Old 05-07-2019, 12:07 PM

Legalize Shrooms!

Voters in Denver today have the option to decriminalize possession and use of psilocybin mushrooms for people 21 and over. I'm not sure this is a good idea, but I'm not convinced them being illegal is a good idea either. What do y'all think?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:13 PM

It doesn't legalize mushrooms, it just means the police won't bust you for possessing some. You won't be able to go into your local cannibis shop and buy any.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Dear Denver,
You guys are way wacky! I love it.
Stay crazy,
bobot
Old 05-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
It doesn't legalize mushrooms, it just means the police won't bust you for possessing some. You won't be able to go into your local cannibis shop and buy any.
You're right; that's why I said "decriminalize" in the OP. the thread title, however, stems from this bit in the linked article:
Quote:
A citizen initiative on the ballot followed the same tack taken by marijuana activists to decriminalize pot possession in 2005 in the city. That move was followed by statewide legalization in 2012. A number of other states then broadly allowed marijuana use and sales by adults.
Perhaps you weren't aware of that happening...?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:58 PM

In theory, I'm in favor, if only because I believe society will be better off -- big-picture, long-term -- when we stop trying to police the substances people want to put into their bodies.

In practice, though -- hmmm. Shrooms are not IME an easily-managed buzz like pot or alcohol. They're an unpredictable ride and are definitely not for amateurs. Plus, doesn't this reinforce the slippery slope argument people continue to make about legalizing weed? See, told you they'd try to legalize harder stuff if you let them make pot legal ...
Old 05-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm in Boulder, so I can't vote on this one, but I'd vote yes.

I don't really see psilocybin as a "harder" drug than weed. My experience with it, which was 35ish years ago in college (the time and place for everything), was that it was very pleasant--mostly I remember the trees on campus being kind of sparkly...and happy to see me . Weed could be pleasant, but it could also be disorienting and soporific. Neither of them has life-threatening toxicological effects, as far as I know, and certainly none as bad as those of over-consumption of alcohol.

That said, I'd much rather it was fully legalized and had some quality controls applied--the second time I did them in college, they could've been shiitake for all the effect they had.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 PM

You're never going to be able to make any good case for keeping any drug illegal while alcohol is not only legal but readily available pretty much everywhere. Alcohol is damaging AF--you can buy enough of it for twenty bucks to kill your stupid ass assuming you don't have a huge tolerance, and if you do then your liver is probably turned to Swiss cheese anyway. Drunk people are stupid, belligerent, they throw up and try to drive and kill people and get in fights with other people or with inanimate objects if no people will oblige them. There is literally nothing a good dose of psilocybin can do to a person that's more damaging than a bottle of tequila. Fuckit, legalize the whole shot and just manage outcomes. If you can do it with booze you can do it with any other drug.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:13 PM

When I hear "hard drugs" I think "drugs whose effects are more physiological than psychological." I.e. drugs where a physical dependency can be built up, to the point where if you don't have the drugs, you're a fucking mess, shaking, sweating, puking, etc, and you'll do any goddamn thing in your power to make it end by getting more of the drug.

No psychedelic drugs create this situation, so no psychedelic drugs deserve to be classified this way.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:45 PM

Psychedelics (including MDMA) is the next step after pot. These guys are going to do it: https://maps.org/ https://www.youtube.com/user/mapsmdma

In 1 or 2 generations, we're going to have wished we did this earlier. People who go for alcohol more than cannabis and psychedelics are going to be looked at the same way we look at tobacco smokers or benzo-popping soccer moms today. Sure, there's going to be a fight over it and middle-aged/old white Evangelicals are going to be a bunch of cunts about that too, like usual. But the light will shine out and the darkness will be pushed back.

