Old 10-08-2016, 09:58 PM

Remember when Trump told the Evangelicals that being elected might be the only way he gets to heaven?

He's going to spend the rest of his life under a hailstorm of federal and state charges for various things, many of which he's done DURING the election. Plus all the lawsuits from people he stiffed during his run.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

He's going to spend the rest of his life under a hailstorm of federal and state charges for various things, many of which he's done DURING the election. Plus all the lawsuits from people he stiffed during his run.
<conspiracy theory> maybe one of the reasons Trump ran is because he knew charges against him were coming for Trump U Fraud, his charity and other things and as President he could direct resources elsewhere or worse case pardon himself </conspiracy theory>
Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coremelt View Post
<conspiracy theory> maybe one of the reasons Trump ran is because he knew charges against him were coming for Trump U Fraud, his charity and other things and as President he could direct resources elsewhere or worse case pardon himself </conspiracy theory>
In that case, wouldn't you try to, you know, win?
Old 10-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
In that case, wouldn't you try to, you know, win?
He's trying to win in the only way he knows how.
The only thing missing is a blizzard of lawsuits.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
The only thing missing is a blizzard of lawsuits.
Just wait until the day after the election.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:01 PM

Prominent advice columnist E. Jean Carroll says Trump tried to rape her 23 years ago:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...m_campaign=nym

Quote:
When Carroll meets Donald Trump in Bergdorf Goodman, the encounter starts as a friendly one. Trump recognizes her as “that advice lady”; Carroll recognizes him as “that real-estate tycoon.” Trump tells Carroll that he’s there to buy a gift for “a girl,” and though we don’t learn the identity of this mystery woman, Carroll places the ensuing incident in late 1995 or early 1996, during which time Trump was married to Marla Maples. When Trump asks Carroll to advise him on what to buy, she agrees, and the two eventually make their way to the lingerie section. Trump suggests a lace bodysuit and encourages Carroll to try it on; she, deflecting, jokingly suggests that he try it on instead. After they reach the dressing rooms, events turn violent. In Carroll’s account, Trump shoves her against a wall inside a dressing room, pulls down her tights, and, “forcing his fingers around my private area, thrusts his penis halfway — or completely, I’m not certain — inside me.”
Old 06-21-2019, 01:12 PM

Reading the quote of the details at the end of that made me throw up in my mouth a little.

And, absolutely nothing will come of this other than Fox and Trump's other minions completely shredding Carroll's reputation.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Reading the quote of the details at the end of that made me throw up in my mouth a little.

And, absolutely nothing will come of this other than Fox and Trump's other minions completely shredding Carroll's reputation.
Not to make light of the situation, but I gotta imagine that the not being certain about whether it was "halfway" or "completely" is a not so subtle insult.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Not to make light of the situation, but I gotta imagine that the not being certain about whether it was "halfway" or "completely" is a not so subtle insult.
I laughed, along with feeling enormous empathy. Good on her.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:10 PM

No statute of limitations for 1st degree rape in NY .

In 1994 Trump had been married to Marla Maples for a year and Tiffany was a year old.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Let me get on the record, again, that I fully expect Donald Trump to be in handcuffs within 3 years. There are too many crimes, too many pissed off people, too many powerful politicians who no longer can stand the man, his goose is literally and effectively cooked.

I'll even go further out in a limb and say it's going to be a RICO indictment: There are too many organizations and too many crimes to prosecute effectively, both operationally (with multiple jurisdictions) and the cost.

Rico is likely the only answer. Otherwise, the Department of Justice, the state of New York, the State of Florida, the FEC, the IRS, and multiple other jurisdictions have to spend their time and money prosecuting Donald Trump in any of his three organizations.

Again, in my admittedly not legal opinion
LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Getta load of this guy!
Old 06-21-2019, 02:27 PM

I hope the prosecutor for that jurisdiction indicts that orange prick. And let's get the woman to testify before the House Judiciary Committee.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:31 PM

I'd prefer to not see her dragged before the house. I'd like her to tell her story to an investigator, a prosecutor, and a judge/jury, and be done with it.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:34 PM

NY DA is the son of Carter's secretary of state Cyrus Vance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_Vance_Jr.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijou drains View Post
ny da is the son of carter's secretary of state cyrus vance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cyrus_vance_jr.
Angry Democrats Fake News Witch Hunt Hillary's Emails

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 06-21-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
NY DA is the son of Carter's secretary of state Cyrus Vance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_Vance_Jr.
And he almost indicted Ivanka and Don Jr over the Trump Soho project until one of Trump’s attorneys paid him off.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...nal-indictment
Old 06-21-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
No statute of limitations for 1st degree rape in NY.
I know there are good psychological reasons a rape victim might not come forward for many years, but the fact is that such delay damages the jury appeal of a case. While there is no legal statute of limitations, without DNA evidence, there might as well be.

