Old 06-13-2018, 08:47 PM

Morgenstern

Morgenstern has been irritating people lately. (I have a gift for understatement.) It's gotten to where if you start a word with "M" people spit and cross the street. Some of you are going to come after me for this. Sunny - why in the name of all that's holy would you start a thread for an attention-seeking fool/troll/ass/monster/jerk/hamster like Morgenstern? Well, I'll tell you why. I like to read threads is why. I like to open threads, read the OP, follow a discussion, and maybe enter a post or two myself. I'm sick - SICK I say - of every single thread on the Board being about someone fighting with Morgenstern or Morgenstern fighting with everyone.

So. Here it is. The equivalent of locking all y'all into a room until you work it out or silence falls. It may not work. You may still fight in every thread from here to eternity, in which case I'll just watch Brooklyn 99 re-runs, and see if Fotheringay-Phipps will turn into a singularity if he contorts his arguments enough. That would be cool.

Right then - off you go.

Disclosures - objects in this thread are NOT closer than they appear. I did in fact accept Morgenstern's apology for being a misogynistic jerk. This is in no way endorses his behavior in other regards, including, but not limited to attacking members for mental health issues, and details of their personal lives.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:53 PM

I don't think that every single thread on the Board is about someone fighting with Morgenstern. You are incorrect.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 PM

Well, apparently this one isn't. You win.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 PM

Yay! I won!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM

A Pit Thread? Well, I'll just say this, if he didn't have sycophants, an audience, and some enablers he wouldn't be so prolific. He's your pal so you overlook his sadism.

Anyways, good luck with your thread. I believe you'll need it.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 PM

I still don't know who he is. Did he bother my friend asahi?

Last edited by TriPolar; 06-13-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Not naita, asahi. or how bout both of you get a username that spells something
Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 PM

I just want to point out that the term "scotch egg" has nothing to do with Scotland or Scottish cooking.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Yay! I won!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
A Pit Thread? Well, I'll just say this, if he didn't have sycophants, an audience, and some enablers he wouldn't be so prolific. He's your pal so you overlook his sadism.

Anyways, good luck with your thread. I believe you'll need it.
Please read the disclosures from the OP. I made them purple this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Disclosures - objects in this thread are NOT closer than they appear. I did in fact accept Morgenstern's apology for being a misogynistic jerk. This is in no way endorses his behavior in other regards, including, but not limited to attacking members for mental health issues, and details of their personal lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I just want to point out that the term "scotch egg" has nothing to do with Scotland or Scottish cooking.
Is there egg?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 PM

OP, whatta you got against hamsters?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Please read the disclosures from the OP. I made them purple this time.

Is there egg?
There most certainly is an egg, but there is no spoon.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:13 PM

Ok, how about you copy and paste his PM apology over the "sexism on the Dope" posts as a starting point, Sunny. Or is this purely a "lets you and him fight" kinda thing? Because being worried about Morgenstern talk hijacking the OTrU thread is beyond lame.

Last edited by CarnalK; 06-13-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 PM

I read them. It's just that Morgenstern is cowardly, note he isn't defending himself against Bone or the other folks who gave him a bit of a slapping/his own medicine in the Troll thread, and he NEEDS an audience. He found some people he could create a fake affinity with and work with to harass and drive off others who were for whatever reason weak enough to be marginalized. If you are pissed or annoyed with him sufficiently to Pit him instead of giving him attention like this Pit thread does just ignore him. He thrives on feedback, positive or negative it's all the same to him.

I know all this appears ironic coming from me as I know people's perspectives of me on this board. But the main difference is Morgenstern is the bully who punches the weak. I counter-punch the bully. Which is counterproductive and unpopular on a board where bullying is condoned.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:17 PM

"Hamster" is an insult now? I had no idea. What, is it like the "gerbilling" type of hamster? 'Cause then I'd understand it as more of an insult. 😉
Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 PM

Hedgehog. Prickly with a soft underbelly. No person is all bad. Some of you surely know me a bit. I know I am a little Pollyanna. I can't help it. I still think Morgenstern has something to offer. He needs to quit concentrating on a particular poster and jumping in all the way. That could happen. Couldn't it?