I must be on acid if I think that, right? Well, not at this precise moment; That was last Saturday for my morning run. But think back to how incredulous people would be in 2000 if you told them that the US would have pot legalization, gay marriage and a black president within a decade and a half. We're going through a reactionary rough spot right now but it's the high-water mark of the Degeneracy.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:51 PM

Sounds like legalizing marijuana was just a gateway.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:09 PM

Wait until people find out that microdosing psilocybin and acid works about a million times better than anti-depressants just the same way we're all finding out that ready access to cannabis interrupts opioid use/abuse/dependency something fierce. The pharma companies won't like it a bit but fuck those guys, they need to be cranking out better antibiotics anyway.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Sounds like legalizing marijuana was just a gateway.
Somehow, I expected a little less pusillanimousness from an Intergalatic Gladiator.

There are excellent reasons to legalize cannabis which would be good enough on their own. If that ends up being the foot in the door for psychedelics, that's not a bad thing. Eventually, society might realize that 1) The fact that some people can't handle a substance doesn't mean everyone else should be threatened with a criminal record and prison if they do it 2) Some drugs are indeed liable to trap people into a deep, dark pit and that those who fall into it need compassion, not repression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Wait until people find out that microdosing psilocybin and acid works about a million times better than anti-depressants just the same way we're all finding out that ready access to cannabis interrupts opioid use/abuse/dependency something fierce. The pharma companies won't like it a bit but fuck those guys, they need to be cranking out better antibiotics anyway.
They're a major reason I'm not headed into the same life trajectory as an abusive alcoholic as my father and his father and his father and I'm not sure how many generations it goes back but there might have been snakes in Ireland back then.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 05-07-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
I'm in Boulder, so I can't vote on this one, but I'd vote yes.

I don't really see psilocybin as a "harder" drug than weed. My experience with it, which was 35ish years ago in college (the time and place for everything), was that it was very pleasant--mostly I remember the trees on campus being kind of sparkly...and happy to see me . Weed could be pleasant, but it could also be disorienting and soporific. Neither of them has life-threatening toxicological effects, as far as I know, and certainly none as bad as those of over-consumption of alcohol.

That said, I'd much rather it was fully legalized and had some quality controls applied--the second time I did them in college, they could've been shiitake for all the effect they had.
My experience was similar, but even more varied. A couple of times the trip was every bit as intense as acid (but shorter in duration), and other times I felt virtually nothing. The taste was uniformly nasty.

Standardizing the potency and quality control is a good argument for making it legal, but I think my tripping days are done regardless.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Shrooms are not IME an easily-managed buzz like pot or alcohol. They're an unpredictable ride and are definitely not for amateurs.
Yeah, I seem to recall that one of the potemtial side effects of trying to get high on mushrooms is an agonizing death.

Quote:
New species of fungi are continuing to be discovered, with an estimated number of 800 new species registered annually. This, added to the fact that many investigations have recently reclassified some species of mushrooms from edible to poisonous has made older classifications insufficient at describing what now is known about the different species of fungi that are harmful to humans.
I don't think the mushroom's time has come.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:41 PM

Hey, wasn't there a thread featuring a guy posting his way through a mushroom trip? I seem to recall it, a wild ride, but I'll be damned if I know how to start searching for it.

Last edited by bobot; 05-07-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

They are legal in the Netherlands. Only available at specialized stores, called "smart shops". AFAIK, there have been no problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_shop
Old 05-07-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Hey, wasn't there a thread featuring a guy posting his way through a mushroom trip? I seem to recall it, a wild ride, but I'll be damned if I know how to start searching for it.
I don't think the board rules allow it. I wish though, that could be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
They are legal in the Netherlands. Only available at specialized stores, called "smart shops". AFAIK, there have been no problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_shop
Like MDMA or pot, once in a while, you'll have some tiny minority of people who can't handle it or are morons about it. Like a tourist who killed herself*. I don't know if it's a coincidence but it's also young women I've read about dying from MDMA**.

While that harm is undeniable, it can be reduced through harm reduction and whatever harm does remain will be lesser than the benefits. Just like pot or MDMA.

