Old 07-31-2019, 05:26 PM

What progressive agenda items actually have a realistic chance of coming to fruition

Wathcing the Democratic debates and hearing moderate and progressive wing, litmus test each other over the Green new deal, Medicare for all, and free tuition, seemed to me to akin to listening to an argument over what color of unicorn they should ride into the inauguration.

Even if we imagine a best case scenario Blue wave, with the president of our choice, holding the house and through some miracle splitting the Senate 50/50 with a tie breaker VP, we are still going to have 5 or so Dem. Senators and a significant portion of of the Dem house hanging by their fingernails in red states, and a Republican opposition with that would gladly see the country go up in flames rather than allow a Democratic success.

So I ask this question, given this best case scenario, which of the policy promises proposed by the candidate of your choice are actually likely to be made into law?
Old 07-31-2019, 07:34 PM

I think medicare for anyone who wants it has a chance. AKA the public option. I think medicare for all is not possible any time soon.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

All of them.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:22 PM

Extra rations in the camps for those who do not acknowledge Dear Leader Trump.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I think medicare for anyone who wants it has a chance. AKA the public option. I think medicare for all is not possible any time soon.
I don't think a true public option is realistic. They won't even pass that in blue states where the democrats have a lock on power.

Of all the agenda items, I don't think any are realistic. Medicare for all, college tuition reimbursement, subsidized daycare, etc.

What 'may' pass is an ACA expansion, where they eliminate the 400% subsidy cap and increase subsidies. Thats about the best case scenario for health care. People will still have to pay tons of money for garbage insurance that wont' cover them when they get sick.

For all the other stuff, pretty much nothing unless executive orders are used.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 07-31-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
All of them.
Care to indicate how?
Old 08-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I think a public health care system is doable. Most countries already have one. It's something that would benefit most people and would cost less than our current system so it's hard to build up opposition to it (although special interests have done their best).
Old 08-01-2019, 06:56 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I think a public health care system is doable. Most countries already have one. It's something that would benefit most people and would cost less than our current system so it's hard to build up opposition to it (although special interests have done their best).
Yeah but in Connecticut they considered health reform, including a public option. Cigna threatened them so the democrats folded like a cheap suit.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...dicare-for-all

If cobalt blue Connecticut can't pass a public option, I don't personally think it would pass on the national level.

The 'problem' with a public option is that due to lower reimbursement and lower overhead, private insurance can't compete with it. So private insurance hates the idea. But also so do hospitals and physician groups, because of the lower reimbursement levels.

The American Hospital Association says a public option will cost hospitals $800 billion over a decade. Seeing how a lot of hospitals are already struggling, they are going to oppose it with everything they have.

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/pol...e-buy-aha-says

American health care is wildly overpriced though, so something has to be done to reduce costs.

Washington state recently passed a public option, but they passed one which had reimbursement rates of 160% of medicare. Which kind of defeats the purpose, since that won't save consumers much money on health care. I guess my point is that we won't get a public health care system unless reimbursement rates are radically increased so that it is less competitive with private insurance and less threatening to the hospital industry.

My view is that if the west coast and northeast states won't pass health reform XYZ, then I doubt the national government would pass it either, since the national government is more conservative than those states. Democrats on the national level don't lead, they follow. They wait for blue states or ballot initiatives to pass in several states, then they consider doing it on the federal level.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 08-01-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

There’s nothing that says Pay rates have to be the same as they currently are for Medicare. Remember, health care won’t be free we’ll be paying for it with higher taxes. So pricing and contributions can be whatever we want. It could be easier at a national level than a state level, with so many more paying for it and so many more people coming up with the solution.

Also I can’t imagine the amounts doctors and hospitals have to write off each year from patients who can’t or don’t pay. Or negotiate down. If everyone who walked in the door was a guaranteed paying customer wouldn’t that be beneficial to the providers?

If providers are happy with the amount they make now, all that needs to happen is to set the pricing that gives them what they want at a cost that doesn’t include the billions in overhead from the insurance industry.

It’s a complicated issue but nothing that can’t make patients and providers happy if done right.

Anyway aside from health care I think clean energy manufacturing and use solutions are very doable. I think people are waking up to coal going away and climate change being real.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:48 PM

Something like Medicare-for-America is probably possible depending on how much of it can be done via reconciliation in the Senate. That's kind of why I think it's worthwhile to at least start with Bernie's maximalist Medicare-for-All proposal and to then see how much of a leftwing healthcare policy we can wind up with.

It all comes down to prioritization, though. The next Democratic president will probably prioritize climate change over healthcare, unless of course that crazy Texas lawsuit hobbles the ACA and consequently forces healthcare to be the top priority.