The President is obviously above federal law. That's why Mueller didn't recommend prosecution. In practice, I suspect he is also above state law.

Post-presidency, I think federal prosecution, is unlikely, even if DJT neglects to issue a self-pardon. A Democratic successor wouldn't want the news every day to be about Donald Trump.

As for post-presidency state prosecution, that is conceivable. But massive prejudicial pre-trial publicity would make it hard for him to get a fair trial. All it takes is one Trumpkin on the jury for it to hang.

Guatemala and Honduras both have former presidents currently in prison. AFAIK it hasn't improved their governance.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 PM

She still has the garment she was wearing. In the piece released today, she mentions that when she went home she put it in the back of her closet and it hasn't been worn since then. There may be some evidence on the garment that corroborates pieces of her story.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

I don't think a meaningful amount of DNA would still be recoverable after that long, but you might still be able to do some sort of antigen matching.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:50 AM

She said she does not want charges pressed. So that's pretty much the end of the story.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:04 AM

Orange is the new teflon.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

It's the state's decision whether to press charges, not the victim's. Though it's much harder for the state if the victim isn't interested in pursuing it.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:38 PM

A sitting US President is probably immune from state prosecution while he remains in office. And there are good reasons for this.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:30 PM

I'd get more satisfaction seeing his son Don Jr in orange uniform. Utter c*** of a man desperate for daddy's attention.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

On what grounds, DSYoungEsq? As far as a state is concerned, he's just another citizen.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
On what grounds, DSYoungEsq? As far as a state is concerned, he's just another citizen.
On the basis of federalism. Joseph Story himself wrote in his Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States that,
Quote:
Originally Posted by §1563
There are ... incidental powers, belonging to the executive department, which are necessarily implied from the nature of the functions, which are confided to it. Among these, must necessarily be included the power to perform them, without any obstruction or impediment whatsoever. The President cannot, therefore, be liable to arrest, imprisonment, or detention, while he is in the discharge of the duties of his office ...
If states were free to indict and try a sitting President, then all sorts of politically motivated efforts to impose criminal liability would undoubtedly be undertaken. I shudder to think what the last Administration would have faced had Attorneys General in solidly "red" states thought they had the right to charge President Obama with crimes related to anything and everything from "Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi" on. It would not be a good thing.

The proper way to proceed in such cases is undoubtedly to take whatever action is needed to toll any statute of limitations, then wait until the President is out of office to commence a trial.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy View Post

Guatemala and Honduras both have former presidents currently in prison. AFAIK it hasn't improved their governance.
A former president of Israel did five years for rape and obstruction of justice; he was forced to resign before the trial. It didn't improve the governance there, either.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
A former president of Israel did five years for rape and obstruction of justice; he was forced to resign before the trial. It didn't improve the governance there, either.
Israeli president is not that important, their PM runs the country. You almost never hear about the president of Israel, at least here in the US. But it's still a pretty big deal that he was forced to quit and got convicted.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I'd prefer to not see her dragged before the house. I'd like her to tell her story to an investigator, a prosecutor, and a judge/jury, and be done with it.
This. Though the House has a Democratic majority, I'd hate to see another episode like Christine Blasey Ford's testimony. The politically-driven derision and victim-condemnation, both on the floor and among the public, was especially painful for sexual assault survivors to witness.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:00 PM

I understand why rape victims don't come forward, but if she was going to face the shitstorm anyway, I sure wish she'd spoken up in October 2016. Probably wouldn't have made any difference, but ...
Old 06-25-2019, 02:23 PM

It's not a problem, because Trump has told us (In so many words) that she was too ugly for him to rape.

So it's all good.

But what about that Hillary? Lock her up! Build the wall! MAGA!
Old 06-25-2019, 02:31 PM

Plus she's a journalist, so as an enemy of the people she probably had it coming anyway.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
No statute of limitations for 1st degree rape in NY .

In 1994 Trump had been married to Marla Maples for a year and Tiffany was a year old.
There's no statute of limitations now. In the 90s, however, the SOL for first degree rape was five years. That was changed in 2006. I guess they can investigate, but it's extremely unlikely Two Scoops can/will be charged.