View Poll Results: If the primary were today with only these options, who do you vote for?
Elizabeth Warren 51 73.91%
Kirsten Gillibrand 13 18.84%
Abstain 5 7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Elizabeth Warren vs Kirsten Gillibrand: Democratic Primary World Cup, First Round

This is a group stage match up for our Democratic Primary World Cup. Everyone is invited to vote in the poll. Feel free to add comments about why you chose one of these candidates over the other one.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I'll begin by apologizing for this post being non-responsive.

My comment, however, is: Am I the only one who looked at this series of threads on the forum page and immediately thought that it was a treasure trove of unreported spammers that would thrill running coach?

The mention of World Cup in all of them led me to believe that someone had hijacked Pleonist's account and was offering links to live soccer matches.

Quote:
Elizabeth Warren vs Kirsten Gillibrand: Democratic Primary World Cup, First Round
Pleonast

Poll: Kamala Harris vs Julian Castro: Democratic Primary World Cup, First Round
Pleonast

Poll: Andrew Yang vs Steve Bullock: Democratic Primary World Cup, First Round
Pleonast

Pete Buttigieg vs John Hickenlooper: Democratic Primary World Cup, First Round
Pleonast

Poll: Cory Booker vs Amy Klobuchar: Democratic Primary World Cup, First Round
Pleonast

Poll: Bernie Sanders vs Jay Inslee: Democratic Primary World Cup, First Round
Pleonast

Poll: Beto O’Rourke vs Tulsi Gabbard: Democratic Primary World Cup, First Round
Pleonast

Poll: Joe Biden vs John Delaney: Democratic Primary World Cup, First Round
Pleonast
Old 05-30-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Nope, there was a earlier thread about interest in a World Cup style primary thread.

I voted Warren, I despise Gillibrand for her role in Al Franken. Gillibrand belongs in the French Revolution, not the Oval Office.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:10 AM

I like both but I prefer Warren. Gillibrand's early stance on Franken is what raised her from mundane Democratic Senator to an admirable standout, relatively speaking, IMO.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-30-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Nope, there was a earlier thread about interest in a World Cup style primary thread.

I voted Warren, I despise Gillibrand for her role in Al Franken. Gillibrand belongs in the French Revolution, not the Oval Office.
I like them both. (but prefer Franken to everyone) I don't blame Gillibrand.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
So you think K.G. should have stood by her friend Al when this stuff was coming out? She should have sacrificed principle for loyalty?

I think the press stuck her out there to look like a scapegoat, but Al brought things on himself.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Warren is smarter, more principled and more experienced IMO.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm with Warren on this one, but not because of the Franken thing (which was unfortunate, but Franken's own fault). I just prefer her positions on the issues.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Yeah. It's not a secret that I think Warren is the best hope to unify the party.

Gillibrand is too close to Wall Street to be the optimal choice in the present moment, and she doesn't seem to be anybody's favorite. But I think the press sideswiped K.G. during Franken's downfall, and I don't think she deserves the especial hatred that's been directed at her.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 05-30-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Gillibrand is fine, and her stance on Franken is a feature, not a bug. But Warren is the Hermione of presidential candidates, and we need a goddamned Hermione at this point. She is my favorite of them all.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM

Liz Warren, who is a true heroine. If Gillibrand is the best the D Party can do, please delete my account.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:58 PM

This one is easy. Warren for sure. And she is growing on me.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Gillibrand is fine, and her stance on Franken is a feature, not a bug. But Warren is the Hermione of presidential candidates, and we need a goddamned Hermione at this point. She is my favorite of them all.
This. I like Gillibrand, but here's the deal with her and all the other 1%ers: they need to say what they bring to the table that none of the other candidates do.

If Gillibrand has an answer for this, I haven't seen it. Warren, OTOH, is bringing it like nobody else in this field. Warren, slam dunk.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:31 PM

I like Gillibrand. I see I'm in the minority here . She has demonstrated an ability to win elections. She's beaten Republicans in a district where Democrats generally did poorly, and in senatorial elections where she should have won anyway she has demolished the opposition. I see that as a good sign. Then again, I don't know why she seems to have gone into hibernation after making her announcement that she was running. That isn;t a good sign.

I think there's a lot to like about Warren, and sometimes I wish I liked her better. But I have serious reservations about her ability to defeat Trump--the whole "I'm an Indian too" business, among other things, does not make me confident that Warren can beat him--and as long as KG is viable (which may not be for long) I'll go for her over Warren.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I think this is pretty much a no-brainer. Elizabeth Warren is someone who really cares about, and can hopefully win over, at least a few of the working class voters who followed the false-prophet of Trump.

I live in New York State and have to say that Gillibrand just doesn't excite me. About the best I could say for her is that I like her better as a Democratic candidate than I would our governor Andrew Cuomo if he decided to run (which thankfully he has not), but that is kind of damning with faint praise.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:46 AM

Ever since the DNA test debacle, Warren has become a laughing stock. Unfortunately, unlike Trump, she can’t afford to be one. I don’t know if Gillibrand can beat Trump, but Warren definitely can’t.