View Poll Results: Which 2020 Democratic candidates should drop out?
Bernie Sanders 35 43.21%
Kamala Harris 12 14.81%
Elizabeth Warren 18 22.22%
Cory Booker 19 23.46%
Amy Klobuchar 20 24.69%
Kirsten Gillibrand 35 43.21%
Michael Bennet 57 70.37%
Beto O'Rourke 32 39.51%
Tulsi Gabbard 54 66.67%
John Delaney 60 74.07%
Eric Swalwell 61 75.31%
Tim Ryan 57 70.37%
Seth Moulton 60 74.07%
Julian Castro 36 44.44%
John Hickenlooper 37 45.68%
Jay Inslee 37 45.68%
Andrew Yang 46 56.79%
Marianne Williamson 60 74.07%
Wayne Messam 65 80.25%
Joe Biden 20 24.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-28-2019, 12:56 PM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,870

2020 Democratic candidates that should drop out


I haven't made made up my mind who I support yet, but there are a number of candidates I think should drop out. Tulsi Gabbard is just plain annoying, and the rest of the Congresspersons seem like they are running for vice president. I don't like Kirsten Gillibrand either.

Who do you think should drop out?

PTF
  #2  
Old 05-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Lamoral's Avatar
Lamoral is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 2,767
Theoretically they should all stay in if their intention is to get their messages out there. But Inslee, Hickenlooper, Klobuchar, Gillibrand, and Gabbard all have no realistic shot at the nomination.
  #3  
Old 05-28-2019, 01:00 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,948
I'd like everyone to drop out except for my preferred candidates. So everyone but Inslee, Booker, Harris, Klobuchar, and Sanders should drop out.
  #4  
Old 05-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. ¥
Posts: 12,244
I voted for the ones I've never heard of, and Bernie.
  #5  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:04 PM
Corry El is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,753
I voted for all the absolute nobodies, plus Beto, Warren and Gillibrand. Some of the others are, yeah, running for VP, but I took into their consideration their legitimate self interest in keeping their profile up for a VP nomination. For example if a white male (even the unlikely case of gay white male Mayor Pete) wins the P nomination, he will almost 100% surely choose a female and/or POC VP, and if it's an older WM then also a younger VP. So people like Booker and Harris really can benefit by sticking around in the P race long enough to show off some good debating or other good campaigning, if they can, even if they can't really light the primary electorate on fire after their underwhelming introductions. Whereas Beto and Warren have also flamed out but nobody is going to pick Beto as VP and Warren really unlikely because of age despite female.
  #6  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:21 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 41,498
Yang, Booker, and sanders.

Yang because no chance, Sanders because his Bernie bros may hand Trump a win, and Bookers because he is crazy anti-gun.
  #7  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:30 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,290
Sanders, Gillibrand, and Gabbard. They’re at the bottom of my list of the candidates with name recognition.

Sanders’ act is tired but his Bernie Bros are still dangerous.

Gillibrand is dead to me after her sandbagging of Al Franken.

Gabbard is a nut job, but I don’t want her developing a cult following either.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42
  #8  
Old 05-28-2019, 02:55 PM
Lamoral's Avatar
Lamoral is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 2,767
Several people on this list, I have never heard their names and I don't have the faintest idea of who they are:

Michael Bennet
John Delaney
Tim Ryan
Marianne Williamson
Wayne Messam

They should drop the hell out because at this point, if we don't know who you are, you haven't been trying hard enough to be worthy of consideration.
  #9  
Old 05-28-2019, 03:28 PM
Covfefe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 100 miles N. of Chicago
Posts: 1,544
I assume there's a limit of 20 poll options. Buttigieg, Bullock, and De Blasio didn't get in.

While I don't dislike the guy's ideas in general, Andrew Yang is the only one I am certain of that should drop out. I have this quaint idea that running a presidential campaign should, you know, actually be oriented toward the goal of running for president. If anyone others are thinking more about publicity than a potential 2020 run, they also should drop out.