*http://www.simplyamsterdam.nl/French...mushrooms.html

** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leah_Betts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Wood_(born_1980)

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 05-07-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You're never going to be able to make any good case for keeping any drug illegal while alcohol is not only legal but readily available pretty much everywhere. Alcohol is damaging AF--you can buy enough of it for twenty bucks to kill your stupid ass assuming you don't have a huge tolerance, and if you do then your liver is probably turned to Swiss cheese anyway. Drunk people are stupid, belligerent, they throw up and try to drive and kill people and get in fights with other people or with inanimate objects if no people will oblige them. There is literally nothing a good dose of psilocybin can do to a person that's more damaging than a bottle of tequila. Fuckit, legalize the whole shot and just manage outcomes. If you can do it with booze you can do it with any other drug.
I agree. Probably be better for society in the long run.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
What do y'all think?
Legalise the lot. Cannabis, LSD, heroin, everything.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I don't think the board rules allow it. I wish though, that could be fun.
Plus: seems like a waste of a perfectly good trip. Like, c'mon, you can't find better things to do on shrooms than post on a message board? Reminds me of that time I played overwatch on LSD - fun, but I could have had more fun by just going outside.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 05-08-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Plus: seems like a waste of a perfectly good trip. Like, c'mon, you can't find better things to do on shrooms than post on a message board? Reminds me of that time I played overwatch on LSD - fun, but I could have had more fun by just going outside.
Depends on the game. If it's a game that revolves around problem solving (Kerbal Space Program, Door Kickers), you can come up with strategies you otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

Overwatch and other fast-paced repetitive games are probably not a good use of it. Atmospheric games, including horror games, can be much better. Playing the very dark and grungy Doom 64 was an experience. Or Hotline Miami.

I gotta get back into the two most recent Wolfenstein games.

Aliens and Predator were nice to watch as well. I'm not going anywhere near Jacob's Ladder, though.

Outside is nice; It can be combined quite well with exercise. But information technology gives you access to nearly the entirety of human civilization.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
IDK, I remember spending hours on my computer checking out optical illusions while tripping.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Yeah, I seem to recall that one of the potemtial side effects of trying to get high on mushrooms is an agonizing death
Yeah, mushroom poisoning is a thing.

If one jumps through enough hoops, this could, I suppose, be used as an argument (albeit an extremely crappy one) for outlawing all mushrooms.

But I really don't see how it could be used as an argument for outlawing only the psychoactive ones, while keeping the rest of 'em legal?
Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
When I hear "hard drugs" I think "drugs whose effects are more physiological than psychological." I.e. drugs where a physical dependency can be built up, to the point where if you don't have the drugs, you're a fucking mess, shaking, sweating, puking, etc, and you'll do any goddamn thing in your power to make it end by getting more of the drug.
Cocaine or meth don't produce an actual physical dependency (as opposed to a tolerance) like alcohol or opiates do, (with the shaking, sweating, puking effects of withdrawl we all know about from movies) yet at least in the case of meth, it is apparently considered to be just about the most "addictive" drug around by many addiction medicine professionals.

Of course "Shrooms" don't have any of these drawbacks, but if you've ever really gotten a hearty headful of potent psilocybin, you can attest that it is NOT always a mild, risk-free experience, although quite possibly an extremely enjoyable, perhaps even seemingly enlightening one if the set and setting are muy bueno.

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 05-08-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Yeah, I seem to recall that one of the potemtial side effects of trying to get high on mushrooms is an agonizing death.

I don't think the mushroom's time has come.
I mean... we're pretty secure in our understanding of psylocibin toxicity. It's really hard to take as many magic mushrooms Obviously, if you try to get high off of Amanita Phalloides things will not end well for you. But if what you're taking is actually magic mushrooms, you're about as likely to get mushroom poisoning as you are from cooking a Waldpilzpfanne.

