Old 07-31-2019, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

No, I meant every border barrier built by the USA through historical Mexico. I'm not giving any passes here. It's all Anglo-Saxon imperialism.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 AM

So you don’t believe that sovereign nations have the right to control their borders, place restrictions and time limits on how visitors come through their borders?
Old 08-01-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
No, I meant every border barrier built by the USA through historical Mexico. I'm not giving any passes here. It's all Anglo-Saxon imperialism.
Yes, that was pretty clear to me at least from context. I guess not to everyone though as at least one poster here did not get that. What I am unclear about is whether you feel that way exclusively about any functional barrier at any location between the USA and Mexico, or if you feel that way about all functional barriers between any countries.

Both are equally ... unique ... perspectives, but in different ways.

Can you clarify please?

thorny, to clarify to you further - I am NOT defending the specific idiocy of Trump's proposals. I am questioning the position, as I understand it, that any functional barrier is an insult.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Assess the merits of each section of the wall independently. Weigh the benefits & costs of maintenance vs. continued construction vs. abandoning vs. tearing it down. Each of those factors will be different for different parts of the wall.
I don't understand why this isn't the default answer. If the wall is partially or completely built, you do a cost-benefit analysis. If it's incomplete, would it cost the taxpayer more to finish it or to stop construction? Are there sections of the wall where its existence is causing problems (to the environment, legal crossings, etc)? Do any of the wall sections actually hinder border control? What are the maintenance costs for each section and are they in line with the benefit received, or would it be better to let the wall fall into disrepair and spend the money on, I dunno, drones and personnel?

I mean, tearing it down just for petty political reasons seems counterproductive. If it bothers you that much, give a bunch of graffiti artists some spraypaint and they can do rude pictures of Trump along its length, which would be cheaper than taking a wall down.

Or we could just do more of this. That seems fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Someone starts a thread about tearing down the Trump wall after his administration leaves, many posters pile on, even posting pictures of the supposed eyesore Trump wall.

There is no Trump wall.
Next you'll be telling me there is no war in Albania.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

We have had something of a wall there for decades. Let's call the old style "wall" a fence, since that better describes it. Also there for drug interdiction.

So yeah, leave whatever is there in place, it helps with drug interdiction.