Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 03-30-2017, 11:22 AM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobohan View Post
Hey, he got where he is through hard work and dedication.

Not his, but you know, a few generations ago, there was some hard work.
Someone with darker skin no doubt.
  #102  
Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 AM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Someone with darker skin no doubt.
Probably got stiffed on pay, too.
  #103  
Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
Mike Flynn offers to testify in exchange for immunity, Wall Street Journal just reported. He has made this offer to the Senate, the House, and the FBI.

Quote:
WASHINGTON—Mike Flynn, President Donald Trump’s former national security adviser, has told the Federal Bureau of Investigation and congressional officials investigating the Trump campaign’s potential ties to Russia that he is willing to be interviewed in exchange for a grant of immunity from prosecution, according to officials with knowledge of the matter.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-30-2017 at 05:47 PM.
  #104  
Old 03-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,529
JohnT you just beat me to it. Was just coming to post the same thing. Now things get interesting.
  #105  
Old 03-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Merneith is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 6,880
I hope this sparks a trend.
  #106  
Old 03-30-2017, 06:21 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,994
That sounds like a huge deal, but IANAL. I would assume demanding immunity means that he is willing to admit he was involved in some screwed up shit.
  #107  
Old 03-30-2017, 06:27 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
I would assume that he thinks he can be charged with a crime, otherwise, why offer?

Last edited by JohnT; 03-30-2017 at 06:30 PM.
  #108  
Old 03-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,593
"He has made the offer to the FBI and the House and Senate intelligence committees through his lawyer but has so far found no takers, the officials said."

Is this a sign that they already have all the information that Flynn could possibly offer?
  #109  
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
N/m

Last edited by JohnT; 03-30-2017 at 06:31 PM.
  #110  
Old 03-30-2017, 07:00 PM
Belowjob2.0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lost Strangeles
Posts: 2,490
Sing, little birdie, sing!
  #111  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Fubaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,898
It worked for Oliver North
  #112  
Old 03-30-2017, 08:58 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
"He has made the offer to the FBI and the House and Senate intelligence committees through his lawyer but has so far found no takers, the officials said."

Is this a sign that they already have all the information that Flynn could possibly offer?
Without knowing when the offer was made or what the average turnaround time is for acceptance of such an offer, it might not mean anything at all. They could have sent the offer to the government agencies at the same time as they sent it to the media.
  #113  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:10 PM
jasg is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upper left hand corner
Posts: 6,051
Former CIA head Woolsey said he heard Flynn discussing spiriting Fethullah Gulen out of the US and back to Turkey.

If true, does this expose Flynn to Federal charges? Kidnapping conspiracy?
  #114  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Fubaya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,898
Here is a legal analysis of Flynn's attempt to gain immunity.
  #115  
Old 03-30-2017, 09:56 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubaya View Post
Here is a legal analysis of Flynn's attempt to gain immunity.
Thank you for posting.

These two statements at the end seem contradictory.

Quote:
But the ploy feels desperate, indicating that Flynn may not have much to offer. And the very fact that Flynn’s lawyer is making a play for immunity at this stage suggests that he has some fear that his client faces real criminal exposure.
Time will tell. Hopefully soon, but the signs are that this will drag out.
  #116  
Old 03-30-2017, 10:04 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Thank you for posting.

These two statements at the end seem contradictory.