Now, granted, there are valid concerns about lookalikes - there are, in fact, mushrooms that like like psylocibins that are poisonous (although we're not exactly talking about Amanita Virosa here). The best way to assuage those concerns is to regulate, and buy your shrooms from a reliable source.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Alcohol isn't really the proper basis for comparison. Yes, alcohol is destructive, and that's why we attempted, nearly a century ago, to ban it. And no, it didn't work. But the reason that it didn't work is that it's the most difficult drug on the planet to enforce, because you can make it from pretty much any sort of plant material, without need for any sort of specialized equipment. It's one thing to block traffic in one specific species, but another to block it in everything.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Alcohol isn't really the proper basis for comparison. Yes, alcohol is destructive, and that's why we attempted, nearly a century ago, to ban it. And no, it didn't work. But the reason that it didn't work is that it's the most difficult drug on the planet to enforce, because you can make it from pretty much any sort of plant material, without need for any sort of specialized equipment. It's one thing to block traffic in one specific species, but another to block it in everything.
I guess growing mushrooms from spores or sending 0.25'' cardboard squares through the mail must be a lot more difficult than I thought.

I suggest the 2 main reasons we don't hear anywhere near as much about people using psychedelics as opioids/meth/etc are 1) It tends to cause much less problems which would draw attention 2) A lot of people are understandably scared of trying them. I know I was the first few times.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 05-08-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:49 AM

ETA (sorry, 5 minutes were up): Psychedelics are kinda effectively legal in Canada and yet, you don't hear much about that, do you?

You see, the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, Schedule III, Section 5, forbids LSD and any salt thereof. It does not, however, forbid prodrugs (which the body turns into LSD) or analogs (like ETH-LAD).

What clever cunts have figured out is that, if you sell those under the fig-leaf of "chemical research samples, not for human consumption", you can sell them openly on the grey market. I won't mention more details as that might run afoul of board rules but the point is that anyone with a bit of coin can order them and the Queen's own mail service will deliver them to your door. Yet, do we hear a flood of horror stories coming from Canada? Is anyone freaking out about this?
Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
This! I have grown/eaten psylocibes, but always thought of it as a "rough" high. One of my nephews told me that he prefers micro dosing, which I'd never heard of. Very cool concept.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
ETA (sorry, 5 minutes were up): Psychedelics are kinda effectively legal in Canada and yet, you don't hear much about that, do you?

You see, the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, Schedule III, Section 5, forbids LSD and any salt thereof. It does not, however, forbid prodrugs (which the body turns into LSD) or analogs (like ETH-LAD).

What clever cunts have figured out is that, if you sell those under the fig-leaf of "chemical research samples, not for human consumption", you can sell them openly on the grey market. I won't mention more details as that might run afoul of board rules but the point is that anyone with a bit of coin can order them and the Queen's own mail service will deliver them to your door. Yet, do we hear a flood of horror stories coming from Canada? Is anyone freaking out about this?
Specific to the bolded part, they're freaking out about it in the UK.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/w...-a3923646.html

Several years ago, it was mephedrone, aka plant food, that was the synthetic of choice. That was certainly dangerous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephedrone#United_Kingdom

I can't remember what the latest synthetic mind-altering drug is, but in general, synthetics are a big concern to the people that pay attention to them. They've started allowing testing at music festivals where users can have samples of their drugs tested so they're sure of what they're taking.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44482290
Old 05-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Sure, great. Do it! I wish chemists would make LSD again, instead of cough syrup ingredients on a blotter.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
Specific to the bolded part, they're freaking out about it in the UK.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/w...-a3923646.html
Did you post the wrong link?

Neither LSD, nor any of its prodrugs, nor any of its analogs, is even mentioned in that article. Neither is psilocybin or any other psychedelic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
Several years ago, it was mephedrone, aka plant food, that was the synthetic of choice. That was certainly dangerous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephedrone#United_Kingdom
Mephedrone is neither a prodrug of LSD, nor one of its analogs, nor a psychedelic in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
I wish chemists would make LSD again, instead of cough syrup ingredients on a blotter.

