Old 06-06-2019, 03:39 PM

I have left the Democratic Party.

Went down to the courthouse yesterday, intending to change my affiliation to Green Party. The registrar, who I know slightly, told me that I would have to register as "Other" and specify Green, but that it would be self-defeating, since the Green Party has little to no representation in this state.

The options were Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Mountain, Unaffiliated and Other. I chose unaffiliated, for the time being. I'll find out about the Mountain Party; I had already decided not to be a libertarian. If Mountain does not appeal to me, I'll stay unaffiliated.

It's a weird feeling, like the first time I flew. Or, for that matter, like the first time I voted. Thirty-one years ago, I cast my first vote, in the Illinois primary, for my senator, Paul Simon. A Democrat. But the party has changed since he was a pillar of it, and I no longer want to claim it.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:42 PM

Alrighty then.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:42 PM

Lucky this isn't Soviet Russia where party leave you, in Gulag.

What was the last straw?

Last edited by QuickSilver; 06-06-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Mountain?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Why do you feel the need to belong to be affiliated with a political party?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:47 PM

Can you point to an area, on the doll, where the Party hurt you?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Mountain?
Apparently it's the Green Party of West Virginia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Party
Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
Can you point to an area, on the doll, where the Party hurt you?
Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! Thread winner!
Old 06-06-2019, 03:54 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U...sults_by_state

Look at the results for Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. If the votes which went to the Green Party in those states had gone to the Dems, they would have picked up 46 additional electoral votes, for a total of 273 for the Dems and 258 for the GOP. Trump must be really thankful for Jill Stein.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U...sults_by_state

Look at the results for Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. If the votes which went to the Green Party in those states had gone to the Dems, they would have picked up 46 additional electoral votes, for a total of 273 for the Dems and 258 for the GOP. Trump must be really thankful for Jill Stein.
Or extra grateful to Putin, who appears to have put Jill Stein in play.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:58 PM

QuickSilver, it's just backing up on me, the way the Dems are so hell-bent on impeaching Trump, they're not accomplishing anything. Whoever gets the nomination next year will be running solely to beat Trump, not because they want the job for its own sake.

Unreconstructed Man: Aha! It's the West Virginia branch of the Green Party! I'll still check it out further before I decide.

TriPolar: Not sure what you mean. Dallas Jones: hee-hee.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

OBE.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 06-06-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
QuickSilver, it's just backing up on me, the way the Dems are so hell-bent on impeaching Trump, they're not accomplishing anything.
Wrong on both counts. Many Dems, and more daily and some Republicans too, do see the national need for impeachment, but not "the party". As for what else they're doing, check this out. If anything's not getting through the Senate, you know why.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 06-06-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
QuickSilver, it's just backing up on me, the way the Dems are so hell-bent on impeaching Trump, they're not accomplishing anything. Whoever gets the nomination next year will be running solely to beat Trump, not because they want the job for its own sake.
There is nothing more important than getting rid of Trump. Nothing. We can debate whether impeaching him is the best method, and we are debating that. But criticizing the Dems for making that a priority seems a bit bizarre to me.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
There is nothing more important than getting rid of Trump. Nothing.
I don't agree, and that's why I'm leaving.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
There is nothing more important than getting rid of Trump. Nothing. We can debate whether impeaching him is the best method, and we are debating that. But criticizing the Dems for making that a priority seems a bit bizarre to me.
Agreed. Defining yourself according to what you're against has pitfalls but when what you're against is a president who's a combination of Howard Stern and that embarrassing uncle you have to hide the booze from, that's good enough for now.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I don't agree, and that's why I'm leaving.
That's certainly your right. I wish you well. But what would you consider more important than getting rid of Trump? Everything the Mountain Party seems to care about would be significantly advanced with Trump "retired" to a farm upstate.

Last edited by Procrustus; 06-06-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Furthermore, there isn't really anything beyond the very basics that can be done beyond this, with control of only 1/2 of the 3 branches of government. And we have been doing the very basics like passing bills that even BM MM can't deny. But anything substantive will be torpedoed. The House could pass the greatest bills ever and people would still complain that they aren't doing anything because none of them become law. So may as well investigate and impeach.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:28 PM

This is the certainly the first time I've heard someone make the complaint that the Democrats are doing too much towards impeaching Trump, I'll tell ya that.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-06-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
QuickSilver, it's just backing up on me, the way the Dems are so hell-bent on impeaching Trump, they're not accomplishing anything.
You appear to have been deceived by the narrative that Trump has been trying to spin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump
The Democrats are getting nothing done in Congress. All of their effort is about a Re-Do of the Mueller Report, which didn’t turn out the way they wanted. It is not possible for them to investigate and legislate at the same time. Their heart is not into Infrastructure, lower.....