Time will tell. Hopefully soon, but the signs are that this will drag out.
They're not contradictory if Flynn did something criminal, BUT he doesn't have useful info to nail others (preferably others "higher up.")
  #118  
Old 03-30-2017, 11:13 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
These two statements at the end seem contradictory.
I'm not sure why you say that? He's personally at a great risk of getting hammered. But if he can convince some idiot in Congress that he's got the crown jewels, he might get immunity from the real crimes he committed in return for telling a sufficiently salacious tale in front of C-SPAN. Who doesn't love that?
  #119  
Old 03-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
If Lankford ever gives up his job on the Senate, he'd have an easy time finding a job in Hollywood as a voice actor for evil robots. STRONG disconnect between his voice and looks.
  #120  
Old 03-30-2017, 11:39 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
If Lankford ever gives up his job on the Senate, he'd have an easy time finding a job in Hollywood as a voice actor for evil robots. STRONG disconnect between his voice and looks.
It creeps me out to say it, but there is something compelling and attractive about the combination of that voice and looks. Credit to him for being the rare Republican who appears to be working toward getting at the truth in this matter. Other than that, I don't know a thing about him.
  #121  
Old 03-31-2017, 02:01 AM
Merneith is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: The Group W Bench
Posts: 6,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Time will tell. Hopefully soon, but the signs are that this will drag out.
It's already moving faster than I expected it to. Of course, it would have been nice if this reporting happened, oh, six months ago. But I assumed that after the election, it was all a dead issue.

Of course, if they weren't such a pack of twitchy, lying, morons, it probably would be dead. If they allcould have refrained from chasing after the Russian ambassador like he was The Bachelor, it would be a different story. If even a few of them had managed not to lie about when asked, we wouldn't be here.
  #122  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:35 AM
Ca3799 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tejas
Posts: 4,331
I'm sure Flynn knows stuff that will link all the parts together.

Going backwards a bit: The Russian diplomat and spy Mikhail Kalugin at the Russian embassy in New York and his banking practices were what was under surveillance by the FBI. Kalugin is the one (of the ones) that passed the money from Russia to Americans here on American soil. Kalugin got called back home last fall because Putin was afraid he was about to be exposed.

The FBI had identified an "established operational liaison between the Trump team and the Kremlin" and it was this liason was being watched.

The liason is most likley Manafort.


Manafort is the one :
*Who has been on the Russian payroll for 10 million dollars a year since 2005 "to promote Russian interests in the US",
*had the money laundering bank accounts in Cyprus,
*and had the apartment in the Ukraine with his personal belongings and the ledger showing the missing 12(?) million dollars last August (or September- I forgot),
*and had/has the money laundering real estate purchases in New York,
*and who also lives in the Trump Tower, is one of Trump's best friends, and was Trump's campaign manager.


If Trump or Trump campaign folks (such as Manafort, Flynn and/or Trump, etc.) were picked up by the FBI in a "wiretap" at the Trump Tower, it's because they were involved with Kalugin and/or Manafort. Trump himself could have been an "incidental" in these recordings. I'm pretty sure Trump has very little knowledge about all this stuff swirling around him. Bannon and Fox news sure won't tell him.

I think this is where Flynn comes in- he knows some of this stuff, and maybe a lot of this stuff, but not all of this stuff. He also has his own ties to Russia- dinner with Putin, being paid by RT, discussions (probably about sanctions) with the Ambassador (and his meeting with Austrian neo-nazi leader Heinz-Christian Stracheand who also has ties to Putin).

Yates told the Trump team that Flynn might be compromised. The Trump team tried to let it blow over until they couldn't anymore. Then both Flynn and Yates were let go.

So, Flynn may not know all, but I'm sure he knows a lot that will link the chain together. He's worried enough about his future to offer info. But the IC may already know what he wants to offer and may not be interested in making a deal with him.

Last edited by Ca3799; 03-31-2017 at 04:40 AM.
  #123  
Old 03-31-2017, 07:33 AM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca3799 View Post
I'm pretty sure Trump has very little knowledge about all this stuff swirling around him.
I think that is probably a fair statement in pretty much any circumstances.
  #124  
Old 03-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Johnny Ace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,064
I'd like to say that the rats are deserting the sinking ship, but I have to wonder why the Orangutan is behind granting Flynn immunity.

Also, he could have gone through back channels with his opinion. Why the thinly-veiled attempt at influencing FBI and Justice publicly? (Maybe he thinks Comey is too much of a white-hat to be influenced...at this point, who knows? Except, of course, for some of those inside the WH.)

