Old 06-06-2018, 02:20 AM

So where is Chewie in the current* timeline as of “The Last Jedi”?

*Acknowledging that unless the opening crawl of the original “Star Wars” meant that thirty years counted as “a long time ago”, even TLJ is still presumably in the distant past.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 06-06-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
So where is Chewie in the current* timeline as of “The Last Jedi”?
Am I missing something? Did you not see him in the film?
Old 06-06-2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Am I missing something? Did you not see him in the film?
So he’s piloting the Falcon when they escape at the end? I don’t remember but I will take your word for it. Did he really do anything in the movie?
Old 06-06-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
So he’s piloting the Falcon when they escape at the end? I don’t remember but I will take your word for it. Did he really do anything in the movie?
He piloted the Falcon throughout the film, including at the end. He also kicked down Luke's door when the latter wouldn't talk to Rey.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
He piloted the Falcon throughout the film, including at the end. He also kicked down Luke's door when the latter wouldn't talk to Rey.
He also learned that Porgs are friends, not food.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:22 PM

I liked it quite a lot, more than either sequel but not quite as much as Rogue One.

Ehrenreich was OK but the movie put a lot pressure on him; not only is he playing an iconic character but there is barely a scene in the film without him. I think perhaps it needed a stronger villain with more scenes as a secondary focus.

Glover was good and I think he will be better able to carry a film so I hope they make a Lando film some time.

I am a bit surprised the movie has disappointed at the boxoffice. It got decent reviews, has a decent IMDB rating and it is a Star Wars Film so should have been an automatic hit. Possibly it is coming too soon after the last one.

I hope the film recovers at the box office and the next one does better because I would like to see more films in the timeline between the OT and the prequels.

Last edited by Lantern; 06-06-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Well, considering that Solo bombed, and they announced a Boba Fett movie, I think they should have Han be a secondary character in that movie (Han and Fett just go together), and tie up Solo's loose ends in that movie. I don't think they should make another Solo anthology movie again anytime soon. I liked this movie, and wish it did better at the box office, but it's too risky.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
I am a bit surprised the movie has disappointed at the boxoffice. It got decent reviews, has a decent IMDB rating and it is a Star Wars Film so should have been an automatic hit. Possibly it is coming too soon after the last one.
I noticed Solo was pretty light on space battles and scenes in space. It was mostly planet bound. I think Star Wars fans want more spaceship pew pew.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
I noticed Solo was pretty light on space battles and scenes in space. It was mostly planet bound. I think Star Wars fans want more spaceship pew pew.
I also think they want more Force and Lightsabers too.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought it was pretty exciting, planet bound scenes or not. The scenes in the maw were pretty cool, the star destroyer and the space monster. (How the hell did it get so big, eating an occasional spaceship less than 1% of its size?)

I think the box office numbers are a result of star wars fatigue, and the fact that The Last Jedi didn't appeal to a lot of people.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:37 PM

I think it also was hurt by the fact that every trailer I saw was dark/shadowy/gritty. Dark/shadowy/gritty doesn't exactly scream "Let's kick off summer!" It may have been a victim of its Memorial Day weekend release. Plus the whole SW fatigue thing, disappointment among many from TLJ, and probably the fact that it didn't get much positive hype in the months leading up.

Even for me, a huge SW fan who will watch anything Disney puts forward at this point, this would've "felt" better coming out in the usual December slot.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I think it also was hurt by the fact that every trailer I saw was dark/shadowy/gritty. Dark/shadowy/gritty doesn't exactly scream "Let's kick off summer!" It may have been a victim of its Memorial Day weekend release. Plus the whole SW fatigue thing, disappointment among many from TLJ, and probably the fact that it didn't get much positive hype in the months leading up.

Even for me, a huge SW fan who will watch anything Disney puts forward at this point, this would've "felt" better coming out in the usual December slot.
I've felt like making a separate thread on "Why did Solo bomb?" but since we're talking about it, here's the ones I've heard.

1. The previous "new" movies were bad. TLJ gets the most hate from what I've seen, and that immediately preceded it. Could be a factor?

2. Was too soon. Eh, maybe, but Marvel seems to manage that okay, they've taken care to expand the Universe though, and SW's still seems... small for some reason.