....drug prices, pre-existing conditions and our great Vets. All they are geared up to do, six committees, is squander time, day after day, trying to find anything which will be bad for me. A pure fishing expedition like this never happened before, & it should never happen again!
Democrats in Congress are getting things done. Trump and Republicans are just ignoring them.
Quote:
Trump is objectively wrong; House Democrats haven’t been squandering time. In addition to their investigations, they’ve been passing legislation at a rapid clip. In all, the House has taken up 51 bills, resolutions, and suspensions since January — 49 of which they’ve passed. This includes a slate of bills to attempt to end the longest government shutdown in history, the result of a protracted fight between Trump and Congress over border wall funding.

Ironically, over the past two weeks, the House has passed bills to address most of the issues Trump mentioned in his tweet. They recently passed a bill to lower prescription drug prices, and another one to protect preexisting conditions. The House also passed nine bills on veterans issues this week alone, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi noted at her weekly press conference. On Thursday, Democrats tried to present Trump their infrastructure plan before he walked out of their meeting.

So if the House is passing all these bills, why does it seem like Congress isn’t getting anything done? Welcome to the reality of divided government in Washington. The vast majority of House Democrats’ agenda has hit a dead end in the Republican-controlled Senate, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has dubbed himself the “grim reaper” of Democratic legislation. Pelosi has blasted the Senate leader for embracing this role, saying he’s working for special interests in Washington, rather than the people of the United States.

“The Senate is the graveyard where bills that pass in the Congress, that have bipartisan support in the country, go to die,” Pelosi said at a recent press conference.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
That's certainly your right. I wish you well. But what would you consider more important than getting rid of Trump? Everything the Mountain Party seems to care about would be significantly advanced with Trump "retired" to a farm upstate.
I am curious about this as well.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I am curious about this as well.
I have another question I'd like to ask the O.P.: what is your take on what the Mueller report revealed?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
You appear to have been deceived by the narrative that Trump has been trying to spin:
Yes. In the time it takes to go to the courthouse one could have just done some research and used another source than the Bullshitter in Chief to learn the truth.

Actually, in the time that it took to write the OP one probably could have learned that the premise of the OP was faulty.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
TriPolar: Not sure what you mean.
You sound intent on joining some particular political party. Why don't you just stay independent?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Went down to the courthouse yesterday, intending to change my affiliation ....
And unless I've missed you haven't spelled out what you were disappointed with. What is it?
Old 06-06-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Third-party followers loooove to cut off their noses to spite their face.

"I'm taking a stand on my pet issue--fighting baby seal hunting! I don't care if I know this 3rd-party candidate has no chance in hell! I don't care if Party A (which is wildly in favor of killing seal pups and grinding them up) wins, because Party B (whose platform includes a bill to stop seal hunting) is not perfect and pure!"

And when Party A wins by a measly margin that would've probably been erased if the 3rd-party candidate voters hadn't flounced and thrown away their vote, and as the president-elect holds up a baby seal carcass at a cheering rally yelling Club those seals! Club those seals!, and he subsequently names a buddy of his as Secretary in Charge of Protecting Baby Seals--a friend who just so happens to run the billion-dollar Deadsealco conglomerate, and after some months, the shores are glutted with carcasses of dead baby seals...

They shrug their shoulders. "See?" they tell Party B people and various desolate organizations dedicated to protecting marine life. "That's what you get for not listening to us."

So, uh, yeah. Good luck with that.

Last edited by choie; 06-06-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

When I was still in California, I was registered as non-partisan (or unaffiliated, or whatever). Here in Washington, you do not register by political party. (I know the link is for the other side of the state, but it still applies.)
Old 06-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Oh hey, BTW: you know how many House Democrats are pro-impeachment? As of yesterday, about 55. How many House Democrats are not? About 240. What is that, nearly 1/5th? So roughly 20% vs. 80%.

That's definitely worth essentially supporting Trump.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Some follow-up questions:
1) What would you prefer that they do rather than concentrating on beating Trump.
2) If they did defeat Trump do you think that the chances of those things getting done are more, less or the same as if Trump defeated them?
3) Outside of this set of agenda items do you see Trump as in any other way inferior to the sort of candidate you expect to win the Democratic nomination?
3) Does this change of party registration also mean that you intend not to vote for the Democratic Candidate in the general election?
Old 06-06-2019, 05:24 PM

As long as you vote for the Democratic candidate against Trump in the general, I don't care what your party registration is.

