View Poll Results: Which gets the viral play?
The Perryesque flub 3 25.00%
The "I knew Jack Kennedy ..." moment 6 50.00%
None, both, explain. 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 22,333

Viral debates moment: A flub or a winning moment?


In the days following the first debates which do you think is more likely to be what gets the most play, a flub or a winning moment?
  #2  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,674
People don't tune into NASCAR to see cars driving around a tiny circle.
They tune in to see crashes.

Does this answer your question?
  #3  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,593
Bentsen's "I knew Jack Kennedy" quote was just a brutal one-punch take-down. I don't care if Quayle actually won the rest of the debate, the debate was over from that moment on and everyone knew it.
  #4  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Heffalump and Roo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,252
Neither won. Bentsen lost and Perry dropped out.

Digs like the one Bentsen made are a dime a dozen on the internet. Wiki says it was prepared and rehearsed, so that makes it even less clever. The same might go viral today, but it would probably still be the losing position.
  #5  
Old 06-25-2019, 09:01 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
Neither won. Bentsen lost and Perry dropped out.

Digs like the one Bentsen made are a dime a dozen on the internet. Wiki says it was prepared and rehearsed, so that makes it even less clever. The same might go viral today, but it would probably still be the losing position.
Oh but the fact that he knew Quayle was going to compare himself to Jack Kennedy, and then dropped that one on him...it's a classic.

Bentsen "lost" because Bush was the Veep for a wildly popular president and the man leading the ticket, Dukakis, has the charisma of a corpse.
  #6  
Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 AM
Boycott is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 133
Wouldn't surprise me if Biden's "noun, verb and 9/11" gets turned back on him 11 years later. "Noun, verb and Barack Obama"
  #7  
Old 06-26-2019, 05:39 AM
Boycott is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
Neither won. Bentsen lost and Perry dropped out.

Digs like the one Bentsen made are a dime a dozen on the internet. Wiki says it was prepared and rehearsed, so that makes it even less clever. The same might go viral today, but it would probably still be the losing position.
Reagan's team got hold of President Carter's briefing book ahead of their debate. Who knows if "There you go again" was a spontaneous rebuttal or something they had prepared knowing Carter's talking points in advance.
  #8  
Old 06-26-2019, 06:09 AM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 22,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Oh but the fact that he knew Quayle was going to compare himself to Jack Kennedy, and then dropped that one on him...it's a classic.

Bentsen "lost" because Bush was the Veep for a wildly popular president and the man leading the ticket, Dukakis, has the charisma of a corpse.
No question that Bentsen "won" the debate ... winning the election is a different beast of course. (And that Perry flamed out at that moment.)

Being able to predict what will be said by the other side and having a killer response at the ready is called debate prep.

I'm guessing that none up on stage have expectations set so high or are so dumb as to have a major flub moment in this sort of a venue, but that there will be no killer lines either.

I'm not sure how much will be attacking Biden and how much trying to get their own brand messages more out there. Biden will focus on repeating his branding: best to beat Trump; experience; and willing to work with the other side. A Biden attack might go viral but won't get much positive impact to the attacker I don't think. The second tier candidates won't it themselves (Warren, Harris, Sanders, and maybe consider Buttigieg there). Booker and others of that level might.
  #9  
Old 06-26-2019, 10:04 AM
Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,620
I don't think there will be any major flubs - all the candidates will repeat their standard talking points. And all the media will cover is "horse race" stuff - who did better than expected, did Biden shore up his support among key demographics, who will be the next to drop out, etc.

Regards,
Shodan
  #10  
Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Doctor Jackson's Avatar
Doctor Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Jawja
Posts: 10,459
IMHO - if we are talking about the Dem debates - CNN will play up the high points, Fox will play up the flubs and the other networks will fall somewhere in between.
  #11  
Old 06-26-2019, 11:22 AM
enalzi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,017
My guess is one of the lesser known candidates will try to make a big splash, only to have a "What is Aleppo" moment.
  #12  
Old 06-26-2019, 12:30 PM
DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I don't think there will be any major flubs - all the candidates will repeat their standard talking points. And all the media will cover is "horse race" stuff - who did better than expected, did Biden shore up his support among key demographics, who will be the next to drop out, etc.

Regards,
Shodan
I think you can count on Biden for a good flub here and there, its like his thing.
  #13  
Old 06-26-2019, 02:48 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if Biden's "noun, verb and 9/11" gets turned back on him 11 years later. "Noun, verb and Barack Obama"
Really? Has he been playing that card enough that that line would be effective? If so, I've missed it.