There are plenty of chemists out there making genuine LSD.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post

I just ate 3 mushrooms

(I miss that guy)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are a couple Facebook groups on microdosing where people are really positive about their experiences.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post

I just ate 3 mushrooms

(I miss that guy)
Hey, thanks! I knew I wasn't hallucinating!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM

It looks like voters are saying "not right now".
Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
But I can't believe how close it was! My nephew voted in favor and is a little sad today.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
That's ok. Trying so soon after pot legalization was probably a bit too eager. Do you remember the first time you tried to lift weights or jog or meditate or learn a skill? You didn't quite get there, did you? But that was your stepping stone.

You must know more about this than I: How did the first ballot initiatives go for pot? How long did it take from the first failed initiative to State-wise legalization? It's going to go ever faster for mushrooms and then onward and upwards, ever higher.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 05-08-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:16 AM

Any time you're dealing with a plant (as opposed to a tested extract or a synthetic) dosage is going to vary; because plants of the same species will produce different amounts of different compounds due to a whole lot of varying things about their environment -- temperature, amount of sun, exact soil components, presence of specific other plants, presence of insects, just to start with; as well as due to not only species but exact variety; as well as age at harvest; as well as storage conditions and length of time between harvest and the time you eat the plant.

Having said that: I think trying to ban plants is silly and ineffective. Sometimes it's the reverse of effective, as if a psychoactive plant is banned this may create or encourage a market for synthetic substitutes. While it's a whole lot easier to control the dose of active ingredient(s) in a synthetic, a) if the synthetic's illegal there's no way at all to know either what you're getting or how much you're taking b) synthetics on the market are likely not to be the same as the plant, even if legal, both because it may well be cheaper to use different compounds and because the effects of taking the plant are unlikely to be due entirely to any one compound within it, and we often don't understand the interactions of such compounds well enough to reproduce them accurately.

So, very longwindedly, a) yes I think psychoactive mushrooms should be legal and b) I think they should be used with caution, part of the caution being awareness that you don't know how strong the effects from any specific mushroom are going to be.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
This! I have grown/eaten psylocibes, but always thought of it as a "rough" high. One of my nephews told me that he prefers micro dosing, which I'd never heard of. Very cool concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
There are a couple Facebook groups on microdosing where people are really positive about their experiences.
My daughter has been microdosing psilocybin with her therapist's knowledge to treat her depression/bipolar symptoms and is having great success with it. She takes a teensy dose every three days and says it's working better than the lithium she took for five years without the dampening effects and destruction of creativity and libido.

Now I'll grant you she's an experienced psychonaut with quite a few full fledged trips under her belt but she says the effects of the microdose are almost imperceptible aside from a general lightening of her mood and a generally more positive outlook on life. I'm thinking of giving it a try myself, since I'm also pretty experienced with psychedelics and I'm interested in seeing how microdosing does for anxiety/depression and CPTSD.

There've also been some interesting studies that correlate psychedelic usage with a resistance to addiction of multiple substances--there's quite a bit of data to indicate that psychedelics can interrupt addiction and help to prevent future dependencies, so much so that there's a group of therapists in Oregon trying to get legalization of shrooms for therapy on the ballot. Considering the severity of the opioid addiction crisis I think it's a good experiment to try.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Kin we have legal LSD, too?

Psilocybin always seemed like acid’s weak little sister to me.

If I were interested in a another psychedelic experience at 58 years old, I’d rather dose than eat mushrooms.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Kin we have legal LSD, too?

Psilocybin always seemed like acidís weak little sister to me.

If I were interested in a another psychedelic experience at 58 years old, Iíd rather dose than eat mushrooms.
Eventually, we'll get there. Read some of the arguments above about unreliable mushroom dosing and the vagaries of biological products and the obvious answer is: Use professionally made acid.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steken View Post
Did you post the wrong link?

Neither LSD, nor any of its prodrugs, nor any of its analogs, is even mentioned in that article. Neither is psilocybin or any other psychedelic.