EDIT: When looking back at this thread, this new thread is not surprising in the least. Obviously people who "don't see what [Trump]'s done that is so horrible" are probably not inclined to be Democrats right now.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 06-06-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:27 PM

I'm reminded of this kind of reasoning
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulaney
But sometimes I ask people. I go, “Hey, how come you opened the door for the horse?” And they go, “Well, the hospital was inefficient!”
Old 06-06-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
As long as you vote for the Democratic candidate against Trump in the general, I don't care what your party registration is.

EDIT: When looking back at this thread, this new thread is not surprising in the least. Obviously people who "don't see what [Trump]'s done that is so horrible" are probably not inclined to be Democrats right now.
That other OP is the first time I think I've ever seen or heard a self-described Democrat use the pejorative "social justice warrior". Lotta "firsts" for me in this thread eh.
Quote:
So it seems that these slacktivists, these social justice warriors,
Old 06-06-2019, 05:49 PM

The Democratic Congress has passed a relatively high number of progressive priorities since taking power earlier this year. Only in the mind of Hannity or Trump himself are the Democrats "not accomplishing anything". They're accomplishing a lot, at least in terms of the power they actually have (i.e. half of one of three branches of government).
Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
That other OP is the first time I think I've ever seen or heard a self-described Democrat use the pejorative "social justice warrior". Lotta "firsts" for me in this thread eh.
You need to get out more if that's the first time you've ever heard a Democrat say something along those lines. Have a discussion with some of the southern or other blue dog Dems some time...might be an eye opener to you who all is in your party, and what all they believe. That's the thing about the Dems, especially, and their big tent...there are all sorts in there, and a lot of them aren't anything like in lock step with the various factions or even the establishment. What, did you think that it was all progressives, greens and liberal establishment types all the way down??

As to the OP, not sure the point of the thread, but there is no reason someone has to be a member. I've been unaligned since Bush I's re-election and the only thing I've missed is voting in the primary, and that only occasionally. If you don't want to be a Democrat (or a Republican, or whatever), that's fine. Vote Green if that's what floats your boat!

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
You need to get out more if that's the first time you've ever heard a Democrat say something along those lines. Have a discussion with some of the southern or other blue dog Dems some time...might be an eye opener to you who all is in your party, and what all they believe. That's the thing about the Dems, especially, and their big tent...there are all sorts in there, and a lot of them aren't anything like in lock step with the various factions or even the establishment. What, did you think that it was all progressives, greens and liberal establishment types all the way down??
I know that we're a big tent, but I'm still kind of shocked when I meet a Democrat who is bewildered that other Democrats are very angry about Trump, who spent years unapologetically spreading an evidence-free racist conspiracy theory, bragged about sexual assault and violating the consent of women, said bigoted things about (and advocated for bigoted policy towards) Mexicans and Muslims, tried to overturn the signature progressive policy of the last President, and much more.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 06-06-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Register as a Republican and vote in the primary.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
I know that we're a big tent, but I'm still kind of shocked when I meet a Democrat who is bewildered that other Democrats are very angry about Trump, who spent years unapologetically spreading an evidence-free racist conspiracy theory, bragged about sexual assault and violating the consent of women, said bigoted things about (and advocated for bigoted policy towards) Mexicans and Muslims, tried to overturn the signature progressive policy of the last President, and much more.
If the OP is actually thinking about joining the Green party (or the local equivalent) then it's possibly s/he doesn't share your views that Trump is the most important. Perhaps they feel that the environment is. Honestly, I share your view on this that the most important thing the Dems should be doing is impeaching the guy (though probably we differ as to why in a lot of cases), and I'm not in your party. But it should come as no shock, if you really understand how big your tent is that there are plenty of folks who don't agree with it. Heck, I've seen polls where, oh, say 5% of self described Dems say Trump is doing a good job on this or that. And, patently, a shift of some percent of blue collar or blue dog Dems helped swing the vote for Trump in the last election...and not all of them were fooled by the Russians or fake news or whatever (or, they might be susceptible to the fake news because it conforms to their world view).