Last edited by Johnny Ace; 03-31-2017 at 10:51 AM.
  #125  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:23 AM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca3799 View Post
I'm sure Flynn knows stuff that will link all the parts together.

Going backwards a bit: The Russian diplomat and spy Mikhail Kalugin at the Russian embassy in New York and his banking practices were what was under surveillance by the FBI. Kalugin is the one (of the ones) that passed the money from Russia to Americans here on American soil. Kalugin got called back home last fall because Putin was afraid he was about to be exposed.

The FBI had identified an "established operational liaison between the Trump team and the Kremlin" and it was this liason was being watched.

The liason is most likley Manafort.


Manafort is the one :
*Who has been on the Russian payroll for 10 million dollars a year since 2005 "to promote Russian interests in the US",
*had the money laundering bank accounts in Cyprus,
*and had the apartment in the Ukraine with his personal belongings and the ledger showing the missing 12(?) million dollars last August (or September- I forgot),
*and had/has the money laundering real estate purchases in New York,
*and who also lives in the Trump Tower, is one of Trump's best friends, and was Trump's campaign manager.


If Trump or Trump campaign folks (such as Manafort, Flynn and/or Trump, etc.) were picked up by the FBI in a "wiretap" at the Trump Tower, it's because they were involved with Kalugin and/or Manafort. Trump himself could have been an "incidental" in these recordings. I'm pretty sure Trump has very little knowledge about all this stuff swirling around him. Bannon and Fox news sure won't tell him.

I think this is where Flynn comes in- he knows some of this stuff, and maybe a lot of this stuff, but not all of this stuff. He also has his own ties to Russia- dinner with Putin, being paid by RT, discussions (probably about sanctions) with the Ambassador (and his meeting with Austrian neo-nazi leader Heinz-Christian Stracheand who also has ties to Putin).

Yates told the Trump team that Flynn might be compromised. The Trump team tried to let it blow over until they couldn't anymore. Then both Flynn and Yates were let go.

So, Flynn may not know all, but I'm sure he knows a lot that will link the chain together. He's worried enough about his future to offer info. But the IC may already know what he wants to offer and may not be interested in making a deal with him.
If donald doesn't know anything then who is Flynn going to give up? Is Manafort enough bait for the govt? Unravelling a lot of crimes among many as opposed to getting the big fish?
  #126  
Old 04-01-2017, 04:10 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Lawfare is suggesting that Flynn is offering to talk because he knows that he's basically clear from prosecution on anything, but he might be able to use the opportunity to give a big pro-Trump show if he's brought in, in front of Congress.
  #127  
Old 04-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Lawfare is suggesting that Flynn is offering to talk because he knows that he's basically clear from prosecution on anything, but he might be able to use the opportunity to give a big pro-Trump show if he's brought in, in front of Congress.
That would explain Trump's tweet supporting immunity for Flynn; if Flynn were genuinely a danger to Trump, the tweets would be about what a liar Flynn is and how no deal should be made.
  #128  
Old 04-01-2017, 05:24 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,565
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I put it here.
Russian foriegn ministry having a little fun on April Fool's day through their Facebook or their Twitter or whatever the kids are calling it:
https://twitter.com/MID_RF/status/84...195456/video/1
  #129  
Old 04-03-2017, 06:05 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,261
OK, this officially got surreal:

Blackwater founder (and Betsy DeVos' brother) Erik Prince met with a Putin confidant in the Seychelles to open a back channel between Trump and Moscow, in a January meeting brokered by the United Arab Emirates.

What I want to know is, who in the damn wingnut galaxy isn't part of a back channel between Trump and Putin?
  #130  
Old 04-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
OK, this officially got surreal:

Blackwater founder (and Betsy DeVos' brother) Erik Prince met with a Putin confidant in the Seychelles to open a back channel between Trump and Moscow, in a January meeting brokered by the United Arab Emirates.

