Old 04-02-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I'll see about F76 but it's REALLY expensive to buy. Yikes.

So I downloaded The Old Republic again. Back in 2012 or whenever it came out I maxed out several toons, then got bored. In 2018 I fired it up again but the game was ludicrously easy; I got a toon to level 25 without ever once being anywhere near dying. I figured I'd give it another go and started up an imperial agent last night (after a long download of course.)

The game's dialogue and story remain the state of the art; it's odd to me that no one else has ever done as good a job. Actually maybe it isn't that odd; SWTOR was insanely expensive to make. But there it is. I haven't yet played long enough to see if it's still too easy, but I will say that global chat is so horribly spammed by gold vendors that it's quite irritating.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
So I downloaded The Old Republic again. Back in 2012 or whenever it came out I maxed out several toons, then got bored. In 2018 I fired it up again but the game was ludicrously easy; I got a toon to level 25 without ever once being anywhere near dying. I figured I'd give it another go and started up an imperial agent last night (after a long download of course.)

The game's dialogue and story remain the state of the art; it's odd to me that no one else has ever done as good a job. Actually maybe it isn't that odd; SWTOR was insanely expensive to make. But there it is. I haven't yet played long enough to see if it's still too easy, but I will say that global chat is so horribly spammed by gold vendors that it's quite irritating.
I played SWTOR pretty heavily from 2014 through 2018, and you're right -- in the time that I played, they made a number of incremental changes to the game which had the net effect of making it easier for players, including a lot of simplification of the gearing system, and, IIRC, setting your companion to the Healer role was a great way to ensure that you never died, as companion healing was pretty powerful.

I haven't been on the game much at all in the last year or so (though I've still maintained my subscription), but one of the first things I'd always do when I created an alt was to immediately turn off General (world) chat, as it was just trash.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-02-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 PM

In the 6.0 release last October they did nerf companions a bit. It's still easier than it was back at launch, particularly if you generally know what you're doing, but better than it was when they changed the system a couple years ago.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I'll see about F76 but it's REALLY expensive to buy. Yikes.
Supposedly, if you link your Steam & Bethesda accounts, it's currently free.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:38 AM
Charter Jays Fan

How does one do that?
Old 04-03-2020, 10:55 AM

My bad - I didn't read the details closely enough.It appears that it is actually for only people who already own the base game. So, they'd be able to drop the Bethesda launcher. The accounts can be linked at the Bethesda account management page.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:16 PM

Rift sent me an email today reminding me that it still exists, apparently. I stopped playing a long time ago (about the time SWTOR came out), so I have no idea what it looks like now, but it was pretty fun at the time, and I liked the open-world events.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post

My bad - I didn't read the details closely enough.It appears that it is actually for only people who already own the base game. So, they'd be able to drop the Bethesda launcher. The accounts can be linked at the Bethesda account management page.
That is very good news. I liked 76 when it came out, but drifted away because I loath Bethesda's launcher.
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Charter Jays Fan

As I feared, SWTOR is still so easy it's almost pointless.

Well, that's it, I guess.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

As was suggested earlier, play City of Heroes.

1) It’s not dumbed down at all; it’s a fairly old school game with lots of abilities and flexibility, and it can be unforgiving at times. And you can set your own challenge level if it feels too easy at any point.

2) If Secret World Legends taxed your system, this won’t. It looks pretty good for an older game, but it’s an older game and it isn’t very demanding in terms of hardware.

3) It’s free. Completely. I don’t even think they’re accepting donations right now.

4) Plenty of us on this board play and you can join CECIL, our super group.

5) It’s really fun. I know this is subjective but the game has a long-term, very devoted cult following for a reason.
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Huh. I'm trying, and the "Create Account" button does nothing. Figures.