3. Shouldn't have happened after you killed off Fords version. I agree, I think they should have given it more time.

4. Was too "SJW". I don't see this really, and I'm pretty attuned to that stuff I think. The "droids rights" thing could be construed that way, but honestly that was a long time coming imo. The droids get treated like second class citizens at best and slaves at worse, and nobody says anything? I doubt that turned away many people.

5. Bad publicity. This was a BIG ONE I think. The firing of the directors, replacing them with a "safe" guy, and Ehrenreich's alleged bad acting (requiring a coach), REALLY hurt I think. The only side benefit of this is I think a lot of people liked the movie more than they thought they would (in a bad way).

6. Not "Star Warsy" enough. Sadly, I am starting to believe Star Wars does indeed need The Force and Lightsabers. Ask yourself honestly, would you have liked Rogue One as much if they didn't do the last minute insertion of Darth Vader?
Old 06-06-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
6. Not "Star Warsy" enough. Sadly, I am starting to believe Star Wars does indeed need The Force and Lightsabers. Ask yourself honestly, would you have liked Rogue One as much if they didn't do the last minute insertion of Darth Vader?
I see your point, but to answer your question: Yes. The Vader scene was badass, but I loved practically everything else about R1; Director Krennic, Saw, the Guardians of the Whills, seeing them test out the Death Star for the first (and second) times.

That being said, I do think this was probably a turn-off for people in regard to Solo. Everyone knew there would be no Force-using badassery in this movie since Han didn't believe in that nonsense at the beginning of ANH. I think they could've used more Maul, shown him in action a bit behind the scenes of Crimson Dawn instead of just a surprise cameo at the end.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Infinity War sucked a lot of oxygen out of the room. Deadpool 2 didn't do great numbers either, though better than Solo and of course Deadpool is R-rated.

People just don't see a lot of movies in the theater. They are invested in the MCU and don't have time for many other tentpole FX oriented action movies.

And yeah, the trailer for Solo sucked. It made it look way to dark and gritty, and I think people are tired of dark and gritty.

Even Infinity War, which ended with (massive spoiler for the two of you who haven't seen it yet)
SPOILER:
half the universe getting disintegrated
kept a fairly light tone. So did a lot of Solo, but you wouldn't know that from the trailer.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I also think they want more Force and Lightsabers too.
I wonder if this is true. If it is, that is a bummer for me. I have felt that every SW movie after the original 1977 film has had too much of that stuff. The original was just right: you get “these are not the droids you are looking for”; a bad guy’s arm is sliced off in the bar; there’s some training on the Falcon; Vader does a little Force choking and is called off by Tarkin; Obi-Wan sneaks around the Death Star with some subtle Force tricks; there’s the Darth/Obi-Wan battle; and then of course “Use the Force, Luke” in the final moments of the Death Star battle. That still leaves the vast majority of the movie’s running time without any Force or light saber stuff. Which is as it should be IMO. But subsequent movies have really leaned toward that aspect of the story, to their detriment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoron View Post
He also learned that Porgs are friends, not food.
Ahhh...right. Although that was only after he had barbecued at least one of them, LOL.

Quote:
I've felt like making a separate thread on "Why did Solo bomb?" but since we're talking about it, here's the ones I've heard.

1. The previous "new" movies were bad. TLJ gets the most hate from what I've seen, and that immediately preceded it. Could be a factor?
First, I’m wondering: did “Solo” flat-out bomb? Or just come in below expectations? That is, are they going to profit any after marketing expenses, or will they actually have to write off a loss?

Then, as to your first numbered point: the funny thing is, critics are in near-universal agreement that TLJ was great. Not just good, but really great, probably the best SW film ever. (Personally, I didn’t like it, and I didn’t like TFA either; the only Disney SW film I’ve really liked is “Rogue One”, and “Solo” is actually in second place because its strong second half redeemed it.) Which is fine: everyone is entitled to their opinion. But what really irks me is all the critics who don’t think I’m entitled to my negative opinion. They will flat-out say that anyone who dislikes TLJ is a “bad fan” whose opinions are “gross”. That makes me livid.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

There's something about Chewbacca that bothers me. "Captain" Woody Harrelson tells the soldiers to throw Han in the pit with the beast. The soldiers mention that the beast hasn't been fed in three days, so is probably really hungry. Han gets tossed in and we see the remains of previous victims. These remains appear to be "human".