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 06-13-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Hedgehog. Prickly with a soft underbelly. No person is all bad. Some of you surely know me a bit. I know I am a little Pollyanna. I can't help it. I still think Morgenstern has something to offer.
Yeah, a face for slappin'.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
What's your excuse then?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Ok, how about you copy and paste his PM apology over the "sexism on the Dope" posts as a starting point, Sunny. Or is this purely a "lets you and him fight" kinda thing? Because being worried about Morgenstern talk hijacking the OTrU thread is beyond lame.
If you look you'll notice I regularly start Pit threads when the bickering in OTRU gets annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
"Hamster" is an insult now? I had no idea. What, is it like the "gerbilling" type of hamster? 'Cause then I'd understand it as more of an insult. 😉
I'll leave that up to you. I was thinking more Monty Python myself.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
What's your excuse then?
I have my own Pit thread. Donít derail this one and if you could read I explained the difference already.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
If you look you'll notice I regularly start Pit threads when the bickering in OTRU gets annoying.
Well, fuck you and your thread then.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

What's OTRU?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I read them. It's just that Morgenstern is cowardly, note he isn't defending himself against Bone or the other folks who gave him a bit of a slapping/his own medicine in the Troll thread, and he NEEDS an audience. He found some people he could create a fake affinity with and work with to harass and drive off others who were for whatever reason weak enough to be marginalized. If you are pissed or annoyed with him sufficiently to Pit him instead of giving him attention like this Pit thread does just ignore him. He thrives on feedback, positive or negative it's all the same to him.

I know all this appears ironic coming from me as I know people's perspectives of me on this board. But the main difference is Morgenstern is the bully who punches the weak. I counter-punch the bully. Which is counterproductive and unpopular on a board where bullying is condoned.

I agree. He's a nasty piece of work.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:57 AM

I can never remember who is who on this board. Which one is Morgenstern? Is he the guy who's always posting stuff?

Oh never mind.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
What's OTRU?
Omnibus Troll r Us thread. Apparently it offends Sunny's sensibilities when it spends more than one page on a specific troll.

Last edited by CarnalK; 06-14-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:16 AM

God damn pit threads where the OP doesn't provide links just makes me hate the OP way more than the pitee.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Yeah, a face for slappin'.
The word you are looking for is "backpfeifengesicht".
Old 06-14-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
The word you are looking for is "backpfeifengesicht".
Gesundheit.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:53 AM

Sorry, octopus. You don't actually just attack the bullies. You are very often the one who starts things. you say things you know will make people angry, and then shit on people because they respond back in anger. And I have seen you pick on the weak.

People who don't want to hurt others will be upset that people are mad at them and try to fix the situation. You don't. You try to make it worse, showing you meant to piss them off in the first place. And you cackle with glee when it happens, showing you were just trolling in the first place.

That pit thread opened my eyes. You weren't angry that people were mean to you. You were happy that you had an excuse.

Last edited by BigT; 06-14-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:03 AM

And, yes, Morgenstern is a dick. Still, I never expected him to go as far as he did there. I'd picked up that he assumes everyone's a troll, and that he'll lay into a poster he doesn't like, no matter what thread it hijacks, but not that he'd cross that line. I did join the ATMB thread specifically to try and get the mods to maybe even suspend him over it.

So, while what I believe what I said above, I do think you are correct that you are the better person, octopus.

Last edited by BigT; 06-14-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I did in fact accept Morgenstern's apology for being a misogynistic jerk.
Sunny, this is the part that confuses me. Morgenstern is a terrible person--but from all signs, you're not. Yet you've accepted his apology for being a misogynistic jerk.

Why?

This is a guy who attacks men over and over by declaring them un-manly: they don't have balls, they can't get laid, their women left them. The jerk part is obviously still there, and despite his apologies, I see no sign that his deeply fucked views on gender have changed.

He sees himself as playing for a different team now: he's on the women's team, so he's not directing his vileness as heavily at women. That doesn't change his outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
No person is all bad. Some of you surely know me a bit. I know I am a little Pollyanna. I can't help it. I still think Morgenstern has something to offer. He needs to quit concentrating on a particular poster and jumping in all the way. That could happen. Couldn't it?
Sure, it could happen--but it hasn't happened yet. No person is all bad? Sure--but I'm still not going to eat a cookie that's 90% shit and 10% chocolate chips.

I'd ask you a similar question. I get that you've accepted his apology, but it looks like you've accepted it aspirationally, in hopes that he's going to make some changes. It's not that he needs to quit concentrating on a particular poster; it's that he needs to stop being such a vile person to so many others. If all he's done is to quit directing his shit-cannon at you, is that really enough?

He definitely has taken it as a sign that it's enough. It'd be real helpful to everyone else if it weren't.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 06-14-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 AM

I don't come to the pit very often, but after reading the recently closed thread in ATMB, I did so to post a "Morgernstern is a fucking prick" thread. I'm glad to see this thread has saved me the bother of starting one myself. If this attention is what he craves, I don't care. Anyone who gets their kicks from that sort of thing is certainly not going to bother me. It feels good to vent now and then.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
If this attention is what he craves, I don't care. Anyone who gets their kicks from that sort of thing is certainly not going to bother me. It feels good to vent now and then.
Absolutely. I don't see much percentage in talking directly to that trainwreck in particular (I've started thinking of him as "Westboro"). Venting is one function here; another is talking to folks about their own interaction with him. Some folks are enabling him, IMO, and that's something there could be less of.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 AM

I forget ó is Morgenstern the one who wants California to secede from the Union? I sympathize with the sentiment but found Morgenstern's procedural view astoundingly naive. Has he revised the plan yet to have California ask for admittance as a province of Canada rather than trying to go it alone?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:33 AM

Never mind.

