View Poll Results: Which political office would you choose?
President, for 4 years 10 16.95%
Vice President, for 8 years 3 5.08%
Senator, for 12 years 5 8.47%
House Representative, indefinitely 5 8.47%
state governor, for 8 years 2 3.39%
mayor, indefinitely 4 6.78%
state legislator, indefinitely 1 1.69%
Supreme Court justice, indefinitely 21 35.59%
Cabinet official (i.e., SecDef, SecState,) indefinitely 4 6.78%
governmental agency director (i.e., CIA, FBI), indefinitely 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2019, 09:22 AM

Which political office would you take?

Straight-up poll (also, although these are for American political offices, feel free to substitute any position of your own if you are a non-American Doper - for instance, prime minister instead of president)

Poll incoming:
Old 07-26-2019, 09:24 AM

Being VP could be kind of cool as long as it was for a pres I was compatible with and he (or she) wasn't going to die.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Cabinet official, but Iíd rather be Chief of Staff.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Supreme Court justice, indefinitely. Oh, yeah.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Depends. Starting now? Starting in January 2021? If a Senator, do I get to pick my state, and who I'd be replacing, or would I be a Magical 101st Senator? And if a Supreme Court Justice, are we expanding the Court to include me, or am I replacing someone?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:30 AM

Governor, no question. You can get more shit done than a president, and you can cover more territory and help more people than a mayor (save very large cities like NYC or LA).
Old 07-26-2019, 10:59 AM

Where's the other button? Here in Texas, the Governor has very little actual power, while the Lieutenant Governor has the real power, in that he's the guy who controls the legislative calendar(determines if/when bills will be sent, and to what committees) and appoints all the committee chairs in the Senate. Since every bill has to pass through a Senate committee before the final vote, this is an EXTREMELY powerful position, as he can basically single-handedly kill bills by playing with the timing of when it goes to committee and what committee it goes to. If he likes it, it goes to a friendly committee early on. If he doesn't, it gets assigned to an unfriendly one, or assigned so late in the session that it never gets heard.

I'd take Lt. Governor indefinitely if it was possible. Otherwise 8 years of Lt. Governor would probably be enough to effect positive change, or get myself assassinated in the process.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Depends. Starting now? Starting in January 2021? If a Senator, do I get to pick my state, and who I'd be replacing, or would I be a Magical 101st Senator? And if a Supreme Court Justice, are we expanding the Court to include me, or am I replacing someone?
Starting immediately.

Senator: You get to pick your state, but you'll only be replacing someone of similar political ideology. No change in political balance.

SCOTUS justice: Ditto, the Court stays at 9 members but you replace someone of similar ideology.

Last edited by Velocity; 07-26-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:20 AM

I said State level, but honestly, after Trump as president, I think I could handle the job a lot better. Unlike him, I'd just avoid social media and the news because it wouldn't serve me any purpose to be so heavily engaged with that crap.

And unlike him, I'd have a competent Cabinet.

I'd also choose a really good VP to attend all of those fancy state functions that I wouldn't fit in with and to take over if I decided not to complete my term.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:28 AM

President. Because apparently, you can literally do whatever you want and nobody does jack shit about it besides bitch and moan to each other.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Senator for sure!

1) It's a 6-year term, and the terms are unlimited.

2) Despite the power and prestige, you can keep a relatively low profile compared to the President of the United States.

3) The benefits package is lights out.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Supreme Court justice, indefinitely. Oh, yeah.
Yeah, no contest.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
President. Because apparently, you can literally do whatever you want and nobody does jack shit about it besides bitch and moan to each other.
Wait, that's why I chose Supreme Court Justice. Well, that and wearing a silky robe over my nakidness.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:33 AM

Veep. No one ever complains that the Vice President golfs too much.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Another vote for Supreme Court Justice.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:40 AM

Where is the dog-catcher? Isn't that elected somewhere?
Old 07-26-2019, 12:13 PM

Starting now? President, in a heartbeat. That would be a great service to the country, even if all I did was call up Elizabeth Warren and Barack Obama before every decision and say "what would you do?"
Old 07-26-2019, 12:43 PM

I'd want to be like Jimmy Carter where I can do a lot of good as a private citizen pursuing what I want to do and with perks and connections to achieve it because of the fact I was once President.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:57 PM

FBI or CIA director. Cause I'd fight for Truth, Justice and the American Way!

Or be a spymaster. Both seem fun.