So, we have revealed that Chewie really does get Chewie with people. This bothers me. I have friends. Sometimes, my friends get annoyed with me. But they don't eat me. Chewie has eaten people. Yikes. I'd look at my friend a bit differently if I thought he could eat me.

On another subject, I've not watched a single episode of Game of Thrones, though I knew Emilia Clarke was in it. She is a goddess.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:05 AM

Yeah, I have been surprised not to see people complain about the character assassination of Chewbacca in this movie—yours is the first I’ve encountered.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
First, I’m wondering: did “Solo” flat-out bomb? Or just come in below expectations? That is, are they going to profit any after marketing expenses, or will they actually have to write off a loss?
Difficult to say. The main problem is Lucasfilm basically had the budget for two shoots merged into one, causing the need for a large return. But if I was them I would not include the first budget as part of their reckoning, and instead judge it entirely from Ron Howard's hiring onward. In that case they need about $600m to break even. That used to be measured purely from domestic ticket sales, but foreign box office has come to mean as much or more for some movies, so now I don't know what the new benchmark is.

I think that, after the run for Solo completes, they'd easily break $600m including foreign, but considerably slower than The Last Jedi managed to reach that number.

Disney can take the hit. All the other Star Wars movies have given them a large enough dumptruck of money they can shore up the occasional loss with. They were probably prepared for it, all things considered, far more than the public were, purely due to the double-budget debacle, so though it "under-performed" and didn't reach whoever's arbitrary projections, whatever that means, and it was not what they would call a hit, they can weather this storm.

They can think of it as their Iron Man 2, perhaps. A stumble along the way that only slightly disrupts their plans, and a learning experience.

Quote:
But what really irks me is all the critics who don’t think I’m entitled to my negative opinion. They will flat-out say that anyone who dislikes TLJ is a “bad fan” whose opinions are “gross”. That makes me livid.
If your criticisms stay away from the terms: SJW; "Diversity forced down our throat"; Luke was emasculated; and cries of firing Kathleen Kennedy then it's fine, you just didn't like the movie for its own sake. If you do say the aforementioned, then nobody cares, we don't want to hear about it.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Disney can take the hit. All the other Star Wars movies have given them a large enough dumptruck of money they can shore up the occasional loss with. They were probably prepared for it, all things considered, far more than the public were, purely due to the double-budget debacle, so though it "under-performed" and didn't reach whoever's arbitrary projections, whatever that means, and it was not what they would call a hit, they can weather this storm.

They can think of it as their Iron Man 2, perhaps. A stumble along the way that only slightly disrupts their plans, and a learning experience.
Oh, I know they can take the hit. (And I mostly agree with you about the way they should count the budget, except that I think it should be based on whatever it was initially budgeted for.) But more what I’m wondering is: sometimes a big tentpole movie underperforms, and people in the media cluck about it, but it still makes enough profit for the studio that they greenlight the sequel that was set up in the stinger or whatever. Other times (and this seems relatively uncommon), it’s such a dud the studio says “never mind, maybe we’ll explore other ideas in this universe but we’re not going to make that sequel”. So I’m wondering which category this seems to be shaping up to fall into.

Quote:
If your criticisms stay away from the terms: SJW; "Diversity forced down our throat"; Luke was emasculated; and cries of firing Kathleen Kennedy then it's fine, you just didn't like the movie for its own sake. If you do say the aforementioned, then nobody cares, we don't want to hear about it.
I would say my criticisms don’t go within a parsec (heh) of those terms. However, I have the impression that some of the critics I was talking about would pronounce me guilty simply because I say that Rose and DJ are terrible characters, and that Holdo’s “redemption” falls a little flat for me—given that her big secret plan led to the destruction of 99.99% of the rebel fleet and personnel, and would have led to 100% destruction, if not for a nearly literal deus ex machina from Luke.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Those are legitimate criticisms. Even though I loved the movie, I know exactly what you mean. I disagree, but only because I've listened to the commentary and read articles that clarified some of those things, which made things make a bit more sense.