What I want to know is, who in the damn wingnut galaxy isn't part of a back channel between Trump and Putin?
Eh, for Trump to reach out to make a deal with Putin, after being nominated President, doesn't really bother me.

Dealing with Russia might be unpopular, but it is the platform he ran on and, while not quite yet President, by the 11th of January there's no real reason for the President-elect not to start reaching out to foreign leaders.

Collusion with Russia, in the aim of getting elected, is treasonous. Making a deal with Russia as the lawfully elected leader of the nation is no worse than for Obama to have made a deal with Iran.
  #131  
Old 04-03-2017, 08:13 PM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,730
He wasn't the lawfully elected leader at the time, though. And who elected Erik Prince?
  #132  
Old 04-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,113
Sure, a President negotiating with Russia is not concerning per se. A President negotiating with Russia through a convoluted back channel apparently designed for secrecy is a bit of a problem. What could they do via a bizarre back channel that they couldn't do by calling each other on a secure phone and telling their aides to leave the room? Why the additional layer of cloak and dagger?

Also, Blackwater?! Those fuckers had to crawl out of the woodwork again?
  #133  
Old 04-03-2017, 09:57 PM
elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,001
And the horses upon which they rode. That Blackwater even existed is a stain on our flag. Who's idea was that dollar-store Tom Clancy name? Modern mercenaries are Advanced Security Dynamics and Compliance Induction Specialists! Doe this Prince guy have an obnoxiously pampered fuzzy white cat that he feeds orphans to?

Lord God, who are these people? What are these people? What are these people?

What are these, people?
  #134  
Old 04-03-2017, 10:44 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,113
Black water, smooth above the weir
Like starry velvet in the night
Though ruffled once would soon appear
The same as ever to the sight.

That doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand. I just like that bit of poetry.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem...s/detail/44977
  #135  
Old 04-04-2017, 12:09 AM
elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,001
Who could forget the plumbic verse of E.A. Robinson, try as they might.
  #136  
Old 04-04-2017, 02:47 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Who could forget the plumbic verse of E.A. Robinson, try as they might.
Of course, when we recall "Richard Cory," many of us can only remember the Simon & Garfunkel version.
  #137  
Old 04-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,113
Robinson could be a bit heavy handed. I do like "The Mill" a lot though.
  #138  
Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 AM
oft wears hats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: AUS
Posts: 1,975
Nunes "temporarily" steps down from Russia probe:

Quote:
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) will temporarily step aside from an investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, including interactions between Moscow and the Trump campaign.

The probe will be taken over by Reps. Michael Conaway (R-Texas), Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) and Tom Rooney (R-Fla.).

Nunes will remain chairman of the Intelligence Committee.
Finally. Hopefully Nunes stays out. Anyone know much about his replacements with respect to their relationship to Trump and their opinion of Nunes' behavior?
  #139  
Old 04-06-2017, 09:52 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Robinson could be a bit heavy handed. I do like "The Mill" a lot though.
Was that the guy who wrote "Kill my landlord?" I like his stuff.
  #140  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
Nunes "temporarily" steps down from Russia probe:



Finally. Hopefully Nunes stays out. Anyone know much about his replacements with respect to their relationship to Trump and their opinion of Nunes' behavior?
Don't worry, he isn't stepping down because of wrong doing, but because of "left wing activists". Party of personal responsibility.

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 04-06-2017 at 11:22 AM.
  #141  
Old 04-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Snarky_Kong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by oft wears hats View Post
Nunes "temporarily" steps down from Russia probe:



Finally. Hopefully Nunes stays out. Anyone know much about his replacements with respect to their relationship to Trump and their opinion of Nunes' behavior?
Gowdy was one of the main stooges around the Benghazi clusterfuck. He also spent the entire day trying to deflect from Trump and attack "leakers" when Comey publically testified a couple weeks ago.
  #142  
Old 04-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,529
Oh goody. So we'll see a lot of progress then?
  #143  
Old 04-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Silver lining is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by skdo23 View Post
So do we get to say "go back to Russia" to conservatives now?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politi...ans/index.html
The headline says MAY have. The news is at a low tide. The headline is usually juicy, then they uses worlds like allegedly, or according to sources. Um, right.