Last edited by Covfefe; 05-28-2019 at 03:31 PM.
  #10  
Old 05-28-2019, 03:54 PM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
I assume there's a limit of 20 poll options. Buttigieg, Bullock, and De Blasio didn't get in.
My fault. My list didn't have DeBlasio, but I just dropped the ball on Buttigieg and Bullock.
  #11  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:21 PM
foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I haven't made made up my mind who I support yet, but there are a number of candidates I think should drop out. Tulsi Gabbard is just plain annoying, and the rest of the Congresspersons seem like they are running for vice president. I don't like Kirsten Gillibrand either.

Who do you think should drop out?

PTF
Yeah, this is why I'm not convinced this kind of thing makes sense.

I actually like those two better than most of the field. But to be fair, I'm not convinced either is the right choice for President, at least this cycle.
  #12  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:23 PM
foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Yang, Booker, and sanders.

Yang because no chance, Sanders because his Bernie bros may hand Trump a win, and Bookers because he is crazy anti-gun.
Stop making me like Booker!
  #13  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:27 PM
TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 40,372
What about Booty-Edge-Edge?
  #14  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:32 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 5,162
I only voted for the ones that I have heard next to zero about, and I pay pretty close attention to this stuff. I didn't choose based on my preferences, or my "please go away" candidates.

I can't help but wonder what the underlying grift is for running when one has next to zero chance of making a dent? It seems that just about anyone can attract donations. But the law says you can't just pocket the money once you drop out. It really is curious to me.

Last edited by Icarus; 05-28-2019 at 05:33 PM.
  #15  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:58 PM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 19,396
Some focused candidates — Yang, Buttigieg, Inslee — may improve the debates, but wasting stage space on a dozen more mundane also-rans will just detract from the Ds needs.

I checked the Bernie Box also — I'd love it if the Ds could find some way to harvest Bernie energy; but don't give this socialist a shot at the nomination.
  #16  
Old 05-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Locrian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valley Village, CA
Posts: 4,269
Harris (MOST definitely), Booker, Beto, whathsisnames, whatshernames... everyone except Warren & Biden. Ticket should be Biden/Warren.
  #17  
Old 05-28-2019, 06:35 PM
Lamoral's Avatar
Lamoral is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 2,767
Biden is going to need someone who's not old and white to balance his ticket, Warren would be an awful choice.
  #18  
Old 05-29-2019, 07:46 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,404
I voted for Bennet, Delaney, Swalwell, Molton, Ryan, Williamson, and Mesam on the grounds that I've never heard of them.

Then I added Yang, because the Presidency is not an entry-level position. If he wants to be in politics, he needs to run for something else.

Then I added Warren, because although I like her, she's doing terribly by any objective measure, despite plenty of name recognition, and Sanders is doing a much better job of representing basically the same ideological space as her.

And then I added Gabbard, because she's in the wrong party.
  #19  
Old 05-29-2019, 08:24 AM
MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 373
Everyone but Sanders, Warren, and Gabbard. I want Sanders to win, with one of the others as the VP. I won't vote for anyone else (so you can blame the 2020 results on ME)

I see a repeat of 2016 - the DNC will pick a right-winger to lose against Trump.

Last edited by MortSahlFan; 05-29-2019 at 08:27 AM.
  #20  
Old 05-29-2019, 08:27 AM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,312
I voted for the ones I never heard of (because if someone reasonably attentive to the news hasn't heard of them, they're wasting their time) and Gabbard (who is too deeply steeped in both-siderist nonsense* to be taken seriously).