As for the plans after a failure like this, there was never any intention for a direct Solo sequel, and they've been saying that since before the box office returns came in. But I think the Qi'ra storyline will continue onscreen, in the Boba Fett and Kenobi movies, and I think Han, Chewie and, Lando, and Maul will recur in them too, to varying degrees. Han won't meet Obi Wan, for example, as that would mess up continuity, but Lando might, and Qi'ra could very easily do so. I expect we'll see Jabba the Hutt and the other known Bounty Hunters too, and maybe even Cad Bane or Hondo.

Last edited by GuanoLad; 06-07-2018 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:02 AM

Huh, I’d be curious to know what was clarified for you, but I guess it’s off topic for this “Solo” thread.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
The Force Awakens has almost no battles in space so that isn't it.

Honestly I think what Disney missed is what made Star Wars so beloved is it was rare. Now it's everywhere and every year. It's just another Movie that is out now.

Last edited by Quimby; 06-07-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:45 AM
SDSAB

Saw it this weekend and... liked but didn't love it. Exciting scene with the train robbery. I appreciated all the double-crosses, and the callouts to earlier SW movies (not too many of them, I thought). As with Empire, I still don't buy that there are enormous space critters that want to eat starships. And I thought it would've made a better gag if the Millennium Falcon escape pod which Solo ejected had included the walk-in closet with all of Lando's capes.

Alden Ehrenreich is 29; Harrison Ford was 35 when Star Wars: A New Hope came out. Is it supposed to be six years or so before the Battle of Yavin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
...I do think that Qi'ra made a calculated move at the end of the movie to sacrifice herself to save Han. It would be consistent with her character throughout the movie. After her initial sacrifice, she's done things that she's not proud of (to put it mildly) and there's a 'I'm no longer worthy of your love' attitude there.

She also realizes that, as good as he is, Han can't run from Crimson Dawn forever and chooses to let Han go while she stays to protect him.

I did like Han's aside to Chewie - "Well, if you round down." Very Han to have exaggerated something that was already a record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchion View Post
...It always bugged me in Empire Strikes Back when Lando would say "Han" to rhyme with "man", and I loved the little reference to that in this movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
I liked all the little references to the other films. One of the characters talking about going to a Mynock roast, Beckett wearing the same disguise that Lando used in Return of the Jedi (which was probably stowed somewhere on the Falcon), one character mentioning that they should have hired Bossk, a stormtrooper using the line “move along, move along”, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I really tried hard to listen to the March when it was playing and I think that it was definitely based on the Imperial March but they changed it up a bit.

I liked it. Ehrenreich is passable as Solo, which maybe is the best you can ask for. He does some of the things right -- like leaning against door frames and looking roguish. So he resembles a young Han Solo who doesn't quite have it all together yet. On the other hand, he doesn't look like Harrison Ford in his face or hair, so you have to roll with that. Chewbacca is really good in this, there's some funny stuff and some serious, emotional stuff and Chewy kicks all kinds of ass. Glover is great as Lando, he had suave, rich guy down...

- I like that L3-37 got incorporated into the Falcon. Previous canon stated that there were a number of droid brains in the ship keeping it working and having L3 in there explains why the ship is so feisty....
I agree with all this.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:48 PM

I read recently that it is doing even worse overseas (not too surprising, as TLJ’s big haul was disproportionately domestic) and looks to be headed for the dubious distinction of being the first Star Wars movie to actually lose money after marketing costs are deducted.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Honestly I think what Disney missed is what made Star Wars so beloved is it was rare.
I don't think this is it at all. Some times stuff just comes out that is simply so far beyond anything you have seen before that it enters the social consciousness. What made Star Wars great was that it was far better than anything people had seen before at that point, you don't get that feeling back by simply doing more Star Wars. We see this happen over and over again in all kinds of media, something comes out that revolutionizes the industry and everyone immediately goes "let's do more of that" instead of realizing that the secret to success is simply being way better than anything else that has come before. Of course even if they learned that lesson you just can't pull that out of your ass every year, it happens once a generation if you are lucky.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoron View Post
Personally, I loved seeing Maul, though I can't believe they actually went that far in pulling from the cartoons. I can't imagine that more than 20% of the people who saw Solo had seen Maul's revival in CW and Rebels. Baffling decision.
The thing that made it baffling was that the timeframe was never really established in Solo. I think we're expected to assume that this was taking place a decade or so ahead of A New Hope, but the actors' relative ages would give us 6 years (Ford was 34 when ANH came out, and Ehrenreich is 28).

