Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Except pitching, overall there is too little already.
There is no reason at all to believe this is true. Pitching is better than ever. These are objective facts:

1. Pitchers throw harder than ever.
2. Pitchers are dominating the game through strikeouts to an extent never before seen, but aren't walking any more men than they ever have.
3. Scoring levels are not high, despite conditions for home runs being extremely favorable.
4. Improvements in fielding cannot explain any of this.

The idea that expansion makes pitching worse baffles me; it should make hitting worse too. AAA isn't a hitter's paradise, so the notion that the talent level below MLB has a disproportionate amount of capable hitters and incapable pitchers isn't really supported by common sense. I went and looked at offensive levels in expansion years but it's hard to tell what happened. Sometimes things did not change to any significant extent (1961, 1962, 1998) and sometimes they went up, but the times they went up there's either

1. Conflating factors: offense went way up in 1969, but they changed the rule to make that happen, or

2. It just makes no sense. In the 1977 AL and 1993 NL expansions offense went up a lot - but it goes up just as much in the league that DIDN'T expand, and you can't explain it by saying that league lost good pitchers to the expansion teams. Indeed, in the case of 1977, the Mariners and Blue Jays had probably the most restrictive expansion draft rules ever, and they got pretty much NO good pitchers from any other team. Why would the Seattle Mariners being shitty cause the Phillies to score more runs? Weird.

Last edited by RickJay; 06-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Which means we're due for a major rule change, because TPTB like scoring, not strikeouts.

RickJay - A couple of your ideas are non-starters. No city or team would allow another team into its market in the same league. NYC already has one in each. And don't bring up the Dodgers and the Giants. That was pre-TV, when you rooted for the team in your neighborhood. LA could get an AL team, I'll admit. If only because it would send those up-start Angels back to the hell-hole of Orange County where they belong. Your dreams are nice, but since MLB can't come up with 30 decent owners now, just where are the new ones going to come from?

I can see some of those cities you mention supporting teams, but Las Vegas will need to build a dome before they can field a team. A 1pm start in August in Vegas is a death sentence.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:19 PM

The baseball commissioner has said no expansion until the two ugly ballparks are made pretty.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to be in Washington DC on September 24, and the Nationals are at home against the Marlins. How difficult are tickets going to be? As of now, there is good availability. Is there any particular part of the ballpark I should sit in? Usually, I like to sit along the third base line. As of today, I don't know how many of us there will be, it could be just me or as many as 3.

I know there were articles about public transit not running late at night during some of the Nationals playoff games, is this still an issue? I haven't picked a hotel yet and I'd prefer not to have a $50 (or more) cab ride because the train isn't running.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:38 PM

Teams, nearly all teams are short of pitching now. The staff size is now 12+. Hard to think 10 more teams won't make the situation worse.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:11 PM

Nats commit four baserunning goofs in a row! Adams doubled off second on a line drive, then Soto picked off first. Then Eaton out trying to stretch a single, and then Turner picked off first.

Guess they figure they might as well spot the Yankees some runs, it's not like they're any good...
Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Teams, nearly all teams are short of pitching now. The staff size is now 12+. Hard to think 10 more teams won't make the situation worse.
They have more pitchers but they're short of pitching?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Which means we're due for a major rule change, because TPTB like scoring, not strikeouts.

RickJay - A couple of your ideas are non-starters. No city or team would allow another team into its market in the same league.
Of course they would oppose such a thing. My point was that NY could support another team, not that it wouldn't piss off the existing ones. You could have teams in Brooklyn, Manhattan (if space can be found) or New Jersey, which is close enough.

If I was commissioner this is how it would be.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
They have more pitchers but they're short of pitching?
Warm bodies. Quantity =/= quantity.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

6 team expansion. Mexico City, Havana, Montreal, Las Vegas, Austin...Charlotte?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
6 team expansion. Mexico City, Havana, Montreal, Las Vegas, Austin...Charlotte?
Portland OR wants a team
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

They can have Miami's.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:48 PM

I like Dan Duquette and he's done a good job patching together a serviceable roster with minimal resources during his time with the Orioles, but he seriously needs to be fired, and possibly given a mental checkup for giving Chris Davis that ridiculous $100+ million contract. It stinks of Peter Angelos' word from on high of course, but unfortunately we have to wait for God to fire Angelos.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They can have Miami's.
From newspaper reports, it looks like the Portland baseball group is concentrating on getting the A's. But I'm sure they wouldn't turn down the Marlins if they became available first.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

I thought the A's were looking at Vegas.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Charter Jays Fan

They're looking for a stadium. Whomever builds it first gets the team.