My family is mainly Democrat (Hispanics generally are), and you would be shocked by some of the things they believe and advocate for...and like and dislike in your party, or what they feel about some of the policies. Heck, I've seen Dems on this board who have said similar things in threads about Trump as the OP, i.e. to them it's NOT the most important thing and the fact that the progressives are pushing it makes them nervous or pissed off. I did a thread on this, in fact, and was surprised by the number of Dems or liberals who DIDN'T think we should be focused solely on that.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
If the OP is actually thinking about joining the Green party (or the local equivalent) then it's possibly s/he doesn't share your views that Trump is the most important. Perhaps they feel that the environment is. Honestly, I share your view on this that the most important thing the Dems should be doing is impeaching the guy (though probably we differ as to why in a lot of cases), and I'm not in your party. But it should come as no shock, if you really understand how big your tent is that there are plenty of folks who don't agree with it. Heck, I've seen polls where, oh, say 5% of self described Dems say Trump is doing a good job on this or that. And, patently, a shift of some percent of blue collar or blue dog Dems helped swing the vote for Trump in the last election...and not all of them were fooled by the Russians or fake news or whatever (or, they might be susceptible to the fake news because it conforms to their world view).
I'm not shocked by debates on impeachment -- I'm not even sure what the best path forward is. I'm shocked by the sentiment that anyone doesn't get why Democrats are so strongly opposed to Trump.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
You need to get out more if that's the first time you've ever heard a Democrat say something along those lines. Have a discussion with some of the southern or other blue dog Dems some time...might be an eye opener to you who all is in your party, and what all they believe.
Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! Hilarious! You think I'm a Democrat!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not shocked by debates on impeachment -- I'm not even sure what the best path forward is. I'm shocked by the sentiment that anyone doesn't get why Democrats are so strongly opposed to Trump.
Yet you know that some self identified Democrats voted for the guy, right? I mean, yeah, I get it...or, I guess I don't get it as well...it's a head scratcher that anyone would approve of this idiot. Yet, I've seen polls where self identified Dems DO think he's doing a good job, usually on some vertical issue or other to be sure, but look at any poll and you'll see that some percentage of Dems do believe this. It really shouldn't be shocking to anyone, to be honest. Perplexing, to me anyway, but not shocking.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:28 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! Hilarious! You think I'm a Democrat!
Well, lots of folks seem shocked I'm not a Republican, so there you go.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Yet you know that some self identified Democrats voted for the guy, right? I mean, yeah, I get it...or, I guess I don't get it as well...it's a head scratcher that anyone would approve of this idiot. Yet, I've seen polls where self identified Dems DO think he's doing a good job, usually on some vertical issue or other to be sure, but look at any poll and you'll see that some percentage of Dems do believe this. It really shouldn't be shocking to anyone, to be honest. Perplexing, to me anyway, but not shocking.
Some Democrats voted for Bush. I know there are a handful of Democrats that tend to usually vote for Republicans. Those aren't really Democrats in any functional sense.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Some Democrats voted for Bush. I know there are a handful of Democrats that tend to usually vote for Republicans. Those aren't really Democrats in any functional sense.
But you realize there are more than a handful (maybe 5%, maybe 10%) of self identified Democrats that approve of Trump in the various polls...right? And that a lot of disaffected Dems in the last election tipped the scale for Trump...right?

Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
But you realize there are more than a handful (maybe 5%, maybe 10%) of self identified Democrats that approve of Trump in the various polls...right? And that a lot of disaffected Dems in the last election tipped the scale for Trump...right?
Yeah, but the same (to some degree) can be said for virtually every president, if not all of them.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
The Democratic Congress has passed a relatively high number of progressive priorities since taking power earlier this year. Only in the mind of Hannity or Trump himself are the Democrats "not accomplishing anything". They're accomplishing a lot, at least in terms of the power they actually have (i.e. half of one of three branches of government).
Can you list some of those progressive priorities that have been passed? I must have missed them.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Can you list some of those progressive priorities that have been passed? I must have missed them.
Post #20 not enough detail?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Post #20 mentioned a lot of things the House has passed. But not Congress. Since, you know, Congress has two houses.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Post #20 mentioned a lot of things the House has passed. But not Congress. Since, you know, Congress has two houses.
Yes, but that means that trump is attacking Democrats because they don't control the Senate too.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Yes, but that means that trump is attacking Democrats because they don't control the Senate too.
I don't care what the President does. I care about someone saying "The Democratic Congress has passed a relatively high number of progressive priorities since taking power earlier this year" when it doesn't seem like Congress has passed anything.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I was only talking about the House (sometimes the House is called Congress). Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 06-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.