But having Maul in there without any nod to his survival of his bisection by Obi Wan's lightsaber in Phantom Menace is going to make people confused- clearly Han is not as old as Obi Wan, but would have to be if Maul actually died.

All in all though, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Oddly, the most entertaining call-back to me was when Beckett was wearing the primitive armor that Lando later wore in Jabba's palace.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 PM

I don't think the actors relative ages should be taken into account. I took them as teenagers at the start of the movie.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:19 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
...Alden Ehrenreich is 29; Harrison Ford was 35 when Star Wars: A New Hope came out. Is it supposed to be six years or so before the Battle of Yavin?....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
The thing that made it baffling was that the timeframe was never really established in Solo. I think we're expected to assume that this was taking place a decade or so ahead of A New Hope, but the actors' relative ages would give us 6 years (Ford was 34 when ANH came out, and Ehrenreich is 28)....
Hmm. Should I use my powers of invisibility for good or for evil?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Chewbacca's age is specifically mentioned as 190. I know this isn't common knowledge, but in the promotional materials for the first Star Wars: A New Hope he was described as a 200 year old Wookiee. That makes Solo as being set ten years before. Han is around 18 or 19 in the prologue, and ~22 in the main story, making him ~32 in ANH.

Because a lot of Han's origins were fudged around with in the old EU novels, his age wasn't always clear, the best guess was 29 years before ANH. They've had to nail that down somewhat for this movie, so officially he was born ~32 years before ANH.

Real actor ages are not relevant in Hollywood.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
But having Maul in there without any nod to his survival of his bisection by Obi Wan's lightsaber in Phantom Menace is going to make people confused
You missed the robot legs?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
You missed the robot legs?
I saw them, but I was looking for them. My wife wasn't, and she didn't notice them.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:30 AM

I didn’t see his legs either.

Quote:
Hmm. Should I use my powers of invisibility for good or for evil?
But I do see you, EH!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM

So when they cut to the first scene of Han as a soldier in the middle of a battle, did anyone else assume that the Imperial recruiter just lied to Han and sent him too infantry boot camp, instead of flight school?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:18 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
...But I do see you, EH!
Whew!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
So when they cut to the first scene of Han as a soldier in the middle of a battle, did anyone else assume that the Imperial recruiter just lied to Han and sent him too infantry boot camp, instead of flight school?
Oh, for sure. I think that was the intended joke, which did get a laugh. But then they had to kind of retcon it later in the story to explain Han’s piloting proficiency.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:40 AM

I finally saw it , and while I liked it, something about it just didn't "pop" for me like Rogue One.

It's kind of hard to describe, but I think it suffers from what I call "The Abrams Effect," a term I coined after the Star Trek franchise reboot.

Basically, and just IMO, Solo, like Star Trek, is a series of "decent" to "good" action scenes/special-effect extravaganzas, daisy-chained together by a weak overall story.

There's solid acting/performances all around, good characterizations (and since this is a younger, still-forming Han Solo, comparisons to Harrison Ford/Ep.4 are unfair, IMO), even decent dialog/chemistry, but something is just....not quite coming together, not quite coming into focus.

Maybe there's no sense of the "Grand" in Solo; like Rogue One, Solo is a story about people, caught up in bigger events. Unlike Rogue One, where small actions at the beginning leads to fleets duking it out for the survival of Freedom/Justice (tm) in the Galaxy, Solo is more like Ocean's Eleven.

In Space.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM

I haven’t seen the movie, but just learned that it was directed by Ron Howard, so now I think I’ll go!
Old 06-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I haven’t seen the movie, but just learned that it was directed by Ron Howard, so now I think I’ll go!

He didn't go.