*Specifically, I dismissed her when she both-sided the government shutdown a few months ago.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #21  
Old 05-29-2019, 10:16 AM
MEBuckner's Avatar
MEBuckner is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 12,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
My fault. My list didn't have DeBlasio, but I just dropped the ball on Buttigieg and Bullock.
Wait, wait, wait--you can't rattle off the names of every single Democratic candidate from memory? What kind of conscientious and patriotic American citizen are you, anyway?
__________________
"In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves." -- Carl Sagan

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
  #22  
Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. ¥
Posts: 12,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
Everyone but Sanders, Warren, and Gabbard. I want Sanders to win, with one of the others as the VP. I won't vote for anyone else (so you can blame the 2020 results on ME)

I see a repeat of 2016 - the DNC will pick a right-winger to lose against Trump.
Luckily, the DNC can't actually pick the nominee.
  #23  
Old 05-29-2019, 10:20 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,404
Wait, MortSahlFan, you don't want a right-winger, and two of your top three choices are Sanders and Warren... but your third choice is the most right-wing candidate in the lot? I don't get it.
  #24  
Old 05-29-2019, 10:58 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Let Biden and Bernie slug it out. Gabbard should stay in to force foreign policy into the discussion. Yang should have a constituency. Everyone else has no purpose in my opinion. Blank-faced pols.
  #25  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Wait, MortSahlFan, you don't want a right-winger, and two of your top three choices are Sanders and Warren... but your third choice is the most right-wing candidate in the lot? I don't get it.
Which of Gabbard’s positions or characteristics make her right-wing? Her measured demeanor and composure?
  #26  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:03 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Which of Gabbard’s positions or characteristics make her right-wing? Her measured demeanor and composure?
Her hawkish rhetoric and advocacy, especially regarding Iran. https://jacobinmag.com/2019/01/yes-t...-deal-war-hawk

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-29-2019 at 11:04 AM.
  #27  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:42 AM
Ulf the Unwashed is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Wait, MortSahlFan, you don't want a right-winger, and two of your top three choices are Sanders and Warren... but your third choice is the most right-wing candidate in the lot? I don't get it.
With the possible exception of Gabbard, any candidate the Democrats nominate this cycle will be in favor of LBGTQ rights, will be in favor of a much more equitable tax structure than the Republicans are, will work to safeguard voting rights, will do the same with reproductive rights, will work to extend the government's role in health care, will work to remove many of the barriers to immigration, will be in favor of reversing climate change and protecting the environment, and will nominate judges who will generally support these things. All very right-wing principles.

I wonder what it is about those things that MortSahlFan finds so objectionable?
  #28  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:48 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,406
I see lots of Biden fans here , at least so far. Can't understand that.
  #29  
Old 05-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. ¥
Posts: 12,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I see lots of Biden fans here , at least so far. Can't understand that.
Experienced, moderate, perceived as best chance to beat Trump.

Not my first (or second) choice, but acceptable.
  #30  
Old 05-29-2019, 12:13 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Her hawkish rhetoric and advocacy, especially regarding Iran. https://jacobinmag.com/2019/01/yes-t...-deal-war-hawk
Hmm. So Harris is the most hawkish and right-wing of all candidates. I look forward to your further education on the matter.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 05-29-2019 at 12:14 PM.
  #31  
Old 05-29-2019, 12:14 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Hmm. So Harris is the most hawkish of all candidates. I look forward to your further education on the matter.
Assuming you misspoke and mean Gabbard, then yes, she is the most hawkish, by my reading. And I'm not sure if it's even close, when it comes to the last 5 years or so.
  #32  
Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Gabbard was beloved by progressives until she met with Assad, who just had to go according to the Wilsonian hawks.
  #33  
Old 05-29-2019, 12:18 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Gabbard was beloved by progressives until she met with Assad, who just had to go according to the Wilsonian hawks.
Somehow I remain unconvinced by your supposed mind-reading of progressives.
  #34  
Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Assuming you misspoke and mean Gabbard, then yes, she is the most hawkish, by my reading. And I'm not sure if it's even close, when it comes to the last 5 years or so.
Yeah when you are searching for items to disqualify Gabbard, they are easy to find. Much easier for Harris. Since Gabbard is an antiwar stalwart who makes courageous stands against war and meets with and confronts dictators I tend to take a pragmatic approach.