God bless them, they have tried like five places in the Bay Area, and all have fallen through. It's not about the market. The East Bay is a big market. It's about a stadium.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 AM

To non Yankees and Mets fans, is there a trade for them to make that sends Degrom to the Yanks.

I'm thinking you start with Sheffield and/or German. Include a young bullpen arm, then their choice Frazier or Hicks. Then add Drury and 3 more prospects.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
This is a bit tougher than you think. How do you do it and stick to 162 games?

If you go 18 times in-division that's 54. That leaves 108 games against 12 teqams, which is terrible; it's 9 each, which means uneven home and away and it's 5 games and 4, necessitating a lot of 2 or 4 game series.

You could do 12 against everyone, and... no, that's 180 games. 16 in division (all 4-game series?) is 48 games, which leaves 114, which sucks.

14 games in division is 42 total, leaving 10 against each extradivisional team - again, was too many 2 game series.

If you work from the outside in, 6 games against extradivisional opponents works; that's 72. But then you're playing divisional opponents 30 times.

Personally I'd like to see further expansion. 40 teams sounds about right.
Here's how I would do it. Start by giving Montreal an NL franchise, and give Portland an NL franchise. Then split into divisions as follows:

AL East
New York
Boston
Tampa Bay
Baltimore

AL Central
Detroit
Chicago
Cleveland
Toronto

AL Midwest
Kansas City
Texas
Houston
Minnesota

AL West
Seattle
Oakland
Los Angeles
Portland

NL East
New York
Philadelphia
Miami
Washington

NL Central
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Montreal
Atlanta

NL Midwest
Milwaukee
Colorado
Chicago
St Louis

NL West
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Francisco
Arizona

Each team plays the other 3 teams in its own division 16 times = 48 games

Each team plays the 4 teams in the assigned other division 12 times = 48 games
That would be East v Central and Midwest v West

Each team plays the 8 teams in the other two divisions of its league 8 times = 64 games
So East would play Midwest and West 8 times,
Central would play Midwest and West 8 times,
Midwest would play East and Central 8 times,
West would play East and Central 8 times

That makes 160 games. To that we add one home and home game with the natural rival of the other league. If there is no natural rivalry, we create one. Now we're at 162 games.

You could even set it up so the division that you play 12 games against would rotate every year. Year one East v Central, Midwest v West, Year two East v Midwest, Central v West, year 3 East v West, Central v Midwest

Last edited by BobLibDem; 06-15-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The assigned division thing is interesting. You're setting up a lot of 4-game series but oh well.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
To non Yankees and Mets fans, is there a trade for them to make that sends Degrom to the Yanks.

I'm thinking you start with Sheffield and/or German. Include a young bullpen arm, then their choice Frazier or Hicks. Then add Drury and 3 more prospects.
Instead of the Mets giving up a prime arm for peanuts, how about the Yankees taking Jay Bruce, Jose Reyes and another underperforming veteran or two for a batch of good prospects?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
The assigned division thing is interesting. You're setting up a lot of 4-game series but oh well.
It's a little better than present where a guy like me in Michigan only sees the Yankees in Detroit for 3 games a year. This would increase it 33% and if you rotate the assigned divisions, they'd come to town 6 times a year every third year.

As for interleague, other than the marquee Cubs/Sox, Yanks/Mets, Angels/Dodgers, and Giants/As, most don't really care about it. 2 games a year should be enough.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I'm going to be in Washington DC on September 24, and the Nationals are at home against the Marlins. How difficult are tickets going to be? As of now, there is good availability. Is there any particular part of the ballpark I should sit in? Usually, I like to sit along the third base line. As of today, I don't know how many of us there will be, it could be just me or as many as 3.