Sorry, just simulating Howard's narration on Arrested Development
Old 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I suppose that the explanation would be that Han knows what the last name is but he hasn't used it since whenever and he certainly doesn't want what he's doing to get his father killed.

I would have preferred that Han came up with Solo himself. I like that the Imperial officer didn't care and just needed a name but Han doing it adds a moment to him becoming his own man and making a journey towards "Han Solo" we see in ANH and subsequent movies.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
...I was one of the people very confused about Darth Maul's inclusion, since the math didn't work out for me. Honestly, taking a character who was sliced in half on screen and fell to his death and throwing him back into the mix seems dumb. But certainly not the dumbest bit of Star Wars canon.

...L3 was a joy, and the prison break was great. I also liked that while her claim that Lando was in love with her was legitimately funny, it was maybe also true?....
Agreed on both points. I particularly liked the "girl talk" scene with L3 and Qi'ra in the Falcon's cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Was I the only one getting a Brienne of Tarth vibe from L3 and a Rocket Raccoon vibe from Rio Durant?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Clarke looks much better with her normal dark hair than as a blonde on Game of Thrones.
Heh. I like her plenty, either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
...What I did have trouble with was a space dwelling Lovecraftian monster the size of Manhattan Island that lived in a...what was that? Dust cloud? With rocks to bump against? What did it live on? How did it reproduce? (Maybe the one in the asteroid in ESB was a juvenile?)
All good questions!

Quote:
Just saw it and the best I can say is it was "fine". Kinda like a meal at TGI Fridays. It's fine. Nothing to write home about....
Pretty much how I reacted, too.

Quote:
...I think the Qi'ra storyline will continue onscreen, in the Boba Fett and Kenobi movies, and I think Han, Chewie and, Lando, and Maul will recur in them too, to varying degrees. Han won't meet Obi Wan, for example, as that would mess up continuity, but Lando might, and Qi'ra could very easily do so. I expect we'll see Jabba the Hutt and the other known Bounty Hunters too, and maybe even Cad Bane or Hondo.
I could go for this (although I could do without Cad Bane or Hondo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
...Honestly I think what Disney missed is what made Star Wars so beloved is it was rare. Now it's everywhere and every year. It's just another Movie that is out now.
Yeah, that was probably part of it.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think the Qi'ra storyline will continue onscreen, in the Boba Fett and Kenobi movies, and I think Han, Chewie and, Lando, and Maul will recur in them too, to varying degrees. Han won't meet Obi Wan, for example, as that would mess up continuity, but Lando might, and Qi'ra could very easily do so. I expect we'll see Jabba the Hutt and the other known Bounty Hunters too, and maybe even Cad Bane or Hondo.
Quote:
I could go for this (although I could do without Cad Bane or Hondo).
It's already happened in the canon Lucasfilm produced animated web series Star Wars: Forces of Destiny. The episode that premiered the same day Solo was released features Hondo and IG-88 teaming up to collect a bounty on Qi'ra.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for that, I watched the 1st 4(?) Forces of Destiny and forgot about them -- I may have to catch up

Brian
Old 06-15-2018, 06:53 PM

I went in with zero expectations, and thought it was great. Ron Howard's directing style is a perfect fit with this new Disney-fied Star Wars universe. And the fact that it was written by Lawrence Kasdan (and his kid!) helped a lot, too.

My favorite line was, "I've got a really good feeling about this!" Which not only was funny, but showed that Han was younger and less cynical in his youth.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:12 AM

Finally saw it. Geez, was it DARK. And I am not talking thematically. The image was frustratingly dark. My wife and I couldn't discern faces or what was going until they got to the refinery planet. It was bad. I don't know if the projector was turned down low, but it was miserable. As far as the movie goes, (what we could see) it was enjoyable.

But those of you trying to establish a timeline based on ages and whatever in the Star Wars universe, wouldn't years be counted differently if you were from a different planet? I mean, Kasshyyk may orbit its star 4 times as many as Correllia orbits its star. Unless, there's some standardized universal "Year" they've established.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:10 AM

I’ve got to assume there’s been a galactic establishment of standard time, just like the Western notions of hours and minutes and seconds (and time zones) are now in use all over planet Earth.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:09 PM

The Mouse is worried.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Too many pundits are reacting to these movies from a limited point of view, like they're TV shows that can dodge and weave depending on ratings; but huge VFX tentpole movies take years and years to make, and they don't have the luxury to react on a dime. They also can take years to be accepted and looked at objectively. The "Exit Poll" approach is not a good guide for anything, especially epic sagas that resonate through pop culture and appeal to wide audiences.