After a few months, you want sources or proof, of which there is none.

KUDOS to the press. They are just a few steps away from emulating Jerry Springer.

As for who meets with who, they all do.
  #144  
Old 04-11-2017, 09:06 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,565
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3a7_story.html

Trump aid Carter Page was being monitored through a FISA warrant.
  #145  
Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 PM
mikecurtis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Was that the guy who wrote "Kill my landlord?" I like his stuff.
tyrone greene

mc
  #146  
Old 04-12-2017, 01:28 AM
Belowjob2.0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lost Strangeles
Posts: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3a7_story.html

Trump aid Carter Page was being monitored through a FISA warrant.
It occurs to me that Page may be facing a devil's choice: keep your mouth shut, don't implicate Trump, and be rewarded with tens of millions in Russian bribes, that will never actually materialize, because Trump never pays what he owes.

Or, implicate Trump, and die at a moment of Russia's choosing. What is it, Mr Page? Would you rather "accidentally" fall out a window, or "accidentally" drown in your bathtub?
  #147  
Old 04-12-2017, 01:38 AM
elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,001
The Carter Page connected to the Manafort, the Manafort connected to the Mike Flynn, the Mike Flynn to the asshole, now hear the word of the Law....

"And welcome to another episode of Plea Agreement, Let's Beg for a Deal! Mike, are you ready to spin the Wheel of Consequences, or do you want to sign this paper?! Ten seconds!"
  #148  
Old 04-12-2017, 02:03 AM
Johnny Ace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3a7_story.html

Trump aid Carter Page was being monitored through a FISA warrant.
All this 'clear his name' bullshit is just that. There's no way he can prove what documents he handed over to Podobnyy, nor do I think even if he were to bring the Russian agent in to testify that the intel committees would buy a word that he says.
  #149  
Old 04-12-2017, 11:18 AM
Belowjob2.0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lost Strangeles
Posts: 2,490
Will they hold fast? Is there honor among traitors?

Per my previous post, are they choosing between a (false) promise of a multi-million dollar payout on the one hand, or a painful, ignominous death on the other?



http://observer.com/2017/04/kremling...fied-evidence/

Quote:
Comey faces a particular problem, little understood by the public or even by most journalists covering KremlinGate. That’s the fact that classified evidence is inadmissible in court, and top-secret information will never be shown to a jury. FBI agents therefore face the uncomfortable difficulty of knowing (from highly classified reports) what was going on—and finding unclassified corroboration if they want to prosecute anybody.

Hence the pressing need to get co-conspirators to “flip” on each other and, even better, coercing confessions from those facing possible prison time. This is the usual FBI modus operandi, and it’s most effective against smaller fish who aren’t eager to take the rap for bigger ones. We can safely assume that the Bureau will lean on former members of Team Trump to get confessions; here the recent ham-handed effort by Michael Flynn, Trump’s disgraced former national security guru, a man with plenty of odd ties to the Kremlin himself, to get immunity in exchange for telling what he knows seems relevant.

Without such cooperation, including confessions from at least some members of Team Trump, the transition of KremlinGate from the investigation phase to prosecution is likely to stall. We don’t know exactly what the FBI knows, but some examples from past counterintelligence cases can illuminate the conundrum the Bureau faces right now.
  #150  
Old 04-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,593
I'm sure there is nothing to see here.

On the morning of August 19th, Manafort stepped away from the campaign because of his links to, of course, Russia. That day, he started a shell corporation and got millions of dollars worth of loans from Mr. Trump's businesses.

But, I'm sure this is all on the up and up.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017