Mephedrone is neither a prodrug of LSD, nor one of its analogs, nor a psychedelic in the first place.
Did you see the bolded bit? I have no idea about the specifics of the pharmaceutical quality or dangers of synthetic LSD substitutes. However, the drug labs that are producing legal substitutes under the sham that they are chemical products with a legitimate purpose and "not intended for human consumption" are causing widespread concern. The third link states:

"Another worrying development is the emergence of so-called new psychoactive substances - synthetic drugs made in laboratories, designed to mimic the effects of "traditional" substances. By 2015 the EMCDDA was actively monitoring more than 450 substances, with the potential risks varying with each one."

The first link showed a picture of packet of spice labelled as incense with "not intended for human consumption". Mephedrone was available by mail order because it was "plant food". So is there reason to be dubious about a synthetic LSD substitute "not intended for human consumption"? History indicates yes, and it's very likely the mail-order LSD alternatives are raising concerns.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth MichaelEmouse:

I guess growing mushrooms from spores or sending 0.25'' cardboard squares through the mail must be a lot more difficult than I thought.
Sure, you can send spores through the mail. But if you get caught, you can get arrested for it. And if the police arrest a shroom-grower, they can find out where he got his spores from, and arrest that person, too. And if you have spores you want to sell, you have to be circumspect about advertising that, because your buyers might be cops, and likewise if you're in the market for some, your sellers might be cops.

On the other hand, when the Prohibition-era feds busted a moonshiner, if they tracked down his source of corn, they found... someone selling corn. Who was selling it perfectly transparently on the open market, to whoever he wanted to, with no need for secrecy. And even if they went so far as to ban corn (which of course they didn't), the moonshiners could just switch to potatoes, or wheat, or rice, or anything else.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Sure, you can send spores through the mail. But if you get caught, you can get arrested for it.
What?!? If the police catch you doing something criminal, they can arrest you? Like moonshiners during the Prohibition?

Quote:
And if the police arrest a shroom-grower, they can find out where he got his spores from, and arrest that person, too.
Police: "Where'd you get the spores and the tabs?"
Detainee: "MindMelter69"
Police: "Who's that?! Talk, motherfucker!"
Detainee: "I have no idea. That's the point of using digital currency, the dark web and a Tor browser."

Vendors and producers will go through a Darwinian process, leaving only the most clever and cautious. Trying to stop this is going to be as successful as attempts to stop online file sharing or Amazon.

Remembering some of your posts, I think you may benefit from increased cognitive flexibility: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_flexibility
I've found exercise, meditation and a Tor browser tremendously helpful in increasing mine.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 05-08-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Denver Post said it passed. Narrowly (by 2000 votes)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Denver Post said it passed. Narrowly (by 2000 votes)
50.56% to 49.44% https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...te/1147857001/

I'm pleasantly surprised although I do worry about it possibly going too fast. Society may need to consolidate what it learns through pot legalization before moving on to stuff like mushrooms. That victory could lead to 1) others emulating it too fast 2) too strong a reaction from the usual reactionaries.

Mushrooms were likely chosen because, being "natural", they're the least scary to most people, "just funny vegetables, right?". Robin Carhart-Harris from Imperial College London also chose to do his fMRI studies on mushrooms before LSD because it's not a scary three letter word.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Well, yes, sometimes people can avoid being caught by the police. But not always. If it were always, then this new law would be completely pointless.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Remembering some of your posts, I think you may benefit from increased cognitive flexibility: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_flexibility
I've found exercise, meditation and a Tor browser tremendously helpful in increasing mine.
Think I've seen you on SNL! "Guy at the gym you wish you hadn't started a conversation with."
Old 05-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Sure, you can send spores through the mail. But if you get caught, you can get arrested for it.
Cite?

You can legally purchase psilocybin mushroom spores via mail order in all but a few states for educational purposes. You only break the law if you sporulate the spores, which the seller warns you is not their intended purpose.

From here:

Quote:
Psilocybin spores are legal in all states in the USA except California, Georgia and Idaho. Our psilocybin mushroom spores are sold for microscopic use only. ... Please do not inquire about instructions on how to grow magic mushrooms. We do not have nor do we provide that type of information.