I thought this was the Sharting Fartist pit thread.

Last edited by kayaker; 06-14-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:23 AM

Dropping by to throw my rock too. I took Morgenstern seriously in the beginning and the unmitigated rage that was coming out of him was really bothersome. Now I just see him as circling the bowl and to be pitied.

D'you guys hear that? That sound?

That's silence. No more Morgenstern shitposting every thread in the Pit.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I was thinking more Monty Python myself.
What do you have against mothers, then?
Old 06-14-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
This is the proper forum to discuss trolling?
I thought so.
I'd like to introduce you to a newly discovered form of trolling. Hysteria trolling. That's trolling with a "wet your pants" level of panic and of course, little tantrums.

Hysteria trolling.
You took nearly 24 hours away from the Pit after Bone chewed you out, to construct a narrative to frame your awfulness in a way that lets you look away from it, and this is the best you can come up with?

Out of curiosity, do you think it's going to fly with anyone on earth besides yourself?

You're spiraling, Morgenstern. That nasally sniffling giggle you got going on isn't convincing anyone.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 AM

Also, I know you're at least pretending to try not to be such a sexist piece of shit--so, as a handy reminder, "Hysteria" is a word with deeply misogynistic roots.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Not to take anything away from Morgenstern, but I would note that the OP of this thread has 7 Pit threads attacking individual posters within the last 7 months or so. Some people live to attack other people, and IMO Sunny Daze has more in common with Morgenstern than she would like to admit. (Admittedly, she - unlike Morgenstern - also has a lot of more substantive material as well.)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
Not to take anything away from Morgenstern, but I would note that the OP of this thread has 7 Pit threads attacking individual posters within the last 7 months or so. Some people live to attack other people, and IMO Sunny Daze has more in common with Morgenstern than she would like to admit. (Admittedly, she - unlike Morgenstern - also has a lot of more substantive material as well.)
AFAICT, she doesn't like the Omnibus Trolls thread cluttered up with too many posts about a single shithead, so when that happens, she starts a new thread. She invited someone else to start it. I, as one of the clutterers, ignored her, having zero attachment to keeping the OTRU thread uncluttered.

She was performing a public service.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
AFAICT, she doesn't like the Omnibus Trolls thread cluttered up with too many posts about a single shithead, so when that happens, she starts a new thread. She invited someone else to start it. I, as one of the clutterers, ignored her, having zero attachment to keeping the OTRU thread uncluttered.

She was performing a public service.
It's not just the Omnibus Trolls thread. Morgenstern, like Octopus, spreads his bullshit far and wide.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Well, fuck you and your thread then.
[Moderating]
Donít say ďfuck youĒ to other posters.

No warning issued.
[/Moderating]
Old 06-14-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
It's just that Morgenstern is cowardly, note he isn't defending himself against Bone or the other folks who gave him a bit of a slapping/his own medicine in the Troll thread
That's because he is a bully. Bullies don't like to fight people who are willing to fight back, they prefer to target people who they think are weak. This is what I suspect has lead to him claiming he has changed his views on sexism. The women are currently showing on this board that they are willing to fight back against the shit they are taking (which is great, and something I fully support BTW), so he is backing off and looking for easier prey.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Also, I know you're at least pretending to try not to be such a sexist piece of shit--so, as a handy reminder, "Hysteria" is a word with deeply misogynistic roots.
Don't you think that's kind of a reach? The vast majority of people really aren't aware of that, or even if they are, really don't use the word "hysterical" in a sexist manner.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Don't you think that's kind of a reach? The vast majority of people really aren't aware of that, or even if they are, really don't use the word "hysterical" in a sexist manner.
"Reminder" might be a reach--consider it a vocabulary lesson, then.

Some folks don't give a shit about the history of the words they use, and will continue describing people as hysterical despite the word's shitty origins. That's on them. But at least if morgenstern decides to do so, he'll do so from a place of knowledge.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:44 PM

I wonder did he ever get that PM?
Old 06-14-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
This is the proper forum to discuss trolling?
I thought so.
I'd like to introduce you to a newly discovered form of trolling. Hysteria trolling. That's trolling with a "wet your pants" level of panic and of course, little tantrums.
Hysteria trolling.
{snip}
You poor thing. You going to be alright? Did you sleep well last night? Actually the proper place for self-admitted trolls is the one that has your name on it, so I brought it here for you. Not worth quoting the whole thing, it's just a red-herring you're throwing out, anyhow, so you can work on your persecution complex.

