Old 03-27-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Aside: I've heard that in Nevada, the official procedure for resolving tied elections is for the tied candidates to play a single hand of five-card stud. With the stakes set like that, it does in fact become a trivial game, and in effect no different from a coin flip... but I do have to admit that it's a lot cooler than a coin flip.
This may be a city law somewhere in Nevada, but Nevada state law says that ties in statewide or "district" elections are broken either by vote of the state legislature or "by lot." Technically, a game of stud poker could be considered "by lot."

At the Nevada Democratic Caucuses, if there was a tie in determining which candidate received a County Convention delegate, it was broken by a card draw (high card won; ties broken by the suit order used in bridge).
Old 03-27-2020, 07:24 PM

Wasn't there a game mentioned somewhere on SMDB that consisted of:
(a) The board is 101 spaces, numbered 0 through 100;
(b) Each player starts on 0;
(c) Roll a die - on a 6, advance one space; on a 5, remain where you are; on a 1-4, go back to space 0;
(d) The first player to reach space 100 wins?
I worked out that it would take a very, very long time just for any player to get to space 10.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:40 PM

The Crying
Old 03-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Wasn't there a game mentioned somewhere on SMDB that consisted of:
(a) The board is 101 spaces, numbered 0 through 100;
(b) Each player starts on 0;
(c) Roll a die - on a 6, advance one space; on a 5, remain where you are; on a 1-4, go back to space 0;
(d) The first player to reach space 100 wins?
I worked out that it would take a very, very long time just for any player to get to space 10.
The odds of successfully getting to the tenth space, from space 0, are 9,765,624 to 1.

The odds of completing the game are such that were every human on earth to play the game nonstop, no one would win before the heat death of the universe.

This game sucks.

Last edited by RickJay; 03-30-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The odds of successfully getting to the tenth space, from space 0, are 9,765,624 to 1.

The odds of completing the game are such that were every human on earth to play the game nonstop, no one would win before the heat death of the universe.

This game sucks.
The expected number of rolls needed for a player to reach space 10 is 14,648,436.
The expected number of times reaching space 10 needed for a player to reach space 20 is also 14,648,436.
The expected number of turns to reach space 100 is about 4.5 x 10^71.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
I have to come in here to put in a dishonourable mention for Betrayal at the House on the Hill. For those of you who haven't met it, it's sort of an RPG-ish boardgame where you play a stereotypical group of dumb teenagers investigating the haunted house. You explore the house and find stuff and then the monster is revealed...

Except that it's basically Snakes-and-Ladders in an expensive Halloween costume. It is not a game. The exploring and finding are completely random and depend entirely on your ability to roll dice and draw cards. When the Plot is revealed, one player is randomly chosen as the Bad Guy and given a random objective, which the Good Guys have to stop. Depending on the random items collected, one side or the other may be massively overpowered. Depending on the random room draw, either sides' objective may be anything from trivial to impossible.

I understand some people like it for the story-telling elements, but really, why not just play an RPG?
Betrayal is still fun to play, even if you occasionally get screwed. Some of the scenarios are better than others, though. The players have a greater chance of beating the traitor the longer they can go without triggering the haunt. As items are uncovered, the players need to use the high-speed member of the party to ferry items between players to balance out items (i.e. one player doesn't hog all the weapons) and optimize usage (items that require knowledge go to the player with the highest knowledge, etc.)
Old 03-30-2020, 11:26 PM

I would say the worst board game I have played is a dud called Innsmouth Escape. It's a one player vs the rest game, where one player is trying to rescue their captured fellow Miskatonic U students wit secret movement and get to the edge of the board and out of Innsmouth, while the other players play hordes of Deep Ones. It's incredibly unbalanced against the solo player, and the cheap jack production values didn't help. (Every piece of art in the game is clipped from the cover painting, although there are lots of Deep One plastic figurines I've used in other games.)
Old 03-31-2020, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
The Crying
Old 03-31-2020, 08:27 AM

I know all there is to know about the crying game. I've had my share of the crying game.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:29 PM

I know I'm in the minority but I hate Fluxx. It's basically a disguised version of War that makes you think there's a strategy to winning. And then someone changes the winning condition and your plans all go to hell.

Last edited by Deeg; 03-31-2020 at 11:29 PM.