Harris’ claim to fame is literally mass incarceration and she makes no antiwar statements of any kind.
  #35  
Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Yeah when you are searching for items to disqualify Gabbard, they are easy to find. Much easier for Harris. Since Gabbard is an antiwar stalwart who makes courageous stands against war and meets with and confronts dictators I tend to take a pragmatic approach.

Harris’ claim to fame is literally mass incarceration and she makes no antiwar statements of any kind.
So says WillF! Sure, progressives might make their own judgments and investigations when it comes to progressive candidates, but why not just accept cite-free assertions from someone who has made it clear that they despise progressives?

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-29-2019 at 12:29 PM.
  #36  
Old 05-29-2019, 12:35 PM
ShadowFacts is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Then I added Warren, because although I like her, she's doing terribly by any objective measure, despite plenty of name recognition, and Sanders is doing a much better job of representing basically the same ideological space as her.
You might want to revisit your assumptions about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
After five months as a presidential candidate, Ms. Warren is showing signs of success at distinguishing herself in a packed field. She has inched higher in national polls and, at events within the last month, consistently overshot the campaign’s expected number of attendees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
Several recent national polls have placed Ms. Warren at the front of the pack of candidates who are clustered behind Mr. Biden and Mr. Sanders. She has gained ground in polls over the last several weeks, while support for Mr. Sanders dipped after Mr. Biden joined the race.
Everyone is chasing Biden at the moment, and while Sanders is decidedly second, he is currently dropping while Warren is (slowly) rising.
  #37  
Old 05-29-2019, 02:05 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
So says WillF! Sure, progressives might make their own judgments and investigations when it comes to progressive candidates, but why not just accept cite-free assertions from someone who has made it clear that they despise progressives?
Name one candidate on this list who you feel is more antiwar than Gabbard so we can compare.

It is no surprise that the attacks on Gabbard are coming from pro-war hawks. They will use all types of disingenuous tactics to attack Gabbard from the left while running candidates on the right like Harris, a quasi-fascist.

The Gabbard haters loved her until she turned on the Uber-hawk Clinton and moderate hawk Obama’s intervention in Syria. There was that mainstream millennial columnist who embarrassed herself on Rogan That was funny you should look that up. Typical Doper response to Gabbard.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 05-29-2019 at 02:08 PM.
  #38  
Old 05-29-2019, 02:11 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Name one candidate on this list who you feel is more antiwar than Gabbard so we can compare.

It is no surprise that the attacks on Gabbard are coming from pro-war hawks. They will use all types of disingenuous tactics to attack Gabbard from the left while running candidates on the right like Harris, a quasi-fascist.
Enjoy taking down these straw men! I won't take part, but I'll giggle from the sidelines.

Quote:
The Gabbard haters loved her until she turned on the Uber-hawk Clinton and moderate hawk Obama’s intervention in Syria. There was that mainstream millennial columnist who embarrassed herself on Rogan That was funny you should look that up. Typical Doper response to Gabbard.
You get that purple monkey bicycle on the chainwax good! Bring pie and take the stairs! Karate kick the bacon up the slide!
  #39  
Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,406
Don't understand why people think Biden has best shot of beating Trump. Biden's experience is mostly way too long as a Senator from a very blue state with about 50 people in it. And holding Obama's coat for 8 years.
  #40  
Old 05-29-2019, 03:42 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,404
Look, who are you going to believe, WillFarnaby or Tulsi Gabbard? I mean, obviously, you can't trust her when she describes herself as a total hawk who wants to escalate military involvement in the world.
  #41  
Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Enjoy taking down these straw men! I won't take part, but I'll giggle from the sidelines.