Start with dropping that cross, it's going to get awfully heavy if you want to play the martyr card. You know what you did, and you continue to do here and your other favorite place you like to cower, and if you really did apologize like in a public setting at the Dope since it was in public, you can point it out to us, because many long-timers are not familiar with it. This shouldn't be too difficult for you to remember if you take one-tenth of an interest in your own life as you do others.

While you're on your new and improved charm offensive tour, maybe you can put down both your cross and your Don Rickle's How to Win Friends and Influence People and tell us a little bit more about yourself. Have any siblings, pets, is there a Mrs. Morgenstern? You're among friends, I can assure you, we won't use or do anything to you that you haven't already done to anybody else.

Quote:
Not Ed, he's the victim...
Of YOU! Wrapping your arms around Ed, isn't going to save you, b/c I'm pretty sure, Ed...well, he's tired of your shit too. Damn, you're thick.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
That's because he is a bully. Bullies don't like to fight people who are willing to fight back, they prefer to target people who they think are weak. This is what I suspect has lead to him claiming he has changed his views on sexism. The women are currently showing on this board that they are willing to fight back against the shit they are taking (which is great, and something I fully support BTW), so he is backing off and looking for easier prey.
I would put it slightly differently.

I actually think that Morgenstern, whatever his other negatives, is rather capable at the insult game. In an evenly stacked situation, he would tend to do very well. But there are very few people who can "win" if the overwhelming majority are against them.

So it's not so much about "fighting back" per se. I think he can deal with targets fighting back. But what happened was that it became pretty clear - which Morgenstern did not initially appreciate - that in a fight where his position was that of a guy defending his right to make jokes about sharing women etc., that the overwhelming majority of the board's posters would be firmly and angrily against him. That was a situation he was not prepared to deal with. So he bailed out and switched teams, hoping for a more comfortable situation where (he thought) he'd have the majority on his side. In a situation like that he was confident that he could deal with targets "fighting back" (and he's right). Unfortunately for him, the majority did not take his side anyway.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:11 PM

And to build on what Fotheringay-Phipps is saying, Morgenstern’s main weapons aren’t necessarily even insults. It’s his persistence in shaping a narrative and his marginalization of his target(s). In order to do that he needs gullible or, more likely, complicit cohorts because a chorus of narrative shapers is is vastly more effective. Alienating the rest of the snark miners was counterproductive so he pivoted.

With regards to “hysteria trolls” and this current attempt at reframing it seems to be the work of a mind that isn’t in a rational state. I’m not sure if it’s drug induced, bi-polar, or something. Whatever it is, I hope Morgenstern seeks the help he needs.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I actually think that Morgenstern, whatever his other negatives, is rather capable at the insult game.
I agree, but I'm not sure why this doesn't make him a bully. It I claimed that I was rather capable at the punching game, would that make me not a bully somehow? I think most would agree that it actually makes it more likely that I would be a bully than the alternative.

Quote:
So he bailed out and switched teams, hoping for a more comfortable situation where (he thought) he'd have the majority on his side.
That is reason #1 I think he's a bully. Being willing to insult someone only when you have a majority at your back is cowardice, and most bullies are cowards. When he got Bone-d in the troll thread, did he respond with insults to a person with power? Nope, he didn't. Instead, he targets the less popular posters, knowing that he's more likely to get away with it with them.

To be honest, the fact that he switched teams so fast also causes me to doubt his sincerity. Mangy does like to call everyone he disagrees with a troll. Psychological projection is a thing, people do tend to paint their enemies with the worst parts of themselves. Now the troll part isn't conclusive by any means, but I find it fits with the rest of the picture. YMMV.

Quote:
Morgensternís main weapons arenít necessarily even insults. Itís his persistence in shaping a narrative and his marginalization of his target(s).
His repeated use of marginalization is reason #2 I'm calling him a bully instead of just a generic asshole.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
I agree, but I'm not sure why this doesn't make him a bully. It I claimed that I was rather capable at the punching game, would that make me not a bully somehow? I think most would agree that it actually makes it more likely that I would be a bully than the alternative.
I wasn't taking issue with your assertion that he's a bully. My issue was with your suggestion that he "don't like to fight people who are willing to fight back, they prefer to target people who they think are weak". I think he would be OK with fighting someone who would fight back, consistent with him being a capable fighter. What he's not OK with is fighting an entire crowd of people fighting back, which is a tough situation for even the most capable fighter.

It's tempting to think of bullies as such cowards that they are afraid to fight an "even fight", but it's not always true.

But I certainly agree that he's a bully in that he enjoys being in the situation where he's (rhetorically) beating someone up, and actively looks for such interactions.

Not sure the distinction above makes all that much difference in the grand scheme of things. But FWIW ...