I know there were articles about public transit not running late at night during some of the Nationals playoff games, is this still an issue? I haven't picked a hotel yet and I'd prefer not to have a $50 (or more) cab ride because the train isn't running.
I've found that stubhub is good for Nationals tickets. Tickets shouldn't be too hard to get against a team like the Marlins. Above 3rd base is a good place to sit at Nats games.

The Metro trains stop running around 11:30, so if the game runs long you could have to take a cab or Uber. They won't extend the train hours for a regular season game.

It's a nice ballpark, have fun!
Old 06-15-2018, 01:35 PM

Commissioner Manfred open to the idea of banning the shift:

https://www.apnews.com/205ef69e349548c89df4265994bfdb87

Although I bemoan the decline in offense created in part by the wider use of the defensive shift, I hope the rules can be tweaked in other ways to avoid changing the game so fundamentally.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
Commissioner Manfred open to the idea of banning the shift:

https://www.apnews.com/205ef69e349548c89df4265994bfdb87

Although I bemoan the decline in offense created in part by the wider use of the defensive shift, I hope the rules can be tweaked in other ways to avoid changing the game so fundamentally.
The powers-that-be seem forever intent on "fixing" that which is not broken. If something needs to be banned, it's the infernal replay reviews, which delay the game far longer than IBBs, pitching changes, or anything else imaginable.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 PM

In the game against the Yankees a couple nights ago, the Nats' Juan Soto got 4 RBI, including a three-run and a solo HR.

I'm loving the way this kid handles the bat. And he's great on defense, too.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I agree, I HATE replay. It’s making all sports harder to watch. ‘Get it right’ has replaced the use of replay to overturn the most hideous incorrect calls.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're setting up a lot of 4-game series but oh well.
19 4 game series does seem like a lot*, but you could use it to bring back double headers. Either Saturday (if the visiting team needs to get out early on Sunday) or Sunday (if they don't).

My personal scheduling suggestion would be to make sure that one game is played around 4:30-5p ET every weekday during the season. Call it the Happy Hour game and put it on the MLB channel. Give me something to watch at the pub after work!

* I see all 16 series against the "other 2 divisions" as 4 game series, but in Division it would be 4 3-game series and 1 4-game series against each team. Alternatively, for in Division games, you could go 2 2s where it fits the schedule Mon-Tue or Tue-Wed.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:29 AM

At last night's not-quite-MLB game against the Indianapolis Indians in Columbus, the Clippers' Francisco Mejia tied things up with a grand slam in the bottom of the sixth - then during the ensuing pitching change this tune blared over the loudspeakers.

Quite a retro moment.

Is it coming back into fashion at other ballparks, or are the Clippers unique in deciding that nostalgia should overcome negative vibes?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
At last night's not-quite-MLB game against the Indianapolis Indians in Columbus, the Clippers' Francisco Mejia tied things up with a grand slam in the bottom of the sixth - then during the ensuing pitching change this tune blared over the loudspeakers.

Quite a retro moment.

Is it coming back into fashion at other ballparks, or are the Clippers unique in deciding that nostalgia should overcome negative vibes?
Glitter will most likely die in prison, but I wonder if the Clippers know they are paying royalties to a convicted child molester. Even after the NFL dumped him in 2006, Glitter was still raking in hundreds of thousands from royalties in the U.S. He even made a big score when a trailer for Silver Linings Playbook used Rock n' Roll Part 2.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 PM

Astros have now won 11 straight, including all 10 of a 10-game road trip. They play 26 more games through the all-star break, all 26 of them against teams with a .500 or lower record. Their pitching has fallen off a bit from the ridiculous early-season results but their offense has improved.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:37 PM

I've been a Yankees fan for a really long time but I'm seriously considering switching my allegiance to the Mets just because this video is so amazing. I laughed my ass off for about 2 hours. "OUR ASS IS IN THE JACKPOT!"
Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Today's Instant Trivia:
Quote:
Add time travel to the list of Juan Soto's accomplishments. On Monday, the Washington Nationals rookie crushed a pinch-hit homer against the New York Yankees in the continuation of a game that started May 15 -- five days before his big league debut. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Soto's blast will not be considered his first major league homer, but it will be counted as a home run hit on May 15.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 06-18-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
The Nats should send Harper down to take Soto's place in Double A.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Jays Fan

You sure don't want a guy who hits homers and gets on base on your team.

