Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Omar Little's Avatar
Omar Little is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Within
Posts: 13,042
Did the Russians attempt to influence the 2016 presidential election through online social media propaganda? YES

Did the Russians hack and publish actual emails of the Clinton campaign and the Democratic party? YES Were these emails fabricated? Not ever claimed by any party

Did people change their votes or decide to not vote based upon the actions of the Russian hacking and propaganda campaigns? NO ONE KNOWS OR HAS ADMITTED THAT THEY DID THIS NOR CAN ANYONE DETERMINE IF IT HAD AN ACTUAL IMPACT ON THE OUTCOME OF THE ELECTION

The Obama administration should have anticipated that such things were occurring and should have taken action. The Trump administration knows that such things happened and should be taking action to prevent such things from happening again.
  #52  
Old 06-03-2019, 12:16 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,565
Obama was in a tough spot because he didn't want to come across as fucking with the process himself. IIRC he did make it known, but the party led by the turtle fella wasn't interested. Meanwhile, candidate Trump himself was appealing to Russia during press conferences.
  #53  
Old 06-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 35,959
In at least one fundamental way -- a lot of things that your father in law knows or thinks he knows about Trump and Clinton are the result of Russian activity.
__________________
*I'm experimenting with E, em, and es and emself as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender.
  #54  
Old 06-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
... The Trump administration knows that such things happened and should be taking action to prevent such things from happening again.
But they need those things to happen again.
  #55  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:23 AM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
But they need those things to happen again.
Yes, Donald isn't going to hit the same kind of inside straight he pulled in '16. He needs close votes and controversy about "fraud" in all the battleground states to make the final outcome as murky as possible in the minds of as many as possible.
  #56  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:46 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
Yes, Donald isn't going to hit the same kind of inside straight he pulled in '16. He needs close votes and controversy about "fraud" in all the battleground states to make the final outcome as murky as possible in the minds of as many as possible.
It depends on what kind of candidate comes out of the Democratic field. If Democrats end up voting for a modern-day equivalent of George McGovern such as Bernie Sanders, I think Trump could win outright. If, OTOH, he faces Kamala Harris, Joe Biden, or someone stronger (not sure who else would be at this point), then Trump's already in danger of losing not only the popular vote but the electoral vote count as well.

I suspect that the back-up plan by the GOP will be to start casting doubt on the legitimacy of the election sometime between the conventions and the debates. Imagine that during the live TV debate, with 75-100 million viewers, Trump has a captive audience and instead of debating issues, the main debate topic could be the legitimacy of the election itself, with Trump repeatedly pointing at Harris or Biden and screaming "This election is a sham! You guys are stealing this country away from 'real' American and we're not gonna let that happen without a fight."

If the lie is told often enough, people will begin to believe it. This is also why you don't impeach until the country is already ready to make that happen. I only see that if there's a major economic meltdown.

Last edited by asahi; 06-04-2019 at 10:49 AM.
  #57  
Old 06-04-2019, 12:50 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post

I suspect that the back-up plan by the GOP will be to start casting doubt on the legitimacy of the election sometime between the conventions and the debates. Imagine that during the live TV debate, with 75-100 million viewers, Trump has a captive audience and instead of debating issues, the main debate topic could be the legitimacy of the election itself, with Trump repeatedly pointing at Harris or Biden and screaming "This election is a sham! You guys are stealing this country away from 'real' American and we're not gonna let that happen without a fight."
And that kind of argument would be far less effectively made if they had taken steps to button down (or is it batten down) election security. And it won't just be the Russians this time. You leave the door open, particularly in so public a fashion, and even you can't control who comes in. The Russians, the Chinese, the North Koreans, the Iranians, the Israelis, the freakin' Albanians, for Pete's sake, a 400 pound guy in his parent's basement. Chaos maximized.
  #58  
Old 06-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Omg your use of red lettering has triggered me into realizing my error.
It has not, however, triggered you into actually addressing the issue. Are you waiting for a statement in large bold underlined blinking red text...?
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017