Lord knows I'm critical of Biden, but he's a hell of a lot more substantive than Rudy 9/11 ever was.
  #14  
Old 06-26-2019, 03:16 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
I'm not sure how much will be attacking Biden and how much trying to get their own brand messages more out there. Biden will focus on repeating his branding: best to beat Trump; experience; and willing to work with the other side. A Biden attack might go viral but won't get much positive impact to the attacker I don't think. The second tier candidates won't it themselves (Warren, Harris, Sanders, and maybe consider Buttigieg there). Booker and others of that level might.
I'm thinking any attacks on Biden will either come from Bernie or the 1%ers.

I don't see any of the more substantive candidates tonight attacking Biden, there's nothing really to be gained from going after someone that's not there. If anyone tonight does, it'll be a loose cannon like Tulsi Gabbard or Bill DeBlasio.

Tomorrow, I see Kamala Harris and Pete Buttigieg trying to establish themselves in a positive way in order to move up in the polls. Bernie's dropping, and he might take a verbal swing at Biden as his dropping in the polls has clearly gotten to him. But he's more likely to criticize Warren, who he feels is stealing his followers and his ideas.

They've got six 1%ers tomorrow night: Gillibrand, Bennet, Hickenlooper, Swalwell, Williamson, and Yang. Williamson's probably amazed to be there at all, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more of the other five attack Biden. Anything to break out of obscurity.

I've heard more than one report from the campaign trail that people wish the 1%ers would shut up and go home. We can only hope that a failure to break through this week, combined with higher bars for getting into subsequent debates, convinces much of this crowd to think it over during the weekend, then call it quits on Monday.
  #15  
Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 AM
Doctor Jackson's Avatar
Doctor Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Jawja
Posts: 10,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
IMHO - if we are talking about the Dem debates - CNN will play up the high points, Fox will play up the flubs and the other networks will fall somewhere in between.
Yes, I'm quoting myself!

Fox News debate story today: 'Fox & Friends' takes on Castro challenging Beto at Dem debate: 'Straight-up advocating for no borders'

CNN debate story today: Opinion: Which Democratic candidate came out on top?

BBC: no story about debate in top 10 headlines
  #16  
Old 06-27-2019, 08:29 AM
Boycott is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 133
Sometimes the best way to pounce on a candidate stuff up is not to do or say anything at all.

President Ford when he remarked there is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe for example. Carter just had to stand there and watch as the moderator confusingly asked the President if he really said that. Then the fallout was lots of criticism from the press and Ford ended up having to invite community leaders who originate from those countries to the White House to meet him and discuss the issue, what he really meant and how he'd confront it if elected for 4 more years.

All the while Carter could put his feet up.
  #17  
Old 06-28-2019, 04:26 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I'm thinking any attacks on Biden will either come from Bernie or the 1%ers.

I don't see any of the more substantive candidates tonight attacking Biden, there's nothing really to be gained from going after someone that's not there.
Well, one out of two.

Wednesday night, sure enough, Biden's name never came up. But last night - well, here's HuffPost's lede:
Quote:
MIAMI ― Sen. Kamala Harris’ first big moment of the debate was saying, “America does not want to witness a food fight.” Her second was heaving an entire tray of spaghetti in former Vice President Joe Biden’s face.
So yeah, my first prediction was a FAIL. But damn, what a great lede!
  #18  
Old 06-28-2019, 05:21 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,255
Anyway, the consensus seems to be that Kamala Harris had a winning moment.

WaPo: Harris upstages Biden and Sanders with dominating performance

NYT:
Quote:
Kamala Harris stood out from the 10-person crowd several times during the NBC debate. Her exchange with Joe Biden, who is leading in the polls, put him on the defensive.

It was a two-hour debate with 10 candidates. But there was only one defining moment: Senator Kamala Harris of California invoking her personal history about being bused to school as she directly challenged Joseph R. Biden Jr., the former vice president, over his record on race and the use of busing to integrate schools.
She's gonna be rising in the polls, the only question is, a little or a lot? I expect this should get her out of single digits, at least.
  #19  
Old 06-28-2019, 07:18 AM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,584
"My time is up."

I'm afraid you're right, Joe.

Thanks for self-moderating and the lack-luster finger raising when asked for show of hands.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017