Last edited by Celidin; 07-26-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I picked Representative, because that's the only one of the lot that I think I could be at all competent at. I mean, yeah, I'd still be less incompetent as President than the current office-holder, but I hold myself to higher standards than just "suck less than the worst person ever".
Old 07-26-2019, 03:58 PM

President, no question. I'd do a great job and after only 4 years I get to retire with a life time pension. I really don't want to live in DC so any other the life time appointments there would suck. Governor wouldn't be a bad gig but the pay isn't great and the retirement package isn't nearly as good as the president.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Starting now? President, in a heartbeat. That would be a great service to the country, even if all I did was call up Elizabeth Warren and Barack Obama before every decision and say "what would you do?"
My thought as well!

I'd take note of the way Trump has managed to get 'acting' Cabinet members all over the place, and use that to circumvent the GOP-controlled Senate as I fired Trump's lickspittles and replace them with people who have a clue. (Anybody from Obama's Cabinet who wanted their old jobs back, would get them, pronto.) Ditto sub-cabinet positions, U.S. attorneys (gotta throw Trump in prison!), and a full investigation of the human rights abuses at the border.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:16 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Definitely mayor. It's a small burg filled with rednecks and meth dealers, so I could actually make a bit of a difference. We also have a substantial budget surplus to work with, so I could drag some parts kicking and screaming into the 19th century. The "indefinite" part was the clincher.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Definitely mayor. It's a small burg filled with rednecks and meth dealers, so I could actually make a bit of a difference. We also have a substantial budget surplus to work with, so I could drag some parts kicking and screaming into the 19th century. The "indefinite" part was the clincher.
Interesting. How does a burg of rednecks and meth dealers manage to run a big budget surplus? (Unless you have extremely low town-budget spending)
Old 07-26-2019, 09:21 PM

I think supreme court justice might be easiest for me to hide my incompetence from the world. I can handle sitting through oral arguments saying nothing just as easily as Justice Thomas. There is no way that I would be the sole hold out on an 8-1 decision, so I would always have another justice that could write the decision I would just have to sign my name. My decisions would probably be based more on moral opinion than established law, but that might not be a bad thing.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:30 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

I think I would pick governor, if I could pick a deep blue state with a legislature willing to work with me.

I'd like to pass things like universal health care, renewable energy laws, labor laws, etc.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I think supreme court justice might be easiest for me to hide my incompetence from the world. I can handle sitting through oral arguments saying nothing just as easily as Justice Thomas. There is no way that I would be the sole hold out on an 8-1 decision, so I would always have another justice that could write the decision I would just have to sign my name. My decisions would probably be based more on moral opinion than established law, but that might not be a bad thing.
I agree, and itís why being a justice is the best job. Judges as a rule can be as hard working or as lazy as they choose, and they will be tolerated either way.

Once you are a Supreme, either you donít read or write anything and just vote with your ideological wing, or you can be a voracious reader and stay up at all hours pontificating about the legal issues at play. Or just pick and choose - if you want to be the ďfree speechĒ guy, you can choose to only wake up when that issue arises.

Itís a sweet gig.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

As governor, I could commute a lot of prison sentences & get some people into rehab or home to their families. That sounds pretty good, even if some of those guys later commit violent crimes and the press give me grief like they did Mike Huckabee.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 07-26-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:19 AM

Where's ambassador? - that's my actual choice. I went with cabinet member instead. Office of the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, here I come.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:02 AM

Supreme Court Justice, absolutely. I wouldn't think of accepting any of the others.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:00 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

I have zero interest in being a politician at any level. I picked department head even though there is a lot of politics involved. The better job is to be Deputy Secretary. The person who really runs the department even during regime changes.

The pay isnít nearly enough. I made more than that last year and didnít have any of the responsibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Thomas famously doesnít ask questions during oral arguments because he feels all the important questions have been asked through multiple levels of appeal. I canít help but feel heís correct. Some Justices like to hear themselves talk. He has written quite a few decisions so you canít emulate him there if you want to stay lazy.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
He has written quite a few decisions so you can’t emulate him there if you want to stay lazy.
The neat thing about being a Supreme Court justice is that you also get to hire people to do your writing for you:

Quote:
Sorcerers’ Apprentices, a 2006 book on the influence of Supreme Court clerks, found that about 30 percent of the opinions issued by the Supreme Court are almost entirely the work of law clerks, with clerks responsible for the majority of the court’s output.
[...]
In his book Closed Chambers, former clerk Edward Lazarus suggested that some judges function as little more than “editorial Justices.”

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 07-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.