Got to see the Father's Day game between the Jays and Nats with my Small One. And what a game it was; close all the way and the Jays hit four home runs and won it late.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Cubs get postponed due to the rain as well as electrical problems at Wrigley. Now they’ve scheduled a split double header with the first game starting at 12 noon tomorrow? That’s got to suck for the people holding tickets for tonight’s game, I’m hoping they still have the policy that you can also exchange your ticket for another game as there can’t be many people that can just take a day off on a Tuesday to go see a ballgame unless you’re a retiree.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
You sure don't want a guy who hits homers and gets on base on your team....
Except he hasn't been doing that for weeks. See this cite: http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-...less-work.html

The Nats are loaded with outfielders, Bryce needs some time on the pine til he can figure out what's wrong. It's not that much fun watching a .217 hitter strike out with consistency. He refuses to bunt up the first-base line against the shift, which would be a guaranteed hit every time, or to choke up and try to punch singles here and there.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
He refuses to bunt up the first-base line against the shift, which would be a guaranteed hit every time
Objection, Your Honor! Assumes facts not in evidence. Bryce doesn't run out possible singles. He's a SUPERSTAR and such things are beneath him.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:29 PM

So anyone have any minor league guys on your favorite team who you'd like to see purely because of the name? The Astros have a pitcher at AAA named Cy Sneed. I think maybe they'll allow him to pitch from 50 feet with a run-up based purely on the name.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 AM

Mike Trout has racked up 6.5 WAR (6.3 fWar.) That's just stupid. The guy is a modern day Mays or Mantle, and even though the stat geeks love him, it still feels a little under the radar. Probably because the Angels have been non-contenders for most of his career.

Also, Gleyber Torres has 14 homers. Ohtani better hurry back or he's going to steal his ROY award.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Devers has 12. Don't get too excited; we're not even at the break yet.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Devers has 12. Don't get too excited; we're not even at the break yet.
I am excited. And who cares about Devers and his 0.1 WAR and 91 OPS+? He's not even a rookie.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Despite his September callup, yes, he's a rookie.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:49 AM

We are talking about Rafael Devers, right?

He was called up on July 25th. He had 222 ABs last season. More than 130 in a season and you're not a rookie any more.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Rafael Devers' rookie season was 2017. He was brought up in July, not September.

I'd still love to have him.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Cubs closer Brandon Morrow was placed on the DL after experiencing back spasms. While undressing at home.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...king-pants-off
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Mike Trout has racked up 6.5 WAR (6.3 fWar.) That's just stupid. The guy is a modern day Mays or Mantle, and even though the stat geeks love him, it still feels a little under the radar. Probably because the Angels have been non-contenders for most of his career.
Trout is just ridiculous. I don't like the Angels at all, but I'll often turn to them on MLB.TV just to watch Trout. He's made 7 outs in his last 8 games. In that 8-game stretch, he's batting .696 with 11 walks and 4 homers.

If he were playing in Los Angeles proper, or in New York or Chicago or St. Louis, he'd probably be fronting national ad campaigns for about five different products, and be on the news every night. As it is, though, one of the greatest players of all time could probably walk down the street in most American cities and not even get stopped for an autograph.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:34 PM

At the other end of the scale, my Orioles are currently on pace for a 46-win season.

Chris Davis, the $100-million man, has been sat down after hitting .150/.227/.227 over the course of 57 games. While Mike Trout is having one of the best seasons ever, Davis was on track for the worst full-season figures in the history of baseball.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:06 PM

The O's are in a hella tough division, which doesn't help their record. Too bad they got fooled by guys like Davis and Mark Trumbo.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
That makes 160 games. To that we add one home and home game with the natural rival of the other league. If there is no natural rivalry, we create one. Now we're at 162 games.
Just leave it at 160. A sacrifice to more playoff games.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
As it is, though, one of the greatest players of all time could probably walk down the street in most American cities and not even get stopped for an autograph.
That's what he gets for playing in Orange County.