You get that purple monkey bicycle on the chainwax good! Bring pie and take the stairs! Karate kick the bacon up the slide!
Asking for a candidate to compare Gabbard to is a strawman. Of course none will be forthcoming. Every candidate on the list with the possible exception of Sanders is more hawkish than Gabbard by a mile.
  #42  
Old 05-29-2019, 05:20 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Look, who are you going to believe, WillFarnaby or Tulsi Gabbard? I mean, obviously, you can't trust her when she describes herself as a total hawk who wants to escalate military involvement in the world.
Who is less hawkish than Gabbard from this list?
  #43  
Old 05-29-2019, 08:28 PM
Fair Rarity's Avatar
Fair Rarity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,169
I picked most of the people I know the least about. I am following this fairly closely and cuts need to be made for polling purposes. I don't want most of them to reallllly drop off out in case they're going to shine later, but I voted for them in this poll because I don't think they are going to.

And Biden because he's such a creepy weirdo who had clearly not listened to everyone telling him to stop. And Bernie because... well, I don't think he'd be good at it in 2020 and that's all I have to say about that. And Tulsi because she is the only Dem candidate that would make me seriously hesitate in voting for in the general.
  #44  
Old 05-29-2019, 10:09 PM
Heffalump and Roo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,249
DNC just set new requirements for the third round of debates.

New: DNC to raise qualifying threshold for third presidential primary debate in Sept.

According to Nate Silver, that may narrow the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Bad news for anyone not named Joe, Bernie, Elizabeth, Kamala, Pete, Beto and maybe Amy or Cory or Andrew.
  #45  
Old 05-30-2019, 02:58 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 24,504
Why should anyone leave? One way or another, there will be a single winner in the end. Drawing out the battle royale will just make him or her stronger.
  #46  
Old 05-30-2019, 05:00 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
DNC just set new requirements for the third round of debates.

New: DNC to raise qualifying threshold for third presidential primary debate in Sept.

According to Nate Silver, that may narrow the field.
Those are not outrageous requirements. The first two rounds of debates will send the no-names packing. If the survivors can't get up to 2% in the polls and can't begin building an organization by the end of summer, they're not a factor.
  #47  
Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 84,404
OK, WillFarnaby, for starters, Sanders, Harris, Warren, Booker, Klobuchar, Gillibrand, O'Rourke, Castro, Hickenlooper, Inslee, Yang, and Biden are all less hawkish than Gabbard. I don't know about the rest.
  #48  
Old 05-30-2019, 01:08 PM
DSeid's Avatar
DSeid is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 22,318
So what I find interesting about the poll results so far is who is being least disliked or dismissed: by far Kamala Harris.

She's not been too many's favorite candidate and maybe not even second choice for lots, but very few think that she shouldn't be in the race. (Whether that be because she is objectionable, see Sanders for that, or immaterial, see Messam for that.)

Making an unwarranted assumption that we reflect the general Democratic electorate, what does that portend for her? Anything?
  #49  
Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Ulf the Unwashed is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,454
That's an interesting observation and question, DSeid.

I think of 1988, when Dukakis was everybody's second or third choice (his kindergarten report, I joked back then--having been a kindergarten teacher at the time--read "Everybody likes Mikey, but nobody likes him very much").

Didn't work out very well, did it. I don't know which Democrat would have won that year or necessarily made it close, but it seemed even then that a decent Democratic candidate facing Bush should have won a lot more than ten states.

On the other hand, that's just one data point, and 1988 was a lot of years ago, and the country is a lot more polarized than it used to be. And to me at least Harris seems to have more substance about her than Dukakis ever did--So maybe it's a bad analogy.

So probably it doesn't portend much of anything. Hmm.
  #50  
Old 05-30-2019, 11:22 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 41,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
So what I find interesting about the poll results so far is who is being least disliked or dismissed: by far Kamala Harris.

She's not been too many's favorite candidate and maybe not even second choice for lots, but very few think that she shouldn't be in the race. (Whether that be because she is objectionable, see Sanders for that, or immaterial, see Messam for that.)

Making an unwarranted assumption that we reflect the general Democratic electorate, what does that portend for her? Anything?
Well, yes, she's generally acceptable to many, and she hasnt had the hate campaign against her like Biden has had.

But if you take that hate campaign into account, Biden is doing very well here.

I am rather surprised at how many think it's time for Sanders to go.

Last edited by DrDeth; 05-30-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017