: I before E, except after C, or when sounded like A, as in "neighbor" and "sleigh", or in certain other weird words.
Or weighty words. Of course a lot of people are willing to list their exceptions. It's not rocket science.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Or weighty words. Of course a lot of people are willing to list their exceptions. It's not rocket science.
Well, "weighty" falls under the "ay" sound exception. But then there's "their," which doesn't fit under the rule and is among the most common of the "ei/ie" words. So it is a pretty shaky guideline, at best.