Lucasfilm prepped Solo years ago, probably during the production of The Force Awakens. They had no reason to expect it to fail, and there's only so much course correcting they could've done if it looked like it might fail. The best they could do is replace the Directors when they had troubles on set, which they felt they had to do, even at the last minute.

I think Solo's failure was unpredictable, unfixable, and are just the risks of the game. They're Disney, they know that. Over-reacting to it is a bad idea. I would be heavily disappointed if Lucasfilm are thinking too short term. They could make things worse before they get better.

Having said that, the Fett and Kenobi movies refuse to be officially announced, they've been cautious about them from the start. If they are, as I assume, the continuation of the Qi'ra storyline, and Solo wasn't actually meant to be about Han Solo at all, but the jumping off point for the new characters of Qi'ra and perhaps Enfys Nest, then couching it in familiarity surely seemed like a solid plan, that only failed through chance, and as new characters with new storylines seem to, apparently, be what everyone wants, they should be happy with what they're doing. Unless it's a Skywalker saga film, when they seem to want only predictability and formula.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM

The Solo movie is not that bad but the Solo character was pretty well fleshed out in Star Wars 4,5,6,7.

There is NOT a lot more to really explore with the Solo character.

That being said, a lot of the Solo movie is trying to introduce new characters. However there becomes too many characters to follow.

I am a big Star fan but if you ask me to name the main Star Wars characters without using the internet I would go:

Darth Vader
Luke
Leia
Han Solo
Obiwan Kenobi
Rey
Darth Maul
Jabba the Hutt
R2D2 and C3PO
Palpatine
Yoda
After that, the characters become a lot harder to keep up with.

Thinking a little harder, I come up with

Chewbacca
Finn
Qui-Gon
Boba Fett
Jyn Erso
Count Dooku
General Hux
Captain Phasma
Padme
BB8
Greedo
General Grevious
Darth Maul
Porkins
Biggs
General Tarkin

It becomes a little too many characters to invest in and some of these characters are similar to each other, ie BB8 and R2D2, or General Hux, Tarkin or Count Dooku.

Compare Solo to the 2 movies that are likely to top the charts in 2018

Avengers 3 and Black Panther

There are even more characters in those movies than Star Wars but the characters in their are probably more interesting being Superheros with interesting powers

ie

Hulk
Spiderman
Captain America
Thor
Thanos
Loki
Iron Man
etc

The superheros are interesting in that they represent the ability to use their physicasl powers to prevent crime and help the world and yet they are conflicted as they also have flaws

ie Spiderman is the wisecraking teenager who is also insecure with girls and having his Uncle Ben killed (who he blames himself for)

Banner/Hulk is someone who has to control his temper or he goes on a smashing spree.

Thor is conflicted by his half brother, Loki and his sister, not to mention living up to the legacy of his father, Odin

Thanos is the all powerful Villian who can best even the strongest of the Avengers

Iron Man is the billionaire playboy who uses technology to be a superhero. without it, he is just an ordinary complete with flaws guy.

For me, it is more fun watching the Superheros deal with their problems and also battle other Superheros and there is still a quite a bit of uncovered territory with the Superhero movies.

Plus, its easy to add more superheros

ie Black Panther

Last edited by ssgenius; Yesterday at 11:32 PM.
Old Today, 03:39 AM

I wasn't planning on seeing it originally, and went in with low expectations. It wasn't terrible, but it was the worst Star Wars movie since the prequels. It felt like they had a checklist of "What we know about Han Solo's backstory", and were just ticking off boxes. A lot of the references fell flat, and it would have been better to leave some things as mysteries. Some of the subtler references worked better. Ehrenreich was passable as Han, but some of the supporting characters like Glovers Lando were much better. It was ultimately a very forgettable movie.